Stargate Meets Firefly

Started by Cyclops, December 01, 2009, 12:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkDaemon

I think the firefly rpg link is broken.
I will have limited access 12/22 through 1/1.
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

ShamshielDF

I tested both of them again and they work for me...I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

ChaNeko

Not to be argumentative, ShamshielDF, but I am consistently redirected to another site when I try to use http://www.fireflyrpg.com/rpg/index.html myself.  For example - http://fireflyrpg.com/?f5ba8748fda76a37d6ee55a561db567a=325467165&6fa970d50480e816942b6fab7c4e7a23=506683626&5f17a83ba43604eb3d1c06f73d82e119=633965174736775843 comes up instead.

I love the http://www.fireflywiki.org/ site though, thank you so much!

My stowaway is getting her profile built now, just looking for an appropriate pic.
ChaNeko

ShamshielDF

Oh, how awesome is that!

So, it was working yesterday.  It is working for me.  Sort of.  Because FF was pulling the local cached copy.  IE freaks out and goes to a godaddy ad.

This, boys and girls, is why we use real domain name registrars.  Because then your site simply ceases to exist rather than being a spamvertisement for someone.

I did a whois on godaddy and found that the DNS registration ran out.  12/14/09.  So...it really did work...until yesterday night/early this morning.  Amusingly, the owner used his real contact information and lives about an hour away from here...I might have to call him tomorrow and tell him his domain is down ^_^
Ons and offs!
A&A

ChaNeko

Hee hee hee, that is awesome.  Thanks for the update.

Here she is, folks, all gorram tightlipped much of her that my little stowaway is willing to tell about:

NameCherish… no other name given.
Race:  Caucasian  (the only thing she couldn’t change about herself)
Home:  Greenleaf?  Londinium?  With that upper-crust accent, she might as well have been born Alliance.

Description:  Standing 5’ 3”, she blossomed early, her curves difficult to disguise under work wear.  With naturally sun-blond hair, she dyes it reddish-auburn, trying to tone down the notable color of her curling locks.  Constantly looking into her ‘encyclopedia’, she is most often found with her dark expressive eyes turned to her screen, absorbing media and info by the halcyon light.  Those that observe her long enough will eventually find her tapping away with any makeshift stylus – working problems, learning about history and cultures, studying languages, translating… watching the news.

Background: Preferring the company of her studies to that of her peers, she dreamt of explorations, adventure and exciting new cultures, wanting to travel and visit many planets and moons before settling to her assumed duties as wife and broodmare.  Eschewing the rigors of her conservative upbringing, this young thing has ‘jumped ship’ and started on a new wayfaring life… at least until all her tradable goods ran dry.  Falling on hard times might not mean the same thing for someone with biddable skills, but she is of a cheery disposition and graceful naïveté that just screams gullibility.

Technology:  The one item she carries that is more precious to her than her freedom is her constant companion, a custom designed vid box encyclopedia.  Specially reprogrammed, this device is one of a kind and would sell well among those interested in reverse engineering.  Keeping her secrets to herself is not her only skill.  “eNCy” (as she refers to the vid box) houses a super program built for her personal level of skill in translation and identification of languages.  Acting as a microphone and recorder, this box is constantly hashing out new words and phrases for its creator, cataloguing the sounds and creating a database of information to be redefined later when the opportunity is available.  Otherwise, it looks like any teenager’s entertainment box with streaming music and news as the default setting.  Having taken pains to ensure her personally outfitted technology does not fall into the wrong hands, there is a dead man switch installed, her D.N.A. necessary for the program’s activation.

Additionally, she houses a tiny ear bud in her left ear canal, able to pick up the nuances of the recorder’s softest setting by years of practice.  Thus she can leave eNCy in another room and listen to the conversations immediately, or if distracted, listen to the recordings later under other circumstances.

