Village

Started by Apple of Eris, December 12, 2007, 12:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple of Eris

So I was watching the movie The Village again, and I was thinking about a game based on that story, but not holding entirely true to it. I was thinking more along the lines of a human settlement of about a hundred people in a clearing somewhere in the middle of an isolated forest; except the monsters, this time they are real. The original settlers, now the few living Elders struck a bargain with 'those of whom we do not speak.' The humans keep to their village, and the monsters stay in the forests. But something has angered the creatures, and the first signs of their displeasure are discovered when some of the cattle are found mutilated.

While the creatures are real in the idea, I'd rather not get all carried away with some crazy fantasy setting. Maybe there is magic, but it'd be extremely rare and barely understood, otherwise lets not get all elf/dwarfy and everyone has chain mail and a broad sword stuff with this one.

I'd really rather find someone to run a game like this for a small number of players or even just myself, than try and run it myself, so if anyone is interested, let me know.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Stevej101

The monsters for the most part some earthly like critter (bear, Bigfoot, something like that) that can operate on more then instinct?

What level of erotic are you looking for?  Nothing happens, something between the villagers, something between a villager and the beasts (think virgin sacrifice, I know I do :D )

I'd be interested for player at least, though as a GM I would not mind with a little help.
"But I like it in the gutter, its dark and warm and I meet all sorts of interesting people."

Ons and Offs

Apple of Eris

Well they kind of reminded me of those whatever you call 'ems I remember from D&D (Gnolls, had to look that up) but I think more along the folklore lines rather than the silly D&D variety (in folklore they're vile hyena-men things). I'd assume they'd have some level of intelligence (they wear those red cloaks) and are really rather cuning.

I don't really care how erotic it would be, but I'm thinking there would definately be a strong horror element though.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Stevej101

Oh man, was really looking forward to the virgin sacrifice, but if you insist we keep away from it...I'd still be interested in the game, could be fun I think.
"But I like it in the gutter, its dark and warm and I meet all sorts of interesting people."

Ons and Offs

Caustic

And, depending on availability, I really like the idea too.  Let me know if I can assist, participate, or just ogle from the sidelines.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Tsume

I'd also be interested in participating as a player, depending on availability.

Apple of Eris

Steve, if you want to have some virgin sacrifices that's fine. I don't really care about the level of eroticism in the game, I'm game for pretty much anything within my limits :)

And it looks like a couple others might want to play too. I could help GM, I suppose. I don't know how much I could help since I doubt I'm very good at it, but I can maybe help with ideas.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Brandon

This is just something that crossed my mind but after reading over this I got an idea using the Werewolf: The Forsaken setting. It starts off with a village member going out into the woods to do some hunting, cut down a tree, or something like that then he experiences his first change and finds out that all those rumors about beasts and danger in the woods is really a spirit choir using the humans to create a village ripe with fear and xenophobia.

The rumors of a dangerous beast are really him out fighting or foiling the spirits and while normal people need sex an uratha needs even more to sate their appetite so not only are their rumors of violence and threatening howls (which would be him keeping people away from dangerous spirits/areas) there would also be rumors of him taking advantage of women (to sate his lust and try to get more Uratha in the village)

Anyway, as I said it was only an idea that crossed my mind. I understand your looking for something thats likely more mundane which is fine and at the same time interesting. Ild be interested in playing if theres going to be some actual writing partners to interact with
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Apple of Eris

Yeah, I definately want it to be more mundane than that, but I'm certainly interested and some others are, so hopefully this can get up and running once we have a definate GM/moderator type. Though maybe mr. steve is still interested in that post, hopefully. *puppy dog eyes*

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Stevej101

Still here and interested, can do the GM with help as to keeping me with the story.

Apple we should do a little planning for this in PM if you would and we can iron out the details.  Oh and the payment plan for me helping you  ;)

Ons and Offs

OldSchoolGamer

I'd be interested in playing a female villager...or male monster...give me a few days to slog through the backlog of RL leftover from a project I just undertook, and PM me with anything I need to do.

VandalSavage

I am giving this a bump, in that I and another player are interested in the idea.

Should a Storyteller for it present themselves, that would be splendid, especially considering that so many talented persons are on the list of those who've taken an interest.

That having been said, we may consider doing this entirely freeform.  That is to say, in keeping with the themes in 'The Village', we can all develop the Lore of the story together, without necessarily consulting one another or coming up with a set backstory.  This would create the kind of writing environment in which the story develops entirely organically, like folklore, feeding off of itself and branching off in new paths.

Any interest in that kind of an exercise - one where we develop the legend as we go?

Apple of Eris

Well since I originated this and then it sort of died before going anywhere, I'd probably hop on board. Though I'm pushing the edges of utter burnout, so I can't say I'm a definate go.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

VandalSavage

Quote from: appleoferis on January 21, 2008, 11:36:02 PM
...Though I'm pushing the edges of utter burnout, so I can't say I'm a definate go.

It seems there are a number of threads that move slowly, and many more with hardly a post in them.  Given this, I figure what harm in opening a game thread?  I too am rather busy, but would not mind poking away at this setting when convenient.

Before we open one, what are some specific concepts you have in mind for this story, beyond the milieu of a village isolated within a landscape of secretive monsters?

