Dungeon World (very rules-lite fantasy in the style of D&D)

Started by wander, May 21, 2015, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

Thank you for taking a look inside and considering having a game!

I am considering running a game of Dungeon World, a relatively light system based game. Dungeon World is a fantasy adventure game, in the vein of Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft and many, many more. A story of adventurers venturing out and fulfilling their destinies, whatever they may be.

You will not need a copy of Dungeon World to enjoy this game.

Play is mainly narrative (free form), with a very small select number of actions reliant on a dice roll, I'll let you know when you need to roll if you're not sure about it. All rolls use 2d6 and follow a basic mechanic of 10-12 = pass, 7-9 = pass but something happens, 6 or less = fail, but gain 1xp by learning from your mistake. Different classes have different abilities and your attributes will decide any modifier to the basic roll.

The fun of Dungeon World is that the setting is made up by the players in-game from questions given to them by the GM (me), answers will bring xp rewards along with the joy of being actively involved with an aspect of the world building! This means that the game will be yours as much as mine, so I won't be listing setting information here because that will be decided by you!

This will be open to approved and unapproved members, running adventures with characters who may come and go, so to handwave any player turnover that occurs. The game will be constantly chugging along whilst I am about to run it, it won't die if one player happens to vanish. Unless a reason is given to me to keep them in the story, any player who doesn't reply after one week will have their character written out of the story and the plot will be updated to keep the game going. This may bring a more episodic nature to the game, being more representative of a television series or a series of short novellas more than a film or large novel.

The world will be the main constant, though even that will expand and grow as more people come by and add something to it. Things will start small though eventually I hope for things to be epic in scope as the characters travel outwards and see more sights and run into more conflicts! Want a specific building or land as part of your backstory in the game world? Write it in and it's canon! Whats more is you'll get a shiny experience point for doing it!

So, I am looking for people interested in writing such a game. There are a number of classes available to choose from. Because of the amount here, the game would suit having one person play one class at a time.

Bard: charismatic holders of lore who can cast spells from their performances.
Cleric: worshipper of a deity, they can petition their deity to gain spells and lore. They can turn the undead.
Druid: shapeshifts into animals, a kin to the spirits they need no food or water to live.
Fighter: wielder of an enchanted weapon, adept with armour and can use their strength to great effect.
Paladin: holds an aura of command, they can heal others through touch. They gain abilities through dedicating themselves to quests
Ranger: expert hunters and trackers, they are adept with their bow and wield an animal companion.
Thief: Those who can see and disarm traps and greatly damage targets with a well-placed poisoned attack.
Wizard: A collector of spells for their book of magic, they can cast or dispel magic and are also expert ritualists.

Races
There are four playable races in Dungeon World; Humans, elves, dwarves and halflings. Humans can be any of the above classes. The other three races are a bit more limited. They can take the following;

Elves
(Bards, Druids, Fighters, Rangers or Wizards)

Dwarfs
(Clerics or Fighters only)

Halflings
(Druids, Fighters or Thieves)

I can help with character creation if you do not own the system... Just tell me if you don't own the game and which race/class combo you like and I can help you create your character. Once you have your sheet, do feel free to include in your bio things that other players have added in theirs, it will help with Bonds, which are mutual ways your character is linked with the others and another way to get experience points in resolving these character arcs.

I will ask questions on backstories, every question answered that adds a bit to the world will net that character 1xp going into the game.

This is very much a game for those who like fantasy games and would love to see a detailed world evolve through play from blank canvass, where their additions become canon and a bigger picture gets realized. Where everyone gets a say and few things get turned down and ignored.

All I need from anyone interested is to list under here what class and race they'd like. If you own Dungeon World, please also place your character sheet's details filled out in full.

Show your interest below! :)

Lirliel

While I don't have the book, it definitely sounds interesting,

I'd like to play a Wizard :)

Are there also different races, or do we truly have to create cultures, races, nations etc by ourselves?
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Cold Heritage

I'd like to play a Fighter. I have the book. I'll get a sheet together if we get more interest.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

wander

Quote from: Lirliel on May 22, 2015, 11:45:07 PM

I'd like to play a Wizard :)

Are there also different races, or do we truly have to create cultures, races, nations etc by ourselves?

Cool, you can for sure play a Wizard! ^^

There are different race options for each class... The Wizard has a choice between being an Elf or a Human, though there are other options for other classes, which in the corebook are Dwarf and Halfling. Down the road the Ranger class may discover they are actually a Half-Elf down the road also.

Races merely give you a different ability depending on which you pick.
For an Elven Wizard, they gain Detect Magic as a cantrip; a cantrip is simply a spell that gets prepared without formally naming the spell in preparing it and it doesn't count in the limit of spells your character can hold. Successfully casting Detect Magic will have the GM announce if magic is nearby or not.

For a Human Wizard, they can choose one Cleric spell as if it was a Wizard spell to add to the list of three 1st Level spells the Wizard starts with in their spellbook.

For the lists of spells, I recommend checking out the Dungeon World SRD online. A quick google search will find it for you. :)

Any specific cultures and nations are created by the players, no system involved though I'll give you 1xp for adding it in. It's as simple as writing it into the story, then it's canon! Simple. :)

Remember when you reach 8xp and rest up, your character will reach Level 2 and so they'll be more able.

QuoteI'd like to play a Fighter. I have the book. I'll get a sheet together if we get more interest.

You are very welcome to be the Fighter, Cold Heritage! ^^

WhatLiesAbove

I LOVE D&D! I'll play a Ranger, if you are still looking!

wander

Still looking and sure, you can be the Ranger. :)

The Ranger can be Elf or Human, later down the line they can discover they are Half-Elven if you decide your character is one. The initial choice shows which side they take more after if you want to do that.
Their animal companion can be one of the following; Wolf, cougar, bear, eagle, dog, hawk, cat, owl, pigeon, rat or mule.

It's been a while, is everyone else who showed interest still wanting to play?

wander

Bumping this thread as my interest to play Dungeon World has increased some recently.

