News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Inkidu, January 11, 2011, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Eden on November 27, 2011, 09:28:34 PM
I'm annoyed I can't become a spy, and join both sides of the fight. How do the Imperials know I've joined the Stormcloaks when even neighbouring holds don't share info about wanted criminals?
Er because the Civil War quest line involves taking territory from the other. You can't win it by doing both.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Cold Heritage

They could've made the lock-in threshold for Imperials or Stormcloaks a little higher than one mission each before you are being made to swear loyalty oaths to the head of a faction.

It might've been nice too if you could have a bigger hand in the Jarls of each hold. I mean, if I'm bffs with the Jarl of Whiterun, maybe I could, I dunno, tell him that it'd be a good idea to back Ulfric, since my big bad dragon-slaying ass decided to back the Stormcloak. Or if I could oust that dumbass in Dawnstar, just because his voice annoys me and makes me want to wreck his day. Or if I could side with the Imperials but keep the Black-Briars' corruption from taking over Riften.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Shjade

Quote from: Cold Heritage on November 28, 2011, 12:31:21 AM
Or if I could side with the Imperials but keep the Black-Briars' corruption from taking over Riften.

Wouldn't siding with the Imperials and murdering the Black-Briars accomplish that? I don't think they're set non-essential...though I haven't checked.

Related: siding with the Imperials causes the Black-Briars to take over Riften? The hell? O.o
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Cold Heritage

The matron of the Black-Briars is essential, iirc - she's big in the Thieves' Guild questline. And I forget who mentions it, but it comes up that she's got financial ties and friendships with people in the Empire. She plays the game, politicking like a boss.

I think it's also bull that the camps have named essential NPCs in them even post-Civil War. I went to an Imperial camp, thinking I would mop up some legionnaires, and I did, until Legate Plot Armour comes running and wailing on me. I got him to take a knee but he kept getting up. I had to unrelenting force him in one direction and haul ass in the other.

Shjade

Yeah, unkillable NPCs in the context of a war is dumb. :|
◕/◕'s

Slywyn

I thought I'd share some interesting observations and a link.

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/skyrim-concises-account-great-war-between-empire-and-aldmeri-dominion

Tamriel is screwed. The Thalmor take the long view on things, and if you side with the Stormcloaks in Skyrim you're playing right into their hands for a further weakened Empire. They won't stop until they've proven the domination of Mer over Man, and stopping the worship of Talos is just one step. Taking Skyrim and the Nords from the Empire, is another. If you read the above account, it's pretty obvious that without the Nords, the Empire would have lost the Great War. They held when noone else could.

And if you finish the final Dark Brotherhood questline(I won't spoil what it is, but if you've done it you know), then there may not even BE an Empire left for them to conquer.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Nadir

Ha! That's quite awesome. Also, I play a wood elf who has sided with the Stormcloaks. That I'm helping unravel the empire makes my need for espionage purr (though I really hate the ethnic cleansing the elves are exacting on Skyrim. :( )

Slywyn

Quote from: Eden on November 28, 2011, 08:39:16 AM
Ha! That's quite awesome. Also, I play a wood elf who has sided with the Stormcloaks. That I'm helping unravel the empire makes my need for espionage purr (though I really hate the ethnic cleansing the elves are exacting on Skyrim. :( )

There's really no good sides to this fight. Either you're helping the Thalmor, or you're suppressing a rebellion for freedom.

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Nadir

Fights between good and evil are not interesting to me *shrugs*

Slywyn

Quote from: Eden on November 28, 2011, 11:26:37 AM
Fights between good and evil are not interesting to me *shrugs*

That's what I meant. There are no good sides. Everything's different shades of grey. Honestly the only "good vs evil" I've found so far was actually during the Thieves Guild questing. And that depends heavily on what you consider good and evil.

Even the Main Quest is all Grey(lolpuns). Spoilers:

If you side with the Blades, you kill the only 'good' dragon around. Because 'all dragons are evil'. And if you don't Parthanaax tells you that 'all dragons are tyrranical and cruel, it is in our nature' before flying away to rule the dragons and probably invade Tamriel at some point in the future.

Nadir

consortium11

Quote from: Spectfade on November 28, 2011, 11:58:34 AM
That's what I meant. There are no good sides. Everything's different shades of grey. Honestly the only "good vs evil" I've found so far was actually during the Thieves Guild questing. And that depends heavily on what you consider good and evil.

Even the Main Quest is all Grey(lolpuns). Spoilers:

My problem with Beth's "shades of grey"... and it's a trend across the entire RPG spectrum right now... is that these days they create shades of grey by making everyone incredibly unlikeable rather than by giving both sides of any conflict logical strong arguments which make you feel sympathy.

Slywyn

Quote from: Eden on November 28, 2011, 12:12:05 PM
The spoiler tag, please

If I could figure out how to spoiler tag from work, I would. ><

Phone isn't very forum friendly.

Shjade

Quote from: consortium11 on November 28, 2011, 03:26:10 PM
My problem with Beth's "shades of grey"... and it's a trend across the entire RPG spectrum right now... is that these days they create shades of grey by making everyone incredibly unlikeable rather than by giving both sides of any conflict logical strong arguments which make you feel sympathy.

They also love to have organization leaders turn out to be the bad guy/double-cross you somewhere along the way.
◕/◕'s

Braioch

;D

Got into a fight with a saber cat as my heavy armored, two handed Imperial, and was doing well until the bear, the bloody bear showed up. He managed to bullrush me and smack me a couple of times and then fell into the strong current river that was below the ledge. So you know I escaped the fight that would have killed me, except you know, the required going over a bloody waterfall.

I survived.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Nadir

Ha, awesome!

I just watched two ice trolls and a saber cat take on a blood dragon and win

Shjade

Frost trolls are practically unkillable to dragons that have frost breath. They just regen all day.
◕/◕'s

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Shjade on November 28, 2011, 05:37:36 PM
They also love to have organization leaders turn out to be the bad guy/double-cross you somewhere along the way.

I think they restrained themselves this time. Though I haven't joined every faction yet, I only ran into one where that turned out to be the way.

Inkidu

Quote from: Braioch on November 28, 2011, 05:41:59 PM
;D

Got into a fight with a saber cat as my heavy armored, two handed Imperial, and was doing well until the bear, the bloody bear showed up. He managed to bullrush me and smack me a couple of times and then fell into the strong current river that was below the ledge. So you know I escaped the fight that would have killed me, except you know, the required going over a bloody waterfall.

I survived.
You have officially been initiated into Skyrim, congratulations. The same thing happened to me sans one saber-cat. In fact, once you figure out how to survive the tiers of waterfalls it becomes an incredibly fast form of transportation. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Quote from: Cold Heritage on November 28, 2011, 09:42:44 PM
I think they restrained themselves this time. Though I haven't joined every faction yet, I only ran into one where that turned out to be the way.

It's been 2.5 for me so far, and multiple smaller quests that are betrayals (usually obvious ones) right away, too. Including one impromptu bandits-on-the-side-of-the-road ambush that is just begging for NC RP. >.> *snickers*
◕/◕'s

Samael

Quote from: Braioch on November 28, 2011, 05:41:59 PM
;D

I survived.

Forget Dragons.
It's really Bears who are the danger in this game!
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Slywyn

Running through the woods, come across a Troll. Okay, whatev's, start charging up my bow to shoot it.

Let the arrow go, hear a roar. "Oh, cool a dragon."

Turn around, get a face full of saber cat, and a couple wolves. They're fighting each other, but w/e. Start taking them out.

Ancient Dragon lands in front of me.

"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"

Laughing Hyena

Thats nothing... Picture this moment.

A dragon roars out overhead as your follower readies her arrows ready to take down the dragon. The Attack takes place in the middle of the marches as soldiers guarding the mines you have gone to look into ready their weapons. Taking careful aim you attack as the dragon breathes jets of frost down upon the soldiers. One of the soldiers is frozen alive in an instant and as the dragon comes down to fight you hear yet another roar overhead... Another dragon, a blood dragon has shown up and is joining the fray. Whilst the Frost Dragon attacks the soldiers, the blood dragon goes right for you.

Yeah. Try and top that. Two dragons at ONCE!

Wajin

I just saw a blood dragon get killed by craps and walruses... that doesn't happen everyday
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Braioch

Damn Horkers, I didn't know those damn things were even in the game.

I thought it was a rock, until it bit me....-.-
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]