Checkmate [Recruitment Thread - Come hither Creative Mind!]

Started by TheBlackThrone, February 03, 2018, 08:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackThrone

Genre: Fairy Tale, Modern Fantasy, Crime, and Noir.

Inspirations: A Wolf Among Us, Hotline Miami, Pay Day Franchise, Kekkai Sensen, John Wick (1 & 2) etc.

Welcome to the world of Tale, a world of fantastical creatures from talking bunny rabbits to colossal giants. Everyone in this world lives a day-to-day life performing—you know—normal people jobs? Whether you’re a bagger at a grocery store or a secret agent for some sort of organization, you have a purpose. Our setting takes place in a dark, Gotham-like city called New Fantasia. New Fantasia is gorgeous during the day. The grass is green; the sky is blue; and the sun just hits the city in the right spot. During the winter, the snow is like diamond dust and during the fall, the autumn leaves are a beautiful monochromatic collage of orange, red, yellows, and brown. However, no matter the season, at night, the city is always the same. All of the creepy-crawlies, the boogiemen, and the riff-raff come out to cause mischief and that’s just putting it lightly.

The Mayor of New Fantasia (open playable role) has been trying to decrease the amount of crime in the city, but it will take more than cops. Among the prevalent crime in the city, exists a gray organization—gray because the organization is neither entirely good nor entirely bad. The organization functions like a mafia. There’s a boss and then there are specialized subordinates who secretly exist beneath him or her (The Boss is also a playable role).

They call themselves Checkmate. Checkmate will at times work with other criminal organizations that they are allied with for financial or rivaling reasons. They will also at times aid the police and other secret organizations in disposing of other criminal organizations. Often due to having a mutual enemy. While the police do maintain somewhat of a trust and agreement with Checkmate, they aren’t against arresting members every now and then.

This game will mostly be sandbox and as the GM, I will throw some plots in there every now and then. You will know the characters I may NPC for story reasons, but I encourage everyone to use their imagination and bring some interesting characters as well as stories to this game. Whatever you create, whether it be a popular bar, club, shop, or a commonly seen NPC will be added to the game. The players and the GM will create this world together.

Checkmate
Note: Your character does not have to be a member of Checkmate. They can be completely uninvolved. For those who do want to play a member of Checkmate, the possible job roles in the organization are listed below:
Need Breacher, Doc, Techie, and Cleaner.
  • Boss – This can be a male or female, but there will only be one. They run the organization. They are responsible for every member of Checkmate and maintaining strategic relations with certain organizations lawful and criminal. They must be intelligent and not a pushover.
  • Right Hand – The Right Hand functions as the Boss when the Boss is absent. If for whatever reason the Boss is murdered, betrays the organization, or whatever, the Right Hand will take over and become the next boss. There will only be one right hand.
  • Collector – Collectors specialize in exactly that, collecting. More like collecting information and owed money. They are not to be confused with the Muscle. Collectors specialize in persuasion and gathering information about anything beneficial to the organization. They have their methods for gaining information, and it could include bringing a Muscle along.
  • Muscle – The Muscle specializes in taking out the trash—figure of speech. They go in to clean out a place, dust some goons, protect whoever they are required to protect, and just literally handle the dirty jobs. What they lack in brains, they make up with brawn.
  • Cleaner – The Cleaners are the ones who usually follow behind the organization’s activities and clean it all up. They know how to dispose of bodies and evidence. Thus, they often go along on executions. Somebody has to clean it up!
  • Breacher – Breachers specialize in an assortment of skills. They are often hackers, escape artists, and literal breachers, being able to break into high security areas and escape without leaving behind a trace. They aren’t always perfect, thus they usually have a Cleaner around just in case.
  • Doc – A Checkmate member can’t always risk going to a hospital. The Docs are there to patch up any Checkmate members who get too roughed up.
  • Techie – The Techies specialize in weapons development, glamor creation, and device invention. They are the ones who are gifted with creating whatever the organization needs. Each techie specializes in one specific area as some were previously mentioned: guns, magical items, electronic devices, and other weapons such as blades or ammunition. They are very important and often competitively sought after by rivaling organizations.

