News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

14 year olds are Sex offenders?!

Started by Transgirlenstein, October 20, 2009, 01:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morven

I pretty much agree with you too, Kotah. 
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Valerian

I'm no expert in this, but I believe (and hope!) that law enforcement agencies would have all the details of a particular crime at their fingertips, unlike the very brief summaries available to the public.  So, to use the missing child example, the police would probably first narrow down all the local registered sex offenders by specific crime, and wouldn't bother investigating anyone who's on that list from an indiscretion committed at seventeen with a significant other.  Hopefully.

I personally don't have a better idea than the list.  I wish I did.  But, I was looking around (because for some reason I love doing net searches) and found some interesting statistics from the FBI Crime Victimization Survey*.  About 23% of (reported) sex crimes are against children under eighteen.  Of those crimes, about 40% are committed by someone also under the age of eighteen.  In other words, that's about nine percent of the total of all reported sex crimes.  Most of that 9% is consensual sex between teens; the rest is primarily older children abusing or otherwise attacking younger relatives or friends.

I'm not arguing that 8-9% is an acceptable amount of collateral damage -- far from it.  But I'm not sure how much improvement is really possible, given the current framework.

Rewriting the existing laws to allow for "Romeo and Juliet" clauses in all states, adding more specifics as to the behaviours covered by the laws, and perhaps getting a little more general agreement among the different states, would certainly help.  But the current application of the laws, however poorly written some of them are, doesn't seem to be hopelessly bad.  We hear a lot about these unfair cases precisely because they're unusual.

*http://www.ipce.info/newsletters/e_22/2_1_myths_and_facts.htm
The above is a summary article; the actual (very large and complex) survey is here.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Morven

Quote from: AllHallowsVal on October 22, 2009, 11:23:41 AM
We hear a lot about these unfair cases precisely because they're unusual.

I certainly hope that's the case.

One observation I have is that we're frequently in the situation where many of the laws on the books are, frankly, ancient, and as much concerned with teenagers-as-property and ensuring a girl is saved for marriage than with modern ideas of right and wrong.  Politicians generally don't want to touch it for fear that something nasty will stick to them, that their enemies would find some nice little inaccurate thing to hang on them out of context.

Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Satnslillgrl

I would like to point out that the whole justice system is completely fucked. I've been screwed over by it enough times to know.

But, pertaining to this topic, I do NOT believe the sex offender list should be public to everyone. Why should they continue to pay for their crimes after the justice system releases them if no other criminals have to? Because it's more likely they'll repeat? Maybe if they weren't continually reminded of it, they'd be less likely to "get the urge" to repeat. As has been stated, murderers don't have to be publicly known, arsonists don't have to be publicly known. I do not consider raping someone worse then murder. If there is going to be a list for one, there should be one for all of them. And before I get jumped on about that, I was raped by two men when I was 4. And yes, I remember most of it, not that I think that matters. But, I grew up, I got over it, and, while I may have a couple subtle lingering side effects still, I am a healthy, physically and mentally, adult who carries on with my life like any other normal person. And you know what happened to those two men? Nothing. The same system that will label other children as offenders because they do what is natural did nothing to two men who raped a four year old child. Shows how effective the system is. Granted, that was years ago, but all the same.

I believe people who harm children should be executed. Child abusers, child rapists, all of them. I cannot think of a SINGLE case where a child has deserved being abused. They aren't mature enough to be able to do anything to warrant it. But, I believe that only applies if the child is being harmed.

Two teenagers having sex doesn't hurt anyone. If the girl gets knocked up, things would be more complicated, but it isn't impossible to still have a successful and normal life after having a teenage pregnancy. I have a cousin who is 16 (she'll be 17 soon) who has three children. She's still finishing high school. A baby does not mean your life has to end.