I'll be looking for solos and possibly group games if interest is sufficient, I'll also play with approved or unapproved members. Let me know here if interested and to talk characters. :)

GabrielB

I would be very interested in this type of game if you are still up for running it. I have experience with DnD and other systems before so I should be alright playing it here; also I have a sack of D6's to roll around!

If so I think I'd like to play a Human Paladin, I can write up some character information if this is still going and will be prepared to start when needed.

wander

Great to hear! ^^

Some questions before we begin!

Would you like to be a Lawful Paladin, gaining xp when they deny mercy to a criminal or unbeliever, or a Good Paladin, who gains xp by endangering themself to protect those weaker than them? Thats not the only way to get xp of course, though it'll be a sorta Alignment bonus for roleplaying the character by their Class. :)

All Paladins are Human, so need to pick race! ^^

One more thing, choose a look, pick one from each of the lists for a general description, it's a thing Dungeon World does as an aid if others decide to join in and you want to describe your character's appearance quickly;

x Kind eyes, fiery eyes or glowing eyes
x Helmet, styled hair or bald
x Worn Holy Symbol or Fancy Holy Symbol
x Fit Body, Bulky Body or Thin Body

You do get stats, but if you sort that out and have a name, that's a great start to your character. :)

Rish

Greetings, I am very much interested in joining this kind of game but I do not know the book. If its similar to d&d I believe I could work on my character sheet alone and then with your help fashion it into one that fits this system. But if you believe it would be easier to get it done with your own help then I am fine doing it that way also.

Though I do have a few questions. And perhaps a request or two if you do not mind answering them.

Question 1: As a druid, would I be tied to only one animal I can change into, or only the animals I know of?

Question 2: As they are kind of like a spirits, are the races they can play as more varied than the normal classes. Or is it stuck to the same classic races like Elven, human, halfling, dwarf, and half-orc? (Thinking with D&D in mind.)

Request: Could you add the available races of each class in a subsection below them, or part of the class? I think it will be easier for those that do not know of the game or have a book to have a better idea of what race they would like to play that way.

wander

Hia...

As a Druid you start with a Land where your spirit magic is strongest. This could be 'The Great Forests' or 'The Vast Desert' etc. You can have your Druid transform into any animal that would call this place their natural habitat. You can also add more forms when your character spends time contemplating the spirit of an animal you wish to also shift into. So, you'd actually start with a few animals you could turn into and through play gain more. You are unlimited in how many animals you can shift into and this doesn't affect your Level.

The three races that can play Druid are Elf, Human and Halfling. Dwarves exist in Dungeon World but have fairly limited classes, Half-Orcs don't exist at all (except as a monster to fight). Think of DW more like AD&D 2nd edition with things it has available.

I'll look into editing the race/class thing in the post. Hopefully that will show what's available a bit better.

Rish

Mhmmm. Then I think I would like to play a Halfling Druid. What bonuses would I get from that, the one's tied to the race? I believe its different from the throwing bonus as well as the height bonus the race normally gets. I am also unsure if states are a thing in this game so I am mostly thinking on a roleplay aspect at the moment.

Oh, also, would I be joining an already active game or starting my own solo with my character? Just asking as it may effect what kind of character I wish to play and design.

wander

Dungeon World is interesting as racial bonuses are linked to race and class, so a Halfling of one class gets a different bonus than one of another. Just as they'd get different bonuses to (for example) the humans of those classes.

Anyway, a Halfling Druid can 'sing the healing songs of spring and brook'. This means that whenever they make camp, they and their allies heal +1d6. Making camp is as easy as settling down for sleep and a ration. Characters level up only when they make camp (similar to Final Fantasy 15) and they also heal half their max HP when they've slept for a few hours.

Also if you finish your character it'd be a solo game, as noone else has made a character and finished them.

If you're playing a Halfling Druid, pick a look...

Choose one for each:
-Wise Eyes, Wild Eyes, or Haunting Eyes
-Furry Hood, Messy Hair, or Braided Hair
-Ceremonial Garb, Practical Leathers, or Weathered Hides

Rish

No one has finished their characters before? That is kind of a shocker. I guess my allies will most likely be henchmen and animal companions further into the game then. But that bonus does sound like a nice on. But now onto my look!

Wild Eyes, Furry Hood, Ceremonial Garb.

wander

Okay, here's the big one... Stats!

You have your normal D&D stats of Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma. Your stats are set, but you can decide in what order you want the numbers to go in, they're as follows;

16 (+2), 15 (+1), 13 (+1), 12, 9 and 8 (-1).

The brackets are the modifier to a roll you make with that stat. Below I've listed where each stat is generally used, so you know how best to build your character. :)

Str: Melee attacks
Dex: Ranged attacks (only used for a Druid if armed with a spear, which can be thrown)
Con: Mainly defence (of self and others) and HP
Int: Knowledge and Lore
Wis: Perception checks
Cha: Social manipulation

As a Druid, you start with 6 + Constitution in HP, so (for example) if you decided to place 12 in Con, you'd have 18HP.

Rish

Well I need to ask a little question before I go any further into this to make sure that I put the points in the right place. When my druid takes a form of a beast, does the strength stats change to match that animal, or do I still keep my own stats even in my new form? Depending on if the stats change over, as that seems to be the main power of the druids in this world, will determine if I put my points in certain places or not.

If they do become the stats of the beast. So my strength and other stats remain the same:

Str: 16
Dex: 8
Con: 13
Int: 15
Wis: 12
Cha: 9

If they don't however:

Str: 12
Int: 16
Wis: 15:
Cha:9

The reason why I'm putting most of my points in int, for knowledge and lore, is that seems like the abilities I need the most as a druid, To know the creatures I turn into. To know the land, to know not to anger or treat certain beings in certain ways. Of course, knowledge of civilization will be much more difficult. But the land and the creatures and monsters of it should be much easier for a druid to know.

wander

Your stats will remain the same when you take on the form of a beast. You make a roll whenever you wish to shapeshift into a beast and that's reliant on Wis, so you'd roll 2d6 and use your Wis mod to see if your character does it. The roll decides how often you can use animal actions before you shift back to your natural form. It'd be my job as GM to let you know what special actions your choice of animal has available, though you can state what actions you want or ask me if a specific one is available.

