David Tennant, Patrick Stewart, Hamlet....Oh yes!

Started by DarklingAlice, April 27, 2010, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarklingAlice

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episodes/hamlet/preview-the-film/956/

They are putting the Royal Shakespeare Company's latest version of Hamlet, with David Tennant in the lead role and Patrick Stewart as Claudius, to film. This day just got a whole lot happier.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Huginn

My little sister missed this by a month. She is quite excited to see it as well.

GeekFury

Trieste

DarklingAlice

I have consistently been cynical about the possibility of a good performance of Hamlet. Honestly, I think it was one of those plays written for the author to work through both personal issues and matters of philosophy. The result is beautiful, but difficult to realize upon the stage.

I have faith in Tennant and Stewart however, if they have strong enough support they may well triumph! I am ridiculously excited.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Xenophile

Ever since I saw Patrick Stewart as Captain Ahab in a Hallmark Moby Dick picture, I've been convinced that the man is one of the most under appreciated actors of our time (or not, as he was Knighted a few months ago). I can't wait to see him in Hamlet.
Ons and Offs
Updated 2011 June 5th A's and A's

Paladin

Oh sweet! I've always wanted to see Patric Stewart in his plays.

Avis habilis

Good lord. I remember seeing Stewart play Claudius in Hamlet opposite Derek Jacobi back in, what was it, 1985? Lalla "Romana 1" Ward played Ophelia & Stewart had a full head of hair (!).

Oniya

Hamlet is also one of those plays that many stage actors - especially those with Shakespearean training - are likely to roll their eyes at.  When Mr. Oniya was in high school, he was at a convention where Paul Darrow (of Blake's 7) was one of the GOHs.  When he (Paul Darrow) was asked to read the infamous soliloquy, he went on for a bit about how everybody always asks for that one, and nobody really listens to it, because they already have this preconceived idea of how it's 'supposed' to sound - so the reader/actor doesn't dare deviate from that preconception without running the risk of being told (by a bunch of non-theatrical folks) that they're 'doing it wrong'.

He then proceeded to glance at the page, and rattled off the whole speech.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

GeekFury

Quote from: Avis habilis on April 28, 2010, 12:15:17 PM
Good lord. I remember seeing Stewart play Claudius in Hamlet opposite Derek Jacobi back in, what was it, 1985? Lalla "Romana 1" Ward played Ophelia & Stewart had a full head of hair (!).

Derek Jacobi, there is an actor sadly over looked alot now.

Arhys

A happier day indeed, thanks for posting this, I can't wait!  Just voted team Picard in another thread and an old college friend on facebook was reminiscing about the ST:TNG watching parties we would have,  so it seems to be a Patrick Stewart themed day.  Never a bad thing, that.