Fresh Marvel AU RP Interest Check! Seeking One More Female Character!

Started by Vergil Tanner, February 04, 2016, 05:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freeko

Well, how hard do you want to stick to the timeline aspect of things? I have been following Rogue as a character for the better part of 25 to almost 30 years now. I could play her as just having been taken in by Mystique, though she is far more compelling as a more recent version of her character in the power set.

I saw the imbalance and did not want to suggest miss marvel because she would be a New Avenger because well that would be the fairly obvious choice.

I could "story" up a reason why Rogue would not be a New Avenger I think, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the balance.

Vergil Tanner

I would prefer a semi-accurate X-Men Rogue, personally, since she IS a more compelling character that way. I'll talk with Alix and see what we come up with.
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

freeko

If Rogue doesn't work out, you have anything else in mind suggestion wise that would fit a need for the idea as a whole. I am fairly flexible and Rogue has been a personal favorite of mine since.. well forever. I think the other option I would explore is Psylocke in the early 90s since she was so much more of a compelling character to me (and I liked the outfit better then too.)

Vergil Tanner

I need to talk to Alix first to decide what we should do, Freeko. I'll get back to you when we've decided. Any suggestions would need to be filtered through the "balancing" thing, and IF Rogue doesn't work out, you'd likely need to choose somebody who would fit in with the Wildcards. Therefore, I doubt any of the current X-Men would fit the bill.

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Kuroneko

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on February 09, 2016, 03:54:29 AM
I agree! I love her ^_^ And now I'm vaguely curious whether her grudge against humans extends to Flash, who isn't just ok with mutants; he dated one of them. XD Anyway! I love it, and she's definitely in! I do have ONE question, though;
The bio says that she started manifesting her powers at 16. Isn't that a bit late for mutations? Don't they usually start showing as the kid hits puberty (so 11 - 14 ish) ?

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you like her :-)

It is, though there is some variability, and I was searching for a way to explain why her eye and face can't heal. I can certainly adjust her onset and still have the healing factor emerge last to explain that if you like. However, she's also far older than the average mutant, and prior to the widespread use of electric lighting, the average age for menarche was 16. This has been my Cliff Clavin moment for the day ;) . Anyway, just let me know and I'll tweak it if you prefer.

As far as Flash goes, as long as he's okay with mutants, Cal will be fine with him ;). Her grudge is mainly with those who discriminate against obvious mutants. Perhaps I need to make that clear in the bio as well?
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Vergil Tanner

Oh, the age isn't an issue. Just something I was personally curious about :P I mean, Rogue didn't manifest her stuff until she was 16 - old enough to be kissing boys :P - so there's precedent. It doesn't need to be altered, just something I personally was curious about. Also, I can't find her on the Marvel Strength Database; what's her upper limit in terms of lifting weight, do you know? Just so I can get a feel for just how strong she is. :-)

Kuroneko

Gotch ;)

The Marvel Universe Wiki puts her strength at a five. To be honest, I'm used to running realistic/movieverse games where powers are toned down a bit, so I've played her as being able to pick up cars and throw them, which is far less than her comic abilities. I don't think she's quite Sif's match as far as strength goes (Sif is ranked a six), which is why I initially offered her up as the Sneak rather then the Brawler. However, Callisto is listed as faster and her fighting skills are also listed higher. So I figure it balances out, lol.

1SAZ

So, after thinking over my character and the core concept of The Prowler, I think I'll have him be the Wildcard's Techie instead of Sneak, since he's a bit more tech oriented, though he is more of a home grown techie than say Stark. I have a few ideas for him using SHIELD resources and tech to do some creative things for the Wildcards... If that's alright of course.

Life in Color

Quote from: 1SAZ on February 09, 2016, 01:53:53 PM
So, after thinking over my character and the core concept of The Prowler, I think I'll have him be the Wildcard's Techie instead of Sneak, since he's a bit more tech oriented, though he is more of a home grown techie than say Stark. I have a few ideas for him using SHIELD resources and tech to do some creative things for the Wildcards... If that's alright of course.