She is (or would be, if left uninterrupted with the right equipment) working on a body port – something that would allow her to wear the next generation of her device as a small port in her wrist or behind her ear, able to jack in to release the data to another system when desired.  The difficulty (beyond miniaturization, insertion and degradation of the device within the human body, and access for the replacement of the multiyear fuel cell) continues to be compatibility with the physical body’s need for a blood flow… “Stupid warm-blooded bodies… how do I get around the overheating problem when I can’t include a heat sink?

Ryhana

OOooo Feel I have to share this....its meant mostly for MUSH or a MUD but I think it still has some good info as well I think >.>

http://www.serenitymush.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I'll get my character bio typed up real quick here ^_^

Cyclops

Quote from: ChaNeko on December 16, 2009, 01:38:07 AM
Background: Preferring the company of her studies to that of her peers, she dreamt of explorations, adventure and exciting new cultures, wanting to travel and visit many planets and moons before settling to her assumed duties as wife and broodmare.  Eschewing the rigors of her conservative upbringing, this young thing has ‘jumped ship’ and started on a new wayfaring life… at least until all her tradable goods ran dry.  Falling on hard times might not mean the same thing for someone with biddable skills, but she is of a cheery disposition and graceful naïveté that just screams gullibility.

Technology:  The one item she carries that is more precious to her than her freedom is her constant companion, a custom designed vid box encyclopedia.  Specially reprogrammed, this device is one of a kind and would sell well among those interested in reverse engineering.  Keeping her secrets to herself is not her only skill.  “eNCy” (as she refers to the vid box) houses a super program built for her personal level of skill in translation and identification of languages.  Acting as a microphone and recorder, this box is constantly hashing out new words and phrases for its creator, cataloguing the sounds and creating a database of information to be redefined later when the opportunity is available.  Otherwise, it looks like any teenager’s entertainment box with streaming music and news as the default setting.  Having taken pains to ensure her personally outfitted technology does not fall into the wrong hands, there is a dead man switch installed, her D.N.A. necessary for the program’s activation.

Additionally, she houses a tiny ear bud in her left ear canal, able to pick up the nuances of the recorder’s softest setting by years of practice.  Thus she can leave eNCy in another room and listen to the conversations immediately, or if distracted, listen to the recordings later under other circumstances.

She is (or would be, if left uninterrupted with the right equipment) working on a body port – something that would allow her to wear the next generation of her device as a small port in her wrist or behind her ear, able to jack in to release the data to another system when desired.  The difficulty (beyond miniaturization, insertion and degradation of the device within the human body, and access for the replacement of the multiyear fuel cell) continues to be compatibility with the physical body’s need for a blood flow… “Stupid warm-blooded bodies… how do I get around the overheating problem when I can’t include a heat sink?

A couple notes...

You put in your basic info that she could be from the Alliance, etc...  She doesn't know where she is from?  Why not?  Has she forgotten, orphaned, doesn't know hew parents, there could be a gaggle of different reasons but it seems to be an important note.

Next, where would she gain the ability to do such an incredible job of custom programming and hardware outfitting on the 'encyclopedia'?  I would like to explore the possibility of it perhaps being her fathers, or some other mentor type person who perhaps isn't around anymore.  Without an incredibly potent reason to be so good in computer science and cybernetics at such a young age, I would think she would have to get the technology elsewhere and just build on it.

Just some thoughts.

Excellent links to the Firefly RPG information, I'm sure it will come in incredibly handy!
Remember the words of the High Lord Mhoram...  "It takes strength to judge the weakness of others, I am not so mighty."

Ryhana

Okey typing up character now...so expect that in a few minutes to an hour....but I just remembered this...its kind of helpful...but I mention it because I know how the Firefly Universe is culturally...and when RPing things in the past Firefly or even writing or other Rping I've found this kinda helpful:

http://www.chinese-tools.com/

Ryhana

Character!

Name: Meifeng Kuai, Mei for short.

Birthplace: The Lily Dragon, Merchant Vessel operating out of Sihnon.

Description: A girl of Asian Decent, Her hair black with two dark purple streaks died in, her brown eyes twinkling with excitement! She stands about 5'2" and is of a very slim and petite build.

History: She was born in space, she lived in space, she loved it. Her family owned and operated a Merchant Hauler that took supplies from the core worlds to the border worlds to help people, or at least the people the alliance told them to help. She never really knew much about her Parent's Home world of Sihnon except for what she saw the few times they docked there for a day or so. Sometimes they took on passengers, but mostly not. It wasn't that they weren't friendly or nice people...they had just been bitten before in the past with one of the passengers they took on being a scout for Raiders. They had bought the new ship shortly before Meifeng was born. Meifeng grew up learning the Merchant's way of life, mostly taking an interest in Haggling and Bartering. She soon picked up that even outside of the Markets a quick wit and a quicker tongue could get you places, and get you out of hard places. At the age of 14 she was seduced away from her family by the thrill of adventure that the Border World crews offered, be they raiders, smugglers, or scavengers. So she sneaked away from her family and on board a smuggler's vessel. She didn't convince that crew to keep her when they found her, though she did impress the Captain enough to keep from being sent out the airlock, she did find a home in the Crew of the Dancing Glimmer, a part-time smuggler ship part-time raider crew, when she was 17. She is always vague about her time between being plopped on a border world alone by the first crew and her joining of the second, though it seems if she had done time as a thief, as she has decent knowledge of good fences and black market operators around the verse.

Weapon of Choice: Knives, of varying lengths and sizes. She never learned to fire a gun and never cared to learn, besides in her mind with the situations she mostly gets in a quick slice with a hidden blade is better than any fast draw with a gun from a holster.

Clothing in general: Depending on what situation she expects to get in she wears practical clothing like heavy cloth cargo pants, and Jacket for out in the field work, where fighting and running might be required. But on the more Peaceful worlds and situations she tends to dress in nicer dresses and skirts with frilly tops. She's always gotten slightly strange looks from her crew for her fondness of nicer clothes for someone many of them presume was raised on the Border worlds.

ChaNeko

Quote from: titanshadow on December 18, 2009, 05:16:49 PM
You put in your basic info that she could be from the Alliance, etc...  She doesn't know where she is from?  Why not?  Has she forgotten, orphaned, doesn't know hew parents, there could be a gaggle of different reasons but it seems to be an important note.

She knows very well where she is from and why she is far away from there.  She's simply not telling.  This is everything that her discoverers might find out about her on their first meeting.  There will be opportunities for more to be revealed of course, once she is introduced in the story.

If this is not the way you would care for me to describe my character's background, I can provide full disclosure... I just figured that the more reluctant she is to share about herself, the more time there can be for 'convincing' by the crew members for her to talk.

Cyclops

Quote from: ChaNeko on December 20, 2009, 12:06:04 AM
She knows very well where she is from and why she is far away from there.  She's simply not telling.  This is everything that her discoverers might find out about her on their first meeting.  There will be opportunities for more to be revealed of course, once she is introduced in the story.

If this is not the way you would care for me to describe my character's background, I can provide full disclosure... I just figured that the more reluctant she is to share about herself, the more time there can be for 'convincing' by the crew members for her to talk.

I would prefer full disclosure in the sense of this pre-game out of character setting, how she deals with things in character and in game is fully up to you.  It helps with story and plot ideas to have no surprises on character backgrounds for me when I'm coming up with the story arc.

Thank you. :)

Quote from: Ryhana on December 19, 2009, 12:21:50 PM
Character!

Name: Meifeng Kuai, Mei for short.

Birthplace: The Lily Dragon, Merchant Vessel operating out of Sihnon.

Description: A girl of Asian Decent, Her hair black with two dark purple streaks died in, her brown eyes twinkling with excitement! She stands about 5'2" and is of a very slim and petite build.

Excellent...  Good thing she found an honorable captain out there at such a young age, I think she will fit in very well!

Given her history, I think she will make a good post-Erickson hustler for the group, so I'm going to put her in that slot on the roster.
Remember the words of the High Lord Mhoram...  "It takes strength to judge the weakness of others, I am not so mighty."