Important Non-Checkmate Roles: Mayor and Chief of Police

Character Sheet

1. If you want to play a character that was an animal or beast, then get creative. They can still be truly an animal or beast and use disguising magic called a glamor or they could be a were-type or shapeshifter.
2. No character assassination. A character assassination is when you write in your character’s history that “this character is dead, this character is dead, this character is dead…” if any of those characters could be playable, then you can’t kill them off and better think of a different back story.
3. If you choose to use a model or celebrity as your face claim, then let me know who you are using so other players aren’t using the same face claims.
4. You will make characters based off of fairy tale stories. Another acceptable story is Alice in Wonderland. What is not acceptable are “Disney” characters because this isn’t a Disney game. So you must use the original work and not the Disney version.
5. If you plan to create a Checkmate member, then you can only commit your character to one job. They cannot occupy more than one.

Name: Your character’s name. A First and Last Name is preferred. It makes it a little more realistic.
Alias: If your character came from a fairy tale, then their name in the fairy tale may be their alias. It doesn’t have to be, but it is just an idea.
Nickname: Exactly that. A nickname.
Fairy Tale Inspiration: What story do they come from?
Age: Fables live a pretty long life. Like being over 100+ years old is not unusual. So if you don’t want to write an actual age then write what age they “appear to be.”
Height:
Weight:
Hair Color:
Eye Color:
Visual Description: Here is where you link to either a photo, digital art, etc. If it is Not Safe for Work, then please spoiler it “NSFW” so that we know. You do not have to have a picture in order to be in this game.
Written Description: This is a basic detailing of your character’s overall appearance. Tattoos, birthmarks, scars, skin color, or any interesting qualities that aren’t found in the pictures.
Job: What job do they fall under in Checkmate?
Calling Card: Choose a single card out of a traditional deck of 52 cards. For example: “2 of Hearts.”
Cover Job: Outside of Checkmate, where do they work?
Personality: A general rundown of their personality.
Dislikes: Not sexual.
Talents: Good cook, piano player, painter, etc. No Mary Sues please. They can’t be good at everything.
Brief Background: You can write whatever you want here. How they were born. If you have a shared background with another writer, then you can collab a background here. How did they join Checkmate? If they aren’t apart of Checkmate, then what are they doing regularly?
Ons: Your character’s Ons. What turns him or her on.
Offs: Your character’s Offs. What turns him or her off.
Primary Weapon: Their main and favored one. Only one type. Dual weapons are considered one.
Secondary Weapon: Meh, self-explanatory.
Magic: This ability must be somewhat related to the character’s theme. They only get one ability. Not 2 in one. Not 3 in one. ONE ability.
Extra: Anything else you want to mention? Maybe they own a car, pets, or have an accent, who knows? Whatever you feel needs to be mentioned that doesn’t fall into the other categories.

You are always free to add as much as you want to this character sheet (CS). This is your creation.

1. Keep OOC in the OOC. No OOC bubbles in the IC please.
2. Respect each others’ ons and offs.
3. Stay in the illusion of the game. Please do not breech the barriers of OOC and IC.
4. Post at least 200 words or more.
5. Grammar and spelling to the best of your ability are a must.
6. Communication! Please, if you plan to leave on holiday, vacation, or if work is going to keep you busy for a few days, do not just inform your Rp Partner. Always keep the OOC up-to-date on your whereabouts. My activity policy is if you go AWOL for 14 days, then I will PM you. If you go AWOL for 30 days, then you will be removed from the game.
7. Have fun and be creative. As the GM, I can guide this game, but the game really shines when writers add their own imaginations to it and play their characters down to a T.
8. If you have any comments or suggestions feel free to share them with me, but in the end, whatever I say goes, so please respect that.
***9. Sex Scenes: Please put a "NSFW" spoiler around sex scenes. If the undergarments come off, if sexual body parts come out, then you need to put a spoiler around it. This way, reading isn't interrupted by it. For those who like to smut, they can do so without issue. This gives people a choice to read it or not read it at their leisure. It is just another technique for keeping the drama down. Thank you.