That sounds wonderful.

Freeko: The roster for the NAs is getting a bit tight. If we allow Rogue to join over with them, what role do you see her fulfilling?

MasterOfMyFate

I'm interested, but I'm trying to find the perfect B-list hero for this *plottin*
"Arrows through your heart."
Master ON/OFF

Life in Color

MasterOfMyFate

What position would best suit Blade if he were to be on the wildcards?
Master ON/OFF

Life in Color

MasterOfMyFate

Quote from: Alixandre on February 09, 2016, 05:18:16 PM
Maybe Sneak?

:D

I'd think so too. I also imagine him as a techie sorta since there were times when he had to make his own toys. But sneak is more keen to him from what I see.
Master ON/OFF

Life in Color

Writersblockade

I modified my original post, but here ya go

So it's got no character background lol. Honestly, I'm trying to think of a good way to marry the MCU with his comic book origins. I have a few ideas I'm messing with, but I'm leaning heavily towards Sam being in New York during the battle in The Avengers. an unstable discharge of energy from the tesseract accidentally links Sam to Redwing, which was kept a secret due to Sam fully knowing that he and his bird would be used as lab rats. He's military, so he knows the drill, but he's ex-military so fuck that.

== Character Bio ==

== Personal Information ==

Legal Name: Samuel Thomas Wilson
Alias: Previously Falcon. Now...Captain America
Sexuality: Straight
Team Role: New Avengers Heartline

== Physical Description / Clothing ==

The Man

Sam stands at 6'2" and has a commanding presence. He carries a certain confidence in himself, which naturally affects others. It's entirely natural to sense that when he believes, others can't help but to believe with him. When you've spent a significant amount of time with a man who could make you believe that anything was possible, no matter the odds, one was bound to learn a thing or two about themselves. He has the build of a pro football player, and still manages to keep in exceptional shape despite being older than he was when he first met Steve.

Civilian Wear

Whatever the mood or season calls for.

Hero Attire

When news of his stepping in to fill Cap's shoes made it out to the public, a PR team went to work immediately on his new look. Two alternatives were created using previous Captain America incarnations. One, created to bring some flare to the red, white, and blue that Steve was so near and dear to. It was jazzed up...pimped out to make him stand out as a new age example of patriotism. A suit that could stand up to the paparazzi and hold the imagination of a public in the grips of self-inflicted media ADHD.

The other was a mock up of Steve's stealth suit. It was designed to keep his brand recognition as Captain America, without showing so brightly against the darkness. Sleek and dark blue, it employs a grey star to offer contrast, as well as attract the eye to aim center mass towards the thickest part of his personal armor. Stark Industries is behind the materials used in both, but there are only so many things that can be done from a fabric standpoint, especially considering the fact that he has to remain light enough to maneuver aerially.

== Personality ==

"We gonna be all right". If there was a phrase that personified Sam's character, it was that. The things he's gone through could break others. He's had to look death in the face more often than was healthy, with just that one thought to chase away the insanity. His new role has tested his optimistic streak to its brink, and he repeatedly asks himself about exactly how crazy he must have been to sign up for the job. Deep inside he knew. Someone had to do it, and if that was the case, then it had to be someone who had the same optimism about their country that Steve had. Maybe their beliefs were molded by different times and experiences, but the love behind those beliefs always kept them on the same path.

He could only hope that that would be enough.

== Key Skills ==

Combat Experience: Sam has fought the biggest and baddest out there and lived to tell the tail. Sometimes it takes luck, but Sam's luck is knowing the right people to be around when things go south. Time spent with Steve has only made him better. Tactically sound and highly motivated to succeed is what made him good enough to stand tall with the best, and it'll be what helps him support the team when they need it most.

Powers:

Telepathic Link to birds - This allows him to see through the eyes of any bird on the planet. Chances are if you're hiding, and not in some bunker, he can find you. This link is especially strong in his Falcon, Redwing. Partners, Redwing serves as a suitable airborne support for the high flyer. Sam is able to send commands to Red either verbally or telepathically. Though this does extend to other birds, Sam can't help but feel that it's different with Redwing.