Apple of Eris

Well, I had been planning on drawing rather heavily from the concepts of the movie. The original settlers (the elders now) went there because they had been hurt etc etc, and the monsters were stirring because of something one of the villagers had done. It never really got further than just a general idea unfortunately. Damn life for interevening.

I had some other notes somewhere so if I find them I'll shuffle them off to you.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

VandalSavage

Quote from: appleoferis on January 22, 2008, 12:17:57 PM
I had some other notes somewhere so if I find them I'll shuffle them off to you.

I look forward to them.  Anything specific about time period?  Size of population?  Nature of the monsters?

True to form, I see this working well in an Ancient setting.  Perhaps this is due to my love of history, perhaps due to my contempt for the Amish, but the specific time period setting in the film does little for me. 

On the other hand, in 1,500 BC Judea, or 400 AD Arabia, 1st Century BC Armenia, or even 12th century Crusader-era Canaan!  Well, the ideas just pour.

Basically, would a medieval or bronze age setting work?

Valerian

Oh, I'd forgotten this topic, though I was hoping something would come of it so I could at least read along... I was rather too busy myself at the time the idea was first proposed.

But it is very intriguing, and certainly doesn't need to be restricted to the 19th-century-ish level of the film, in my opinion (though this being apple's idea, I wouldn't want to step on any toes there).  Since I know more about medieval life circa the 13th and 14th centuries than 19th century life, though, I guess that's the direction I would lean.

Really, the overall idea has always seemed so psychological to me that the exact setting doesn't make a great deal of difference...
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Stevej101

Apple my dear, we had been talking about this and I am still more then willing to help as needed.

Ons and Offs

Apple of Eris

Oh totally, I'm not huge on any specific Era, though I was thinking originally on something around middle ages, year one thousand type of setting.

The location I had notes on (somewhat derived from the film, yes I was that bored and nerdy one night) which are somewhere in my apartment and I'll look for later, but I had moved the village into a forested valley that resembled the area around the pocono mountains. But honestly, any area which meets the basic idea would do.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

VandalSavage

How splendid to see Valerian and Steve involved.  I have enjoyed both of your work quite a bit.

How is this for a basic setting:

Location: A lost quarter of the forested hills in the Land of Canaan

Date:  Circa 1098 AD

Society:  Insular and clannish locals who have lived there for hundreds of years or a new colony of pilgrims who settled here some generations ago.

Rules:

• Never go over the hills.

• Never go into the woods at night.

• Never answer the calls that come from the woods at night.

• All women must be married by the age of 16.

Stevej101

Quote from: VandalSavage on January 22, 2008, 02:48:29 PM
How splendid to see Valerian and Steve involved.  I have enjoyed both of your work quite a bit.

I'm starting to get worried, thats the second time in a week someone said they read my stuff and admit it!

I like the set up and as I said early on in this thread that I would be more then happy to be the evil denizens, (as long as the occasionall lovely lady dosen't follow the rules), a member of the village and, if apple needs assistance, help her out as well.

and thanks VS for the compliment.

Ons and Offs

Apple of Eris

Whoa... don't expect me to be a moderater for this. I'm barely functional as a player right now! ;)

But... I'd be happy to join in a shared story type thing as Vandal suggested.

I'm okay with the rules except I really dislike the marriage one. The village I picture is a bit more... enlightened than that. Though it may be customary for women to marry young, I dislike the idea of that being forced.

As per my inspiration, I figured the only real 'rule' (more like custom than anything hard or fast) of courting is that a younger daughter (or son!) may not marry or whatever until their elder siblings have married.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Valerian

Quote from: VandalSavage on January 22, 2008, 02:48:29 PM
Uh, oh.  People are starting to figure out who I am.  Obviously I need a lower profile.

*ahem*  Anyway, yes, perhaps early marriage is strongly encouraged rather than actually required.  And maybe there's also some sort of coming of age ritual... not necessarily a dramatic or even dangerous thing, as sometimes happens, though it could be; or perhaps it's something more like the old English tradition of 'coming out'.  After that happens, courting begins, and the older children are expected to be married or at least engaged before too many of the younger children come of age.

I'm just curious about what sort of calls there are coming from these woods...
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

VandalSavage

Quote from: Valerian on January 22, 2008, 03:19:04 PM
I'm just curious about what sort of calls there are coming from these woods...

Quote from: appleoferisI'm okay with the rules except I really dislike the marriage one. The village I picture is a bit more... enlightened than that. Though it may be customary for women to marry young, I dislike the idea of that being forced.

Delightful!  Two rule breakers already!

How about you and I Co-Moderate, Steve?  That way, if we would also like to play, we could torment one another. 

I have a pretty good idea of the setting and mythology I would like, and figure that as intriguing as playing initially was, Storytelling has seized my interest.  Still, I would love to have some playing role in this, and could certainly use assistance, should Steve be offering.

Stevej101

I will certainly assist as much as I can, again as long as there is a character, preferably of the beast persuasion, in it for me :)

As far as the 'calls from the woods', the beasts would perhaps be able to mimic somewhat?  Your friend lost withing the edge of the wood calling you to come help them.  That may be enough incentive to lure someone into the forbidden territory.

Ons and Offs