Reserved Characters

Reserved Fairy Tale characters will be listed here.

Grandfather Death

Taken Characters

Jack Spriggins - Jack and the Beanstalk - Muscle - TheBlackThrone
Nyasia Valeri - The Little Match Girl - Muscle - Lady Sakura
Salvatore Orso - Goldilocks - Boss - Aiden
Devina/Devora Tweedle - Alice in Wonderland - Collectors - CurvyKitten
Aldrick Kess - The Arch Rogue - Collector - Untamed Skies
Marianne Vincent - Mary, Mary Quite Contrary - Right Hand - sweets

Taken Cards

Jack of Spades
Ace of Spades
Joker
Two of Clubs
Jack of Diamonds
Queen of Hearts

Q & A
An outline of questions that have been asked in the recruitment thread and their GM answers.

Q:
Quote from: mai on February 03, 2018, 10:28:15 AM
Are original characters allowed, or is this fairy-tale characters only? If the latter, what qualifies something as a fairy-tale? I know you've excluded Disney but I have a couple of thoughts that are newer fiction but I think might still fit.

A:
Quote from: TheBlackThrone on February 03, 2018, 10:35:42 AM

Any author written in this list: https://fairytalez.com/authors-and-collections/

I count Beatrix Potter, Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, and Nursery Rhymes.

I want to discourage OCs because there is such a variety of characters to choose from. They are technically already OCs because you're taking them and making them your own while still keeping them within the twist of their tales.

Q:
Quote from: Lady Sakura on February 03, 2018, 03:50:53 PM
Which thread do you feel this game will go into?

A:
Quote from: TheBlackThrone on February 03, 2018, 03:51:56 PM
Exotic Freeform Small Group

Links

Character Thread

IC

OOC

Side Thread

Discord

Will set up another soon with new interest...
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

mai

Are original characters allowed, or is this fairy-tale characters only? If the latter, what qualifies something as a fairy-tale? I know you've excluded Disney but I have a couple of thoughts that are newer fiction but I think might still fit.

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: mai on February 03, 2018, 10:28:15 AM

Any author written in this list: https://fairytalez.com/authors-and-collections/

I count Beatrix Potter, Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, and Nursery Rhymes.

I want to discourage OCs because there is such a variety of characters to choose from. They are technically already OCs because you're taking them and making them your own while still keeping them within the twist of their tales.
The gates are open

mai

I see. I'll think about it then. I'm not normally much of a fairytale person but I like the setting and concept.

mai

With GM approval, here's the character I'll be playing:

Violet
Name: Violet Simoneit
Alias: Cezar
Nickname: Vi
Fairy Tale Inspiration: Ok Shakespeare's 12th Night isn't really a fairy tale, but I'm conceptualizing Vi here as a sort of amalgamation of "the girl who ran away from home dressed as a boy"
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 150lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Visual Description: one, two.
Written Description: Violet is a slender woman with dark hair and eyes. She's small-chested and boyish, which helps with her disguise. Her skin is a light brown, and her ethnicity is ambiguous. Her hair is fairly short, never really getting longer than her chin. She has no tattoos or distinguishing marks, but she does have a scar across the left side of her ribcage where she was injured during a plane crash.
Job: Tinker - Gunsmith
Calling Card: Jack of Hearts
Cover Job: She does actually work at a gun store, catering mainly to hunters and sport shooters
Personality: Violet is pretty quiet most of the time. She's reserved and perceptive, and careful in her movements and actions. When this goes too far, she can be a bit too passive, letting her own life pass her by. It's not easy to spur her to dramatic action, but when she does act she's generally pretty self-assured about her decisions.
Dislikes: Any form of restraint - she hates prisons, slavery, indentured servitude, or anything of the sort. She's also not really a fan of tight places and prefers to be outside when she can.
Talents: Gunsmithing! She's really good at making weapons, and pretty good at using them.
Brief Background: As a girl, Violet was part of a happy family with her twin brother Cezar, and their parents. In her early teenaged years, they were caught in a horrible plane crash. Thrown free of the wreckage, Violet miraculously survived. Her parents did not, she found their bodies in the wreckage. Her brother was nowhere to be found, so she assumed that he'd been consumed entirely by the fire that had caught in what remained of the plane after the crash. Since then, she's been on her own. Worried about what people might do to a young woman traveling alone, she disguised herself as her presumed-dead brother Cezar, and set off into the world. She traveled for years having adventures, and eventually settled down, apprenticing herself to a talented gunsmith. He's semi-retired now, and Violet, gradually abandoning the Cezar disguise, now runs the business in her own right.
Ons: She's pretty vanilla honestly, but she does have a particular affection for involving mouths and fingers in whatever sex she's having.
Offs: Restraints, pain, having her breasts touched.
Primary Weapon: A gun! Her main one is a semi-automatic pistol she made herself. It's not special in terms of its abilities but it's very well-made.
Secondary Weapon: In some cases she's been known to use a rifle, also that she made herself. It's a bolt-action scoped affair and very good for precision shooting
Magic: Violet has the ability to disguise herself as an attractive young man. When she's doing this with magic, she won't be recognized as herself even by people who know her.
Extra: She owns a motorcycle but these days just uses it to get to and from her job.

Lady Sakura

*slaps her interest down* Will work on a character.

Can I make a doc and a muscle who is female?

TheBlackThrone

The gates are open

Lady Sakura

The feeling is mutual.  :D

I'm thinking of making a character from Hans Christian Anderson's The "Little Match Girl" If that's acceptable ^^

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: Lady Sakura on February 03, 2018, 03:20:26 PM
The feeling is mutual.  :D

I'm thinking of making a character from Hans Christian Anderson's The "Little Match Girl" If that's acceptable ^^

Yes, it is.
The gates are open

Chasseybaby

Should of posed this earlier but my interest is in this 😘

Deathnote

Hmm... might as well try playing as The Shape-Shifting Gray Wolf from Tsarevitch Ivan, the Firebird and the Gray Wolf again

Lady Sakura

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: Lady Sakura on February 03, 2018, 03:50:53 PM

Exotic Freeform Small Group
The gates are open

Lady Sakura

Should I pm you my sheets or post them here?

Also, I was thinking of making a strip club owner who does illegal gambling and drug smuggling in a secret room inside the club, is that cools?

I think I'll make this character from Charles Skinner's "Miss Briton's Poker"

Amarlo

I am definitely interested. I will be keeping an eye on this at any rate. ^^

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: Lady Sakura on February 03, 2018, 08:13:17 PM
Should I pm you my sheets or post them here?

Also, I was thinking of making a strip club owner who does illegal gambling and drug smuggling in a secret room inside the club, is that cools?

I think I'll make this character from Charles Skinner's "Miss Briton's Poker"

Either or. You can PM or just drop it here.

I am about to add another rule above the rules for character creation so to tell everyone, you cannot pick multiple jobs for your character. You have to commit them to one.

You guys can also pick fairy tales from the Asian and Middle East countries. Do not confuse a Fairy Tale with a Legend.

Quote from: Amarlo on February 03, 2018, 10:50:39 PM
I am definitely interested. I will be keeping an eye on this at any rate. ^^

beckons with golden cat paw You know you're coming in here this time!
The gates are open

Foxy DeVille

Interest acquired. Submitting recruit.