The problem with the whole statutory rape system, in my opinion, is that they draw a definite line instead of taking things case by case. Is a physically and mentally mature 13 year old having sex with a 19 year old worse then a, let's say, mentally challenged 19 year old being tricked into doing something they didn't fully understand?

I don't think so. I think these laws are strictly to appease the population of this backwards ass country who are convinced that anything sexual is evil. That article had me shaking, I was so angry.

Oh, and as a side-note, how many people have actually specifically asked every single person they've ever done anything sexual with how old they were? I know I've gotten drunk and not been that picky about details before.
Believe me, believe me. I can't tell you why.
But I'm trapped by your love and I'm chained to your side.
O/OA/A  UPDATED 1/3 <<--READ ME!!

All Powerful Nateboi

To be fair on the statutory rape thing, they kind of *have* to. The *idea* is that when a case goes to trial, the judge can look at the situation and then decide if it's *really* a problem. Or, before that, the cops can decide.

But because we have a culture were people are fucking crazy with things that involve sex, that doesn't happen, and then we have prosecutors who want to try to punish little shit to the fullest extent of the law because it helps them score points.

That's my real problem with the sex offenders list. The *concept* is fine. But it has become a way to create second class citizens. It has become a way to abuse human beings to score political points. And it's really hard to undo, because no politician in their right mind is going to argue for better civil rights for kiddie diddlers (even if they're *actually* arguing for no longer putting people on the list for things that aren't harmful. But no one hears "Let's stop putting people on the sex offender's list for things like pissing in public while drunk", and instead hears "HE WANTS TO PROTECT CHILD MOLESTORS!")

How would I change it? I would argue for more judicious use. For starters, doing something sexual within X-Hundred yards of a place where kids might be needs to stop being listable (just because you fucked in public and a school happened to be three blocks away, you shouldn't be on the list). We need to make sure the only things that are listable are things that are done with active intent.

It also needs to stop being a way to punish after punishment is through. There should be laws for how long you stay on the list, just like for how long you're in prison (or on probation, or whatever). You go X number of years without re-commiting, you get your name taken off (or taken off the "Rights being restricted" part, and left only on a list available to police for quick checking in the event of a similar crime).

It also needs to stop being available to the public. Why? Because the public, as a whole, is stupid (I'm reminded of an article I don't have the desire to look up at the moment of a situation in the UK where a paediatrician got her house attacked by an angry mob who'd mistaken paediatrician for paedophile. I'm sure if you're interested, you can find it in the BBC archives). And while it might be helpful in some cases for someone to know that their landlord raped three underage girls (There's an age of majority for rape, and waiting until that age makes rape better? :P) but if the justice system has decided that someone is fit to live amongst society, then they're fit to live amongst society. They don't need to then be social pariahs, because that probably won't make anything better. I'm willing to hear arguments on the "being available to the public" part, but it seems to me that that part causes as much harm and it fixes.

Morven

Quote from: All Powerful Nateboi on October 22, 2009, 03:14:02 PM
It also needs to stop being available to the public. Why? Because the public, as a whole, is stupid (I'm reminded of an article I don't have the desire to look up at the moment of a situation in the UK where a paediatrician got her house attacked by an angry mob who'd mistaken paediatrician for paedophile. I'm sure if you're interested, you can find it in the BBC archives).

Yes, that happened.  It sounds like a stupid made-up story, but it really happened.

Quote from: All Powerful Nateboi on October 22, 2009, 03:14:02 PM
(There's an age of majority for rape, and waiting until that age makes rape better? :P)

I think that's rather insensitive of you, Nate.  And yes, in my opinion raping a child is worse than raping an adult, if we have to classify horrible crimes in order.  An adult is emotionally stronger, more experienced with life, and is in general much better equipped to deal with a horrific assault than a child is.

All Powerful Nateboi

Quote from: Morven on October 22, 2009, 05:07:57 PM
Yes, that happened.  It sounds like a stupid made-up story, but it really happened.

