Registering for the forum and gender issues

Started by sparkles, June 13, 2013, 11:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkles

Hi there.  I hate for my first post here to be a complaint, but if the person who pointed me at this forum hadn't reassured me that you really were welcoming to all genders I would have left without registering and never looked back, because your registration page asks for my sex, and only gives "male" and "female" as options.  (I am genderqueer.)  I actually closed the page and left when I saw that, without getting a chance to realize that it wasn't actually required.  If there is ANY way to remove it I really suggest you do.  It's incredibly off-putting to those of us who aren't comfortable with being force to disclose our genitals in order to register for a site.  I boycott places that require it, and you folks nearly got boycotted along with them.

Beguile's Mistress

Hello, sparkles.

Welcome to Elliquiy.  During the approval process you can use the male or female gender tag or leave it blank as you did.  If you are approved you'll have the opportunity to select Lady, Liege or Lord as your user group.  Based on your comments above I would think the Liege group would be your best option.

We offer Lord and Lady until we can be sure the Liege group is appropriate for a number of reasons. 

Meanwhile, please read the Rules, then pick up the Questionnaire.  Come back to this thread to answer it so we can get to know you better! :-)

You can ask any other questions you may have when our Mentors come to greet you and get your approval process underway.

Again, welcome and good luck with your application.

sparkles

I take it there's no way to indicate specifically that this question in the registration form is optional? 

Beguile's Mistress

I don't think we can with the system we currently use.  Our owner is revamping the site and it might be possible to add 'other' to the male and female though the blank is usually a default on most sites to entering nothing.

Oreo

Hi sparkles, I too wanted to welcome you and thank you for your input about the registration page. There is much merit to your concern. Whether you choose to continue the process or not, I am adding the suggestion to the list of "we would like" for the new CMS. That said, I hope you return and continue the approval process, as Elliquiy is very accepting community, made up of all gender identities.

The questionnaire is a way for us to get to know you better, and for you to know us. If you find any of the questions offensive, or too personal, simply say so and leave a N/A. It's not our intention to make you feel uncomfortable. Wishing you the best, and looking forward to the chance to get to know you. ~Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin