If there was one illegal thing you would legalize...

Started by Cheka Man, April 22, 2010, 04:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheka Man

what would it be?

With me, it would be the relegalisation of firecrackers (only sellable for 10 days in November though, to stop them going off all the time.)

Huginn

Good question. I think I would take a step to fight the draconian laws over copyright. I think India took a great step in this regard and it seems an ideal to me.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/22/indias-copyright-bil.html

Jude

Vekseid

I'd go for intangible patents (software patents, 'business method' patents, story patents, genetic patents, and other such BS) before copyright reform, personally. While our current copyright system is horribly broken, it's not (yet) quite as disruptive as our broken patent system.

Mathim

Any laws that have to do with obscenity/censorship in any way, shape or form.

'Cause I'm seriously pissed about South Park's latest episode getting censored and banned by the perceived threat of fanatical Muslim terrorists.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Sabby

I'd second that. They took 'being cautious' with depicting Muhammad to an unreal extreme for comedic effect, and still there's an outcry. Its rediculous.

Mathim

Amen to that. It looks like the terrorists have officially won.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Brandon

If anything south park should have tried to push it through, leaving it to the network to decide whether to show it or not. Also, interestingly, theres an older unedited episode of south park that showed Muhammid. It was the one with the Jesus pals (Super friends only the members were of religious figures) and I dont think its ever been talked about

I dont even understand why there seems to be this ban on showing Muhammid in any light. I dont suppose someone can explain that to me?

Edit: Also we should all call for it to be aired and by extension show the extremists that we wont be intimidated
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Mathim

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2010, 08:00:40 PM
If anything south park should have tried to push it through, leaving it to the network to decide whether to show it or not. Also, interestingly, theres an older unedited episode of south park that showed Muhammid. It was the one with the Jesus pals (Super friends only the members were of religious figures) and I dont think its ever been talked about

I dont even understand why there seems to be this ban on showing Muhammid in any light. I dont suppose someone can explain that to me?

Edit: Also we should all call for it to be aired and by extension show the extremists that we wont be intimidated

The banned episode contained the Super Best Friends from that past episode you mentioned, but the image of Muhammad was censored. As for why it's taboo (at least nowadays) to show Muhammad...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Jyllands-Posten_cartoons_controversy

And no one is willing to take the risk to piss of potential terrorists. It is absolutely disgusting that a few people have managed to vilify an entire religion and everyone who follows it.

BTW, my bad on accidentally hijacking this thread. I'm just frustrated because of the above travesty of violating freedom of speech, and that I don't have any roleplays at the moment to engage me intellectually.

Vekseid

Quote from: Mathim on April 22, 2010, 07:40:29 PM
Any laws that have to do with obscenity/censorship in any way, shape or form.

'Cause I'm seriously pissed about South Park's latest episode getting censored and banned by the perceived threat of fanatical Muslim terrorists.

That has nothing to do with being illegal and Comedy Central just being cowards.

Sabby

Brandy, the same points have been named many times on the show. Cartoon Wars, where the joke originated, stated that showing the image would be supporting free speech and that the censorship was showing Terrorists that we would bow to intimidation.

In 200, Stan does point out that he saw Muhammad, but is met with an outcry, and then finds that he has indeed been replaced by a black censor bar on The Super Best Friends.

The plot revolves around celebrities like Tom Cruise pressuring South Park into providing them with Muhammad, so they they can steal his ability to completely avoid ridicule, and most of the comedy is the discussions of what is and is not an appropriate way to do this...

They eventually settle on having him in a windowless van, but when you hear a small, meek word from within, there's a collective, unsettled shuffling. "Ooohh, is that okay?"

Uhm, we should take this into a new thread. Maybe a nice Mod could split the South Park issue? :)

Mathim

As I had kind of hinted at, it was not my intention to have that happen but it seemed to get away from me there.

Brandon

Ah, I was under the impression that it was a new episode, not the old one.

Anyway, I think you misunderstood me. I remember the danish cartoons. What I dont understand is why the Muslim faith disagrees with any representation of Muhammid anywhere. Whether its positive or not

I also agree, a new thread might be best for this discussion
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Jude

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2010, 08:17:11 PM
Ah, I was under the impression that it was a new episode, not the old one.