Dungeon World uses the term 'Moves'... attacking in melee or range are Moves, as are most actions a character will undertake. As you Level up you'll gain access to new Advanced Moves to do with your class, which are essentially class abilities gained from Levelling up. I've already looked through the Druid's Advanced Moves and none have a stat to modify them.

Lore checks with Int will be called when you want to see if your character has a bit of knowledge and that could be if they know about a certain animal's ways or a specific of civilisation. I won't throw personal modifiers at you based on what you're doing as the roll itself will decide, it makes the game smoother and also you'd need to get a 7+ on 2d6 without a modifier to pass without me throwing any negatives in there. ^^

Rish

Str: 15
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 9

Then these will be my final stats. As I need wisdom for my main abilities as a druid.

wander

Nearly done with character generation, just a few more things to do. I've been doing it step by step so not to overload and dump a lot of info on your plate. ^^

Okay, as a Druid you'll need to read this and choose your Land and your Tell.

Born of the Soil
You learned your magic in a place whose spirits are strong and ancient and they’ve marked you as one of their own. No matter where you go, they live within you and allow you to take their shape. Choose one of the following. It is the land to which you are attuned—when shapeshifting you may take the shape of any animal who might live in your Land.
•The Great Forests
•The Whispering Plains
•The Vast Desert
•The Stinking Mire
•The River Delta
•The Depths of the Earth
•The Sapphire Islands
•The Open Sea
•The Towering Mountains
•The Frozen North
•The Blasted Wasteland

Chose a tell—a physical attribute that marks you as born of the soil—that reflects the spirit of your land. It may be an animal feature like antlers or leopard’s spots or something more general: hair like leaves or eyes of glittering crystal. Your tell remains no matter what shape you take.

Rish

I think I will take
The Great Forests. As its the one I will likely know the most animals from personally.
Tell:
Thinking either Rabbit ears and tail, for the sheer silliness and cuteness of it.

wander

Thats cool. :)

I forgot to ask, what will your halfling's gender be? Not important for chargen at all, I'm just curious. :)

Okay, choose your Alignment... This basically gives you an option ingame to get more xp. Whenever you fulfil the Alignment's task, you get 1xp for good roleplay.

Chaotic: Destroy a symbol of civilization.

Good: Help something or someone grow.

Neutral: Eliminate an unnatural menace.

After that will be Gear. I'll throw two NPCs with you as it seems we'll be doing this solo for the moment. Then we'll do Bonds, which is another way to get xp, by completing or advancing character relationships. That all done, we can play. :)

Rish

I'm be playing as a male halfling. Just to let you know, I always play males unless a dm forces a gender change for some strange reason.

And I will also be Chaotic, as that seems to open up more potential for plot to me than Neutral or Good. At least long-term. While Good and Neutral seem more small term or quest related. It won't get me a lot more experience. But I think I'll have more fun being chaotic. (As that is my IRL alignment as well from what my friends tell me.)

wander

Okay, your Load is 7, which is important for encumberance. Weight is pretty abstract for Dungeon World, so just roll with it... ^^

Choose your defence:
•Hide armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
•Wooden shield (+1 armor, 1 weight)

Choose your armament:
•Shillelagh (close, 2 weight)
•Staff (close, two-handed, 1 weight)
•Spear (close, thrown, near, 1 weight)

Notes on range... Close is your arm's length, plus a foot or two. Near range for the Spear is useful for attacking when you see the whites of an enemy's eyes. You can also throw the spear, though careful because if you miss you can lose it, though you may recover it when able.

Choose one:
•Adventuring gear (1 weight)
[Basically a backpack with 5 items in it. These items are undecided until you let me know you're going to use one, then you let me know what it is. Once you've done that, you mark it down.]
•Poultices and herbs (2 uses, 1 weight)
[Heals 7 damage per use, though it takes a few minutes to properly apply them]
•Halfling pipeleaf (0 weight)
[6 uses, when you share it with someone, mark off 2 uses and you get a +1 for a charisma roll with that person]
•3 antitoxin (0 weight)
[drink it to cure yourself of a poison]

Then Gear is sorted and I'll get back to you when you've decided with two characters and we'll talk how your Bonds with them work.

Rish

I'll try to remember that.

Chosen:
Hide armour.
Shillelagh
Adventuring Gear

Mostly. Its the backpack that is most important out of that lot. As it will allow a lot more smaller things that have little weight, if any to them to be carried. As well as a place to store things we come across. Including food.

wander

Rish, I was having trouble today thinking on which classes to play a partner with yourself. I want someone skilled with ranged weapons to go with yourself, a Bard, Ranger or Thief. I was also thinking of having just one other NPC with you, so it made it feel more like your character is the main star of the show. Though placing a Fighter, Wizard and Thief with you covers bases and shows you a lot more of the game.

I've noticed you've been approved! Congrats! If you'd like to talk more via PM, please do so and let me know what you'd prefer with partner characters before jumping into the game world. :)

Rish

Quote from: wander on September 18, 2015, 06:56:37 PM
Rish, I was having trouble today thinking on which classes to play a partner with yourself. I want someone skilled with ranged weapons to go with yourself, a Bard, Ranger or Thief. I was also thinking of having just one other NPC with you, so it made it feel more like your character is the main star of the show. Though placing a Fighter, Wizard and Thief with you covers bases and shows you a lot more of the game.

I've noticed you've been approved! Congrats! If you'd like to talk more via PM, please do so and let me know what you'd prefer with partner characters before jumping into the game world. :)

Thank you for the congrats! And let me think, mhmmm. I believe a Ranger, for a ranger can be both ranged and duel wielding closer quarters. (At least in the d&d world they can) Would fit. They can also track and would get along with a druid being from similar environments. And a thief is a must to spot and disable traps. As for a wizard. Could it be possible to encounter and have them join later on? So we have all the bases covered but we don't start off with them covered.

wander

Sure, to end we'll do Bonds quick, which going in just will decide the character arcs you have with those three. For now just fill in whatever you like the sound of with their Class in the blanks. You don't have do a Bond for every character, though if you could pick at least one, that'd be awesome. That done, tomorrow some time (hopefully) I'll make an IC thread for the roleplay.

