D&D for EVIL Characters/Party

Started by OldSchoolGamer, October 19, 2008, 05:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beautiful Lie

The following sentence is True. The previous sentence is a Lie.

Ouria

*coughs* :-[

Okay, maybe I got a bit emotional in my word choice.  That was not intentional.  But, I think I made my point.

GrinningHound

My problem lies not within playing a flawed character, but within playing a character who dies before I get a chance to play much of him.

In my experience gaming, I lose LOTS of characters.

Also, there's another angle you aren't seeing.  I am in fact obsessive compulsive.  For example, in certain video games with highly customizable characters and sensitive plot structures, I will start over again and again and again until I am satisfied with exactly how things turn out.  When I played through Mass Effect I saved before every dialogue, just so I could try every option, then reloaded and went ahead with the choice I liked best.

It's awkward...  I apologize if I seem very nitpicky.  I'm not trying to minmax, I'm just trying to make the character I will most enjoy playing, and who will hopefully live through a few encounters.  Tabletop, I play the warrior type, and they die....

OldSchoolGamer

One reason I came up with the point-buy system is to ensure that EVERY character has weaknesses.  There will be no characters in this game with all their stats over 12.  Not gonna happen.  Almost all great people had flaws.  A master thief might have a low Constitution and catch colds easily.  A wizard might be butt-ugly with a 7 Charisma...perhaps his very ugliness is what led him to sequester himself from the rest of humanity and hone his magical skills.  A priest might be beloved by her goddess...but with an 8 Dexterity be exceedingly clumsy, even as she is strong in the face of adversity (15 Constitution).  With my system, you can't have more than one, maybe two high stats at most without taking a hit somewhere.

So there are no dump stats, but if you have a low stat, you'll be in good company.

Nadir

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on December 09, 2008, 01:03:21 AM
Quirks:

Strong-willed.  Years of rough-and-tumble life have made Corr just a little tougher mentally than she otherwise would be.  +2 to saving throws versus charm and sleep-based spells, +1 to save versus illusions.

Evader.  In her short life, Corr has learned that the foolproof way to avoid taking damage is not to be there when it's dished out.  +1 to Dexterity when calculating AC in combat.

Sounds good to me. ^_^

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: GrinningHound on December 09, 2008, 01:58:20 AM
Am I too late?  I have my character mostly statted out now, and the background, while not fantastic, is pretty solid in my opinion.

The exact numbers I decided on are on my other computer, along with the book, but this is pretty close.

Gorin Murricane

N Human Fighter

Quirks:

Tough.  Gorin is able to keep on fighting despite punishment that would bring a typical warrior down.  If Gorin is between -x hp and 0 hp, inclusive, where "x" is equal to his level, he may attempt a Constitution check.  If successful, he remains conscious and can continue to fight as if he has 1 hit point.  If he takes additional damage before healing can be applied, he goes unconscious (or dead, if at -10hp or lower).  This ability does not affect Gorin's actual hit point count.

Hard Charger.  Gorin charges hard into a fight, giving him added opportunity to inflict damage...but perhaps leaving himself vulnerable in return.  On first round of combat in a battle, Gorin gets +1 to hit and +20% to damage, but suffers a +1 penalty to his A.C.

Beautiful Lie

When do we intend to get this started / are all the players ready? :)
The following sentence is True. The previous sentence is a Lie.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Beautiful Lie on December 12, 2008, 10:58:05 PM
When do we intend to get this started / are all the players ready? :)

Yes, where did the week go?

I've been a bit busy lately, but what I'm going to do is to post a few legends, stories and rumors circulating around Oldsted.  These are designed to provide a starting point for characters to adventure.  Be warned: some of what is posted is absolutely true.  Some is mainly true, though with a few differences between story and reality.  Some is based on truth, but substantially different from reality.  And some is completely false.  You won't know which is which...but following any of the stories, myths, and legends WILL lead to adventure!

The Great Triangle

Does my character get any handy quirks?  (or does selecting a custom kit and using the animal friendship spell to get animal companions take up my quirk slots?)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

GrinningHound

Oooh, my quirks is sexy.

Hrmmm.....I have another character idea as well, classic paladin gone wrong situation, though it absolutely wouldn't work as a dual class option with Gorin, because his Charisma isn't high enough.

I can't quite decide who I'd rather play, the enormous thug, or the awe and terror inspiring Dark Knight type of villain.

The Great Triangle

Play da thug!  Thugs are sexier.  :)

(also less prone to breaking down crying after slaughtering all the men of an outlying village and lining up the women to be raped by a gang of goblnoids, so that the entire attack can be blamed on the negligence and cowardce of the local authorities.)

<.<

>.>

Not that we'd be doing anything like that.

(and then accepting a contract to wipe out the goblins to double our profits)

Ons and Offs

GrinningHound

Well, the way I see it there's not actually a reason to kill and rape villagers, unless there's a distinct advantage in doing so.  Like if I have to expand the parking lot of my keep.

Hmmm....oh, but the dark paladin would be sexy!  Deluxe sexy!  I'm thinking a pretty half elven lad, with a smidge of demonic blood that he doesn't know about, that sometimes makes him do naughty things, and then he conjures up an imaginary friend to cope psychologically, but slowly starts becoming that imaginary friend.  :P

He wouldn't be super strong, but he'd still be a great murderer by virtue of cunning and deception, and of course Blackguards gain some cool powers along the way.  :)

The Great Triangle

There is a distinct advantage in raping and killing.  Spreading fear.  If villagers have to worry that they will be killed at any moment by bandits and their children forced into a life of violent vengeance, they'll give anything to anyone who promises to somehow stop the chaos.   Perhaps even if the poor sheep are dimly aware that those who can stop the devastation are also responsible for causing it.

Now, of course, a lawful evil person starts conscripting stormtroopers at this point, while a chaotic evil person has all of the village elders killed, and goes around collecting tribute at random.  Of course, being under the heel of a tyrant or a warlord is still better than what those bastards would do if you didn't pay the protection costs.

The real issue isn't what you can accomplish by spreading fear and misery, but why you want to do so.  For my character, he wants to get revenge against his father, and honor his Goddess.  Perhaps when he's the ruler of these lands, he can free people from their quaint notions of racial purity, and reorganize society to live in harmony with the phases of the moon, banning slavery and prostitution.  (there will be no need for harlots when all sexual behavior is considered acceptable)

The only real problem is dealing with those pesky "hero" types, and possibly that little voice inside of you that tells you what you're doing is wrong. 

Better not tell anyone about that, if you don't want to get eaten alive by your companions.

Ons and Offs

GrinningHound

Hm.  Well, I don't think I'll be playing a would be conqueror type.  More like a roaming asshole, I'm thinking.  He isn't mean to people for the sake of being mean and scary, but he just plain doesn't have a whole lot of empathy.

He's only level one, and currently a mercenary, not necessarily a bad guy, so I have time to develop his motivations.  According to his background and upbringing, he would feel that anyone who allows themselves to be pushed around deserves it for not having the backbone to resist.

The Great Triangle

I see... would he happen to have need of a wimpy but good looking fellow who's always talking to invisible sky faeries and handing out money to go on vaguely defined "quests"?  After all, such an individual could be quite easily pushed around.  Even his dog looks unhealthy and sick.  ;)

(protip: threats and force of arms aren't the best ways to control people, but they're a hell of a lot of fun.)

Ons and Offs

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: The Great Triangle on December 13, 2008, 12:58:50 AM
Does my character get any handy quirks?  (or does selecting a custom kit and using the animal friendship spell to get animal companions take up my quirk slots?)

Madragail's quirks:

Conniving.  Half huckster, half con man, and half backstabber, Madragail has a knack for convincing others to go along with whatever devious plan he has at a given moment.  +2 to Charisma when trying to con others.

Resistant to Cold.  Having spent many nights in the elements, Madragail has developed a high tolerance for cold.  +1 to saves versus magical cold, -10% to damage, -2 to Constitution checks related to enduring exposure to cold.

Mnemaxa

Ruhk's motivations are usually simple.  She wants to be near her sister.  Where Corr goes, she follows....but she follows like an avenging angel, or a creeping darkness of night fog that strangles you in your sleep.  If you slight her sister, or touch her without permission, she will turn into a scary ball of violent psychosis (and depending on what spells she has loaded, this may appear quite literal).   Appearances deceive, and in this case, a young girl can seem harmless and quiet and shy. 

But the one with the highest body count is NOT Corr.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Zakharra

OldSchoolGamer

Yes this is a go...my apologies for the delay.  I'm going to try and get an introduction up in the next couple days.  Once I get my PDA the pace will pick up.

Zakharra

Ok. I figured the oncoming holiday might have changed some peoples plans, or at the least made posting harder.

Mnemaxa

Yeah, holidays are hard on any play-by-post game. 

:(

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

OldSchoolGamer

Zakharra

Mnemaxa

As a side note, is that the thread we are meant to begin posting in?  Also, I was wondering if our Lunarian cleric with the orphanage might have a secret marking or visible indicator that the orphanage or church is a safe haven for other Lunarians and gypsy folken?  That would make it much easier for Ruhk and Corr to join tat location.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Mnemaxa on December 24, 2008, 02:26:41 PM
As a side note, is that the thread we are meant to begin posting in?  Also, I was wondering if our Lunarian cleric with the orphanage might have a secret marking or visible indicator that the orphanage or church is a safe haven for other Lunarians and gypsy folken?  That would make it much easier for Ruhk and Corr to join tat location.

Yes, absolutely.  Secret sigils, signs, handshakes, etc. were all rather standard for secret societies and underground religions.  Still are IRL, actually--Freemasons, for instance.