What are you reading?

Started by Paradox, November 25, 2008, 09:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturnschild

Ai No Kusabi by Reiko Yoshihara

Have been looking for these 4 books ever since I have seen the OVA. Right now just starting book 2.
The greatest thing you can ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.-Moulin Rouge
In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living.- Walking Dead
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him. - Johnny Cash

Ons and Offs saturn

lexxusbabe

Just started No Logo by Naomi Klein (been looking for it ever since Radiohead recommended it, and finally found it in a charity shop). Powerful stuff. Makes you feel so angry at the Nikes of this world!

Happy an Nice

Finished Watchmen (Alan Moore) and Small Gods (Pratchett) currently reading a host of shared governance articles for work. *groan*
Suppose the neutral angels were able to talk Yahweh and Lucifer- God and Satan, into settling out of court. Specifically, how would they divide the assets of their earthly kingdom? Would God be satisfied to take loaves and fishes .. allowing Satan the red-eye gravy, eighteen ounce New York steak, and buckets of chilled champagne? Would God really accept twice-a-month lovemaking for procreative purposes and give Satan the all-night, no-holds-barred, nasty "can't-get-enough-of-you," hot as hell fucks? Well? Would he?

SubmissiveDominance

Also reading Watchmen (Rorschach=God) and The Punisher: War Journals. Gotta love Frank Castle. On the word books front, I'm re-reading Terry Brooks' Heritage of Shannara Book 1.
Will you wrap your arms around me?/
As I'm falling

AFI-"The Boy Who Destroyed the World"

Story Ideas

Grim

Judging by what your reading now Submissivedomance, you should pick up a new comic book series called Incognito.  Its fairly new, on the 3rd or 4th issue, but its fantastic.  Basically the set up is a super human who's in the witness protection.  Great fun and most of all dark,reads.
You will try.  You will fail.  You'll do so often. But that's half the fun.

O/O

adventurer

"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

Lady Annabelle

Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn

It's the first book of a triology that I bought by her and I am really enjoying it so far.  I am about halfway through it and it has a nice mixture of romance, magic, intrigue and some traditional values/arranged marriages.  Also, I love the royalty essence and the power that the characters bring forth with each action.

A bit old, but good.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Black Shuck

Ain't no ambulances for no nigguhs tonight - by Stanley Crouch

"John's words were the words
Bird and the other wing-ed creatures
sang:
      How the darkness could
      and would someday
      sink behind the sun,
      how we, when we grew
      to ourselves, past what we were,
      how we would dance outside
      bucking the eyes of all stars and all light
      how we would be as gentle
      as the rebuilt wings of a broken sparrow,
      how we would lick back the rain
      and wash ourselves with light
      and our eyes would meet His
      our God, our Om, our Allah, our Brahman.
      And, we like all oceans,
      would know
      and love each other.
      Salaam."

-After the Rain

Pretty rad beat emerging from behind the words of an L.A. Jazz artist known for punching out critics at the same time as he denounced gangsta rap for degrading women and promoting violence.

Lady Annabelle

My Makai Kingdom Strategy Guide!  *Giggles*
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Paradox

I'm alternating between two titles. One is an epic fantasy saga of which I've long heard but only just now gotten around to picking up; the other is a non-fiction piece on economics. It's actually quite interesting.

The Elric Saga: Part I (Elric of Melnibone, The Sailor on the Seas of Fate, The Weird of the White Wolf) by Michael Moorcock

More Sex Is Safer Sex: The Unconventional Wisdom of Economics by Steven E. Landsburg

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Lady Annabelle

Quote from: Lady Annabelle on June 30, 2009, 11:53:21 AM
Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn

It's the first book of a triology that I bought by her and I am really enjoying it so far.  I am about halfway through it and it has a nice mixture of romance, magic, intrigue and some traditional values/arranged marriages.  Also, I love the royalty essence and the power that the characters bring forth with each action.

A bit old, but good.

I just finished this book tonight.  It was pretty good even though I was a bit saddened by the later events of the book, but maybe that is what made it so good...

Unfortunately, the 'triology' that I bought was not true.  I bought the first book of her first triology and the final two books of her second triology.  *Grumbles*  Very annoying.

I am now reading "Jung's Psychology And It's Social Meaning" by Ira Progoff.  This is the first non-fiction book I have read since I graduated college, so this should be interesting.  I love Psychology(my major) and I think this book will spark my desire for it once again.

Beguile's Mistress

Running Hot - Jayne Ann Krentz
Vision in White - Nora Roberts
The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Bear of Stoneshoreland - TJ Lazier

National Acrobat

Jefferson the President His first Term-Dumas Malone

Elohim

Foucault,  Truth and Method.

Autumn52

Tuckers Claim by Sarah McCarthy

Great read
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Paradox

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Tagan

"The Mysterious Affair at Styles" by Agatha Christie

Adonis

The Gathering Storm - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

Talia

Diary Of A S&M Romance  - Michael W. Dean
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Golguy

La Lacuna by Barara Kingsolver

Autumn52

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Mjoellnir

War and Peace. Been ages since the last time and had almost forgotten how good it is.

Lucinda

Its not what you think by Chris Evans. Suprisingly fab :-)
"She distrusted a moon like that. A full moon could only wane, a new moon could only wax, but a half moon, balancing so precariously between light and dark ... well, it could do anything..."

*Luci's Ons and Offs Post*

*Luci's Apologies and Absences Post*

Senti

The Wind in the Willows with my son, ‘Poop Poop’.

A beginner’s guide to changing the world, by Isabel Losada.

Also The Victorian Underground (For an RP I run)

Also Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

And as always some random poetry/ as well as Princess stories with the small one.

Just as a question, who has read Hero with a thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell and if so did you find it helped with your own writing of stories.

Pumpkin Seeds

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

Not a bad read.

Wong's Nursing Care of Infants and Children - Editors Hockenberry and Wilson

A very bad read.