Bonds:
Fill in the name of one of your companions in at least one:

____________________ smells more like prey than a hunter.

The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows ______________.

I have showed ________________ a secret rite of the Land.

___________ has tasted my blood and I theirs. We are bound by it.

The reasoning for this will be who you fill in will be someone you've met previously or your feeling about someone, when you feel your bond with that character has had some resolution or large change, you get 1xp for following this small subplot through to another phase, where your Bond with that person most likely changes. Resolution of the new Bond gifts another 1xp and so on. These tend to take longer to complete over a few sessions usually as they're to do with character development, which can be fairly slow for a dungeon crawl game by default, though you as the player will have the most say in how the game flows, develops and grows, including the world itself around your character.

Rish

The Ranger smells more like prey than a hunter.
The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows the Thief.
I have shown the wizard a secret rite of the land.
The wizard has tasted my blood and I theirs. We are bound by it.

The last two seemed like the best ones to pick for the wizard who will be joining us a little later. So a stronger bond will be shared by the druid with them that will allow him to freely accept him into the group.

Oh! And once everything is done. Could I have a copy of my characters details?

wander

Interesting choice for the Ranger... I like it, I'm a little inspired to make their character a certain way now for you... ^^

The characters will have Bonds with yourself too. The Wizard should be easy to sort out as you seem to want a strong bond with them, though let me know if you'd like the bonds to go a certain way, if you'd like the other characters to like you, think little of you or what have you. I'll ask to confirm when I let you know what Bonds I have chosen they have with you.

I'll PM you a character sheet tomorrow. I believe there's nothing else to ask of you at this point. I'll be a lil busy tomorrow though I'll try and get the IC thread up. I may have some questions for you too, if you answer them, you can get 1xp for every answer that worldbuilds a little bit. :)

Rish

Quote from: wander on September 18, 2015, 09:02:28 PM
Interesting choice for the Ranger... I like it, I'm a little inspired to make their character a certain way now for you... ^^

The characters will have Bonds with yourself too. The Wizard should be easy to sort out as you seem to want a strong bond with them, though let me know if you'd like the bonds to go a certain way, if you'd like the other characters to like you, think little of you or what have you. I'll ask to confirm when I let you know what Bonds I have chosen they have with you.

I'll PM you a character sheet tomorrow. I believe there's nothing else to ask of you at this point. I'll be a lil busy tomorrow though I'll try and get the IC thread up. I may have some questions for you too, if you answer them, you can get 1xp for every answer that worldbuilds a little bit. :)

I am perfectly good with answering every question you ask of me. Even one's that will need a good long response. For example, lore questions. *So do enjoy writing up lore for worlds.* And I will be looking forward to seeing the sheet! Once I have it I plan to see if I can find a suitable image to match them and write a backstory. So he has more depth in the world we're making for the game.

wander

Excellent stuff, feel free to take it casually, I don't expect essays or anything and you'll get 1xp for a face-claim and 1xp for a backstory, on top of any specific answers to questions I'll ask. It takes 8xp to reach Level 2 (of course you need to make camp and rest for that to take effect), though you should find going into the game that Level 2 won't be too far away. And because you gain xp mostly from making rolls, you'll have a really good reason to get involved and interact with the world around you as it forms.

Rish

Good to know, and I won't be making an essays. But expect a good few paragraphs for a back-story. Once I get an idea and working on it I like to get it down.

Cassandra LeMay

Is this still open? I know the rules (even if I never played them) and I could either bring in the Ranger character I made some while ago with Wander, or maybe play a Fighter (tending toward the latter). Should probably only take me a day or two to make a character so I wouldn't hold up the game start much.

But if you already have ideas running through your head that might be best suited for a 1-on-1 game, don't hesitate to say so, Wander. I know how it can be when the muse decides on a certain path.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

The game is still open and infact always is open and recruiting.

It's taken a bit of time via PM to set up a thread with Rish. There's been discussion on a map which I've thrown together and I plan at some point hopefully tonight to open the IC thread here in Non-Adult.

Rish will have two NPCs, an elf ranger and a male halfling rogue, with promise to meet a female human wizard later on. They are named, though some discussion can be done to change an aspect or two if any of these NPC roles sound suitable to play.

Cassandra LeMay

I think I'd go for an original character instead of taking my inspiration from one of those NPCs.

I'm thinking about a good-aligned human fighter with a high DEX and a sharp-edged (+1 damage), perfectly weighed (precise trait) one-handed sword as a signature weapon. Not sure yet about the precise stats of the character, but I am a bit of a fan of the Witcher series so I thought I might try something like that and go with a swordfighter who relies mainly on speed and agility and may pick up a little bit of magic along the way at a later level.

Starting gear would be: dungeon rations, chainmail, adventuring gear, 2 healing potions, 22 coin, and the signature weapon. Given that I can't really afford a decent bow I'd probably spend some of that coin on a few throwing daggers, to give myself a ranged combat option.

Still not sure about the character's stats (except for the high DEX) so I'll have to come back to you about that (maybe tomorrow, i.e. in some 10 or 12 hours or so) and I could change things around a bit, if you have any suggestions we might discuss.

Think you could fit a character like that into the game?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Rish

I have a suggestion, if you are both willing to hear it. In the discussion we've had so far a deal friend of my Druid, the Wizard, had left on a journey to a very dangerous place.

My idea is thus: You begin your journey with the wizard, and later one, when I am meant to meet up with the wizard, we all do. This should allow us to continue and play without changing really much of anything. Though perhaps adding things that will be added into the world. Like the place you trained, where you are form.

I am actually quite willing to wait if you need the time to set this up with this character Wander.

wander

That's actually a great idea, Rish. That way things aren't interrupted with yourself and I can do a bit of set-up seperately with Cass if they want to play, before meeting up with yourself. Below is a map I made before I received your latest PM, each hex is a day's travel, to fit it all in. As you can see there's a lot of bare patches, though they're going to be filled in as we go, making a nice little bit of fantasy map as we go.

