The Florida "Gay" Bar

Started by Sabby, August 28, 2008, 05:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

No, I meant him posting the others' contact info... unless it's public... still...

Jefepato

Quote from: Trieste on August 28, 2008, 08:31:47 PM
No, I meant him posting the others' contact info... unless it's public... still...

Of course it's public.  They're a bar association.

They could do without the attention from Mr. Thompson, of course, but they have contact information listed publicly with the Florida Bar (among other places).  The organization would be a bit pointless if people didn't know how to get in touch with them.

Trieste

Yes, indeed. However, I don't know if judge's personal info is public or not. And yeah, I'm sure they could do without the publicity of this guy ... but it is also Florida, too. Some parts of it are nicht so gut for anyone not-straight. Or Christian. Or white. And so on.

Jefepato

Quote from: Trieste on August 28, 2008, 09:52:25 PM
Yes, indeed. However, I don't know if judge's personal info is public or not. And yeah, I'm sure they could do without the publicity of this guy ... but it is also Florida, too. Some parts of it are nicht so gut for anyone not-straight. Or Christian. Or white. And so on.

That address is for the Clerk's Office of the Florida Supreme Court (see the bottom of this page: http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/justices/quince.shtml ).  It's not the Chief Justice's personal residence or anything like that.  Nothing here you couldn't Google, really.

Trieste

Ahhhh... then I suppose it's not quite so asinine. Sort of.

*smiles* Thanks, Jefe...

ShrowdedPoet

Yeah,  Judge and Law etc is public but not their residence unless that's what they want made public.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Bayushi

Quote from: Trieste on August 28, 2008, 07:58:55 PMI don't know who this guy is; haven't been following, but it seems kinda shady to post others' contact info in the comments of random blogs...

Jack Thompson.....  :o

Jack Thompson is a radical lawyer, disbarred in Florida, who has taken up a personal crusade, of sorts, against(most notedly) Video Games.

He firmly believes(apparently) that violent video games cause people to become homicidal and/or violent. In fact, within an hour of the Virginia Tech shootings, he had called in to major cable news networks, and was put on the air claiming that the perpetrator(the shooter) had "trained" for this shooting with the game "Doom"... when authorities hadn't even identified, much less announced, who the perpetrator was. Which he has also blamed for the Columbine Shootings, amongst others.

He's gone as far as to associate Dungeons and Dragons with other such criminally violent incidents.

...and even after being disbarred, and unlikely to pass the bar anywhere else in the country, the dipshit is still at it.

He's about as homophobic as it gets, unfortunately, and completely unreasonable towards any point of view that may indirectly differ with his.

For more information....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(attorney)

Oniya

Quote from: Akiko on September 23, 2008, 01:21:53 AM
Jack Thompson is a radical lawyer, disbarred in Florida, who has taken up a personal crusade, of sorts, against(most notedly) Video Games.

He firmly believes(apparently) that violent video games cause people to become homicidal and/or violent. In fact, within an hour of the Virginia Tech shootings, he had called in to major cable news networks, and was put on the air claiming that the perpetrator(the shooter) had "trained" for this shooting with the game "Doom"... when authorities hadn't even identified, much less announced, who the perpetrator was. Which he has also blamed for the Columbine Shootings, amongst others.

He's gone as far as to associate Dungeons and Dragons with other such criminally violent incidents.

D&D causes violence?  Geez, our group once gave the cold shoulder to someone for flinging dice at a fellow player.  We're so terribly violent, you see.  I can see a slightly better argument for the FPS games, but it's right up there with the ones for rock and roll causing drug use or death metal causing suicide.  A person already prone to the criminal behavior might be drawn to them, but it's more likely an 'if B then A' instead of an 'if A then B' situation.

Alex deLarge liked a little Ludwig van with his ultra-violence.  Maybe Mr. Thompson should go after those classical music freaks, too.   ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Quote from: Akiko on September 23, 2008, 01:21:53 AM
Jack Thompson.....  :o

...and even after being disbarred, and unlikely to pass the bar anywhere else in the country, the dipshit is still at it.

He's about as homophobic as it gets, unfortunately, and completely unreasonable towards any point of view that may indirectly differ with his.

For more information....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(attorney)

Dude, he hasn't been disbarred yet >__> the decision is pending... also, hurray for thread Necromancy.

Jefepato

Quote from: Sabbat on September 23, 2008, 09:44:14 AM
Dude, he hasn't been disbarred yet >__> the decision is pending... also, hurray for thread Necromancy.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/09/25/disbarred
:D :D :D

Sabby

...not to pull a Sander Cohen here, but... it... is... accomplished!

Caehlim

Quote from: The Overlord on August 28, 2008, 09:54:05 AM
I think George Takei said it best two years ago at Dragoncon when I saw him speak there

Just when I was thinking George Takei couldn't possibly be any more awesome.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.