News:

Main Menu

Let's talk music!

Started by Beorning, November 29, 2014, 10:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Resurrecting the thread! With this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcOxhH8N3Bo

A sond is... okayish. But what the heck is this video??? Does anyone understand the idea behind it?

Speaking of videos, I'm annoyed by videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEjLoHdbVeE

I hate how they pretend to be having soooooo much fun. I mean, they probably hated each other's guts, as it happens in so many bands...

Nevertheless, I must say that I like Abba... not for their lyrics, but for their music. It's really energetic!

Oniya

Hm.  Gimme Gimme Gimme was released on their 1979 Greatest Hits album, which was still in the period where both couples were still married.  (Although it was a near thing - Björn and Agnetha divorced in July of 1980, and Benny and Anni-Frid divorced in 1981.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oniya

Happened every so often in mixed bands.  You spend that much time together and you're likely to either hook up or fall apart.  (Sometimes both!)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Beorning

Any other examples? I know that Annie Lennox and the guy she formed Eurythmics with were married...

Lilias

Quote from: Beorning on January 08, 2015, 04:29:03 PM
Any other examples? I know that Annie Lennox and the guy she formed Eurythmics with were married...

Nope, they weren't, although everyone seems to believe they were. They've been married to others, though - Stewart twice and Lennox three times. ;)

Fleetwood Mac were a good example of both trends Oniya mentioned. John and Christine McVie were married for a few years in the 70s but continued to work amicably in the band for another 20 years, while the volatile on-again-off-again of Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks has threatened to sink the band more than once.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Beorning

Quote from: Lilias on January 08, 2015, 04:38:10 PM
Nope, they weren't, although everyone seems to believe they were. They've been married to others, though - Stewart twice and Lennox three times. ;)

Really? And here I thought that they had been married to each other - and no-one else...

Fleetwood Mac were a good example of both trends Oniya mentioned. John and Christine McVie were married for a few years in the 70s but continued to work amicably in the band for another 20 years, while the volatile on-again-off-again of Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks has threatened to sink the band more than once.

Interesting...

Oniya

Michelle Phillips and John Phillips from the Mamas and the Papas
Win Butler and Regine Chasagne from Arcade Fire
Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth
Jack and Meg White from The White Stripes
Brian Oblivion and Madeline Follin from Cults
Kori Gardner and Jason Hammel from Mates of State
John Lennon and Yoko Ono (The Plastic Ono Band)

To name a few.

Beorning

I don't think I know half of these bands... More research for me, then.

BTW. I was wondering: do you happen to know any bands were women are (were) playing instruments? Somehow, I can only name female vocalists. I don't know any bands that have female guitarists or drummers... aside from Smashing Pumpkins, who had a female bass guitarist.

Oniya

Lita Ford
Nancy Wilson (of Heart)
Chrissie Hynde (of the Pretenders)
Joan Jett
Joan Baez
Ani DiFranco
Bonnie Raitt...  And those are just the guitarists I can name quickly.

Lilias

Illustrious female bass guitarists include Lena Abé (My Dying Bride), Aimee Mann (Til Tuesday), Kimberley Dahme (Boston), Nicole Fiorentino (Smashing Pumpkins, Veruca Salt), Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads), Johnette Napolitano (Concrete Blonde)...

Drummers are rarer, but there's still Cindy Blackman, Caroline Corr, Bobbye Hall (session musician who has worked with everyone who has ever been anyone in classic rock), Karen Carpenter, Meg White...

And that's without even counting all-girl groups like The Go-Go's, Girlschool, Vixen, L7, and the list goes on.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Inkidu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k-kGSQgSM4

I might be speaking out of turn here because I am not a child of the 80s, but it seems to me that there's a lot of 80s-ish vibes in a lot of modern music. Not that that's bad, and things are often cyclical in some ways. Just something I noticed.

(Also remember that it doesn't have to be an actual real-world instance of abuse or could be a metaphor.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beorning

Wait... is it a song about a man who is violent toward his woman, or am I getting the lyrics wrong?

@Lilias & Oniya: thanks for all those female musicians, I'll look them up.

Inkidu

Quote from: Beorning on January 15, 2015, 03:55:00 PM
Wait... is it a song about a man who is violent toward his woman, or am I getting the lyrics wrong?

I don't follow. ???
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beorning

Well, in the first part he mentions the scar that he gave to his girlfriend...

Inkidu

Quote from: Beorning on January 15, 2015, 03:57:55 PM
Well, in the first part he mentions the scar that he gave to his girlfriend...
Okay, well... what does that have to do with the 80s-ish vibes in the song's melody and whatnot.

Oniya

Also consider that song lyrics, like poetry, can be metaphorical.  The general interpretation of the chorus of Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love a Bad Name' is not that anyone suffered death by firearm.

Beorning

Quote from: Inkidu on January 15, 2015, 04:12:48 PM
Okay, well... what does that have to do with the 80s-ish vibes in the song's melody and whatnot.

Nothing... Sorry, I was just commenting on the lyrics, as they did puzzle me a little.

As to the song's melody - you mean that it's not an 80s song? Because if it isn't, then it does capture the style very well, I agree.

Inkidu

Quote from: Beorning on January 15, 2015, 04:18:00 PM
Nothing... Sorry, I was just commenting on the lyrics, as they did puzzle me a little.

As to the song's melody - you mean that it's not an 80s song? Because if it isn't, then it does capture the style very well, I agree.
Nope it's a 2011 by the band singing it, but I thought for sure it was a cover it had so many 80s cues. So I was just curious, because the people singing it are probably younger than I am.

Lilias

Quote from: Inkidu on January 15, 2015, 11:56:39 AM
I might be speaking out of turn here because I am not a child of the 80s, but it seems to me that there's a lot of 80s-ish vibes in a lot of modern music. Not that that's bad, and things are often cyclical in some ways. Just something I noticed.

There is. The 80s are a decade music fans love to hate, but can't help going back to. Example: this is 2014's biggest hit over here, and it sounds so 1989 it's not even funny. Glynne even looks the part!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-budJmh05gY
~Wendell Berry

Zekromnomnom

Here's a favorite of mine by one of my favorite bands.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HPjbloNJQUE

Caehlim

Quote from: Beorning on December 13, 2014, 08:52:21 AMWhat do you think of Losing My Religion? I used to love this song in the past...

I always think of this version of losing my religion now, it's a cover by Gregorian Masters of Chant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JFGdH5wgCs

Edit: It's always strange when that happens and a cover or remake just replaces a song in your head.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Inkidu

I love the Masters of the Chant! Anything Paul Simon (I wish they'd do The Boxer, but it is a religious groups). In the Air Tonight, and Dreams and anything U2 are good in my book. :3

Anywho: Revival with... The Bahama's I'm a sucker for that kind of New-Agey Souls Music thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPJNt1eTVNY

Beorning

It's a bit slow for me, but it's certainly pleasant.

(BTW. the women in that video have big 1960s hair which I don't like, but the one in the middle has a hair band. Ha! I love them. If I were a woman, I'd wear hair bands all the time  ;D )

On another note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqhOVY58zIo

I'm not a big fan of Cave's but I like this song, both lyrics-wise and music-wise. I like that kind of sound.

And man, Blixa Bargeld looks so suave in that suit... I hate ties, but he makes that look rock. And I like his dancing style...

Although his hair is, well, strange ;)

Beorning

Two awesome bits for you guys...

Firstly, the opening to Penny Dreadful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWhT42t212U

I love both the music in there, as well as the general design of that sequence!

Secondly, Knights Of Cydonia by Muse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Yc3HhSl1Q

Again, the music is just as awesome as the video...