Concealed Carry

Started by adeleturner, November 07, 2011, 03:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

I knew there was some sort of open carry law in Wisconsin, though since I have no desire to own a gun I never bothered to track down the specifics.  It's a moot point now, in any case, since as of eight days ago there's now a concealed carry law here -- part of Walker's "laser-like focus on job creation", apparently.  :P

He had added a clause about requiring a certificate proving that you had taken a four-hour course in gun safety before you could get a concealed carry permit, but dropped it like a hot rock once the bill actually took effect.  All you have to do is pass the general check about criminal records, etc., and say that yes, you know how to use a gun.

For comparison, going out to hunt deer with a rifle in Wisconsin requires a 10-hour long safety course.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

meikle

Ours is not the finest state in the Union.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Valerian on November 09, 2011, 10:13:22 PM
I knew there was some sort of open carry law in Wisconsin, though since I have no desire to own a gun I never bothered to track down the specifics.  It's a moot point now, in any case, since as of eight days ago there's now a concealed carry law here -- part of Walker's "laser-like focus on job creation", apparently.  :P

He had added a clause about requiring a certificate proving that you had taken a four-hour course in gun safety before you could get a concealed carry permit, but dropped it like a hot rock once the bill actually took effect.  All you have to do is pass the general check about criminal records, etc., and say that yes, you know how to use a gun.

For comparison, going out to hunt deer with a rifle in Wisconsin requires a 10-hour long safety course.

You know.. once upon a time.. something like the disregard for 'responsible gun training' would have gotten the NRA involved. Too bad that was days ago.

Type70item

I am a former US army soldier, and have been trained in various methods of gun safety, aswell as when it is legally right to use lethal or nonlethal force with a firearm

I got my CWP 7 months ago because I began receiving death threats from a group of people and law enforcement said there was nothing they could do.

My opinion, if your profession puts you in situations where you could be attacked or robbed or are in some other form of danger in which the police are unable to offer you constant protection, yes i think its in your interest AND your right to carry a firearm, however I do feel that the classes for obtaining the permission to do so are far too lax, people are grabbing CWP's just to feel badass and tell all their friends they get to carry a gun

I think the issuing of CWP's should be restricted to those who can provide some type of valid reason to be armed on a daily basis

Serephino

Cops have a tough job.  I'm friends with one, and no, criminals don't wear signs on their foreheads.  A person doesn't have to have a criminal background to do something.  The first offense is the... first...  That, and peoples' brains tend to go out the window when they're panicking.

People have tried to run over stupid things like an expired license.  When he pulls someone over, or gets involved in a situation, he never knows what he's dealing with.  He could be pulling over someone with a concealed weapon and an arrest warrant.  That person could panic and try to avoid arrest by shooting him.

The cop in that video was a bit aggressive from what I watched, but they do have to be careful and stay alert.  Like Oniya said, keep your hands visible and don't make any sudden moves.  It may be natural to be nervous when getting pulled over, but they pick up on that and it makes them nervous too.  They don't know whether or not you have a good reason to be nervous, such as drugs in the car.  Over time they learn to tell, but they'll still watch you.   

Shjade

Quote from: Martee on November 07, 2011, 09:24:53 PM
My father always said the scariest part of any traffic stop is that moment when he'd come up alongside the car and couldn't see the driver's hands.
Because my brain is weird, I immediately found myself thinking of the stress caused by a car's passenger being an amputee.

Walking up, can't see the passenger's hands...I CAN'T EVEN SEE HIS ARMS OH GOD WHAT IS GOING ON

Poor cop has a heart attack before he even gets to the car. D:
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Semantics

I've always gotten nervous thinking about concealed carry laws, just because people can be insanely stupid and some of the requirements to get a license can hold the bar a bit low.  I suppose I don't have an issue with the idea itself, just with the execution.

On campus, though, would frighten me.  There are enough issues in the education system at all levels without adding guns to the mix.  Yes, it might prevent a Columbine.  Or it could just make it far worse.

As to assault weapon bans...  Taking the Second Amendment into that realm gets into the absurd, and reminds me of a Futurama episode.  "I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax...for duck hunting."

Craz

I come from a family that's rather anti-gun, but I've had experience with firearms and have taken a number of classes on the subject. From where I've lived in California, concealed carry is not something that works here. Most Californians are, in my opinion, too dumb to be trusted with carrying a firearm outside of a professional capacity. I'm personally not a fan of it, but I do see its uses.

On the note of any gun on class, if the person carrying isn't in uniform, that's just a horror it's something I don't want to even consider. That's just asking for all sorts of trouble that can't be accounted for.

GardenoftheDead

(A preliminary note: I'm a pretty liberal son of bitch, especially by American standards, despite what this statement might imply)

I personally think the Second Amendment is my concealed carry permit. The state says otherwise sadly.

But honestly, I don't see the point, even if I think I have that right. In most scenarios where a gun would come in handy, it would take too long to pull it out of the holster. As if I'm honestly gonna reach for a gun if I'm being mugged at gun point.
"I am you. I am a shadow, the true self."