I think that's rather insensitive of you, Nate.  And yes, in my opinion raping a child is worse than raping an adult, if we have to classify horrible crimes in order.  An adult is emotionally stronger, more experienced with life, and is in general much better equipped to deal with a horrific assault than a child is.

Apologies. Sometimes an attempt at dark humor just winds up making one look like an ass, and apparently I didn't manage to pull off that subtle line. My intent was not to offend.

And I pretty much do agree with you. I mean, not to play misery poker or anything, because rape is bad, mmkay?, but yeah. I think your'e probably right on this (barring any sources from people who have much more education on psychology than I do, of course.)

Kotah

I mentioned the story as an example that not everyone that uses the sex offender list is a wacko loon trying to beat up on the poor pedophile.

o.o

I'm just going to step out.
Finally in a rage we scream at the top of our lungs into this lonely night, begging and pleading they stop sucking up dry.There as guilty as sin, still as they always do when faced with an angry mob: they wipe the blood from their mouths and calm us down with their words of milk and honey. So the play begins, we the once angry mob are now pacified and sit quietly entertained. But the curtain exists far from now becasue their lies have been spoken. My dear, have you forgotten what comes next? This is the part where we change the world.

All Powerful Nateboi

Quote from: Kotah on October 22, 2009, 05:41:13 PM
I mentioned the story as an example that not everyone that uses the sex offender list is a wacko loon trying to beat up on the poor pedophile.

o.o

I'm just going to step out.

Oh, I understand. That's why if someone came to me and said "Nateboi, you get to write the federal law for the Sex Offender's list, and whatever you write will get implemented", I'd hear arguments on the "making it available to the public" thing. Because one of the original intents of the law was to let people know if they have a sex offender living nearby, and in some cases that can be a very useful thing to know. I'm just not sure it's helpfulness in that area outweighs the harm it causes, is all.

I wasn't trying to down on you, so much as your story was there to base points off of :P

Morven

Nate, your apologies here come across as more "I'm sorry you were offended", rather than "I shouldn't have been so flippant; I was wrong".   The non-apology apology, beloved of corporations.

I'm not necessarily meaning that you intended that, but you come across like that.  You appear as if you scarcely even noticed that Kotah felt she needed to leave after your saying that.  Or that you are dismissing it as a debating tactic.

Perhaps you have trouble picking up on cues like that, but others don't, and I hope you look back at what you wrote and see the problems with it.

All Powerful Nateboi

Quote from: Morven on October 22, 2009, 09:22:39 PM
Nate, your apologies here come across as more "I'm sorry you were offended", rather than "I shouldn't have been so flippant; I was wrong".   The non-apology apology, beloved of corporations.

I'm not necessarily meaning that you intended that, but you come across like that.  You appear as if you scarcely even noticed that Kotah felt she needed to leave after your saying that.  Or that you are dismissing it as a debating tactic.

Perhaps you have trouble picking up on cues like that, but others don't, and I hope you look back at what you wrote and see the problems with it.

THings don't come across too well online.

I was attempting to say tha tyes, I'm sorry my flippancy was there. As I said, dark humor and being an asshole is a fine line, and I didn't notice that line as I gleefully jumped over it in an attempt to find a little levity. It wasn't an attempt at a non-apology, it was specifically saying "My attempt to break some tension within my post mis-fired, and I should have found a better way to do it".

Oniya

Quote from: All Powerful Nateboi on October 23, 2009, 12:31:47 AM
THings don't come across too well online.

It's one of the problems inherent in the medium.  Even with emoticons, it's impossible to tell tone of voice, facial expression, and other such cues, so dry/dark humor and sarcasm tend to get misinterpreted.

It's something we should all keep in mind, especially in the Politics and Religion threads, due to the volatility of these topics.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cythieus

The sex offender list should differentiate between the types of offenses and the types of punishments. For kids put on there for peddling pictures of themselves online, it should be temporary, until they are of age at most. So that they can be monitored and not get someone else in jail.

The issue I have here is that children, people under the age of 16 shouldn't really be exploring sexuality past a certain point, and by doing so they put others of us at risk. If I go to a site, find an image of a girl and save it and she turns out to be under age, I can go to jail. Do I think people who take pictures like this and the people who put them up should be held accountable? Yes. Mostly because they put others at risk. I actually left another site because of an issue with someone offering pictures of their young sister up and I actually had to go to another site and get a number to report the person because they were 19 and asking people to do sexual things to nude pictures of their sister they would send out.

The blog has since been removed, but the person who did that should surely be in trouble and the little girl who they had pictures of should at least be checked into too.

I think the law needs to be shifted to hold the minor and their parents more accountable though, if I go to a college party or a night club and someone's kid's sneaked in with a fake ID they should hold them or the parents accountable (depending on how the state law goes). Calling the 14 year old a sex offender in the same vain as someone who does something more heinous is stupid, but there should be note made of kids who have posted explicit pictures of themselves and the like online kept to keep others from being in trouble.

As for the kids exploring their sexuality, much of the issue is that the age differences cause problems. I actually dated a 17 year old when I was 19, its legal here in Texas and she turned 18 before I was 20. But we have a two year law here. I think part of the problem is there has to be a line drawn somewhere, because of adulthood, contracts and the chance of pregnancy and other issues that can arise from sex. I do think the line should be 16 across the board, that law seems to work well enough in Canada and England.

Moonhare

This is a difficult situation. On one hand you have those that need to be locked up, and kept track of. Anyone that is old enough to know the laws, should have their names on that list for any sexual act without the consent of a partner, or where consent can't be given. This should be for any, regardless of age.

But there lies the problem. We educate our children young that killing each other is wrong, that stealing is wrong, but we shut up about what is right and wrong about sex, other than rape. The government places laws in place, but neither the schools, nor the parents are willing or able to teach young teens, due to many different religious, ethical, or what have you hangups about talking about sex with children that are physically able to break those laws.

The registry is there for a reason, and the reason is a valid one. There are loop holes, and it can and has been abused. But it would be better to force education at the proper age, then to change the laws that are in place at this time. It would be easier to teach not only anatomy, but the laws, local and federal, that are in place and the reasons behind it, than to change the laws that are there regardless of how ancient and out of date to current society.

I mean, you take a course in driving before you can get a license to drive due to the dangers of, why not sex education and corresponding laws? It shouldn't just be about anatomy, but the laws that are in place for protection. It would stop some of the problems of teens into adulthood with things that to them seem to have no consequences, by giving them the education they need. There would still be some that would do those things anyway, and then there should be punishment. But for those that don't know the laws, can you really say that they know the consequences of their actions? That they are knowingly doing something wrong?

My children are still young, but I plan on educating them on what I can as they begin to reach that age. My oldest is extremely shy, but even her doctor said that it is better to educate her about her body (ie. her body changes as she reaches puberty) before she reaches that time. I figure the same applies to sex, education, and laws. Teach them early. It doesn't make them promiscuous. I learned about sex early, way too early, but I didn't become active until I was 18, even with the opportunity. Once of age, I used protection until I was willing to deal with the consequences. I didn't because I knew the consequences. I wasn't willing to lose my freedom by getting knocked up, getting some disease, or making someone go to jail because I was jailbait. My mother made sure that I knew from her experiences, what were the consequences of being active early could mean. I didn't want to go through all that. I believe most would say the same.

Rhapsody

There are some who are certainly not sex offenders... and then there are sick fucks like this:

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_13644237?nclick_check=1

QuoteRichmond police have arrested a second suspect in connection with the two-hour gang rape of a semiconscious 15-year-old outside her homecoming dance at Richmond High, authorities said Monday night.

Police arrested and booked a 15-year-old student from Richmond High for felony sexual assault and are continuing to actively search for other suspects - both juveniles and adults - through the night, Detective Ken Greco said. The boy's name and grade level were not released.

The suspect was one of two students in custody for questioning early Monday evening, Greco said. Authorities have already arrested 19-year-old Manuel Ortega as he ran from the crime scene, police say.

Authorities said people took photos,
laughed and some joined in as the girl was repeatedly assaulted. The victim, a student, remained hospitalized Monday with injuries that were not life-threatening.

"She was raped, beaten, robbed and dehumanized by several suspects who were obviously OK enough with it to behave that way in each other's presence," said Lt. Mark Gagan, a patrol supervisor in the city's Northern Policing District. "What makes it even more disturbing is the presence of others. People came by, saw what was happening, and failed to report it."

In cases like the above, I believe that they should be tried as adults and introduced to the tender loving mercies of their fellow prisoners, then labelled as sex offenders for the rest of their natural lives.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Malina

I don't consider myself as informed enough to give my opinion about this list and its consequences, all I can say is that under more than one aspect, it leaves me with a feeling of deep unease.

Seeing as in my country (and, as far as I know, everywhere else) the number of such crimes never reported to the police is fearfully higher than the known one and considering that the vast majority of these crimes happen within families/relationships, are committed by a person (closely) connected to or (at least loosely) acquainted with the victim, I wonder just how effective such a list can be.

Hence, I have a question that steps a bit out of the context of this discussion, I hope it is alright asking it here: Are there any statistics that show how successful this list has been? Has the crime rate sunk in regard to rape and child abuse since the list was introduced? Has the number of offenders repeating the same or a similar crime sunk when their names have been on that list?

In other words, did it make a difference in the actual crime statistics, did it effectively protect possible victims and prevent similar crimes from happening, be it through reducing the number of offenders repeating such a crime or by 'scaring off' possible offenders who might want to avoid to find this label attached to their names for the rest of their lives?

To me, that would be the starting and key point. Before I ponder how such a list might be improved, whether the public should have access to it and how much so, the question burns under my nails - did it work? Does it, all other difficulties aside, serve its designated purpose?

Morven

Quote from: Malina on October 28, 2009, 07:53:18 AM
To me, that would be the starting and key point. Before I ponder how such a list might be improved, whether the public should have access to it and how much so, the question burns under my nails - did it work? Does it, all other difficulties aside, serve its designated purpose?

That's the question I wish we had an answer to as well. 

Unfortunately the last thing politicians ever want is for the impact of their legislation to actually be analyzed ...

And in this case, I wonder how it would even be possible to tell.  Crimes like murder, we can really tell if the rate is going up or down, because we find out about most cases.  Crimes like this, however, are likely so under-reported that most incidents are not known; thus, changes in the reported incidence of such crimes are just as likely (if not more so) to be changes in the reporting rate as changes in the underlying crime rate.

Increasing public awareness of a crime is likely to increase the reporting of it.

Satnslillgrl

Quote from: Dirge on October 28, 2009, 06:50:12 AM
There are some who are certainly not sex offenders... and then there are sick fucks like this:

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_13644237?nclick_check=1

In cases like the above, I believe that they should be tried as adults and introduced to the tender loving mercies of their fellow prisoners, then labelled as sex offenders for the rest of their natural lives.

I agree with you Dirge. Anyone who commits a non-consensual act with anyone, regardless of the age, should face the maximum penalty. I do not, however, believe that it's fair to have them on a public list. If they are released from prison they should have just as much of a chance to live a normal life as any other murderer and thief and criminal. Once you have repaid your court appointed debt to society, you should be finished.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally would rather know if I was moving next door to someone who went temporarily insane, killed three people, and then got out of prison early for good behavior then a kid who's hormones got the best of him one night. I'm not saying either are right or excusable, but the priorities seem a little skewed.

Quote from: Fullmoon Werehare on October 27, 2009, 07:29:00 PM

But there lies the problem. We educate our children young that killing each other is wrong, that stealing is wrong, but we shut up about what is right and wrong about sex, other than rape. The government places laws in place, but neither the schools, nor the parents are willing or able to teach young teens, due to many different religious, ethical, or what have you hangups about talking about sex with children that are physically able to break those laws.

I mean, you take a course in driving before you can get a license to drive due to the dangers of, why not sex education and corresponding laws? It shouldn't just be about anatomy, but the laws that are in place for protection. It would stop some of the problems of teens into adulthood with things that to them seem to have no consequences, by giving them the education they need. There would still be some that would do those things anyway, and then there should be punishment. But for those that don't know the laws, can you really say that they know the consequences of their actions? That they are knowingly doing something wrong?

I did some snipping from your post Moon, because I'd like to say just how much I agree with this.

I was raised by just my father my whole life. Sex was not a topic discussed. Ever. And because of this, being the person that I am, I wanted to figure it out. It was something I knew existed, but I didn't have any information about it. So first I started looking thing up about it, but then I wanted to know what the big deal is. I mean, it's gotta be something huge if it's a forbidden topic in the household, right? And I started being pretty active at a young age. The first time I cybered with someone was before I even hit my teens. And virginity? Gone at 15. And i am damn near positive that if it wasn't such a forbidden subject, more could have been discussed instead of tried. If I could have talked to my dad about sex I wouldn't have been as curious to find out for myself.

That's when most teens (or hell, younger then teens, now-a-days) get themselves into trouble. They want to know what it's all about. They can't talk to parents about it, because it's been made quite clear that it's an uncomfortable topic. But, human beings as a species are curious about things. That's why we're not the same as all the other creatures on this earth. We aren't content to just not know things. It's an almost physical need sometimes.

Simply talking to kids about sex and the physical and emotional aspects of it and the consequences that can happen if you aren't careful with it will make it something that isn't so unknown. It's not this mysterious thing that they have to secretly discover for themselves. They'll know they can ask the parent about aspects of it, instead of taking risks and trying it themselves without knowing a damn thing about what they're doing. I mean, how can you expect a 14 or 15 year old kid who knows nothing about sex except it feels good to understand the psychological damage that rape can do if no one has ever talked to them about it? Why wouldn't they think it feels just as good to the other person involved? How can you expect a kid to know how life-changing getting pregnant is unless you tell them? Some of them still won't give a damn, but I think, that most of the problem is them just not knowing. Never having it explained to them.

I hope that when I have children I can make them comfortable enough to come up to me and say "Hey mom. My girlfriend/boyfriend and I have been getting kind of serious lately, and we might end up wanting to try sex one of these days. Would you be willing to maybe get me some condoms so we can be safe, or maybe give me some advice on whether I should wait longer or how to go about things?" I think I'd probably consider that one of my biggest parenting successes.
Believe me, believe me. I can't tell you why.
But I'm trapped by your love and I'm chained to your side.
O/OA/A  UPDATED 1/3 <<--READ ME!!

Moonhare

Thank you. I also hope that my children are comfortable enough with me for them to come to me and ask questions. But I think it should go passed just me telling them to use condoms; it should be explained about the consequences of baiting someone older, about taking pictures and passing them around at school, and any other activities that could not only get them into trouble, but also others that might not have been influenced had they not gotten involved.

It is a two way street. Not only should an older adult not go after those under age, but those under age should not bait adults in order to get them into trouble. Teens can look for attention in the wrong way, not realizing what they are getting themselves and others into, and that those consequences can be devastating.

Education should come from both fronts, home and school. Maybe different aspects of it, but both still the same. How many of us could honestly say we knew the laws regarding age for consensual sex as a teen? I knew, but only because my mom told me so, repeatedly. But there were other laws that I didn't learn until I was much much older.

