Buffy the Vampire Slayer style roleplay; Background and interest check

Started by consortium11, March 24, 2013, 12:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

I'm willing to play the Watcher, but wanted to leave it open if someone else wanted it.  I would prefer that his ex be a PC, though.  Making his ex an NPC takes away a lot of potential conflict.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

RubySlippers

I have an idea your her only BF in her history and she dumped your character for your characters sister if he has one old enough.

eiselmann

HI Buffy is the absolute best thing they ever put on TV ...only issye I ever had with the tv series was Xander and Buffy never hooked up in any real way....that would have been awesome and given hope to many a geek like myself

Anyway I have a support character in mind but want to clarify one thing about him ...he's an expert in Krav Maga which means against mortals he'd be very tough to beat...against demons and other nasties ...he'd be able to help in a distracting one of the lesser foes sort of way (for a short while ...think Riley without the enhancements but with more inherent ability).

Too powerful?
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

Darwishi

Quote from: kckolbe on March 24, 2013, 10:37:59 PM
I'm willing to play the Watcher, but wanted to leave it open if someone else wanted it.  I would prefer that his ex be a PC, though.  Making his ex an NPC takes away a lot of potential conflict.

Oooh, I see.  That's cool with me.  Was just trying to work it in.  Soo, I'm just about settled on her...maybe an only child then, anyway looking to see if it's possible she started off on another Hellmouth or if she needs to have stayed in Fairhaven (Fairview?) since becoming a slayer.

consortium11

Quote from: eiselmann on March 24, 2013, 10:57:09 PM
HI Buffy is the absolute best thing they ever put on TV ...only issye I ever had with the tv series was Xander and Buffy never hooked up in any real way....that would have been awesome and given hope to many a geek like myself

Anyway I have a support character in mind but want to clarify one thing about him ...he's an expert in Krav Maga which means against mortals he'd be very tough to beat...against demons and other nasties ...he'd be able to help in a distracting one of the lesser foes sort of way (for a short while ...think Riley without the enhancements but with more inherent ability).

Too powerful?

Not an issue as long as it makes sense in terms of storyline; if he's an 18 year old kid who's been going to a Krav Maga class in a mall once a week for the last two years then it's not particular likely that he'd be destroying every mortal opponent in sight. In contrast if he's a Sayeret commando with years of experience then it makes sense for him to be that powerful.

Quote from: Darwishi on March 24, 2013, 10:57:48 PM
Oooh, I see.  That's cool with me.  Was just trying to work it in.  Soo, I'm just about settled on her...maybe an only child then, anyway looking to see if it's possible she started off on another Hellmouth or if she needs to have stayed in Fairhaven (Fairview?) since becoming a slayer.

My original thought was that she's moved to Fairview recently (and good spot on me cocking up the name already!) from somewhere else (could be another hellmouth or could simply be somewhere else.... Buffy moved to Sunnydale from LA if I recall correctly), but once again, it's up to you how you play it.

eiselmann

Quote from: consortium11 on March 25, 2013, 06:37:08 AM
Not an issue as long as it makes sense in terms of storyline; if he's an 18 year old kid who's been going to a Krav Maga class in a mall once a week for the last two years then it's not particular likely that he'd be destroying every mortal opponent in sight. In contrast if he's a Sayeret commando with years of experience then it makes sense for him to be that powerful.

My original thought was that she's moved to Fairview recently (and good spot on me cocking up the name already!) from somewhere else (could be another hellmouth or could simply be somewhere else.... Buffy moved to Sunnydale from LA if I recall correctly), but once again, it's up to you how you play it.

Well more that he's been taught since he was 5 by his grandfather who was in the IDF who learnt it form the chap that invented the martial art....he's not going to  rip up thru armies on his own but a couple of bikers going up against him would be surprised that their arms are bent funny.

against vamps and demons ..well over time he might be more of a help but initially at least he his value would be in keeping one occupied for a very short period of time (,seconds only ) until the slayer saves his proverbial

I'll do a bio and if he needs adjusting all good
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

consortium11

On the whole "fighting vampires" thing, over the course of the show most of the "average" cast members were able to at least hold their own with the generic bad guys of a given season, be they vampires, bringers or whatever those weird cultists Glory had were called. I don't expect to deviate too much from that in the roleplay. I'm not expecting a character with no real combat experience and/or powers to be able to beat up whatever the big bad at the time is but if there's a group melee going on they'll likely be able to hold their own and possibly even defeat a couple of mooks.