Anyway, I think you misunderstood me. I remember the danish cartoons. What I dont understand is why the Muslim faith disagrees with any representation of Muhammid anywhere. Whether its positive or not

I also agree, a new thread might be best for this discussion
Graven images of Allah or Mohammud are prohibited in Islam.  Shirk, I think it's called.

Stan'

One free kill.  Restricted to untalented, undeserving, attention-seeking "celebrities".

Plenty of choice then.

HockeyGod

gay marriage

Brandon

Trieste

Yes, although it has been legalized only through legislature and not yet through a popular vote. Every state that's brought it to referendum has voted it down, so.

Alx, that image dun' work.

GeekFury

Cannabis, it's actually been medicaly proven here in the UK to be less harmful than alchahol and ciggerets.

Stan'

These "medically proven" reports are always uncertain.

After all, how many times have we heard that certain foods are good for you one minute, then extremely harmful and cancerous the next?

Chelemar

The ban on gay marriage.

Yes, there are a limited few states that allow gays to marry.  Now, if only we all lived in those states.  :)

Though really, erm no.  I love where I love.  I don't wanna move to Boston, I never learned out to spell massachuchetess.  See!

I can't even pronounce it.  Not that it's not a perfectly wonderful and lovely state.  It's just not mine. 

I want to be married to my honey here, and when we visit her relatives in California and in every darned state in between.  And when we are old and grey, I want her to be the one to say,
Quotepull the dang plug already,
not some "family" member who doesn't know my real wishes from dogswaddle cause a hospital's lawyers says "gotta go with what the nearest living relative says." 

Cause I get achingly tired of having people who don't quite know what they are talking about say,  "Oh well, you are together sure, but you aren't like a husband and wife would be... well you know.  YOU KNOW come on?  Right?" 

What, we don't pay our taxes? car insurance, house payment, buy groceries, cook dinner, worry about our parents getting older, get pissed because we cant buy freeking auto insurance together on the same policy?  That if one more WOMAN moves into our house that isn't related, we could get into trouble cause they have "NO BROTHEL" LAWS.  OK, that's my reasons... just a few.

Maybe I need to snip this and move it to  why I get pissed....>.>

RubySlippers

Squatting, I think its just wrong to have all these empty and unused buildings that could provide shelter and those that are homeless or poor that could use the space to be a bit more comfortable.

Jude

Quote from: Stan' on April 23, 2010, 12:12:26 PM
These "medically proven" reports are always uncertain.

After all, how many times have we heard that certain foods are good for you one minute, then extremely harmful and cancerous the next?
Conflicting information there usually comes from poor journalism, not poor science.  A particular study will indicate a possible link, then journalists act like it's a new discovery and sound the foghorn of progress.  The problem with that is, one study by itself proves nothing, one of the key components of a good scientific study is reproducibility.  Without that, the particular effect observed could merely be chalked up to chance.

This poor trend of science reporting has brought us such falsehoods as Mozart Baby Tapes and the intellectual link between Music and Math.

As far as the Marijuana thing goes, it's been proven numerous times, it's basically a scientific fact.

Hemingway

There are lots of things I could go with, such as legalizing drugs. But considering that could conceivably happen without magical intervention, it'd be like getting a free wish, and wishing for a car. It's a waste. I think I'd have to go with theft instead, or something similar that would really rock the foundations of society, and have all kinds of unexpected consequences. Who knows what would happen, aside from ... things being stolen, all the time?

Neroon

Quote from: Cheka Man on April 22, 2010, 04:38:17 PM
what would it be?

With me, it would be the relegalisation of firecrackers (only sellable for 10 days in November though, to stop them going off all the time.)

Actually you can buy them at anytime, however, most shops are only licensed to sell them at certain times of the year.  It's only category 4 fireworks that you can't buy and those are the ones used in professional displays.

Quote from: GeekFury on April 23, 2010, 09:18:19 AM
Cannabis, it's actually been medicaly proven here in the UK to be less harmful than alchahol and ciggerets.

While I might agree that cannabis is less harmful than alcohol, I must take issue with it being less harmful than cigarettes.  The cannabis sold in the UK for smoking has such a high ignition temperature that it is mixed with tobacco to make it smokable.  Therefore, if you're smoking cannabis, you're also smoking tobacco with all of the health risks that entails.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy