The World of Banded Night

Started by Apple of Eris, January 09, 2011, 01:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple of Eris

During the day, you might delude yourself into thinking you’re on Earth. True, the plants are odd – there are no flowers, and most of  the “trees” are giant ferns. There are dragonflies the size of your arm, and roaches the size of your head. The animals should have died out tens of millions of years past. But, even so, you can imagine it’s your world. During the day.

At night . . . you look up, and you see stars that are all wrong, and, cutting across the sky, the light reflected from the planet’s rings, forming bands between the stars…

On Earth, known these days as Homeline, things had been falling apart. Nation warred for the dwindling resources of the planet and the major industrial nations creaked under increasing debt and strain to their financial systems desperately trying to maintain order. Then, in 2012 it all changed.

Physicist Paul Van Zandt created a device that could break down the walls between various parallel worlds. After calls for and threats to nationalize this technology, Van Zandt met with a closed session of the United Nations. Nobody knows exactly what was said, but it was the birthplace of Infinity Unlimited, a corporation run under the governance of the United Nations Interworld Council.

Within a decade Homeline was prosperous and peaceful. Homeliners had begun settling depopulated Earths across the Multiverse, polluting industries were moved off world, dead Earths were used for waste dumps, and the future of mankind never looked brighter.

Recently, Homeline discovered this alternate, dubbed ‘The World of Banded Night’, officially Burroughs-6. So far what is know is puzzling to Homeline. The stars match nothing that computer modeling can recreate even accounting for stellar drift so dating the world is impossible. This ‘Earth’ has a nearly identical gravity, though the air pressure is slightly greater, enough to make a new visitor uncomfortable at first, but not incapacitating. There seem to be few high mountain ranges, ocean deeps, or deserts. Most of the single super continent scientists have labeled ‘Dinogea’ appears to lowlands, swampy marshes, and shallow lakes.

Yet the ecology is what is truly puzzling… According to all the scientific data collected so far there are several hominid species. One of which is identical to modern humans, but there appear to be no other mammalian life forms, not even other primates! There are birds, but very primitive, and plant evolution seems to have slowed to a crawl in the Cretaceous. There are several types of giant insects that never existed on Homeline, monstrous ‘fish’ that dominate the oceans, and the lack of a moon mean there are no lunar tides or easy means for time keeping among the primitives!

This is a world that according to everything in Infinity’s knowledge base should not exist, yet it does. Infinity wants to know why and how it can exist, and has begun sponsoring science expeditions to the world. Burroughs-6 is dangerous, filled with dinosaurs, warring early Cro-Magnon tribes, primitive Neanderthals, and one civilization bent on conquest with their new bronze weaponry.

Essentially, this is a ‘Timelost’ game. A group of researchers and technicians, along with a couple of Infinity Security types end up stuck here on the World of Banded Night for a time, fight for survival in a hostile environment, and uncover the mysteries of this strange world.

This is more of a traditional roleplay game (using elements of the GURPS Land Out of Time and Infinite Worlds books), but knowledge of any system is unnecessary. I’ll handle all the conflict resolution in the background, and I’m keeping character skill sets cinematic (for example the scientist seems to know a little about everything hard science, the technician can somehow make a cannon from some tar, a few twigs, and a rubber band ala MacGyver – well not that easily, but you get the idea).

I haven’t given away all the secrets of the world in the intro, there's some surprises in store for the characters. Also the game will be put in the EX category. Though there may be some sexual elements and even scenes, including potential for NC or graphic death (depending on how foolishly characters are played), I do not expect or wish either to be a major element of the game – it’s not a jump into the past and get it on with everything that walks or crawls type of game!

To keep things simple for character creation I’m including Eight basic character concepts below. I’ll keep it simple, first come, first served, no duplicates.

Scientist/Historian – A font of knowledge about the Prehistoric Era, especially its Biology, Geology, and Paleontology.

Anthropologist/Archaeologist/Linguist Eeyore– Excessively knowledgeable about prehistoric cultures, also extremely good with language's suggested skills: revolver, whip, and affinity for hats (kidding on these last three!)

Technician/Engineer – Merdoroli More than competent with high tech gear, including keeping weapons working. A strong knowledge of various engineering concepts as well.

Scientist/Parachronic NPC – Completely out of place on Burroughs-6. You know every detail of Infinity's latest research into Parachronic Travel. You are along to look into some strange sensor anomalies detected by the advance teams. You know your way around a wrench too, but you’re research, not applied science! Also, a pretty mean cook.

Infinity Combat Operative One: Drake Highly skilled in unarmed combat and pistols. Knowledge of rifles, stealth, and melee weapons as well.

Infinity Combat Operative Two: Xillen Gunner type, competent with every projectile weapon available; expert with heavy weapons and explosives (and how to make simple explosives), less of a finesse fighter in close combat and more of a brawler.

Explorer/Hunter: Soturo Stealth, tracking, guns, bows, trapping. Think big game hunter meets interworld ranger scout type.

Doctor: Xantham Skilled in basic medicine, surgery, and even some veterinarian skills as well, you keep everyone alive. You're more comfortable in a high tech setting, but you know how to improvise.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Xillen

Color me interested!

So many roles appealing. The Technicians and Combat Operatives are most appealing. Since I got to pick one, I'll go with the 2nd Combat Operative, but could switch to the Technician or 1st Combat Operative if someone would love to play that role.

Drake Valentine

I also find this appealing.

I wouldn't mind the First Combat Operative role myself, since a good portion of characters I play tend to lean towards unarmed combat tendencies.

Buuut....

Can I be evil?

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Apple of Eris

Depends on what you mean by evil. Self-centered and what not, totally fine. Psychotic sadistic nutter, not gonna work. Infinity chooses the best of the best (I mean who wouldn't want to work for them?) so only the most competent, and sane would make it. Plus out and out evil is gonna give you a short life span. Remember Nedry in Jurassic Park..?

If a couple more people express interest I'll pop up a character sheet format so you can write up bios and so forth.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Soturo

How fun.
I like the explorer/hunter.
This sounds like it could get interesting. 

Xantham

I would like to jump on the alternateuniversetimelinebandwagon.  mmm, so fun to say.

I would be interested in the Doctor, second choice Scientist/Historian.

I'd like to be evil, too.  But just my name...James Cameron Evil, Jr.

Drake Valentine

Hmm.. But there are different levels of evil and characters with some twist of sadism to them are always entertaining, even if it is minor things such as torturing or blowing up poor dinosaurs, using the locals for bait, and/or tricking the poor savages by other means.

I wasn't thinking evil in a means that would betray the entire group. I was just thinking of it more as doing things that would abuse the poor NPCs. ;3

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Apple of Eris

I could live with that, just remember, you'll be needing some help from some of those NPCs to survive though. :)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Drake Valentine

Of course, of course, I'll take good care of those NPCs... Fufufu. :3

Soturo

Xillen

Hehe.

My character might be morally gray as well, but he'll surely keep his eyes open, trying not to piss off the wrong person ;) He's not stupid.

Apple of Eris

And a character sheet. You all can just post them here. Ideally I'd like another person or two, but I wasn't planning on getting things running till the end of the week anyways, so there's still time, and openings!

Player: Your screen name.
Name: Your character's name.
Appearance: A brief text description. Find your picture first!
Disadvantages: EVERY character is to have at least two (e.g. Wears Glasses, Light sleeper, Impulsive, Bad Temper, etc) You can always get ideas from the gurps lite pdf if you need them (it's free)!
Personality: A short paragraph to describe what makes her or him tick.
Bio: A brief history of your character.
Picture(s): if using one

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Xantham

Player: Xantham
Name: James Cameron Evil, Jr. - TEAM Doctor
Appearance: Athletic, but otherwise Average
Disadvantages: Hard of Hearing; Combat Paralysis; Infamous
Personality: A genuinely nice guy.  Probably comes from being called Dr. Evil all the time.  Jim has a good bedside manner and prior to joining up with Infinity he actually made house calls.  Can sometimes be overprotective, sometimes called mother behind his back, as in <sigh> "Yes, mother"
Bio: After graduating from medical school in 2002, Dr. James Evil, facing a world with ever increasing medical needs, began his practice in a smaller town in the heart of the USA.  Called on to provide medical help to a great variety of problems with an office limited in scope and cutting edge technology, Jim was soon known for his off-beat solutions to common problems.  For ten years, Jim served that community, gaining local and even some national prestige for some of his creative solutions.  He was also known, though not officially blamed, for his one infamous failure.
In 2011, he began treating Suzanne Heidel, a media personality, for mid-stage cancer.  When she began publicizing her treatments and creating an internet sensation with blogs of her daily life, Dr. Evil became an overnight American sensation.  Not that he wanted it.  Jim asked her repeatedly to play down the experience, but the best he could do was to keep her from publishing their conversations.  He almost dropped her as a patient several times, but he just couldn't abandon anyone, even her.  When she died suddenly in early 2012, the hammer dropped.  Subsequent autopsies and examinations by top doctors around the world concluded that nothing Jim had done could have saved her, the cancer had just become too invasive.  But it took about 10 minutes for the internet to explode with amateur theories and doctors looking for their 15 minutes of fame to blame every aspect of what Jim had done.  His revolutionary solutions were now dubbed "death makers" and despite full clearance from every reputable medical source, that hardly mattered in the age of popularity contests that the internet had made the world. 
With the creation of Infinity Unlimited, Jim found a chance for a restart.  He could get off of this Earth and perhaps go back to what he was best at, saving lives, somewhere else.  Soon accepted into the company, he once again began to be known for his creative solutions, and they were needed now more than ever, since parallel worlds often, as with all life forms, evolved viruses and bacteria in new, strange and often deadly ways.

Soturo

Player: Soturo Ayami
Name: Shaza Tu -Explorer/hunter
Appearance:  A robust woman about five-four. A bit wide in the hip and bust. Deeply tanned skin, curly brown hair with narrowed brown eyes.

Disadvantages: She is a bit a martyr and tends to put other before herself, doesn't like to be alone long, berserker

Personality: A very mothering personality. Always wanting to take care of people and rather friendly. If you become friends with her she'll take care of you and treat you much like she does her own children. When hunting, however, she is a very fierce competitor. You wouldn't know to look at her normally though. She is very boisterous as well, always with something to say. She isn't one to abandon someone if she thinks they can be saved and is very patient with others. Shaza surrounds herself with people, and is constantly in contact with someone. She'll reach out and touch an arm, give someone a hug, lean on them for support, some would say she invades their personal space, but if told not to she'll keep her hands to herself.

Bio: The widowed mother of two boys she has spent most of her life working to keep them happy. Her husband Berkos was killed in a car accident sometime after their second son was born. They were married at a young age, which was the custom of their families. They grew up together. played together, learned the world together and at their 13 year mark were taken back to their home land to learn to hunt and survive. Even separated from one another they found their ways together.

And in the year they were left to find their way they returned together carrying the furs of their first kills. It was an odd transition back an forth for them since they were born and raised in New York. But the jungles of Africa proved just as much a challenge as the urban jungle with its many people which to them seemed so similar.

They were married right out of high school and went right into having their first child Kwabena and then a year later Refilwe. The happy couple did not have long to celebrate their second child as Berkos was killed coming home from work one night. As devastating as it was she had to move forward with her life. She left herself little time to grieve

Now, 20 years later with both her sons grown, she has had to find something to do. Sometime ago she started looking for a husband but decided she could put that on hold considering she couldn't find any one 'strong' enough to handle her. Working just to keep food on the table would not cut it anymore especially since they can fend for themselves. Since hunting was her life to begin with this new opportunity, presented by Infinity, to be able to work with different animals, excited her. As a highly skilled hunter she found that the actual challenge would be fun. Leaving her two boys however was not easy. Refilwe still living at home and Kwabena visiting frequently worries her. She wonders most days how they're doing.

Picture(s): Shaza Tu

Drake Valentine

Player:
Drake Valentine
Name:
Yuu Vladimirovich
Appearance:
Slender, lithe, though he does possess a good portion of muscle mass despite what scrawny image he may otherwise give off. He is more than capable of defending himself and knows how to throw his entire body around like a weapon, along with the limberness that accommodates it.  He stands at an average height of five feet and seven inches. His crimson hair color is most likely a byproduct of him dying it, and the same could be said for his eyes as he uses various different contacts to give them coloring. Yuu does have a fascination towards his own self image, but only towards slightly modifications he may give it(hence the dyes and artificial lens.)
Disadvantages:
Lecherous, Overconfident, Compulsive, Tends to Sleep a lot(but also light sleeper,)  Partial on the Sadist side(I do say so myself. ;3)
Personality:
Distant, quietly spoken, often found taking a nap somewhere whenever given the chance. He isn't much one may expect on first impressions for a combat operative, but neither would be the knife in their back if they mistake him for anything less. It is hard to center Yuu's own motives, as he rarely speaks his mind around those around him. This is due to him often accessing situations and judging on the best solution of handling it, whether it requires a subtle approach, guns blazing, or witty banter(still his people skills aren't always up to par. Not everyone takes kindly to smartasses. ) Yuu doesn't involve himself in ties with anyone, to him missions are always the utmost importance, people are replaceable(including even him) and he isn't afraid of making sacrifices where they are essential for greater gain. 
Bio:
Misfortune loves company, Yuu’s life hasn’t been much of an exception for this old saying. As the mixture of name implies, he is the result from an interracial marriage; though he never had enough time to get accustomed to his own family. When out touring in Japan, his Russian father was murdered. His mother was devastated by the event and inevitably fell ill from the trauma. Still, Yuu was nothing more than a toddler when these episodes occurred and perhaps he may have been better off if he was sent to an orphanage than ending up in the care of his eldest, Japanese, uncle.

As Yuu grew in age, so did he in knowledge in various aspects of life. He was home schooled, tutored in the foreign language of English, though his studies were stressing enough from the other teachings he was receiving. To avoid becoming spoilt, his uncle trained(or rather forced taught) Yuu in martial arts in several various meelee weapon usage through out the years. Sure, this may sound awfully nice of Yuu’s caretaker, save for the fact throughout all those years, Yuu hasn’t had much sleep from his intensive training.(A fact why he chooses to sleep a lot today) Yuu has even entered several tournaments as well, though more often than not he intentionally failed them; the response from his Uncle wasn’t that pleasant as a result. One could only expect that training regiments increased for the poor child.

This was a nightmare he endured for a good seventeen years, till he finally joined the Japanese military to escape his crazy uncle. Events didn’t fair well afterwards, basic training was a new torture. He often got bitched out by his superiors by his lazy attitude, though he still excel in physical activities presented. Fortunately he got  a little more breathing room for sleep as well, but it still wasn’t enough, not when some of his drill sergeants were repeatedly sending him through the firing course for additional training. Completion of boot camp left him assuming he was clear for the waters, a shame that didn’t become true.

The regiment Yuu entered prioritize combat training and at this point Yuu was starting to believe his life was cursed. In a short span of two years that followed his high grades eventually caught the attention of Infinity Unlimited.  He didn’t seek them out, they sought him out.

Time change and people change, Yuu could finally catch up on a fraction of his lost sleep and was allowed more leisure of his own self image, which he later grew to pride himself in. When granted the question if he was more free to rest, Infinity replied ‘you can if you pass basic training,’ and that was that. Yuu didn’t want to go back to his own military program and thus he excelled with ease with their training, followed along with a lengthy nap afterwards.

Yuu has been on various missions afterwards to new worlds, though he isn’t one keen on remembering faces and he doubt most would remember him, considering how much he alters his own image and probably none would even recall him today if they were with him in basic, when he hardly had any hair on his head and when it wasn’t so red.

Picture(s):
One
Two

Will edit in bio soon, got to get ready for works.

Apple of Eris

Characters are lookin good so far. If we can get another one or two recurits for some of the egg head positions we'll be perfect.

Come on you lurkers, even the brainiacs have some weapons skills, you won't just be dino-bait!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Soturo

Haha, Shaza is amused by Yuu.
She keeps saying. No one is replaceable and you'll be sticking with me.
Hope he doesn't mind a nickname cause he has one already. >.>

Merdoroli

I'm interested in the engineers spot but I'd like to know more about the level of tech we're dealing with before I make a character sheet. I mean obviously it's a futuristic level of technology but how far in the future? Are we all shooting railguns? Lasers even? How about bionics? Or is this fairly close to modern technology? With the diminsional jumping being the only big difference?

I ask only because the technician would be required to use the highest level technology on a daily basis and I wanted to know what exactly that entails before I sign up for the position.

Drake Valentine

Oh, also a question if I may. I don't think I saw it in the summary, unless I overlooked it. Though do characters already have prior knowledge of one another or they are all just randomly picked out/introduced into this group expedition?

jobe352

Hm, hm, hm. This lurker may be tempted to join...We shall see. :P

Actually, I still am deciding on a profession. Was there a reason you made it nearly impossible to choose?

Like Merdoroli said, how educated should I be in my field if I pick...oh, say the scientist/parachronic?

I shall haunt this topic until someone answers me! Mwahaha.  >:)

Apple of Eris

Quote from: Merdoroli on January 11, 2011, 10:44:48 PM
I'm interested in the engineers spot but I'd like to know more about the level of tech we're dealing with before I make a character sheet. I mean obviously it's a futuristic level of technology but how far in the future? Are we all shooting railguns? Lasers even? How about bionics? Or is this fairly close to modern technology? With the diminsional jumping being the only big difference?