Jefepato

I had a character idea best summed up as "nerdy werewolf girl" but you seem to have a lot of folks in the game already.  I'd rather not overload things so if it'd be better for me to step off, that's fine.

Darwishi

Quote from: consortium11 on March 25, 2013, 06:37:08 AM

Oh sweet, that works well.

On the topic of Krav Maga, having actually taken it for two months (before I ran out of money) I can say if you learn the street version, it's pretty damn easy to pick up.  The biggest things are learning to control yourself during your adrenaline spiking, understanding that you are not likely to do some fancy move with your fingers without years and years and years of practice (or hit something really accurately with your foot).  Basically it's contained to broad gestures, controlling your instincts and fighting with your elbows, knees, below-the-knee kicks and with your hands in your opponents' face.  Your other big obstacle is being in shape enough to last through three minutes of fighting/running (not that a fight will necessarily last that long, but if it does you better be ready).

My instructor was an ex cop and would tell stories about guys high on PCP that took two to three grown men, over six feet tall to take down because the user couldn't feel pain.  So I dunno if that helps at all, heh. 

eiselmann

Agreed having done Krav Maga for a couple of years , you can learn it quickly but it takes a long time to master...also the 'street version' is what Simon will have been taught, without going into detail (which I don't really know anyway) my instructor is ex IDF and he has said that when he was doing what ever he was doing that anything longer than 30 seconds of fighting and your dead, the idea was to deal with your opponent as quickly as need be and move on ..after 13 years of being taught my character has the stamina to fight for minutes but won't have been taught to ..if you follow my meaning.

My ons and offs link

consortium11

Quote from: Jefepato on March 25, 2013, 09:16:10 AM
I had a character idea best summed up as "nerdy werewolf girl" but you seem to have a lot of folks in the game already.  I'd rather not overload things so if it'd be better for me to step off, that's fine.

A quick glance at the characters we have...

Scarlett (Slayer - Darwishi)
Erc (Possible Watcher/supporting character - kckolbe)
Fortula (Olympian's daughter/supporting character - RubySlippers)
Azorin (sort of antagonist - me)
Sam (supporting character - me)
Ashleigh (witch/supporting character - Kokaine)
eiselmann's currently unnamed character
Possibly xSnorkleRainbow's character

Now, perhaps I'm being over ambitious but that doesn't seem like a huge amount to me... the more the merrier I say  :D. If you're interested feel free to join in.

Darwishi

Quote from: eiselmann on March 25, 2013, 09:47:21 AM
Agreed having done Krav Maga for a couple of years , you can learn it quickly but it takes a long time to master...also the 'street version' is what Simon will have been taught, without going into detail (which I don't really know anyway) my instructor is ex IDF and he has said that when he was doing what ever he was doing that anything longer than 30 seconds of fighting and your dead, the idea was to deal with your opponent as quickly as need be and move on ..after 13 years of being taught my character has the stamina to fight for minutes but won't have been taught to ..if you follow my meaning.

Definitely, we were taught to end it within ten seconds.  I was more meaning if you have to fight more than one guy at a time or you know, sprint for three minutes straight.  My understanding is that there are typically "levels" of learning, and you don't learn knife or gun disarms until you're like level five...I learned it the second week I was there. Basically he stripped the classes down to a need-to-know kind of thing for your basic civilian or police officer.

Side note! I'm almost done with the profile.  Actually I guess if I don't go into detail on her powers I am done!

eiselmann

Name: Simon Eli Tobias
Date of Birth: June 12th 1994
Place of Birth: Atlanta ,Georgia
Known Relatives:
James Edward Tobias (father 50 Lawyer)
Rebekah Tobias (nee Eiselmann )(Mother 46 Consultant)
Katie Jone Tobias (Sister 12)
Elijah Ravid Eiselmann (Grandfather 74 currently on vacation in Tel Aviv retired IDF and various related occupations) 

Height: 6ft
Weight: 191 pounds
Hair: black
Eyes: brown
Usual Style/Clothes: Casual ..looks good in a suit according to his mother who can't understand why he doesn't make more effort.
Appearance:

Powers :Supernatural ...None, however he does have the ability to Read Hebrew and Arabic and has been doing Krav Maga since he was 5, having been taught by his grandfather who was a friend and colleague of  Imi Lichtenfeld the creator of the martial art.

Personality: Fairly laid back, calm under pressure, can come across as a little arrogant but tries not to be. He's loyal to his friends, always willing to help when he can. He falls for girls just a little too easily for his own good. Hates being late.

Favorite Quote: Whats the worst that could happen?

Quirks: When eating and when possible (like fries or peas, potato chips ) he eats them four at a time... he's no idea why , knows he's doing it and just can't help himself.

Hobbies: Loves football (soccer) both playing and watching, gaming , collects comics, Star Wars, reads anything by Tom Clancy and Raymond E Feist.

History: Simons parents met in Tel Aviv when his father worked for the State Department as a lawyer and his mother worked for Israeli Government as a public works consultant. They fell in love quickly but it took another three years for them to be married as his mothers commitments (in Particular) delayed the wedding.

Simon's father was from Georgia and that's where they settled after his father got a job working for the State Government, unfortunately a few people took issue with Rebekahs faith and while there were no incidents of note a few neighbours made her feel uncomfortable, when Simon was four his grandfather immigrating to the States, within a year the family had moved to Fairview, his father stated his own legal practice and his mother works from time to time for the State Government consulting on public works.

The family is well off but don't flaunt their money. Simon was a good student at high school doing well in Maths and History but for some reason hopeless at any sciences. He played soccer for the high school and was one of the better players, he also ran track for the school, the mile being his best event. Not overly popular with the alpha kids they nevertheless didn't mess with him when looking for targets(in his freshman year there was an incident with a line backer who was a senior ...it ended in tears and a screaming line backer) .

At College learning sports management much to the horror of his parents who were thinking law or medicine...or at least business.

My ons and offs link

kckolbe

So, my only major concern so far (and it is a purely selfish one) is that my character doesn't seem to appeal to any of the female chars we have so far.  He's the wrong age for two of them and the wrong gender for the other.

RubySlippers, I definitely like your offer, as your character is definitely the type he would be able to obsess over.  It is, after all, pretty difficult to find someone more appealing than the daughter of Aphrodite.  Also, since she and Scarlett are the same age (roughly), Eric's semi-stalking of her could be how he gets involved in Slaying, or he could meet Scarlett separately (if he is the Watcher) and then become reunited with Fortula through her.

How do you think Fortula would view Eric, and how would you see their past relationship?  If you want to discuss this stuff in PMs, feel free.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Darwishi

I think if he were in his mid twenties it could work as her being interested in her watcher eventually, but right now he seems a bit "old" to her. Nineteen was about as old as I could make Scarlett and have her still be discovering stuff about her abilities.

Also, Consort, what do you think (or anyone else for that matter) of Scarlett as she stands now? Concerns, questions, rude comments? =P

consortium11

Quote from: Darwishi on March 25, 2013, 03:50:40 PMAlso, Consort, what do you think (or anyone else for that matter) of Scarlett as she stands now? Concerns, questions, rude comments? =P

Like everything so far. No big issues leaping out for me.

It seems what "issues" there are relate to finding a possible partner for kckolbe's character. It seems the "two birds, one stone" approach would be to find a female character who is interested in 30 year old men and might be Scarlett's watcher as well(which would also bring Eric into the group).

It's also worth noting that depending on player preferences and how the story develops the fact that a character who is currently in their late teens and thus wouldn't have a 30+ year old ex-boyfriend doesn't mean that over the course of a story something wouldn't arise between her and Eric.

That said, if we've got anyone reading the thread, interested in joining and searching for inspiration then a late 20's/early 30's female character (or any female character interested in male characters that age) would be appreciated. Could be a lecturer at the college, grad student, owner of a business in the town etc etc.

kckolbe

I am completely willing to be the Watcher, just didn't want to call dibs on it in case someone else wanted.  If Eric were the Watcher, he might take some of his sexual frustration out on her by having her occasionally train naked or groping her while she is concentrating to test her focus.

I am willing to lose his PhD and make him a little younger if preferred, though I do kinda like his current appearance.

Intro Thread

consortium11

I guess it's a case of playing it by ear; if one or more compatible characters come in then hopefully everything is hunky dory... if not we might need to make some minor changes to make things better for you.

I'll edit in a request in the first post.

Darwishi

Just curious, but how many people do you plan on having join?  Was just thinking that in it's original cast there were really only three others that knew about Buffy being the slayer, Xander, Willow, and Giles.  Towards the latter seasons they each had significant others (save for Giles) that knew about the slayer.  Just wondering if you had a limit in mind or something.

I don't mind people joining, but eventually I start to wonder about post rotations and how often or not often a post will come around or are you planning on us splitting up after they all meet?  Heh, just trying to get a feel for what you have in mind.

consortium11

I actually didn't have a distinct number in mind. In moments of hubris I imagined a cast of dozens with virtually every "N"PC actually being played by someone (albeit with the understanding that they would appear and disappear from the story). In reality I think we're at about the right level now (with the space to easily incorporate more) so once we sort something out for Eric we can start things off and introduce new characters as and when needed.

On a side note and relating to the above point, does anyone know if the "one-off" character request thread is still going? A quick search hasn't found it yet

As a rule I was hoping to keep people together but as and when the story dictates they split up allow groups to form. I was going to go into more detail once the OOC thread is up but I was intending to keep the role-playing single thread (or at least each arc to one thread), with each post titled with a "Location - Woods" style thing to keep track; I generally find single threads easier to follow then multi-thread. That said I'm certainly not a fundamentalist on that point; if people would prefer it to be structured a different way I wouldn't object.

I'm certainly concious of the risk of slow posting hurting a game. I'm intending to allow a limited amount of god-modding/"NPCisation" of characters in situations where someone being unable to post holds up the whole game, with me "taking over" the character and doing the bare bones with them to keep the plot going. While having a larger cast leads to more risk of people being unable to post it also means that one player not posting is less likely to hold up the entire game.

On a technical note, I was intending to put the game in the EX-Small groups section, simply because it allows the most freedom for posting. That said I'm not intending for anything too extreme to happen and, as always, everything would be dependant on what each player is happy for their character(s) to experience.

Darwishi

Quote from: kckolbe on March 25, 2013, 04:13:26 PM
I am completely willing to be the Watcher, just didn't want to call dibs on it in case someone else wanted.  If Eric were the Watcher, he might take some of his sexual frustration out on her by having her occasionally train naked or groping her while she is concentrating to test her focus.

I am willing to lose his PhD and make him a little younger if preferred, though I do kinda like his current appearance.

As intriguing as naked or fondling training would be, and I've said this in PM, but I think it'd be a little far fetched.  Perhaps he fantasizes about it, or else has some pretty lucid dreams even though he may think of her as a little sister other times?  I'd much prefer an almost familial relationship between them for story purposes.

I don't know of a one-off thread, also are you saying after Jefepato posts a character we're good to go? I don't mean to push anyone out, I just thought it might be a good time to bring up the numbers game. 

Extreme Small Groups sounds good to me, definitely interested in what tentacle monsters could do with her, plus vampires and other ugly big monsters that could feasibly get the upperhand on Slayer or even "humans" that manage to conk her over the head and tie her up. 

consortium11

Quote from: Darwishi on March 25, 2013, 05:11:09 PM
also are you saying after Jefepato posts a character we're good to go? I don't mean to push anyone out, I just thought it might be a good time to bring up the numbers game.

As far as I'm aware both Jefepato and xSnorkleRainbow have expressed an interest in joining. That said, the opening scene is going to be a big party in the woods so it's easy for new characters to slide in; as such we can likely kick off and go from there. I'd like to have the situation with Eric sorted out before we start but that's the only really "issue" to be sorted.

Darwishi

KC and I are working on stuff for Eric in PM's.  Lots of brainstorming type things.

eiselmann

My ons and offs link

xPeachyPuff

I'm going to have to withdraw my interest I'm afraid. I just can't think of anything character-wise. I really love the idea and the Buffy/Angel Series, so I may follow along with you all. Hope this roleplay goes brilliantly (: ♥