Cyclops

RoleNamePlayer
CaptainUnknownTitanShadow
PilotNathaniel DeLamarDarkDemon
FighterUnknownJazzturbation
EngineerUnknownShamishielDF
TraitorEricksonDarkDemon
HustlerMeifeng KuaiRyhana
DoctorUnknownKitrazzle

Ryhana

Thanks!

Though I have to say that There is one thing in her personality that got her marooned that if it tends to come up too much...might get annoying IC to the crew >.>

I was mostly going to bring this up in the Intro post, which I was going to do the whole Marooning thingy for her...but I'm going to mention this here...When talking about people, especially people that might have a reason to pull out their guns and shoot first at her, when she says "oh! They love me!" She's probably not telling the full truth.....

Oh!!!

And I had a thought I kinda thought would be a little interesting or something...dunno how well it would work...but here goes!! Since her old crew were raiders of sorts...sometimes...And the fact that the PC crew is being marooned on the same planet, I was thinking that Members of Mei's old crew working with Erickson...

Now I could see it as for whatever reason the crew of The Dancing Glimmer having disbanded with some of the members teaming up with Erickson or the Crew taking Erickson on to replace Mei or like the Alliance having hit The Dancing Glimmer, destroying the Ship and killing or capturing the Captain, and the remaining crew members team up with Erickson cause he promises them a ship, as long as he gets to be captain...or something!!!!! Sorry tad hyperness....

Cyclops

Name - James Daring
Age -  29
Birthplace - Space

Description:
He is a larger man, not tall but bulky.  He keeps his hair short but not a crew-cut, it is light brown and not quite blond.  His eyes are a deep chocolate brown.  He has never really had a problem with the ladies on the surface, he is confident and walks with the air of a man who is in command of things around him.  Useful in a fight with big muscles, he knows a moderate amount of martial arts in the way of throws and blocking centering on defense rather than offense.

History:
He was born on a exploration ship in space, though not alliance his parents fought for the Independence during the war.  He didn't though, he took the family ship and headed into the deepest areas of space that he could find.  He came back with a few mental scars, low on food and other supplies, to a war that was winding down.  It isn't generally known that he didn't actually fight, his family was known to fight and no one really knows where he was.  Those within the 'in' crowd have heard rumors that either he didn't fight or was in intelligencing for the Brown Coats.  He doesn't generally tell people that he didn't fight, nor does he talk about what he has seen in the outer rim of known space.  Secretly, he regrets not fighting, his parents had both died in the fighting, the last words spoken to him, spoken in anger.  He doesn't talk about it and doesn't want to.

Clothing / Equipment:
He wears a flight jacket, very old, it was his fathers.  There are no medals on it, but it has his fathers platinum wings on the front.  That and a few patches from different ships his father had been on before the war.  Other than that, he wears durable work pants and light work shirts.  They are clean and nice but they do not speak of money or society.

He carries with him a communications device, simple six gun an emergency radio/beacon and a pocket computer.

Cyclops

Quote from: Ryhana on December 20, 2009, 10:41:58 PM
Thanks!

Though I have to say that There is one thing in her personality that got her marooned that if it tends to come up too much...might get annoying IC to the crew >.>

I was mostly going to bring this up in the Intro post, which I was going to do the whole Marooning thingy for her...but I'm going to mention this here...When talking about people, especially people that might have a reason to pull out their guns and shoot first at her, when she says "oh! They love me!" She's probably not telling the full truth.....

Oh!!!

And I had a thought I kinda thought would be a little interesting or something...dunno how well it would work...but here goes!! Since her old crew were raiders of sorts...sometimes...And the fact that the PC crew is being marooned on the same planet, I was thinking that Members of Mei's old crew working with Erickson...

Now I could see it as for whatever reason the crew of The Dancing Glimmer having disbanded with some of the members teaming up with Erickson or the Crew taking Erickson on to replace Mei or like the Alliance having hit The Dancing Glimmer, destroying the Ship and killing or capturing the Captain, and the remaining crew members team up with Erickson cause he promises them a ship, as long as he gets to be captain...or something!!!!! Sorry tad hyperness....

