What are you reading?

Started by Paradox, November 25, 2008, 09:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

In the time-honored Elliquian tradition of such threads as What are you wearing?, What are you drinking?, What's cooking?, and What's the Frequency, Kenneth?, I bring you the latest thread: "What are you reading?"

Books, newspaper articles, online articles, blogs, posts on Elliquiy, even lyrics; all are fair game. If possible, please attempt to include a link.

Currently Reading:

Los Cinco Lenguajes Del Amor (The Spanish version of "The Five Love Languages", by Gary Chapman)

and

Carrion Comfort, by Dan Simmons

My future mother-in-law loaned me the English version of the first book. It's surprisingly insightful, so I picked up the Spanish version to practice my Español.
The second book is a deep, powerful 900 page novel full of suspense, horror, mystery and amazingly intricate plotlines.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Lilias

This seems much more in place here than in the general literary discussion.

So, lessee... Reading my NaNo abomination (I try not to look too far back), games and blog posts, mine and others' (trying to draw traffic to my latest blogging gig), and slowly plodding through The Healing Handbook and Sourcery.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Paradox

Oh, I wasn't aware that we already had a "What Are You Reading?" thread.

Well..damn.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Caity

Wifey -- Judy Blume

Off to do that now. 

Ket

Lucinda's Web by Dorothy Morrison
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

adventurer

"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

Paradox

Great choice! I pick up an issue every few months.

Now- An article about the ovens used in Nazi death camps.

adventurer

In addition to it:

www.edge.org
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

Happy an Nice

Quote from: Paradox on November 25, 2008, 09:18:35 AM
In the time-honored Elliquian tradition of such threads as What are you wearing?, What are you drinking?, What's cooking?, and What's the Frequency, Kenneth?, I bring you the latest thread: "What are you reading?"

Books, newspaper articles, online articles, blogs, posts on Elliquiy, even lyrics; all are fair game. If possible, please attempt to include a link.

Currently Reading:

Los Cinco Lenguajes Del Amor (The Spanish version of "The Five Love Languages", by Gary Chapman)

and

Carrion Comfort, by Dan Simmons

My future mother-in-law loaned me the English version of the first book. It's surprisingly insightful, so I picked up the Spanish version to practice my Español.
The second book is a deep, powerful 900 page novel full of suspense, horror, mystery and amazingly intricate plotlines.

Interesting...my ex-MIL (at the time also my future MiL)  had given me The Language of Love (1988, revised 1992) by Gary Smalley in Spanish quite a few years ago. I think it contained some similar themes.

Good luck with that. It didn't help me but...you're a better man than I. *smiles*
Suppose the neutral angels were able to talk Yahweh and Lucifer- God and Satan, into settling out of court. Specifically, how would they divide the assets of their earthly kingdom? Would God be satisfied to take loaves and fishes .. allowing Satan the red-eye gravy, eighteen ounce New York steak, and buckets of chilled champagne? Would God really accept twice-a-month lovemaking for procreative purposes and give Satan the all-night, no-holds-barred, nasty "can't-get-enough-of-you," hot as hell fucks? Well? Would he?

Paradox

Quote from: Happy an Nice on November 27, 2008, 11:20:33 PM
Good luck with that. It didn't help me but...you're a better man than I. *smiles*

You know...that may have something to do with the fact that you aren't a man to begin with  ;)

I haven't read the book by Señor Smalley, so I'll go look it up!

Solaine

Illustrated Guide to The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
“Not the glittering weapon fights the fight, but rather the hero's heart.” ~ Proverb
~Currently not available for new games.~

Happy an Nice

Still haven't finished Fragile Things

If you click on the green cover....a Study In Emerald, you can listen to the author read the short story in his own voice. I enjoy listening to him read.
Suppose the neutral angels were able to talk Yahweh and Lucifer- God and Satan, into settling out of court. Specifically, how would they divide the assets of their earthly kingdom? Would God be satisfied to take loaves and fishes .. allowing Satan the red-eye gravy, eighteen ounce New York steak, and buckets of chilled champagne? Would God really accept twice-a-month lovemaking for procreative purposes and give Satan the all-night, no-holds-barred, nasty "can't-get-enough-of-you," hot as hell fucks? Well? Would he?

MistressofPen

Ooooh.  A place I can actually respond!