I've had a 'not-good' day today, which has killed my mood some, hopefully tomorrow I'll reply to your PM and get an IC thread started.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Rish on September 26, 2015, 01:50:24 PM
My idea is thus: You begin your journey with the wizard, and later one, when I am meant to meet up with the wizard, we all do. This should allow us to continue and play without changing really much of anything. Though perhaps adding things that will be added into the world. Like the place you trained, where you are form.
Sure. Works for me.  :-)

I still have to decide on a bit of background and a "play by" for my character, but I should be able to PM Wander something today, then we can take it from there - or I can post my character here. Wander? Any preferences? PM or post for my character sheet?

Quote from: wander on September 26, 2015, 07:58:52 PM
I've had a 'not-good' day today, which has killed my mood some, hopefully tomorrow I'll reply to your PM and get an IC thread started.
Just don't try to force things on our account, I'd say. If today turns out to be another bad day I think I can speak for both Rish and myself when I say you should just do what feels okay to you and not force yourself to do anything just because of us.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on September 27, 2015, 03:03:32 AM
Sure. Works for me.  :-)

I still have to decide on a bit of background and a "play by" for my character, but I should be able to PM Wander something today, then we can take it from there - or I can post my character here. Wander? Any preferences? PM or post for my character sheet?
Just don't try to force things on our account, I'd say. If today turns out to be another bad day I think I can speak for both Rish and myself when I say you should just do what feels okay to you and not force yourself to do anything just because of us.

Posting here may be a good option. I think if someone posts their character in the thread, others may feel they want to join in too. Bonds are for the following when you post them;

Thumper the Druid (Rish)
Dodge the halfling thief
Ysolde the human wizard
Celion the elf ranger

Having comp troubles this evening. Once they're sorted I'll have my pdf for a Monster Manual that I can convert to DW stattage (I know there are monsters in the corebook, though I like some of the less common things not in there and I'd like more variety in the things sent against you all) and we can kick off.

Cass, don't feel you need to start in any of the map bits already filled in, I'd actually pass 1xp for you to state a new place your own adventure starts in and more xp aside for other questions I'll have that you answer. You can easily kick off at enough xp for Level 2 before the game starts.

Rish

However, you will need to rest in camp to actually level up. I'm not sure if this is a feature in all the games or a homeruled one by Wander. So I felt the need to say it here. For us, and any that do not know the rules of Experience here to see if they've gained an interest themselves.

wander

Quote from: Rish on September 27, 2015, 07:33:47 PM
However, you will need to rest in camp to actually level up. I'm not sure if this is a feature in all the games or a homeruled one by Wander. So I felt the need to say it here. For us, and any that do not know the rules of Experience here to see if they've gained an interest themselves.

It's an actual game rule. It doesn't have to be a camp either, basically a Level Up is a thing that can be done pretty much whenever downtime in the space of hours or more happens. This is the exact quote from the corebook;

QuoteLevel Up
When you have downtime (hours or days) and XP equal to (or greater than) your current level+7, you can reflect on your experiences and hone your skills.
•Subtract your current level+7 from your XP.
•Increase your level by 1.
•Choose a new advanced move from your class.
•If you are the wizard, you also get to add a new spell to your spellbook.
•Choose one of your stats and increase it by 1 (this may change your modifier). Changing your Constitution increases your maximum and current HP. Ability scores can’t go higher than 18.

Cassandra LeMay

Allright, here's what I have so far:

Gar
Class: Fighter
Race: Human (once per battle reroll a single damage roll – yours or someone else's)
Alignment: Good (defend those weaker than you)
Look: Hard Eyes, unkempt hair and beard, calloused skin, lithe body

(Gar is actually a bit younger than he looks in this image, but it is the closest thing to what I have in mind for him.)

Stats:
STR 12
DEX 16 (+2)
CON 15 (+1)
INT 13 (+1)
WIS 9
CHA 8 (-1)
Maximum Hit Points: 10+CON = 25
Damage: 1d10
Load: STR+12 = 12

Moves:
Bend Bars, Lift Gates (roll+STR to destroy an inanimate object)
Armored (ignore clumsy tag on armor)
Signature Weapon: Gar's pride and joy is his meteoric iron sword, an unblemished, wide, single edged sword with a plain straight crossguard and a short spike protecting the wielder's hand. It does serve its wielder well at close range and is so perfectly weighted that it can be used for fencing maneuvers other swords of this size never could (has the precise tag). Being forged from meteoric iron does not only make this a sword that is not easily damaged and retains its unblemished sheen no matter the beating it takes, it also gives it a sharp edge that cuts easily through armor (+2 piercing).

Gear:
Signature weapon – see above (2 weight)
Leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight) – yes, the rules say the fighter starts with chainmail, but the game stats are the same and right now I don't picture Gar as someone favoring heavy armor.
Adventuring gear (1 weight)
2 healing potions
Dungeon rations, 5 uses (1 weight)
22 coin, 11 coin spent on spent on:
8 throwing daggers (8 coin, 0 weight)
more dungeon rations, 5 uses (1 weight)
Total weight: 6/12

The fighter known as Gar has only recently come to this area but is easily recognized by the design of his sword and black leather armor as a member of the Venati, an ancient group of fighters from the Shark Tooth mountains in the far west, fighters dedicated to the eradication of monsters – if the coin is right.

When his farm was overrun by monsters, Gar was taken in by a Slayer at a young age and trained in their ancient art of swordfighting, but also in monster lore and other knowledge needed to defend the weak. What he does lack are social graces and a certain amount of wisdom, sometimes charging in where angels fear to thread, once he made up his mind that a cause is worth fighting for. Gar is stoic and determined, difficult to dissuade from a path he has chosen. Gar does not give his word easily but stands by it.

Currently Gar is somewhere south west of the wizard capital, in the small village of Henrir's Crossing. This is a fairly average village that owes its existence primarily to the ford it is name after. While the ford means there are travelers and traders passing through the village more or less regularly, most of them just stay a night or two on their way to more prosperous locals so not much commerce actually happens in Henrir's Crossing. The village sits on the higher of the two riverbanks and is defended by a palisade that is sturdy enough to keep wild animals and a few bandits out, but wont help much against a large, determined force.

Bonds: I have sworn to protect Ysolde the wizard.
Celion, the ranger, owes me his life, even if he might not admit it, after I helped him fight off monsters during a recent chance encounter in the wilderness.
I have my doubts about Thumper's ability to survive in a dungeon. As a druid he might not be well-suited for underground adventures.
I am not sure about the morals of Dodge, the thief. I'll keep an eye on him till I am more certain about what kind of thief he is.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

One thing Cass, when you include Str for your Load, it's the character's modifier, not the full stat. Check p.49 of the corebook for the explanation. Basically when the stat is abbreviated to the three letter version, it means modifier when totalling something.

Note it lists to add Constitution (full stat) with HP, but Str, not Strength (modifier) when totalling max Load.

Otherwise all is good. :)

An update!

I have my Monster Manual, which means I can finally set up the starting encounter for Rish, which means an IC thread will be appearing tonight. :) I'll be making a new updated map for this.

When I've done that, I'll be PMing yourself Cass about character questions for starting xp going into the adventure. You may also pick one NPC from a character class to join you and Ysolde to meet up with Rish later. Of course the classes already taken are crossed off that list, though there are still a bunch to choose from. I'd lean on Bard for your third party member, though your choice at the end of the day. :)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: wander on September 28, 2015, 03:06:11 PM
One thing Cass, when you include Str for your Load, it's the character's modifier, not the full stat. Check p.49 of the corebook for the explanation. Basically when the stat is abbreviated to the three letter version, it means modifier when totalling something.
Okies. Edited the character sheet to correct that. Makes more sense that way, actually. I was, at one point, wondering a little about the high Load value I had, as I couldn't think of a situation where he could possibly come even close to carrying that much gear without a couple pairs of extra arms.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Rish

I have a question. Does armour really count for load when you're wearing it?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Rish on September 29, 2015, 04:43:21 AM
I have a question. Does armour really count for load when you're wearing it?
Dungeon World is very rules light so I am fairly certain it does not distinguish between armor carried and armor worn. It also explicitly states in the Armor description in the Gear section of the rulebook that: "Armor is heavy, difficult to wear and is damned uncomfortable..." so I'd say making armor heavy no matter the situation or use is intentional.

Also, DW tends to resolve some things that have distinct rules in other systems in one go, e.g. the way Strength does not modify damage and yet does, because it makes it easier to achieve an attack result that can deal more damage. The classes that are "heavy hitters" will use the Hack and Slash move more often than others, therefore making it more likely they have a good Strength. They are also the ones most likely to wear heavy armor, which means they will have a better Load, balancing the weight of the heavier armors and not putting them at a disadvantage. Not to mention that the people most likely to go for heavy armor (or can get armor as part of their starting gear) already have a higher Load to begin with. All things being equal, it balances out pretty well if armor always counts.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

New map!

One hex is around a day's ride, also to clarify, things aren't to scale, they just note where roughly in the map they are. Each hex is a good few miles in size anyway.

Also because I have updated the map, this means the IC thread is getting closer, perhaps today! ^^;

Rish

I'm a bit ill so I haven't been that responsive, sorry guys.

Acrazymage

Wander are you still recruiting? If so what classes are still unused? I don't want to step on anyone's toes after all. Would I be able to play with the group, or should I wait until I know if I am accepted or not?

wander

Still open for recruiting! ^^

I'm fine to accept unapproved people, the game will be held in Non-Adult after all. Now saying all this, I've yet to place the IC thread up, because I'm totally lazy and have been kinda exhausted recently... ^^;

That said, atm only Druid and Fighter are taken, I made NPCs for a Wizard, Ranger and Rogue, though really if you wanted one of those, you could take control of one. Perhaps by tomorrow I'll actually pull my finger out and get the game going, but please do feel free to talk about what character you'd like and let's get you involved and ready for when the game actually kicks off proper. :)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: wander on September 28, 2015, 03:06:11 PM
When I've done that, I'll be PMing yourself Cass about character questions for starting xp going into the adventure. You may also pick one NPC from a character class to join you and Ysolde to meet up with Rish later. ...
Wander, I think you fell silent before you could PM me those questions. If we are still gonna do this I wouldn't mind answering some questions for starting XP. (really, who would?)  ;D

So fire away, whenever you have the time and muse to come up with a questionnaire.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Acrazymage

I've downloaded a pdf of the players handbook, and I'd like to glance over it before I decide a character. I'll post tomorrow evening with a solid response! I'm definitely interested in joining the game, though.

Acrazymage

A day late, but I finally got to look through the player manual a bit. I'd definitely like to play a Human Wizard. I'll make the character sheet soon!

wander

Cool, things are slowly moving on... I'm pretty up to date with everything, I think tomorrow I may actually get a thread going... (He says... ^^;;)

Acrazymage

Name: Aldara
Race:  Human
Class: Wizard
Look: Sharp eyes, Wild Hair, Worn robes, and Thin body
Alignment: Neutral
Stats:
   Str: 11      Dex: 8   (-1)   Con: 9
   Int: 17   (+2)   Wis: 15 (+1)   Cha: 13 (+1)

That's the start (if it's okay) I've still not figured out what cleric spell I want.

wander

All is fine, crazymage, just edit the rest in to your post above and we'll sort things out to get gaming soon.

I finally sorted out what a day's travel would be (One Hex on the Map), which is apparently in D&D, around 30 miles, give or take. So that's what we'll go with. Map currently isn't to scale, though now I can sort that out depending on any comments given in. :)

Next... I'll open up an IC thread, mainly for Rish who has been waiting an age to get started. Then, I need to PM Cass with questions to offer starting xp and get context to start them off too. Then when you're done crazymage, I'll ask some things about Aldara too, that'll net you xp and also get you going into the proceedings and we'll be off. :)

Acrazymage

Modified!!

Name: Aldara

Race:  Human

Class: Wizard

Look: Sharp eyes, Wild Hair, Worn robes, and Thin body

Alignment: Neutral

Stats:
         HP's: 13/13
   Str: 11   (+0)   Dex: 8   (-1)   Con: 9 (+0)
   Int: 16   (+2)   Wis: 15 (+1)   Cha: 13 (+1)

Racial Beneficial Move:
     Cleric Spell: At your touch wounds scab and bones cease to ache. Heal an ally of 1d8 damage.

Moves:
Spellbook (1 weight)
Prepare Spells: Number of prepared spells is current level +1
Cast a Spell: When you release a spell you've prepared, roll+Int. On a 10+, the spell is successfully cast and you do not forget the spell.you may cast it again later. On a 7-9, the spell is cast, but choose one:
               â€¢ You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot (the GM will describe it)
               â€¢ The spell disturbs the fabric of reality as it is cast. --take -1 ongoing to Cast a spell until you Prepare Spells again.
               â€¢ After it is cast, the spell is forgotten. You cannot cast the spell again until you Prepare Spells.
Spell Defense: Craft an ongoing spell into a makeshift shield of arcane energy to deflect an attack, the spell is ended and you subtract the spell's level from the damage done to you.
Ritual: Draw on a place of power to create a magical effect.

Advanced Moves:

Cantrips:
Light
An item you touch glows with arcane light, about as bright as a torch. No heat or sound. Requires no fuel. You control the color of the flame. Spell last as long as it is in your presence.
Unseen Servant
Conjure a simple invisible construct that can only carry items. It has a Load 2 and carries anything you hand to it. Can't pick up items. Can only carry things you give it. If it takes damage or is separated from you, it is dispelled.
Prestidigitation
You perform minor tricks of true magic. If you touch an item as part of the casting you can make cosmetic changes to it: clean it, soil it, cool it, warm it, flavor it, or change its color. If you cast the spell without touching an item, you can instead create minor illusions no bigger than yourself. Prestidigitation illusions are crude and clearly illusions; they won't fool anyone, but they might entertain them.

Spells:
Magic Missile (Level 1 Evocation)
Projectiles of pure magic spring from your finger. 2D4 dmg to one target
Detect Magic (Level 1 Divination)
One of your senses is briefly attuned to magic.
Alarm
Walk a wide circle. Until you prepare spells again your magic will alert you if a creature crosses that circle. Even if you are asleep, the spell will shake you from your slumber.

Prepared spells:
Currently allowed: 2
Magic Missile
Detect Magic

Gear:
(Current Load = 7)
Coins: 0
Spellbook (1 Weight)
Dungeon Ration (1 Weight) (5 uses left)
Back of books (2 Weight) (5 uses left)
Staff (1 Weight) (Two-Handed Weapon) (Close range) (1d4 dmg)
Healing Potions (3)
Antitoxin (3)

Bonds:
Thumper the Druid will play an important role in the events to come. I have foreseen it!
Dodge the Halfling Thief is keeping an important secret from me.
Gar the Fighter is woefully misinformed about the world; I will teach them all that I can.
[/list]

wander

HP, which will be 13HP by my count. :)

Also your base damage will be 1d4 with your staff, if you so choose to melee with it.

Your load is also 7 plus the Strength modifier, not Strength as a whole. ^^

I'll check more in a while. :)

Acrazymage

Well I feel special now. I should have read deeper into that. I have fixed those mistakes in my sheet that I have on a document.

wander

Okay, so your Int should be 16, though the modifier is unchanged.

Also, antitoxins I believe don't need to have what they cure listed, they tend to just generally work on anything, so you can take the poisons listed off. Otherwise all looks well to me! (Don't forget to edit the profile above with what I mentioned!)

If you could also pick your Bonds, that'd be great, they're another way to net xp. :)

Current characters to choose Bonds with:

Thumper the Druid (Rish)
Gar the Fighter (Cassandra)
Celion the Elf Ranger
Dodge the Halfling Thief

Cassandra LeMay

Might be a good idea for Aldara to decide on prepared spells too.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

That's true, please pick two of the spells that you have which are prepared going into play, Aldara.

Also, please remove the 10 coins from your Gear, Wizards don't have coins from the get-go.

Acrazymage

Alright! I believe I have made all the adjustments. I hope the bonds are accurate I haven't gotten a chance to see the characters yet, but on a general sense I figured it would be a possible first observation. His two prepared spells has been given a spot under my current spells known section.

wander

Okay, you're good to go. :)

I'll PM you some questions about your character for some starting xp, add it to tomorrow's list of things to do. ^^
(congrats on approval btw)

Cass, I'll be writing up Gar's intro and add it into the IC thread, which I will link when it's all done.

Aldara, I'll let you know in PM when you're ready to post in IC.

wander

OOC thread here to continue discussions for approved players. :)

Thats Rish, Cassandra and Aldara all welcome to post there. ^^;

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=238819.0

Acrazymage

RubySlippers

Pardieu, The Holy Man
Human
Cleric

Ability Scores
Str 15  (+2)
Dex 9  (+0)
Con 13  (+1)
Int 8  (-1)
Wis 16  (+2)
Cha 12  (+0)

wander

Ah, a new recruit! ^^

Do you own Dungeon World, Ruby, or would you like some help in forming the rest of your Cleric?

RubySlippers

Yes I need help. if there is a choice of deities I would like ,to narrow this down, a Good one (as in Good) maybe a deity of some common man's popular faith. Example in the core DnD rules they have Pelor and in Forgotten Realms Lathander so a deity where he's walking around and his faith is largely well received except by villains.

wander

Because Dungeon World is very narrative and player controlled, you as the player get to have a say in the Deity your character worships. I usually ask prompting questions when I get the basics in, with starting xp as a reward. Anyway, here is what the corebook says about Deities in Cleric character generation:

QuoteDeity
You serve and worship some deity or power which grants you spells. Give your god a name (maybe Helferth, Sucellus, Zorica or Krugon the Bleak) and choose your deity’s domain:
•Healing and Restoration
•Bloody Conquest
•Civilization
•Knowledge and Hidden Things
•The Downtrodden and Forgotten
•What Lies Beneath

Choose one precept of your religion:
•Your religion preaches the sanctity of suffering, add Petition: Suffering
•Your religion is cultish and insular, add Petition: Gaining Secrets
•Your religion has important sacrificial rites, add Petition: Offering
•Your religion believes in trial by combat, add Petition: Personal Victory

These elements of your Deity when created are important when looking for Divine Guidance in-game;

QuoteDivine Guidance
When you petition your deity according to the precept of your religion, you are granted some useful knowledge or boon related to your deity’s domain. The GM will tell you what.

As for alignment, Cleric's get to choose between three, each giving you a different ability to get bonus xp in a session (gain 1xp whenever you perform the action listed under the alignment);

QuoteGood
Endanger yourself to heal another.

Lawful
Endanger yourself following the precepts of your church or god.

Evil
Harm another to prove the superiority of your church or god.

Let me know based on the above the alignment you wish to play and the basics about your chosen deity and we can fill in the rest of your sheet. :)

RubySlippers

Deity of Civilization
Precept: Personal Victory
Alignment: Lawful

The deity is The One a deity of civilization and its defense, development and innovation and in general all can fight but some are more scholarly and some promote something like a craft or trade or might operate a hospital. She's a fighting cleric willing to put her body into the horrors of violence to defend the faith and civilization with armor, shield and weapon.

wander

Okay, great.  :-)

Now choose a Look;

QuoteChoose one for each:

Kind Eyes, Sharp Eyes, or Sad Eyes

Tonsure, Strange Hair, or Bald

Flowing Robes, Habit, or Common Garb

Thin Body, Knobby Body, or Flabby Body

Your Max HP is 21.
Your base damage when using weapons is 1d6.

When you choose your Look, we'll look into which spells you'd like to start with. I'll list the Level 1 spells and you may choose two. As a Human, you'll also have access to Wizard spells, due to your diverse belief system. These I'll list also.

RubySlippers

Sharp Eyes
Bald
Habit
(screw the choices) Large Fit Body -think Little John in Robin Hood- (strength is 15 he's no wussy)

wander

That's cool. :)

I'll either post up the available spells later or tomorrow now, due to being late over here. Things should be rather quick now as the general basics are in place. I believe once we've sorted spells, you'll only need to choose your Gear and Bonds and you're ready.

May take a spell to get you involved though, I still owe a starting post for Cassandra and I also need to PM crazymage with prompting questions for his starting xp.

RubySlippers

I forgot to ask if clerics can wear armor, that's why I took Strength 15, to get good armor on him.

wander

Strength doesn't affect what armour you can have, it mainly just affects your encumberance and melee damage.

A Cleric may begin with Chainmail or carrying a Shield. They both protect the same amount, however a shield is a little heavier. However, choosing the shield allows you to gain an armour later and that will have a cumulative affect with the shield.

That said, you are free to mix your attributes about before starting if you think it may be better to be adept at a specific thing more than another before play starts for yourself.

RubySlippers

I know, I figure he will use the shield and try to always get better and heavier armor.  Hence Strength will matter.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 29, 2015, 07:49:22 PM
I know, I figure he will use the shield and try to always get better and heavier armor.  Hence Strength will matter.
Speaking of Strength, I believe your bonus should be +1, not +2.

But you get to increase an attribute by 1 every time you level up; shouldn't be long before you can increase your Strength to the +2 range.  :-)

(Sonia Sotomayor)

RubySlippers

Good, better for taking my mace and smashing enemies into their skull.  :D

Cassandra LeMay

You know, while we are talking about rules and attributes and whatnot I might as well take some load of Wander's shoulders. Most of what you have to decide for your character right now is just picking options from lists in the rulebook and I can quote them as well as Wander, I suppose.  ;D

Gear:
You can carry 11 weight. You start with Dungeon Rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
You also have a symbol of your deity that you need to describe (weight 0)

You have already decided on a shield for your armor. A shield weighs 2 (chainmail only 1, in case you want to change your mind because of the load).

Weapon: Your choice of (1) Warhammer, (2) Mace, (3) Staff & Bandages (Staff needs two hands, bandages are a one-use item that heals 4 hit points, all the weapons have the same weight (1). When it comes to attacks or damage they are all the same.)

Other equipment: You get either (1) Adventuring Gear and 5 more Dungeon Rations, or (2) a Healing Potion. The extra rations and adventuring gear each weigh 1, the healing potion weighs nothing. A healing potion heals 10 hit points. Adventuring Gear is a collection of useful, mundane items like maybe some chalk, rope, a torch, and so on. Every time you need something like that you can pull it out of your adventuring gear. It has 5 uses, before it's used up and needs replacing.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

RubySlippers

Shield   Wt. 2
Dungeon Rations  (10 Uses)   Wt. 2
Symbol of the One - a fire on a floor and roof  over it in a simple design -  Wt. 0
Mace  Wt. 1
Adventuring Gear  Wt. 1

Total Weight 6

Rish

Welcome to the game Ruby~ We're getting a proper party gathered up together here!

Edit: Just to let you guys know, choosing a picture for your character nets you 1 exp. And doing a backstory that helps shape the world also gives you more too. So don't forget to write a little something or choose some nice art~

wander

I've just left a notice in OOC to say I won't be running this game now.

I know my timing kind of sucks, though it was causing me stress and a headache getting everything to run smoothly, behind the scenes. I want to thank everyone for their interest and if anyone wants to take over as GM and keep this going, please feel free.

Take care.

Cassandra LeMay

:-(

You certain we can't convince you otherwise?

Just forget about the different starting locations and the NPCs, instead just take our PCs abd put them in front of a small dungeon. Maybe it could still be some good fun if we just "un-complicated" the set up?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

RubySlippers

Here is what I do the best tavern in their hamlet, which happens to be near some dungeon no one has yet explored and all the friends growing up decided to go in and seek the wealth within. There all ready to go ...

AndyZ

Still collecting people for this?  I love Dungeon World.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: AndyZ on October 31, 2015, 03:16:50 PM
Still collecting people for this?  I love Dungeon World.
Would you care to run a game? Wander dropped out as GM, I'm afraid.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

AndyZ

I can consider it, but don't really have any ideas for Dungeon World right now.

Remind me in a month or so.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.