A chatting thread for the newcomers?

Started by Captain Maltese, May 18, 2008, 02:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

As a social thing, I consider the Steambox a success for those who choose to use it. Why not make a similar thread where the applicants can hang in for non-interrogatory purposes? Not for any kind of roleplay, but just to have a taste of the social part of Elli. I'd certainly follow it, and with more interest than I have had in the intro threads lately.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Vekseid

Actually I may just make the shoutbox openly writable.

NightBird

The shoutbox can be cool, but I have to say I find a thread conversation more enjoyable, since there isn't such a tight limit on how much can be on a single line.

Captain Maltese

At this point I'm no longer interested in shoutboxes; a thread placed in the Introduction subforum would be easier to follow too.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Vekseid

Captain Maltese

Sherona

Question...what would be different about this thread then their intro thread? Discussions, and play are encouraged there as well...it also gives people a sense of welcome when they are the attention rather then going into a thread where everyone is the attention.

Plus I am concerned that people who usually are around to welcome people will not do so, but hang around in this new thread instead of welcoming them (new ones might not see these other threads)

Captain Maltese

Well, a thread where it isn't all about them could be seen as more comfortable than being in the spotlight. I also note that most of the newcomers don't write anything in the other newcomers' threads, so this might give them a chance to interact without feeling they intrude?

I am not usually around to welcome newcomers any more for a number of reasons; I see this too as a way for me to help along with the welcoming a little bit without taking part of every new intro thread.

Vekseid

Yes, please, if someone is low on responses, please pay attention to their thread first. I will nuke it if people don't.

Captain Maltese

Moondazed

Intro threads also have pretty strict rules about interactions between other members.  Remember... PG13 and it's a face for Elliquiy... play nice :P  Those are MY sentiments, just to be clear, I love E and wouldn't want people to think that we're snarky :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Greenthorn

I am on the fence about the idea.  One thing is though that as some people are shy and others are not....

*will continue doing as usual and hit the intros instead*

(I foresee troubles tomorrow)

Captain Maltese

Tomorrow's worse than usual?

Oh well, I think the deciding factor is whether in fact any of the newcomers are interested in it or not. If it's not of interest for them, then delete it. If it attracts interest, then let's see if it can be improved upon.

Sherona

Quote from: Greenthorn on May 18, 2008, 06:26:28 PM
I am on the fence about the idea.  One thing is though that as some people are shy and others are not....

*will continue doing as usual and hit the intros instead*

(I foresee troubles tomorrow)

That was my concern as well GT, but Veks is pretty serious about Nuking it if people's individual threads get ignored so its a good balance.

Elvi

I had spoken to Vex about starting an Elliquiy café thread in off topic, for the same reason as Calico.
At the time I spoke to him, it was just as the mentor system had begun and people had seemed to have stopped posting their hellos.
After thinking on it, I decided to leave it for a few days and see what happened, after all we seem to be bombarding new applicants with all sorts now and felt that adding something else might just confuse the issue.
Low and behold, people are posting in the new threads again and we're back to a more normal flow in the welcoming department.....   
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Moondazed

I think it would be a great idea for someone to cry out "New Intro Thread!" or something similar in the chat thread if someone new applies :)  That way it's less likely that new intros will be ignored in favor of the chat :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Captain Maltese

Quote from: moondazed on May 18, 2008, 07:05:19 PM
I think it would be a great idea for someone to cry out "New Intro Thread!" or something similar in the chat thread if someone new applies :)  That way it's less likely that new intros will be ignored in favor of the chat :)

Say that again? Or I could be too late for bed to have things make sense to me.

Moondazed

If someone saw a new intro thread post then a cry of some sort in the intro chat thread might help everyone not to miss it.  Just a thought to help the two work together.  I was picturing times when people at bars call things out in unison at sports bars :)

Captain Maltese

Hey, good idea. I don't watch the Intro subforum but the Doormat will always pop up in the New Threads list.

Moondazed

Exactly :)  I'm having a hell of a time remembering to watch the intro thread, I hadn't realized how much I relied on the Show new replies to your posts option.

Greenthorn

*laughs* I'll be the annoying voice

HURRY NEW INTRO HAS ARRIVED!!

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Greenthorn on May 18, 2008, 07:41:50 PM
*laughs* I'll be the annoying voice

HURRY NEW INTRO HAS ARRIVED!!

*plugs up ears with wax* keep it down in there, i am trying to sleep! *giggles*
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Moondazed

Greenthorn

WHAT?!?! MOON DID YOU SAY SOMETHING?!?!?!?

*removes ear plugs*

Who was shouting?

Moondazed

*shaking my head*

:P

I was saying that someone should say something in the intro chat thread :)  But here works too... hell, anywhere and everywhere!  (Please don't take that literally :P )