I'm reading Chalice by Robin McKinley http://www.robinmckinley.com/

I've also been reading about the positioning of Venus and Jupiter with our moon on Monday; guess it will be an interesting arrangement.  I've noticed the two planets almost stacked and so very, very bright even before full dark. http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20081128/sc_space/spectacularskyscenemondayevening

And, now I'm bookless; any recommendations?  I'm re-reading Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer.  Such a fun romp.

Cecilia

"My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead". Edited by Jeffrey Eugenides.  It's a compilation of "love stories" from  Chekov to Munro.   

Happy an Nice

Possibly adding...."God, a biography" as it came from Amazon today, although why, I can't say. *searches memory and comes up blank*

After opening the book and leafing through it a bit, *goes off to read but still has an attitude about it"

Caity

Duchess

raintree - sanctuary

beverly barton

adventurer

Arianna Huffington:

Picasso Bio
(Plato)

sodi rivka

The Assassin's Touch by Laura Joh Rowland

adventurer

Upping the Downside -63 Strategies for Creating Professional Resilience by Design

by Mike Jay and Co-Authors
(Plato)

Happy an Nice

IKEA product assembly instructions. ~Merry-impending-Christmas!

Dawg

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

For the 10th time
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Lilias

Tatler's School Guide 2009 (four years early, and we can't afford a prep school, but a mother can dream)
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Caity

I just read:

Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas -- James Patterson

Great tear jerker.  :P

adventurer

Thick Face Black Heart

by Chin-Ning Chu
(Plato)

adventurer

The 8th Habit. From Effectiveness to Greatness -by Stephen Covey

Its about building trust as one of the most precious currencies right now on planet!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_8th_Habit:_From_Effectiveness_to_Greatness
(Plato)

Lilias

A Nouvel Observateur special edition dedicated to Harry Potter.
~Wendell Berry

adventurer

Vanity Fair Report about Carla Bruni
(Plato)

Duchess

Marguerite

The Mark of the Vampire Queen by Joey W. Hill
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

adventurer

The end of sexual identity

by Stacey d`Erasmo
(Plato)

Lilias

Art Nouveau, by Camilla de la Bedoyere.
~Wendell Berry

Paradox

Numerous PowerPoint presentations about Biology to study for tomorrow's final.

Duchess

just finished

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

and reading

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

Kitonet

~*~ New avvie coming soon ~*~
Muse is on hiatus!

HairyHeretic

Just finished "Cains Last Stand", the latest Commissar Blackadder book, and volumes 3-7 of Nikolai Dante. Currently about halfway through "A Lick of Frost", the latest Meredith Gentry one.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Paradox

Less than 200 pages away from the end of Carrion Comfort, which is quite a feat considering it's almost 900 pages. Even the 1000+ page Signet edition of The Stand seemed shorter than this. It must have something to do with the pacing.

Mordred

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield
*See Pillory*

Solaine

“Not the glittering weapon fights the fight, but rather the hero's heart.” ~ Proverb

Happy an Nice

Quote from: Paradox on December 14, 2008, 09:16:22 AM
Numerous PowerPoint presentations about Biology to study for tomorrow's final.

Oh I so could have helped you with that....*smiles*

Rant, by Chuck Palaniuk

Meet the Writer with Chuck Palaniuk

HairyHeretic

I just found this in one of my local bookshops

Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith 1)

QuoteIn the 25nd Century the British Space Empire faces the gathering menace of the evil ant-soldiers of the Ghast Empire hive, hell-bent on galactic domination and the extermination of all humanoid life. Isambard Smith is the square-jawed, courageous and somewhat asinine new commander of the clapped out and battle damaged light freighter John Pym, destined to take on the alien threat because nobody else is available. Together with his bold crew a skull collecting alien lunatic, an android pilot who is actually a fugitive sex toy and a hamster called Gerald he must collect new-age herbalist Rhianna Mitchell from the laid back New Francisco orbiter and bring her back to safety in the Empire. Straightforward enough except the Ghasts want her too. If he is to get back to Blighty alive, Smith must defeat void sharks, a universe-weary android assassin and John Gilead, psychopathic naval officer from the fanatically religious Republic of New Eden before facing his greatest enemy: a ruthless alien warlord with a very large behind...

I suspect it will either be very good or very bad. I will likely be amused either way.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Paradox

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 22, 2008, 12:48:45 PM
I just found this in one of my local bookshops

Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith 1)

I suspect it will either be very good or very bad. I will likely be amused either way.

I've heard good things about it, though many have said that it's a bit heavy on the innuendo.

Happy an Nice

Rain Taxi ~ Review of Books; Vol. 13, No. 4, Winter 2008 - 2009

Rain Taxi Current Issue

Forestshadow

The Shadow Rising, book four of the wheel of time by Robert Jordan

Cecilia

"Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein

Mordred

A Feast For Crows - George R R Martin
*See Pillory*

Kangaroo

A Feather on The Breath of God
~Sigrid Nunez
People who bite the hand that feeds them, usually lick the boot that kicks them. ~Eric Hoffer

"There is a crack, a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in."   ~ Leonard Cohen

Bliss

The Big Book of Grimm
By Jonathan Vankin

Synopsis from bn.com:

The Big Book of Grimm presents more than fifty folk tales collected by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm in ways you’ve never seen them before: uncensored, unflinching, and unsuitable for the faint of heart.

Rendered in gruesome glory by some of today’s top graphic and comic artists, these stories present a vision of the world as the Brothers Grimm saw it: dark, dangerous, and full of foreboding. There are predators behind every tree, wolves in grandmas’s clothing, and woodland creatures lying in wait for the unwary. There’s no home without negligent parents or a scheming stepmother, no marriage that isn’t rancid with lies and deceit, and no byway or backroad that doesn’t lead directly to a nasty gnome, leering dwarf, or wicked witch hungry for human flesh. Every gift comes with a heavy price, and no stranger is to be trusted. The poor suffer their share of humiliations and tragedies, but even Prince Charming can’t be sure that he’ll live happily ever after.

Originally intended as cautionary tales to warn youngsters of the wicked ways of the world and to keep them to the straight and narrow, these stories are brim full of treachery, torment, and terror. Prepare yourself for bedtime stories that are sure to keep you up all night. Fairy tales don’t come Grimmer than these.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Malrunar

I highly recommend this book, if you've yet to read it :) It's by far my favorite, and since I picked it up when it first came out a few years ago: I've yet to be able to set it down for long. It's a series that's just getting into the works. The second book just went to paperback, and the third is expected sometime in Febuary. You'll thank me for this later. ;)

The Thorn of Camorr is said to be an unbeatable swordsman, a master thief, a ghost that walks through walls. Half the city believes him to be a legendary champion of the poor. The other half believe him to be a foolish myth. Nobody has it quite right.

Slightly built, unlucky in love, and barely competent with a sword, Locke Lamora is, much to his annoyance, the fabled Thorn. He certainly didn't invite the rumors that swirl around his exploits, which are actually confidence games of the most intricate sort. And while Locke does indeed steal from the rich (who else, pray tell, would be worth stealing from?), the poor never see a penny of it. All of Locke's gains are strictly for himself and his tight-knit band of thieves, the Gentlemen Bastards.

Locke and company are con artists in an age where con artistry, as we understand it, is a new and unknown style of crime. The less attention anyone pays to them, the better! But a deadly mystery has begun to haunt the ancient city of Camorr, and a clandestine war is threatening to tear the city's underworld, the only home the Gentlemen Bastards have ever known, to bloody shreds. Caught up in a murderous game, Locke and his friends will find both their loyalty and their ingenuity tested to the breaking point as they struggle to stay alive...

Lovebug

Uncle by J.P. Martin

Back in print courtesy of the New York Review of Books. Beyond any shadow of a doubt, the finest and funniest psychological study of a pompous but kind-hearted billionaire elephant in the history of English literature.

Thufir Hawat

I'm reading Dune, again :D .
Not quite surprising, given my current screen name, is it?
Well, it is a good read ;) !
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

ParisaEnyaSantika

I'm currently reading Joanne Fluke's Candy Cane Murder.

The books are part of a series of murder mysteries that take place in a small town. There are also recipes from "The Cookie Jar" the main characters bakery featured in each book. I recommend this series to anyone who loves mysteries or just some good deserts.    
Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads ~H.D. Throeau

on/off

Belladonna

Currently, I am indulging in several tales featured throughout Heidi’s Bedtime Stories - Erotic Quickies for Men and Women.

Victor LaCroix

Sherrilyn Kenyon ~ 'Dark side of the Moon'
part of the Dark Hunter series
A taste is Simply Divine

Lovebug

The Classical World by Robin Lane Fox

adventurer

(Plato)

Blaze

Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett

Remember when it rained.
I felt the ground and looked up high
And called your name.
Ohhhhhh Remember when it rained.
In the darkness I remain.

ONS/OFFS

Cecilia

"Geography of Bliss". Eric Weiner

Aleksandr

Just finished Watchmen for the first time... woah. XD
Insert witticism. But before I do that, I gotta throw up my Ons and Offs, right? Let's see if I can find them... AHA. Got'em.

Marguerite

The New Adventures of Giacamo Casanova by Maxim Jakubowski

Cutter

I am the Dark Unspoken that dwells within, weighted by the chains of your preconceptions. Release me and I shall release you.

My On's and Off's :

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13915.0

Happy an Nice

Quote from: Carth on January 20, 2009, 08:20:05 PM
Just finished Watchmen for the first time... woah. XD

That's next up for me. I was given it as a gift and everyone says the same thing you did about it. I can't wait to begin.

Right now I'm reading Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Book 1.

Paradox

Quote from: Happy an Nice on January 31, 2009, 07:30:17 PM
Right now I'm reading Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Book 1.

Excellent choice; I've read up to volume 4.

Le RandomBloke

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

Lilias

The Red Dahlia by Lynda LaPlante
~Wendell Berry

Malrunar

"I, Vampire" by Michael Romkey

Highly recommended. It was writen back in 1990 before the now popular tween-twist of vampires hit. :)

Paradox

Quote from: ShadesOfGray on February 03, 2009, 10:27:02 PM
"I, Vampire" by Michael Romkey

Highly recommended. It was writen back in 1990 before the now popular tween-twist of vampires hit. :)

For anyone who remembers Ravenloft, you should check out I, Strahd. The title is a blatant rip-off of the aforementioned book, but it's still pretty good reading. At least it was four or five years ago when I read it.

Solaine

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Mordred

Quote from: Chatoyant Silk on February 14, 2009, 08:16:01 PM
The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Ooooohhhh... You have quite an awesome path before you. LOVED that and the next few to follow!

Daemon - Daniel Suarez... (trying to... :( haven't finished an entire book or even half... for about 2 years)
*See Pillory*

Solaine

Quote from: Cynical on February 14, 2009, 08:24:44 PM
Ooooohhhh... You have quite an awesome path before you. LOVED that and the next few to follow!

Daemon - Daniel Suarez... (trying to... :( haven't finished an entire book or even half... for about 2 years)

Awwww *hugs and kisses you comfortingly*  I'm in the same boat... I am a sloooow reader

Happy an Nice

Older And Wiser

The Elegant Universe:   Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory  by Brian Greene

and

A World Undone:  The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918 by GJ Meyer

Cecilia

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter...Carson McCuller

Yomamaween

Breaking Dawn- Stephanie Meyer.

Good "chapter before bed"  books. Considering the 'cliffhangers' don't have a 90 foot drop...I've fallen asleep laying on my phone (YEY e-books) and being unable to finish a chapter

saturnschild

Ai No Kusabi by Reiko Yoshihara

Have been looking for these 4 books ever since I have seen the OVA. Right now just starting book 2.
The greatest thing you can ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.-Moulin Rouge
In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living.- Walking Dead
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him. - Johnny Cash

Ons and Offs saturn

lexxusbabe

Just started No Logo by Naomi Klein (been looking for it ever since Radiohead recommended it, and finally found it in a charity shop). Powerful stuff. Makes you feel so angry at the Nikes of this world!

Happy an Nice

Finished Watchmen (Alan Moore) and Small Gods (Pratchett) currently reading a host of shared governance articles for work. *groan*

SubmissiveDominance

Also reading Watchmen (Rorschach=God) and The Punisher: War Journals. Gotta love Frank Castle. On the word books front, I'm re-reading Terry Brooks' Heritage of Shannara Book 1.
Will you wrap your arms around me?/
As I'm falling

AFI-"The Boy Who Destroyed the World"

Story Ideas

Grim

Judging by what your reading now Submissivedomance, you should pick up a new comic book series called Incognito.  Its fairly new, on the 3rd or 4th issue, but its fantastic.  Basically the set up is a super human who's in the witness protection.  Great fun and most of all dark,reads.
You will try.  You will fail.  You'll do so often. But that's half the fun.

O/O

adventurer

(Plato)

Lady Annabelle

Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn

It's the first book of a triology that I bought by her and I am really enjoying it so far.  I am about halfway through it and it has a nice mixture of romance, magic, intrigue and some traditional values/arranged marriages.  Also, I love the royalty essence and the power that the characters bring forth with each action.