Skills:

Martial Artist - Military trained first before Steve took him to finishing school, Sam is a highly proficient fighter.

Shield Master - When you've spent time backing up a guy who uses a shield like it's his real super power, you pick up a few things. Able to engage multiple targets in one throw, Steve made sure to take steps that made sure when the shield fell into his hands, he knew what to do with it.

Aerial Predator - If you're in the sky, you're in his domain. Years spent in the sky has given him a level of comfort with it known to few. He has even adjusted Cap's Shield style for use aerially, and has been known to be extremely accurate even while in motion.

Acrobatics - As if flying wasn't enough, he also knows how to use his body on the ground or against other structures as a means to maneuver. A combination of both styles makes him able to strike someone with his weight and flight speed behind him. Almost like a falcon. Go figure.

Weaknesses:

-Not being heavily armored leaves him vulnerable to large blasts that connect. But only if they connect.

-flight entirely dependent on mechanical wings

-Normal human, from a physical stand-point, so no augmented traits

== Character Background ==

Things hadn't been the same for Sam since his move to New York. War had cost him things. Friends... brothers in arms...part of his sanity. His was the unseen side of loss, and there was very little anyone could do for him, until he inexplicably found an injured falcon on his apartment roof. Why he felt such a strong need to care for the bird, he'd never know. Maybe he spent so much time not caring that the bird's arrival triggered something in him. He absorbed books on  falconry while nursing the bird back to health. When the bird was finally fit to fly, he was certain that his experiment would fail, but to his everlasting amazement, it came back! Then it kept coming back, and every time it did, it seemed to bring back a piece of Sam's soul. He'd stare at it, high in the sky, and remembered the freedom he felt when he had wings. It was bittersweet, but considering he hadn't even been able to even think about it since coming home, there was a feeling of progress there.

Then came the Battle of NY. Stark tower served as a lightning rod, and the surrounding areas, like his, attracted a few stragglers from the invading force. The news reports would argue over the amount of damage caused or prevented by the soon-to-be-called Avengers, but very little coverage was used to tell the story of a man and his falcon organizing and defending a city block from marauders. Raw cosmic energy washed over the area in a wave when the portal was activated, and Sam was in the middle of feeding Redwing when they were hit and knocked unconscious. Awakened by the sounds of panic, Sam ran to find himself knee deep in a Chitauri invasion! From there the stories differ, but most tell the story of a man that fought like hell to protect the people around him, and seemed to have a pet falcon that was incredibly loyal.  What the papers wouldn't know is that their story would get the attention of SHIELD, and that Steve Rogers himself would come calling.

Sam still remembered the first thing Steve did when he met him. Just a guy on the street in plainclothes and Sam just sitting on a stoop while Redwing hunted for dinner. He apologized. He explained who he was, and how the bulk of the invasion was supposed to be diverted while stragglers like the ones Sam ran into were rounded up. Sam remembered him taking it pretty hard...like the guy didn't just save the world or something. He was honestly feeling more sorry for him than he was for the people in his neighborhood who needed to clean up the mess "those aliens" made. For the first time, he saw what made Steve who he was. They talked for hours. Redwing fed on some unlucky creature while they talked about nothing...everything. It all felt like it was building to something, but Sam couldn't tell what. They were halfway into their beers when Steve finally dropped the bomb. SHIELD. The guy was willing to get him in on a training class. "Not a free lunch" was the way he put it, but when a man like Steve tells you that you've got something, you go with it.

Steve Rogers: Fugitive

No free lunch was right. He'd done some pretty hazardous things when he served, but the amount of mental and physical punishment inflicted on them was the stuff of legend. There was a hopeful who served on the teams before SHIELD and he could hardly understand it. He likened it to exercising different muscles in places where he already had muscles. Alien, yet familiar, and it all hurt. He hadn't seen Steve again until he was officially an agent. He knew why, so he never asked, and Steve didn't feel the need to explain. He did know that he pulled strings to keep Redwing close, which is what Sam did want to talk about. The conversation reminded him of that night again. The night a man convinced him to finish mending the chain that tied him to his sense of duty. Steve laid it out just as plain as day. Interviews of the survivors in his neighborhood had very interesting things to say that the newspapers didn't put in. That Redwing seemed to act on command... to just know where he was needed. "So I have to ask, Sam...what's the connection?"

On one hand, Sam didn't want to lie to the man that helped give him a new lease on life, on the other he hated the idea of them being someone's test subject. Loyalty won out, and he sung like a canary. His life, and the life of his friend were in Steve's hands, and a thoughtful Rogers couldn't help but wonder out loud "does it work on other birds?"

It was a question that opened a whole new can of worms.

Time marched on and due to his previous experience (and while one battle with an alien race could barely be called experience, it was 100% more experience than the other newbies had) Sam hadn't mentioned his link with Redwing to anyone other than Steve, and there was no indication that his immediate supervisors knew either. It turned out that he could, in fact, communicate with other birds. He tested his limits over time, and was able to see more and more as he cultivated his ability. It was a pity that with all he has learned to see, he failed to see what was coming.

Fury went down, and Captain America was wanted for questioning regarding his death. Sam knew where he was... the poor guy made for a lousy field agent, but he had the widow with him, and they managed to keep each other alive. Redwing lost them after the mall, and Sam did everything he could to be "helpful" to the SHIELD agents questioning him regarding Cap's whereabouts. Sam got an alert from a few eyes in the sky when Rogers and Romanov resurfaced, and lost his tail to get to them. With a little explanation, and a lot of their help, he was able to get his wings back, only to have his comeback stalled by Hydra SHIELD agents. A stirring call to arms, massive explosions, and billions of dollars in property damage later and he was no longer SHIELD. Truth be told, he had no idea what he was.

The Mighty Avengers

It took a while to set things to rights again. SHIELD was back from the dead, dragged kicking and screaming by Nick Fury. He was asked to come on board again. That his skills would do well for an agency in need of a robust surveillance apparatus. Considering what Sam had heard about Fury, he could hardly be surprised that he knew. The only thing he wondered was whether Steve told him, or if he told Steve. The latter was more plausible. In any case, he had to turn him down. If being a spy meant that he'd have to constantly be ready to turn his back on a friend, then he had to find himself another line of work anyway. Thankfully, Steve had a side project he could do on the Avenger's dime, and who was Sam to turn down billable hours in that economy?

For a time, things were good. About as good as stopping the world from ending repeatedly could get, but something was gnawing at Sam. He felt like the world was getting away from him. He reasoned that being an Avenger was the pinnacle of superherodom...like being on an Olympic dream team. That the things they dealt with were making a difference, but he didn't feel that way. People were still suffering, and as much as saving the world was a rush, it seemed empty if the people they were saving it for were lost underfoot. He used his brand to help gain awareness for organizations after he said goodbye to the Avengers. When emergencies happened, he and redwing played them the way they originally did - by looking out for the people in the areas affected. He arranged for other heroes with very little to no exposure gain a piece of the limelight while using their powers to lend a helping hand under his "Heroes for Hope" foundation. Maybe some of them weren't able to take on Galactus just yet, but the money they've saved on shipping supplies to affected areas alone was nothing short of miraculous, to say nothing of some of the useful construction applications that some of their powers held. Steve would drop in every now and then for photo ops and a speech or two. He figured that it was the best way he could help, and by the way Sam saw the faces of his group light up...well, the guy couldn't be more right.

He thanked him the last time he saw him. He never did, at least not in a way that would embarrass the guy, but he gave him a true heartfelt thank you. They'd been through hell and back, sometimes literally. Steve trained him, and gave him a chance to be more than what he was. How could you properly thank someone for that? He was so perplexed, he even asked him. Sam remembered that Steve took a moment and looked at his shield, then at the crew in the distance as they finished for the day and said the only thing that needed saying "you already did, Sam." He threw a half salute and a smile before he headed back to the waiting Quinjet.

When the reports came out about Cap's death,  Sam delivered the eulogy. After that he handed control of HoH to someone who served as something of an understudy. She didn't pack the power to take on anything stronger than a two-bit thug, and she knew it, but she had a mind for business and genuinely wanted to help people. The ideas she supplied were dynamic and fed the imagination. He couldn't have asked for anyone better to take it on. It was a while before he showed up unannounced at Avengers Tower. His biometric data was still on the books. Access was granted without incident. Turns out the bastard made sure to keep him on file...like he knew Sam would be back, or at the least just hoped. They found him just staring at the glass-encased shield. Battered, bloodied, and absolutely magnificent. The Smithsonian wanted it ravenously, but Tony wouldn't stand for it. Even in his drug addled state, he still knew his way around. They never came within an inch of getting it.

Sam had seen Kitty slip through the crowd, literally. He was aware of her, but outside of mixers, he didn't know much about her other than she was the lead singer they choose when they decided to put the band back together. She looked young... too young, almost. But then he remembered looking about the same when he took his stand. Avengers were dead. She knew the risks. He turned to her, resolved to do what he came there for, and spoke "Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to get this shield out of the display. I'm going to need it"

== Character Extras ==

Redwing - Sam's right hand bird. All the natural powers of a bird of prey, with the added benefit of having a human to save from themselves.

Weapons

Sonic Cannons - Turns Redwing's screech into a ear-splitting blast of sound that is focused onto a target. Serves to distract or immobilize for quick pacification.

== Face Claim: == Anthony Mackie

Theme Song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO2ebiuV3hU&list=PLF51E3C78B01D792C&index=65

Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

Re Z L

A&A

Life in Color

Quote from: Re Z L on February 09, 2016, 06:40:48 PM
Why not just nick-name him American Eagle?   :P

Because they over-perfume their stores.

And ick.

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Life in Color

Vergil Tanner

Right!

Awesome Sam bio; I'll slot him up there right away!

On the note of Blade: I see him as either the Sneak or the Brawler type. The Sneak is currently unoccupied, so go ahead!

On the note of Prowler: I can see Techie. :-)

On the note of Rogue: We've decided that if you want to pitch Rogue, go ahead! We'll then close NA apps until The Wildcards have an equal number. :-) Though you could alternatively take Psylocke for the Wildcards, if you want. Up to you! :D

I think that's all the necessary responses made, right? XD

Vergil Tanner

Oh! Forgot one:

Kureneko, that sounds fine :-) Being weaker than Sif should be balanced out by being smaller and nippier. :-)
Out of curiosity, where do they rank Venom and Carnage's strength levels?

Writersblockade

*laughs* you know, I thought about throwing one of Marvin's songs up, but I'm not going to lie, I thought it was the wrong feel for this version of Sam.
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

Kuroneko

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on February 09, 2016, 07:06:51 PM
Oh! Forgot one:

Kureneko, that sounds fine :-) Being weaker than Sif should be balanced out by being smaller and nippier. :-)

Callisto!Muse insists she is NOT smaller ... but may indeed be nippier :P

QuoteOut of curiosity, where do they rank Venom and Carnage's strength levels?

Venom's Flash Thompson incarnation is low ranked all around I'm afraid. His strength ranking is only two, fighting skills three. MacDonald Gargan as Venom has a strength of seven but fighting is only a two. Carnage is higher, with a strength of five and fighting four.

Also, *whispers* 'Kuroneko' is misspelled in the character roster ;)

Vergil Tanner

Ah, sorry. XD I'll correct that now. XD

And what?! That's bullshit right there! Thompson's Venom has been shown to be able to lift just as much weight as Carnage herself! And that's BEFORE his "upgrade" to True Host "Space Knight!" AND Thompson is a trained special forces soldier, and he only gets a three?! And Carnage, only a five and a four? She frequently gives The Avengers trouble!
I now no longer trust that database. It's obviously nonsense. >.<