I ask only because the technician would be required to use the highest level technology on a daily basis and I wanted to know what exactly that entails before I sign up for the position.

For the most part, it's modern tech, just slightly better. Batteries are more advanced, computers are more slender and faster (think those thinkpad type things are very comonplace and a couple generations from where they are now), Medically, gene-therapy is becoming common, and as far as weapons, the new advance for personal weaponry is caseless ammo.

Please bear in mind, that you wil in the course of this adventure become 'Timelost' so to speak, cut off from most of your higher tech. The Techhies biggest challenges will be to maintain their equipment and possibly work with extremely low tech natives to come up with some creative solutions to problems (think of how big an advance inclined planes or a simple pulley would be).

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Apple of Eris

Quote from: Drake Valentine on January 12, 2011, 09:45:27 AM
Oh, also a question if I may. I don't think I saw it in the summary, unless I overlooked it. Though do characters already have prior knowledge of one another or they are all just randomly picked out/introduced into this group expedition?

Characters can know one another, I'll leave that up to you all. All characters would have had to undergo Infinity's basic training program so it is possible some of you met there. Also all characters will start with training in the two known native languages of the world, so there is another chance for meeting, and at leas having seen one another if not interacted much.

Actually, I still am deciding on a profession. Was there a reason you made it nearly impossible to choose?

Like Merdoroli said, how educated should I be in my field if I pick...oh, say the scientist/parachronic?

I shall haunt this topic until someone answers me! Mwahaha.

1. I'm evil like that
2. -You- don't need to know a thing, your characer however will know a lot. After all, I don't know many who know anything about parachronic physics, since it's a made up science ;-)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Drake Valentine

Edited in bio, now I must prep for work.

Merdoroli

Player: Merdoroli
Name: Hector Orid
Appearance: Dark blond hair, bright blue eyes, very nordic/viking looking. Big and broad shouldered. A natural athlete if he would have ever cared to try at sports.

Disadvantages: Highly anti social, hates actively working with a team and prefers to be left alone, mildly hypoglycemic (never passed out but can shake or get moody if he misses a meal), perfectionistic

Personality: Hector loves computers. Electronics of all sorts come naturally to him but computers in particular are his favorite. He has ever since he was little. Back then he was isolated, his lack of friends early in his life led to a lack of social skills and a lack of friends forever. But he doesn't mind. He likes being alone. Things are easier when he doesn't have to explain them to others or worry what they'll think. He doesn't have to fix other peoples mistakes that way either. Something he can't help but do any time he is forced into a group project.

Bio:Hector couldn't afford a good school or college early on but he got a degree in computer engineering from the local college with military aid money at the age of 22. He was required to spend time in the army afterwards but that was fine by him. He didn't care what his job was so long as he was able to do the work he enjoyed. The military quickly recognized his talent with computers but he quit the army when his contract was up and went back to school. This time he got two more degrees, in Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering. He looked and looked for a company that would put his talent to use without the troublesome habit the military had of putting him on teams and he eventually found Infinity. They recognized his potential and allowed him to work alone so long as he continued to build working prototypes and agreed to log his progress on his projects. Hector created a new holographic headset that was capable of projecting information in front of the wearers eyes and since then has been trying to interface the technology with a weapon so that the user could easily see where the connected gun was aiming at all times but he ran into continual problems and Hector ran out of favor with Infinity when he failed to meet his deadline twice. As such he was the first on the list to be sent to the World of Banded Night. Infinity wouldn't be at too big a loss if Hector didn't come back and Hector was more than qualified to maintain the base camp on the planet.

Picture(s):

Apple of Eris

Merdoroli: Looks good.

This is more a general note too, jst because Infinity is powerful doesn't mean they're an uncaring organization. Generally, they do care about their employees and operatives, as they are essentially, the "good guys". Also, Infinity is only about 60K people strong and tries to patrol an entire earth that uses licensed parachronic devices, not an easy job if you don't manage resources well!

Anyway, the ins and outs of Infinity won't be very important oce we are up and running.

I'll start an OOC thread shortly, and hopefully we can begin Monday or Tuesday. 
Here's the OOC https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=94930.0

Dear lurkers, we still have a couple juicy openings! Hurry up before it's too late!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking