News:

Main Menu

Best non-anime cartoon

Started by Armand, October 06, 2012, 06:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Quote from: Arohk on October 07, 2012, 08:14:53 PM
Are you kidding? SatAM is amazing! Even watching it as an adult it makes me happy. Of course some of the jokes are outdated, but the darker undertones always was great. I remember watching it when it came out and was SO sad when they canceled it!

I've always been a fan! :D

I know! They ended the show on such a cliffhanger too! But given some of what Ben Hurst (RIP) shared with his ideas for season 3, I am wondering if it might have been better off ending it where it did before things went too out in left field.

Do you read the SATAM s3 comic? They do a pretty decent job picking up where the show left off.

“In your life, you meet people. Some you never think about again. Some, you wonder what happened to them. There are some that you wonder if they ever think about you. And then there are some you wish you never had to think about again. But you do.” - Unknown

On's and Off's!

Currently NOT taking on new roleplays!

Chris Brady

Quote from: TentacleFan on October 07, 2012, 09:02:40 PM
I feel the Spider-Man cartoons were often overshadowed by the Timm-verse animations of the time but not that they weren't deserving of attention themselves. I haven't really been as big a fan of the DC animation since they got away from the Bruce Timm designed work myself. (Not counting the Teen Titans, I did enjoy that show) I also feel that the Avengers : Earth's Mightiest Heroes holds up with any of those shows as far as quality and storytelling myself.

Bear in mind, I am not saying the Marvel Cartoons sucked, in fact, quite a few were awesome.  But the DC stuff had traction, and brand recognition, which meant when someone mentions a Batman, or Justice League cartoon, there's a certain type of quality to expect.  Not so with the Marvel ones.  Although I've heard that the Avenger's cartoon is getting cancelled.  I hope not, cuz I LIKED it.  Of course, it was aiming for a demographic not usually touched by Disney:  The 14 to 24 crowd.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ReijiTabibito

Oh, I agree.  If you sat me down and asked me to watch an average episode of Spider-Man, X-Men, or Batman TAS, I'd be prone to choose the Batman episode.  IMO, the general writing quality of the series was better than that of its Marvel counterparts.  So much so that, more than Michael Keaton or Christian Bale, I consider Kevin Conroy the real Batman.  Accept no substitutes.

Unless you want camp, then Adam West is king.

Shjade

Quote from: TentacleFan on October 07, 2012, 11:14:47 AM
Batman : The Animated Series - Haven't met too many who don't like this one really. It has some stinker episodes (The one where Bruce gets amnesia was particularly atrocious.) But it also has some episodes that are among my favorite of all time. In particular the one where the villains are gathered around a table each telling their how they got Batman but he got away stories. It also gave us Harley as a character. And made characters like Mr Freeze interesting in a way they never had been before.

On that note, and for folks like Rick who perhaps haven't seen much of the series to get a taste for it, here are The Nostalgia Critic's choices for top 11 Batman:TAS episodes. I don't know that I necessarily agree with his choices, but there are a lot of good ones on the list.

He also has a commentary episode, but eh, it's not exactly informative about the show.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mr Self Destruct

Batman Beyond was pretty nifty, especially when they linked the future Bruce Wayne in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon for an episode or two that involved a futuristic Justice League.  Fanboy awesomeness.  ;D

ReijiTabibito

I actually took a look at that NC episode.  I agree with some of the choices: Gray Ghost, Trial, Almost Got 'Im.  Some of the others I haven't seen, so I don't know.

I will say that I disagree with the NC's best episode choice, however.  Heart of Ice will always be the best TAS ep.  Took Mr Freeze, a villain with a simple gimmick, and turned him into a highly sympathetic and tragic figure.

Mr Self Destruct

Agreed.  The writers did a terrific job with making Mr. Freeze a very believable villain, especially considering he's got one of those glass clock covers for a helmet lol

ReijiTabibito

I would actually argue, DC, that Freeze is a more believable villain now than he was when the episode was penned and shown in 1992.  Evil corporate exec that doesn't give a damn about anything but money?  Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis that the sound of the 2008 financial crisis I hear?

Mr Self Destruct

They did the same thing with the original rendition of Clayface, as well.  That's another classic episode of TES that introduces the Dagget Corporation and their miracle face cream.  I thought that was pretty well done, too, if a little on the cheesy side with some of the melodrama.

TentacleFan

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on October 07, 2012, 10:29:13 PM
I actually took a look at that NC episode.  I agree with some of the choices: Gray Ghost, Trial, Almost Got 'Im.  Some of the others I haven't seen, so I don't know.

I will say that I disagree with the NC's best episode choice, however.  Heart of Ice will always be the best TAS ep.  Took Mr Freeze, a villain with a simple gimmick, and turned him into a highly sympathetic and tragic figure.

I checked it out as well. Some good choices. I wouldn't put Baby Doll so high myself even if it was a good episode. I do think what they did with Mr Freeze, along with the creation of Harley, was one of the great legacies of the show. I found the Two-Face story, woven through several episodes before he even becomes Two-Face was very emotional and well done as well.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

Shjade

I'm trying to remember what my favorite was back in the day, but all I can recall is it was centered around the Joker...hm...maybe some Google-fu will jog my memory...

I think it was Joker's Favor.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sel Nar

If we're talking good animation that isn't anime, check out Cybersix. Only had 13 episodes made (at a rather hefty pricetag of 1 million per, which is why only 13 episodes were made), but definitely worth it. Lots of mature themes and character development going on in that time, and the comic book it's based off of (argentinian origin) has been going on for a somewhat hefty amount of time. Definitely needs more Love though, even if the show tried to kiddifiy the show with more 'monster of the week' stuff.

Still, when the main character's creator is a nazi mad scientist who considers things like '6000 rebellious supersoldiers' to be 'worth exterminating' without so much as a blink of the eye? Yeah. Show was on in 1999 on Teletoon canada, went into reruns until 2003 or so. You can prolly find full rips online somewhere.

Chris Brady

Cyber Six!  Man, another good one.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Gadifriald

Waiting for the AC to cool down the upstairs so I can sleep and I remembered another one of my all time favorites! The Tick!

Spoon!

SSSSSSSSPPPPPPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
;D
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Sasquatch421

The newest stuff I liked would have to be Wolverine and the X-Men along with Avatar: The Last Airbender. I was watching the Thundercats remake for a bit as well, before CN shuffled it off to a new time slot.... Otherwise....

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
Gargoyles
The Original Transformers
M.A.S.K
Thundercats
Wild C.A.T.S(not as good as the comics, but oh well)
X-Men
The Original Ghostbusters
He-Man
She-Ra
C.O.W.boys of Moo Mesa
Pro-Stars
Darkwing Duck
The Mighty Ducks
G.I. Joe
Beetlejuice
Dungeons and Dragons
Jem
Pound Puppies
Superfriends
The sometimes Captain N: The Game Master

VonDoom

Gargoyles
Batman: TAS
Batman Beyond
Spectacular Spider-Man
Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated
TMNT (the 2003-2009 one)
Pinky and the Brain
Freakazoid!

... does Transformers Prime count? Only Transformers series I've ever seen, but utterly brilliant.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Mr Self Destruct

Transformers: Beast Wars was another favorite.

beast wars season 1 opening

And I'll always be a fan of Eek the Cat lol

eekintro

Sasquatch421

I never could get into Beast Wars for some reason.... I do still have the game for the PS1 though. Though saying Eek does remind me off Felix and Heathcliff now. Always was a Garfield fan as well...

Arohk

Ohmaigawd, Mobius. I did read it! I have never met anyone else who has. :O I do like where they took it. I just wish it could have seen the light of day in animation.

Beast Wars! I loved Beast Wars! It was my favorite of the whole Transformers series. Which also leads me to remember ReBoot. I loved ReBoot too! Doesn't hold up well today, but I loved the humor in the entire thing. The winks. The plot. It was a great show.

VonDoom

Not to mention Tony Jay's excellent performance as Megabyte.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Chris Brady

Quote from: VonDoom on October 08, 2012, 01:14:02 PM
Not to mention Tony Jay's excellent performance as Megabyte.
May he rest in peace.

Lilias

Quote from: Arohk on October 07, 2012, 10:55:21 AM
Glad someone other than myself mentioned Daria! :D

But of course! There is some heartache for what MTV used to be involved in the equation, but it's mostly a case of me being in the second half of my 20s while it aired, and working my high school hangups out of my system with its help. ;D
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Armand

Thanks everyone for turning 10 years old again on my post lol glad you enjoyed re living classic childhood moments.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Armand on October 08, 2012, 05:07:43 PM
Thanks everyone for turning 10 years old again on my post lol glad you enjoyed re living classic childhood moments.

Turning 10? According to my mom I'm a 10 year old living in a 33 year old body....

And while on the topic of MTV animation..... Aeon Flux and The Maxx..... 'nuff said.