Goldilocks

Name: Tyler Southey
Alias: Goldilocks
Nickname: Goldie   
Fairy Tale Inspiration: "Goldilocks and the Three Bears"
Height: 5' 7"
Weight 127 lbs
Hair Color: Platinum Blonde
Eye Color: Hazel
Visual Description: One Two Three Four
Written Description: Goldilocks has clearly has a lot of work done and seems incapable of dressing modestly
Job: Breecher
Calling Card: Three of Spades
Cover Job: Entertainer, considers herself a singer but actually most her time on stage is as a stripper
Personality: A vain, shallow, self-absorbed hedonist with little regard for anything but her own pleasure and desire for thrills
Likes: Attention, luxury goods, feeling smarter than other people, partying, the rush of adrenaline
Dislikes: Boredom, people calling her a bimbo, being overlooked, not getting her way
Talents: A pretty good singer and dancer but her real gift is for breaking and entering
Brief Background: Originally from a small rural town in Georgia back at the turn on the 20th century, young Tyler Southey was not the most obedient child and wandered off into the woods in spite of being told not to by her mother. She stumbled across a small house and had a serious misunderstanding with the owners, three talking bears. Tyler eventually made her way out of the forest but to her shock over a hundred years had passed and she was now physically a young woman. Her time in the woods and given her the ability to know which choice was "just right" and used this to make her way to New Fantasia. There she tried to become a singer but ended up stripping under the stage name "Goldilocks." She made decent money but not enough to support the lifestyle she wanted so Goldilocks supplemented her income with burglary. Initially she worked solo but her heists got the attention of Checkmate and they did a good job of convincing her that it would be in her best interests to work for them.   
Ons: Goldilocks is an exhibitionist who loves rough gang-bangs where all of her holes are filled
Offs: Don't try getting romantic with her, just shut up and do what you're there for
Primary Weapon: An air pistol that shoots pellets used mainly to scare people since more lethal force isn't her style
Secondary Weapon: She keeps an antique sword she stole on a wall in her bedroom as both decoration and in case she has an unwanted visitor
Magic: Intuitive Appraisal - Goldilocks has an instinctive ability to know which choice is "just right" for her. With just a glance she gets a strong gut feeling over which route to take, what code to press, or which person to take home according to her wants and needs.
Extra: Goldilocks has a charming southern accent and a not-so-charming drug habit. So far her magic has protected her from the worst dangers but she might not be as in control as she thinks.

Caela

Very interesting concept...most definitely watching this.

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: Foxy Oni on February 04, 2018, 02:31:44 AM
Interest acquired. Submitting recruit.