A bit old, but good.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Black Shuck

Ain't no ambulances for no nigguhs tonight - by Stanley Crouch

"John's words were the words
Bird and the other wing-ed creatures
sang:
      How the darkness could
      and would someday
      sink behind the sun,
      how we, when we grew
      to ourselves, past what we were,
      how we would dance outside
      bucking the eyes of all stars and all light
      how we would be as gentle
      as the rebuilt wings of a broken sparrow,
      how we would lick back the rain
      and wash ourselves with light
      and our eyes would meet His
      our God, our Om, our Allah, our Brahman.
      And, we like all oceans,
      would know
      and love each other.
      Salaam."

-After the Rain

Pretty rad beat emerging from behind the words of an L.A. Jazz artist known for punching out critics at the same time as he denounced gangsta rap for degrading women and promoting violence.

Lady Annabelle

My Makai Kingdom Strategy Guide!  *Giggles*
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Paradox

I'm alternating between two titles. One is an epic fantasy saga of which I've long heard but only just now gotten around to picking up; the other is a non-fiction piece on economics. It's actually quite interesting.

The Elric Saga: Part I (Elric of Melnibone, The Sailor on the Seas of Fate, The Weird of the White Wolf) by Michael Moorcock

More Sex Is Safer Sex: The Unconventional Wisdom of Economics by Steven E. Landsburg

Lady Annabelle

Quote from: Lady Annabelle on June 30, 2009, 11:53:21 AM
Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn

It's the first book of a triology that I bought by her and I am really enjoying it so far.  I am about halfway through it and it has a nice mixture of romance, magic, intrigue and some traditional values/arranged marriages.  Also, I love the royalty essence and the power that the characters bring forth with each action.

A bit old, but good.

I just finished this book tonight.  It was pretty good even though I was a bit saddened by the later events of the book, but maybe that is what made it so good...

Unfortunately, the 'triology' that I bought was not true.  I bought the first book of her first triology and the final two books of her second triology.  *Grumbles*  Very annoying.

I am now reading "Jung's Psychology And It's Social Meaning" by Ira Progoff.  This is the first non-fiction book I have read since I graduated college, so this should be interesting.  I love Psychology(my major) and I think this book will spark my desire for it once again.

Beguile's Mistress

Running Hot - Jayne Ann Krentz
Vision in White - Nora Roberts
The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Bear of Stoneshoreland - TJ Lazier

National Acrobat

Jefferson the President His first Term-Dumas Malone

Elohim

Foucault,  Truth and Method.

Autumn52

Tuckers Claim by Sarah McCarthy

Great read
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Paradox

Tagan

"The Mysterious Affair at Styles" by Agatha Christie

Adonis

The Gathering Storm - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

Talia

Diary Of A S&M Romance  - Michael W. Dean
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Golguy

La Lacuna by Barara Kingsolver

Autumn52

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

Mjoellnir

War and Peace. Been ages since the last time and had almost forgotten how good it is.

Lucinda

Its not what you think by Chris Evans. Suprisingly fab :-)
"She distrusted a moon like that. A full moon could only wane, a new moon could only wax, but a half moon, balancing so precariously between light and dark ... well, it could do anything..."

*Luci's Ons and Offs Post*

*Luci's Apologies and Absences Post*

Senti

The Wind in the Willows with my son, ‘Poop Poop’.

A beginner’s guide to changing the world, by Isabel Losada.

Also The Victorian Underground (For an RP I run)

Also Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

And as always some random poetry/ as well as Princess stories with the small one.

Just as a question, who has read Hero with a thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell and if so did you find it helped with your own writing of stories.

Pumpkin Seeds

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

Not a bad read.

Wong's Nursing Care of Infants and Children - Editors Hockenberry and Wilson

A very bad read.

Artema

Erich Fromm - The Art of loving.
Has been planning and anticipating this book for a long time. Have to read it for my thesis, but also coming here to elliquiy seems as good as any to start it.

Artema

Paradox

Cecilia

Ghagiel

Cory Doctorow - Makers

Great kind of sci-fi novel set about twenty years in the future. It's mostly to do with capitalism and how the market will change to reflect the growth and obsoletion of technology. Pretty nifty. Available online!

Nico

I am still reading 'Slave Boy' by Evangeline Anderson.

Autumn52

I have been reading all the wonderful stories in the Storytellers Cafe'

We have some very talented people in our community.

Marguerite

I am reading the 'Pleasure Slave' by Gena Showalter.

Merry Gentry

Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison
“And I’d give up forever to touch you, cause I know that you feel me somehow. You’re the closest to heaven that I’ll ever be and I don’t wanna go home right now.”