Cythieus

I watch a lot of Tyra Banks show, at first it was for Banks herself, but then I started listening to it and there are so many shows about teens being sex crazed at 13, getting pregnant, getting STDs and there was one girl who talked about how she would be friends with guys or fall for them and they would sleep with her and use her friendship to get in her pants.

I swear to God if I could cut the video feed and parts of the audio out you'd think she was a 25 year old woman telling these stories about guys doing this. Kids shouldn't be into that and its a lack of education on the schools part and the parents part BUT its on the fault of us as a culture. We've sexually everything so much and made it seem like all that's worth having out there is money, or that falling in love will mean all your problems are just fixed.

Teens are meant to be into whatever sex they like, but somewhere down the line (like right after I got out of Junior High it seems) things changed drastically, my freshman year of high school (2000) I remember talking to a girl from my old school and her telling me about girls being pregnant, about girls making nude pictures for guys and the big fuss all over the school it caused. When I was in Junior High it was huge news if someone got a handjob (like that person was pretty much known by everyone) all of a sudden people were pregnant.

It's odd that some latest studies show teen sex is down, but it still worries me that people 12 and 13 are sleeping around at a rate that most 17 year olds I knew couldn't back in high school. What changed really? How did it happen so quickly?

Serephino

I agree that education is important.  Parents don't want to think about it, and schools can't because parents would have a fit.  Sex is dirty and not suitable for children.  But all kids watch TV and lets face it, sex sells.  TV add, billboards, and magazine adds are all made to be sexy.  And don't get me started on romance novels.  My slut ex-friend used to read them all the time, and she'd give them to me to read.  There is nothing realistic in those books.  A virgin does not have multiple orgasms the first time.  There are no consequences to sex on TV and romance novels. 

As for if the list is working, I'd say it just gives offenders more incentive to not get caught.  I don't know that for sure, it's just what I suspect. 

Rhapsody

Quote from: Odin on October 28, 2009, 12:12:19 PM
It's odd that some latest studies show teen sex is down, but it still worries me that people 12 and 13 are sleeping around at a rate that most 17 year olds I knew couldn't back in high school. What changed really? How did it happen so quickly?

Part of the reason is because of the sexualization of our culture.  Now, I believe that sex isn't some dirty little secret hidden away behind closed doors, but I also don't believe that it should be the widespread focus it's become.  And that focus is not just spreading in prevalence; it's also crossing age boundaries it really shouldn't.

Let me give you an example.  My husband and I saw Push awhile back.  Once the character of Cassie Holmes was introduced into the story, my husband and myself remained rather disturbed by our reactions to her for the rest of the film.  Because she's dressed like this, or worse, the entire friggin' time she's on screen.  The character was supposed to be 13-14.  The actress just turned 15 this year.

If it was a film that had a child prostitute as a character in it, or anything even remotely pertaining to the sexualization of minors... but when it's an action/adventure flick, and they're trying to make everyone look sexy and cool...

It's wrong to be attracted to minors.  But when they do their damnedest to sexualize them, when they dress them up like 20-year-old ravers and put them in situations where what skimpy clothing they're wearing threatens to ride even higher up, how can you not?   We're wired to be attracted to certain things, and sometimes, a lot of the time, the media, the entertainment business, go out of their way to push the limits of those boundaries to practically unacceptable levels. 

It wasn't just my husband who felt like a pervert during that movie, let me tell you.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Oniya

That movie still-shot wasn't as bad as what I found here.

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Rhapsody

Quote from: Oni on October 28, 2009, 10:21:40 PM
That movie still-shot wasn't as bad as what I found here.

Maybe not.  It still made me feel like a dirty old man, which is an achievement since I am neither old nor a man.

Yeah.  Kids costumes are pretty bad nowadays too, as any parent who's been shopping for their kids over the last couple of weeks can tell you.  >.<
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Oniya

This is why I've cobbled together costumes for the last several years.  This is this year's offering.  (Her choice, as always.)