Advice needed: origin for an Ancient Greek heroine

Started by Beorning, March 13, 2012, 03:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

On another RPing site, I'm a player in a game set in Ancient Greece (strictly speaking, the *mythological* version of Ancient Greece). I want to create a character of a female warrior, a heroine of "larger than life" variety. And I could use some inspiration from you, people :)

Any ideas for an origin story for such a character? It's Ancient Greece, after all - so, a female warrior would be an unusual occurence. Also, as mentioned, my character needs to be a hero of somewhat epic proportions (or, at least, potential) - so, her origin story needs to be something more special than a story of run-of-the-mill hoplite. I'm considering giving this character some sort of ties to the goddess Athena - but that's all I have for now.

Any suggestions?

Lilias

A demi-goddess seems to be the natural choice, though not absolutely necessary. The myth of Atalanta could be a good starting point.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Beorning

Yes, Atalanta is one of my inspirations - although I was thinking more of a "human favoured by a god" character type instead of a demigod.

I need some motivation for her, though... At first, I wanted her to simply be a martially-gifted princess - but it turns out that, for story reasons, she needs to be a travelling / wandering hero. So, I need some idea on how to put her on her way...

Lilias

The way most male heroes did the same: something really weird happens, and the Oracle hands her a cryptic quest. Plenty of adventures to be had along several false leads.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Beguile's Mistress

Suppose she is born the daughter of a warrior or tribal leader but the man wants a son to be his heir.  She could have been brought up as a boy, either having her true gender disguised or ignored, and trained to be a warrior like her father.  Meanwhile the father is trying to find a way around the rule that only a son can inherit.  Before he can do this and enemy attacks and the father is killed.  The daughter is left homeless and alone and this is where the Oracle in Lillias's post steps in with a heroic quest.  Perhaps this is in response to the girl's request to become a man or to be given the right to avenge her father.