No worries, I welcome hyperness.  I think that works well, almost like she was too honest for them, kind of too happy all the time, too willing to be honest with people, and too honest in her dealings.  The needed a real scoundrel like Erickson.

Thoughts from the rest of the group?

Cyclops

RoleNamePlayer
CaptainJames DaringTitanShadow
FighterUnknownJazzturbation
EngineerUnknownShamishielDF
TraitorEricksonDarkDemon
DoctorUnknownKitrazzle

Jazzturbation

Sorry to take so long to post this up... been hella busy.

Name: Phillip Highlan
Race: caucasian
Planet of origin: n/a

Physical description: Phil stands a tall 6'3", and weighs 200 lbs. His hair is short cropped and dark, his face often sports a rough growth of hair. His shoulders are wide and his stance sure; he moves with confidence that is neither rough nor graceful. In short, Phil is a big guy. He tends to wearing simple trousers and t-shirt type clothing, a leather jacket when the weather demands.

Equipment: Phil carries a variety of guns, depending on the situation or even his own mood. Staples in his arsenal include a simple hunting rifle, a sawn-off shotgun, and a battered but well working Bren LMG (or light machine gun) However, Phil is never without his twin pistols, worn at his hips, which resemble classic western Colt revolvers.

History: Phil's dad was a smuggler, and his father before him... and perhaps further back than that, but who the hell knows? Phil's mother was the pilot of his father's vessel, but she died during childbirth, leaving Phil's gruff space captain father to raise the child alone... with gratuitous help from his crew, of course. Phil was raised in space, and knew his whole life that he would live his life on a ship, working hard for his living. Thus far he's been right about that.

Persona: Phil can be a bit gruff, and is often a little over eager to step into a fight that could be more easily avoided. However, he is fiercely loyal, and protective of those he considers his friends.

Let me know if it needs changin

ChaNeko

I did not wish anyone to think that I'd given up on my background... I am studying Firefly canon for the details about Cherish's parents and past before I write up her extended info and submit it again.  Plus it is Christmas and I will be busy the next couple of days.  I'll post here again in the next week or so.

Merry Christmas everyone!

ChaNeko

Michael Corvus

Hello everyone. I stumbled onto this post and must say I am very interested as I am a fan of both the tragically short-lived Firefly, and Stargate. I was hoping, if it's not too late, there could be room for another fighter? No reason a ship should be limited to only one, right? I mean, Serenity had Mal, Zoe, and Jayne. Anyway, if it's not too late and you're open to the idea, I submit my character below for your approval.

Disclaimer: I am still very new to Elliquiy AND I am very rusty since I last role played some 10 years ago ... but when I did play I was always told I was good?  ;D

Name: Griffin "Griff" Kingston
Ethnicity: Black
Planet of origin:Londinium

Physical Description: Griff is 6'1" tall and weighs 227 lbs. He is in peak physical condition and he regularly works out to keep it that way. His light gray eyes are in stark contrast to his dark skin which can be either disarming or unnerving, depending on one's perspective. He keeps his head and face shaved as time permits, however there is often a days worth of dark stubble covering both. He has elaborate tribal tattoos on both upper arms and shoulders.

Clothing: Whenever Griff is NOT wearing his assault vest and web gear, which is not often, he wears darker colored t-shirts or a-shirts. He always wears dark military trousers and black combat boots. When the weather demands, he wears a dark military field jacket under his assault vest and web gear.

Equipment: Griff's shoulder sling holster holds his Colt. 45 DX pistol and  in the modern holster at his right hip is the PK12 Peacekeeper. Griff also still has the standard issue AR 24 S assault rifle that the Alliance issued him, and he whips out when the situation demands. His assault vest and web gear hold extra clips of ammo for all weapons he has with him at the time. He also carries a standard communication device.

History: Griff was born and raised on Londinium. His mother died when he was 12 and his father, Colonel Raziel Kingston, was a career officer in the Alliance military. Unable to dedicate the necessary time to raise his son, Col. Kingston sent Griff to live with his aunt. Griff dreamed of joining the Alliance and becoming a Fed. like his father and as soon as he was old enough, he enlisted. He loved every second of basic and excelled in specialized training, scoring top marks in unarmed combat, weapons training, and explosives. He was the model soldier, and quickly attained the rank of Sergeant.

However, as the Unification War progressed, he found himself at odds with the Alliance's doctrine and the interpretation and application of its laws. After a series of insubordinate acts including several open disagreements with his superiors, repeatedly disobeying direct orders, and then finally culminating in aiding "Browncoats" who were in dire need of medical aide, Griff was to face a Court Marshall, despite his father's best efforts on his behalf. Before he could be brought in, Griff abandoned his post and has been a fugitive on he run ever since, wanted for treason, among other things.

Persona: Griff is very confident in his abilities, to the point where he is border-line cocky. He knows what he is capable of and doesn't allow anyone to dictate otherwise. He also knows what he is NOT capable of, but that doesn't stop him from trying. Griff has a cynical and sarcastic sense of humor and can come across as a smart ass at times, especially to those who aren't familiar with him. His military background and training governs his work habits, and he's good at what he does. While he is loyal to his friends, there are few he considers "friend." His motto is "The mission before the man."
My O/O's | My A/A's | My Characters
The Oath of The Drake
*Currently Only Seeking Group Games*

ShamshielDF

Titan, the Engineer has a name...it's in the writeup I posted:  Kaori Jiang
Ons and offs!
A&A

Cyclops

Alright, so everything is in except the doctor...  Here is the current roster...

RoleNamePlayer
CaptainJames DaringTitanShadow
FighterPhillip HighlanJazzturbation
EngineerKaori JiangShamishielDF
TraitorEricksonDarkDemon
DoctorUnknownKitrazzle

Unplaced Characters
Griffin "Griff" Kingston by Corvus

We have Griffin by Corvus who is unplaced as yet, Kitrazzle has yet to post the doctor's profile...

Given the time period we're talking about here, that it has been long enough for even the busy among us to get up a profile, I would like to ask the group if we want to start it up...

We have enough players to start up the game, though we do need a profile on Erickson with details I think we can go without it if DarkDemon is willing to do so, a lot of his personality is given by the fact that he IS the evil traitor.

If Corvus would like to modify his character to add medical abilities, ChaNeko, I think you should make a new character to be found on the other side of the gate, I think that is the only place we really have a spot.

Thoughts, comments?

ChaNeko

I will be very happy to adjust my character to better fit in... somewhere on the other side, hm?...... hm.....  Have to think on that.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop.
ChaNeko

Cyclops

I like the update a lot, Ships Medic seems fine to me.  Also, the ship doesn't really have a First Officer of sorts, that puts too much, organization, into things.  Basically, the Captain would likely leave the Pilot in charge most of the time, protect the ship, go get people, etc...  However, should the situation call for it others would be left in command.

Cyclops

Quote from: ChaNeko on January 01, 2010, 02:09:28 AM
I will be very happy to adjust my character to better fit in... somewhere on the other side, hm?...... hm.....  Have to think on that.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop.
ChaNeko

Excellent, I look forward to seeing your next sheet.

Fior

I've been watching the progress of this one throughout the holiday approval hold. I'm finally approved, and if you'll have me I'd love in. Perhaps a "guide" of sorts on the other side of the stargate? I'm thinking a trader of information and other highly valuable rarities. Kind of tribal feel (of course). She knows a variety of addresses, and what can be expected at them. She has a quiet step, a sharp mind, and a swift fist. She could step in for fighting and face when needed, as well as a main duty as guide/interpreter/etc.

I'd love to see her come back through the gate with this group (down the line) and manage to get involved with Erickson (not knowing who he was)  before the group realized they'd caught up to him. It would tickle my funny bone, but is just a random thought. Perhaps an example of my twisted mind for consideration. =)