TheLovelyMaid

The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson.

GeekFury

Almost half way through God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert.

Paradox

Quote from: GeekFury on April 22, 2010, 06:03:09 PM
Almost half way through God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert.

How is it? I've only ever read the original novel and am interested in picking up the others.

GeekFury

Dune, amazing. Dune Messiah, great. Children of Dune, really good. God Emperor of Dune, not to bad, but not as good as the previous three.

Mendtos

Crime and Punishment

The Book Thief

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Autumn52

Lover Avenged......it is hot and good.....

Lucinda

Just finished Changes by Jim Butcher. Not his best but still really good. Now i'm onto The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan. Really liked his sci fi stuff but having trouble getting into this so far.
"She distrusted a moon like that. A full moon could only wane, a new moon could only wax, but a half moon, balancing so precariously between light and dark ... well, it could do anything..."

heavenleighdahl

I am reading The Plantation: Chris Kuznetsky Very scary and all around gory. Wonderful.

CynfulTragedy

Currently reading:

Neil Gaiman - Smoke and Mirrors (for the third time)
The Egyptian Book of the Dead (a lot of studying and translating and taking notes...the historian in me hard at work)

James Macleod

Galanthor

Michelle

stories a few friends sent me they are really good
~There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy. Her heart.~

Ways to my Heart and How to Shatter It.

Shadowsteel

The Dresden Files, Small Favor
Sworn to the Oath of Drake

Shadowsteel's theory on the transitive property of handcuffs - through association, especially by physical contact such as hug-piles - legitimate reason is given if you have reasonable reason to apply handcuffs to one particpant, you have reason (excuse) to apply handcuffs to all of them.

OOC's Beware! Because really, when is it not
an acceptable time for handcuffs?

Daimon de Broken Hearted

Starwars Luke and the Shadows of Mindor.

Heart Owned By None, It is a broken shell of what once was. Its Light died.

I have some things going on right now with health, I am sorry replies come slow.
Love is a circle of Trust and Caring, all into both becoming One, in Completion. This is like a Ring, or a Collar.
Daimon's On's & Off's
Daimon's A/A

Crythan

Reading 'Angeltology'.  It's a best seller.

Paradox

Beloved- Toni Morrison

It's a bitch of a book, but it's also really good.

thirteenhearts

Jabberwookie

Magic Ship by Robin Hobb. I need to put it down and study for midterms.

Samael

John Sinclair - Geisterjäger. Pretty trashy horror novels about a guy and his partner, working for Scotland Yard's supernatural bureau. So bad and yet oh so very entertaining.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Paradox

Quote from: Jabberwookie on May 12, 2010, 10:07:27 PM
Magic Ship by Robin Hobb. I need to put it down and study for midterms.

Dude! Did you read the Farseer trilogy before that? If not, I highly recommend you do so. Magic Ship is actually the 4th book in a 9-book series, all of which I fucking love.

Lucinda

Halfway to hollywood by Michael Palin

Autumn52

The glass house....again....

James Macleod

I would like to read the Art of War, or the book of 5 rings but every That I tried to check it out from the media
center, they keep telling me that it is 'Missing"  Which means that it was Stolen, and the media center will not
Get the books back..  Why would People steal form a media center aka a library for that matter?

Merry Gentry

just finished the zoey redbird book, Marked.. it was cute.. took like 2 days to read
“And I’d give up forever to touch you, cause I know that you feel me somehow. You’re the closest to heaven that I’ll ever be and I don’t wanna go home right now.”

Gideon

I'm currently reading "A Perfect Hell" and the "The Rangers in WWII" both are really good books about WWII special forces units.

Lucinda

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Merry Gentry

oh Luci! I want to read that.. you have to tell me if it's any good! ;)

I've finally started to read Kushiels Dart.. only about 100 pages in, but enjoyable so far

Damnedangel

I just finished Marley & Me by John Grogen. I'm now starting Lord Loss by Darren Shan
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum - If You Seek Peace Prepare For War.
We all have multiple personalities. The Average is three, but some people have more.
There's the face you wear for your friends and family, the one you let the outside world see.
Then there's the face you see everytime you look in the mirror.

Polymorph

Wenches, Witches and Strumpets - Aishling Morgan.

peteythegreat

Russia in the age of Peter the Great - Lindsey Hughes

This is where you realise that my name probably isn't actually Petey...

Lucinda

Broken Angels by Richard Morgan.

Lucinda

Just starting Wicked by Gregory Maguire.