Goldilocks

Name: Tyler Southey
Alias: Goldilocks
Nickname: Goldie   
Fairy Tale Inspiration: "Goldilocks and the Three Bears"
Height: 5' 7"
Weight 127 lbs
Hair Color: Platinum Blonde
Eye Color: Hazel
Visual Description: One Two Three Four
Written Description: Goldilocks has clearly has a lot of work done and seems incapable of dressing modestly
Job: Breecher
Calling Card: Three of Spades
Cover Job: Entertainer, considers herself a singer but actually most her time on stage is as a stripper
Personality: A vain, shallow, self-absorbed hedonist with little regard for anything but her own pleasure and desire for thrills
Likes: Attention, luxury goods, feeling smarter than other people, partying, the rush of adrenaline
Dislikes: Boredom, people calling her a bimbo, being overlooked, not getting her way
Talents: A pretty good singer and dancer but her real gift is for breaking and entering
Brief Background: Originally from a small rural town in Georgia back at the turn on the 20th century, young Tyler Southey was not the most obedient child and wandered off into the woods in spite of being told not to by her mother. She stumbled across a small house and had a serious misunderstanding with the owners, three talking bears. Tyler eventually made her way out of the forest but to her shock over a hundred years had passed and she was now physically a young woman. Her time in the woods and given her the ability to know which choice was "just right" and used this to make her way to New Fantasia. There she tried to become a singer but ended up stripping under the stage name "Goldilocks." She made decent money but not enough to support the lifestyle she wanted so Goldilocks supplemented her income with burglary. Initially she worked solo but her heists got the attention of Checkmate and they did a good job of convincing her that it would be in her best interests to work for them.   
Ons: Goldilocks is an exhibitionist who loves rough gang-bangs where all of her holes are filled
Offs: Don't try getting romantic with her, just shut up and do what you're there for
Primary Weapon: An air pistol that shoots pellets used mainly to scare people since more lethal force isn't her style
Secondary Weapon: She keeps an antique sword she stole on a wall in her bedroom as both decoration and in case she has an unwanted visitor
Magic: Intuitive Appraisal - Goldilocks has an instinctive ability to know which choice is "just right" for her. With just a glance she gets a strong gut feeling over which route to take, what code to press, or which person to take home according to her wants and needs.
Extra: Goldilocks has a charming southern accent and a not-so-charming drug habit. So far her magic has protected her from the worst dangers but she might not be as in control as she thinks.

Looks good approved.
The gates are open

Lady Sakura

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on February 04, 2018, 12:37:02 AM
Either or. You can PM or just drop it here.

I am about to add another rule above the rules for character creation so to tell everyone, you cannot pick multiple jobs for your character. You have to commit them to one.

You guys can also pick fairy tales from the Asian and Midodle East countries. Do not confuse a Fairy Tale with a Legend.

Should i pick a different story then? I heard of Charles Skinner from my literature class back in the day but if it doesn't fit I can look up something different?

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: Lady Sakura on February 04, 2018, 05:23:15 AM
Should i pick a different story then? I heard of Charles Skinner from my literature class back in the day but if it doesn't fit I can look up something different?

You can pick whatever you want as long as it is a fairy tale and Charles Skinner is a fairy tale writer.
The gates are open

Lady Sakura

Oh answer prior, made it appear as if I might have picked a legend and not a fairy tale.  :-\ I wanted to make sure I didn't make mistake or need to pick a different story from his or something else.

TheBlackThrone

I read some of his stories just now and yeah, you're right. They are more like legends than fairy tales. Use this definition as a rule of thumb when deciding on what story to use. I also recommend you take some days to think about it. I am only making this suggestion because you gave me some ideas that I have been writing under "reserve" and then you may or may not be going back on those ideas. Settle on a story, keep it simple if you have to (picking the usual fairy tales), and send up a CS.

QuoteLegends, myths, and fairy tales are all various types of folklore, most of which have been passed down through generations. Legends are usually based on some sort of historical fact and have had their characters or events embellished over the tellings and retellings. Fairy tales generally have some sort of fantastic element, and might feature magic, imaginary creatures, and often a conflict between sides that are clearly good and evil. A myth has its basis in religion, often telling stories of supernatural beings or creators, and usually explaining some sort of natural phenomenon
-- From knowledgenuts.com
The gates are open

Lady Sakura

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on February 04, 2018, 05:47:35 AM
I also recommend you take some days to think about it. I am only making this suggestion because you gave me some ideas that I have been writing under "reserve" and then you may or may not be going back on those ideas.

I don't know what this means.

However, for now I'll just stick to my little match girl's concept and look at some stories to see if I get another idea later.

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: Lady Sakura on February 04, 2018, 06:13:48 AM
I don't know what this means.

However, for now I'll just stick to my little match girl's concept and look at some stories to see if I get another idea later.

All I'm saying is, every time you told me an idea, I have been writing it down under "Reserved Characters." And I don't know if you plan to actually use those ideas or not. I am going to delete the Miss Briton reservation and just leave the Little Match Girl since you are saying you are planning to go through with it.
The gates are open