What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 22, 2012, 06:03:05 PM
... Why do I feel like I'm playing Mass Effect 2's twisted cousin...?

Well, at any rate, Dead Space 2 looks really promising.
Wait until you get to the fully flyable Zero-G spots. Terrifying and Superman fun! :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Eh, the Zero G stuff could have used some work. It was great for travel, but it didn't change the combat very much, which isn't a big problem, but it's a missed opportunity. Think of those scorpion things leaping from walls to tackle you and you tumble in a QTE, or certain weapons with more kick sending you tumbling, or shots/thrown items at a tackling enemy making them tumble out of control. Hell, the smallest change they could make was your aiming animations, like having to roll and twist about midair to get your sights on something.

But I can't fault the game, it's production values were already hugely impressive, I can live without Zero G wrestling matches. 

Hemingway

QTEs suck!

I gotta say, one thing this game gets right, that the overwhelming majority don't, is sound in vacuum. I.e. the only sounds you hear are your own footsteps, breathing, and so on. Which, you know, is how it should be. I just think of how much cooler space battles in sci-fi like Mass Effect and Battlestar Galactica would've been if there were no out-of-place sounds.

Sabby

Giving Lost Planet 2 another try...

Okay, take the confusion of Prototype in full swing, the visuals of the Transformers movies, the atrocious controls of Predator: Concrete Jungle, and just throw in a whole heap of lag and motion blur. Finally, give it a camera that will literally crawl up your ass if your in anything more crowded then an empty field. And I mean a level one. Add one mound and the thing will fly down and streak up your leg. Guess what all the levels are? Crowded and mostly indoors, oh joy!

Oh, and make it a co-op game, for lols. You have Lost Planet 2. Fuck I wanna love this game x.x I'm really, really having fun with it, when I can SEE wtf is going on! I swear, most of the time, I'm tilting my head to see the spaceship hidden in the image. Fuck. I have to take a break now, because I'm at risk of throwing my controller. No, really, I'm not venting, I almost threw it. It's that horrendous.

Sabby

Found some options that make things a bit less awkward/coherent. It's still too blurry, and of the dozen control schemes, only one is kind of okay (still has Reload as D-Pad. Seriously, just let me map my own buttons -.-) and it's zoomed out a bit, so now the standard encounters are pretty fun. It's the boss battles you can't fix. Almost every one of them has a few super attacks that are near inescapable. No matter where you are, no matter how you hide or run, you will get hit, it will be confusing, you will not be able to see where you land, and chances are with how fucking slow and exaggerated your every animation is, by the time you get up, you'll be in just the right position to eat another sonic laser or some shit.

Remember how I said it's co-op? Yeah... if you die while playing alone, you respawn. No penalty whatsoever. It's actually making death helpful, as you can just teleport out of the tumble dryer full of shrapnel and smoke with all your health back. There's no reward for your effort at all, your just punch a brick wall until it caves in.

YaoiRolePlay

I'm playing Civ IV currently. Though by currently I mean not at this exact moment. I have SO much other non-video game related things to get into. Battlestar Galactica for one and A Song of Ice and Fire for another.

Veluux

A game of cat and mouse my dear Dr.Watson!

I am watching you [you]...
From the darkest of shadows...

Hemingway

I think DA2 has made me soft. DA:O is tearing me a new one. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 23, 2012, 07:23:08 AM
I think DA2 has made me soft. DA:O is tearing me a new one. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
Wait until you get to the Fade. That's what keeps me away from Origins these days. At least Orzimar had the kind of horror overtones.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 23, 2012, 06:16:28 PM
Wait until you get to the Fade. That's what keeps me away from Origins these days. At least Orzimar had the kind of horror overtones.

I'm almost there now. I can't say I'm looking forward to it. A detour ( the Fade ) within a detour ( the Tower ) within a detour ( curing Arl Eamon ). It's like deja vu all over again.

I should also point out that "a detour within a detour within a detour within a detour, and so on and so forth ad infinitum" is a pretty accurate description of Kingdoms of Amalur.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 23, 2012, 06:52:25 PM
I'm almost there now. I can't say I'm looking forward to it. A detour ( the Fade ) within a detour ( the Tower ) within a detour ( curing Arl Eamon ). It's like deja vu all over again.

I should also point out that "a detour within a detour within a detour within a detour, and so on and so forth ad infinitum" is a pretty accurate description of Kingdoms of Amalur.
It's a detour that's nearly as long as nearly any other area in the game. The funny thing is the developers knew it. It's the only place in the whole game where you can get free stat increases.

"Hey, guys, the Fade isn't testing well, but we can't really cut it because well, the guy who did the Circle part's kind of unstable... so what can we do to make sure the gamer's totally don't find it boring?"

"Random stat increases, yay!"

Veluux

You have become better at talking about video games (232)!

Everquest...

I am watching you [you]...
From the darkest of shadows...

ReanimateMagnus

Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 (Role Playing)
Ticket to Ride (Board Game)
Sims 3: Pets (Console Game)
Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC Game)

Brandon

Played a day of battlefield 3 with some friends. Although Ive come to the realization that as much as I want to like it for being a spiritual successor to Bad company 2 (a game I could hardly put down) the multiplayer isnt very fun.

Ive gone out of my way to learn the ins and outs of each class. I even spent hours upon hours practicing to fly the jets and actually kill things. Im always a team player, willing to sacrifice myself if it means getting an MCOM or taking out a tank that the AT guys cant handle and Im also not afraid to take the boring jobs like flying the Transport helicopter as the gunners mow down people

I think my problem is Ive just reached my limit for recognizing targets and controlling my aim. Right now everyone in the game seems to have sensitivity turned up to max. I literally surprised a guy earlier, starting firing and before my third bullet went off he turned 180 degrees and I was dead. My sensitivity is about 3/4 of the way up and I can barely control it in an extended gunfight. Its a paradox where Im always needing to be faster, but more speed makes it impossible to control

Then there's the head shots which pretty much make you get one shotted. Makes sense I know but it seems like people dont even have to try for head shots. I can burst fire a full clip of my AEK into someone's torso and then Im out of bullets but a head shot is an instant kill. I know the math says 4 bullets equal death when hitting the torso but I dont believe it for a moment. I get hit markers well in excsese of 4 and people still managed to run away, or they just turn around and head shot me. I tend to play stealthily and engage opponents form the side or behind but even surprise seems like it does nothing.

This causes a huge gap between the skilled and unskilled players. I fear that Im falling into the unskilled realm since I cant seem to keep up with other players. Suffice it to say, Im not having fun with the game. Ive gone online and watched some videos, listened to competitive players advice, all just to improve. If only effort made up for what Im missing
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Inkidu

Yeah... that game... I remember that game. :|

Sabby

Replaying Arkham Asylum... damn Batman is stupid x.x Is there any Lawful Good character that isn't an idiot.

The whole opening sequence is Joker practically telling Batman his whole master plan relies on him going to Arkham. But it's Batman... he's Lawful Good. He has to take him. Even though any sane person would just drive him out to a warehouse, chain him to a chair and sit watch all night to ruin whatever plan he had.

Hemingway

DA2's expansion got cancelled. That sucks. I liked DA2.

Well, at least there's hope for DA3. It's at least far more difficult to screw that up than Mass Effect.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on March 25, 2012, 04:12:47 PM
Replaying Arkham Asylum... damn Batman is stupid x.x Is there any Lawful Good character that isn't an idiot.

The whole opening sequence is Joker practically telling Batman his whole master plan relies on him going to Arkham. But it's Batman... he's Lawful Good. He has to take him. Even though any sane person would just drive him out to a warehouse, chain him to a chair and sit watch all night to ruin whatever plan he had.

And yet, that's what makes Joker so good.

Because he KNOWS Batman has to take him.

The two know each other so well that it has to be that way, for there is no other conclusion.

Sabby

For me, it just shows what a bland and boring character Batman really is. I know some people get a deeper connection between Joker and Batman, but all I see is... hmmm... what's a good metaphor...

I see a Chatbot Moderator and a Troll :/

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on March 25, 2012, 05:05:27 PM
For me, it just shows what a bland and boring character Batman really is. I know some people get a deeper connection between Joker and Batman, but all I see is... hmmm... what's a good metaphor...

:/

You just don't understand, Sabby....*sighs and shakes rump at Sabby*

Anyway...Played through the Tera Beta...gooooooood lord is that game fun...makes me think about quitting SwToR to play it instead.

It's combat system reminds me so much of Monster Hunter.

Hemingway

Ahh, Morrigan. Talking to her is like navigating a minefield. I've started to like her, though. Unfortunately, I seem to have reached the end of the romance, and I've only finished the Tower. I want to finish the game and get Witch Hunt, but ... knowing how long that'll take, whew. It's daunting.

Sabby

...Am I the only one who wanted Morrigan to Flemeth in the same tent? Dx

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on March 25, 2012, 05:05:27 PM

Batman isn't lawful good, he's natural good. Also, you notice that he had a feeling about the whole thing, but they wouldn't let him follow. So it's really Quincy Sharp's fault. Also, I'd consider the Joker chaotic stupid. At some point he knows it's not going to work, but he keep on a-trying. :|

Sabby

....Nope, Lawful Good. Lawful Good is when you have you're little code of conduct and will absolutely follow it to the letter no matter what the circumstances are. He knew something was up well before the Warden restricted him access. But He's Batman. Batman takes Joker to Arkham. That's how the order of things is, and a Lawful Good follows the order of things. Every time.

Now, I know what your thinking... It's Batman. It's a comic book super hero. Surely you can't apply this kind of thinking to a setting where the bad guys go to jail and break out in an unending cycle. It's just campy, old style silliness, right? Well, you'd be right, if it was still like that, then you can't really call it out. But Batman wants to have his 40 cakes and eat them to. The games pretty much directly tackle this issue, especially in Arkham City. They've voided all right to go "We're just a comic book!"

But that's just one of the weird things about modern day comics in general... they really wanna be edgy and realistic, but at the same time they stay rooted in their campy Silver Age origins. It makes it difficult to discuss any of the plots without a million tangents popping up and the readers having to decide what's acceptable stupidity and what actually warrants recognition.

And with Arkham Asylum, I see Batman recognizing his way of doing things does not help, and then proceeding to do things his way regardless. It's kind of a perfect metaphor for super heroes at the moment xD