Bump in the Night [Interest Check | Recruitment] -- Always Recruiting!

Started by Esoteric Myobi, May 29, 2016, 02:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esoteric Myobi

This game has officially begun!
But we're always looking for fresh blood accepting new characters so feel free to apply.

Inspirational music for the game by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Across the river from the French Quarter, sitting at the tip of Algier's Point right along the Mississippi River trail, is the little known Black Swamp Tavern. A place rarely stumbled upon by chance; you had to know it was there as it was only accessible by ducking under an unmarked stone arch which led into a walled graveyard, beyond which the lamp-lit windowpanes of the tavern occasionally glowed. Yet even then, sometimes it simply could not be found...

Stepping inside is much like the rest of New Orleans; walking into another piece of history. The interior seems more spacious than it looks from outside. Everything is stone, the walls once rough and bumpy had grown smooth over the years. Uneven cobblestone floors are lit by oil lamps and the warm glow of hundreds of candles seemingly undulating in a cascade down along the corners of the room in rivulets of onyx wax that had dripped and pooled for decades. The high ceiling is dark with soot, adorned only by a chandelier made of bones in the center. An intricate piece of work, the main body consisted of spinal columns which had been fused together; femurs and tibias dripped decoratively from the arms of the fixture, bony hands swooping up to cradle human skulls, jaws agape, each choking on a massive black pillar as tar-like wax coated their teeth. Oddly enough, there were no spatters of black wax to be found below the gruesome light fixture.

A quick glance around the room showed various patrons scattered about in the lambent atmosphere. Seated alone or in small groups of twos and threes, some were jittery with anxiety, their fears practically wafting off their skin. Others were in the process of sinking into the booze in front of them. One girl sat, dazed, at the bar, nursing a steaming mug of...something too foul to be herbal tea. Upon closer inspection, you notice two neat puncture wounds along the side of her throat, twin lines of thin blood trailing down her neck to her collarbone.

Tonight, like every other night, Esmé lounged behind the bar. Proud proprietress of the Black Swamp Tavern, the woman was tall and willowy, her every movement fluid with catlike grace. Leaning against the countertop, chin cupped in the palm of her hand, inhuman golden eyes regard you steadily as you make your way towards the bar, a small smile slowly curving the edge of her lips at your every hesitant step. A small tingle of...dread? anticipation? repulsion?, no, curious fascination trickles down your spine. Hadn't you seen a brief flash of fangs accompanying that smile?

"And what brought you here tonight, my pretty?" Her voice is low and smooth, practically a purr as she smirked knowingly at you. Tucking a strand of emerald hair behind her ear, she asks coyly, "What exactly are you looking for..." Tonight. Among the things that go bump in the night while hiding in plain sight.

The unspoken question hung in the air, because even you don't quite know what led you here...Or do you?

Welcome to Bump in the Night, brought to you by yours truly and the lovely and recently returned, Saffron.

Bump in the Night is an open-sandbox game set in an alternate modern day version of New Orleans, Louisiana. The "Big Easy." Known for its round-the-clock nightlife, vibrant live-music scene and spicy, singular cuisine reflecting its history as a melting pot of French, African and American cultures, there's more than meets the eye. Local lore and legends abound, and the fact is that the area has been infested with the supernatural. Vampires, werewolves and all other manner of creatures imaginable lurk behind the scenes.

This game will be dark, gritty and undoubtedly filled with violence. If that's not your cup of tea, this is your warning to walk away now. We're looking for players who are able to write scenes cooperatively and work together to solve problems while also being able to continue driving the game forwards in interesting ways. Why? Because no one character in this game will know everything.

Sexual interactions between characters are certainly welcome. However, if you know that your scene will take more than a few posts to complete, please take it to a separate thread so that the main game thread doesn't become cluttered. Feel free to link the thread into OOC so the rest of us curious voyeurs can follow along with your epic smut. ;)

We welcome character concepts of four types:

• The Initium: People who have not yet been introduced to the world unseen. You begin the game as a typical person with your own set of beliefs, motivations and goals. We're interested in seeing how these ideals of  yours will change when you encounter the supernatural for the first time. Perhaps you're chasing after a story and bit off more than you can chew. Perhaps a loved one was murdered and you witnessed the grisly aftermath along with a glimpse of the perpetrator. Maybe you were the unfortunate victim in the plans of someone not wholly human.

Players can discuss with the GMs exactly the type of encounter that they would like their character to experience in game and we will make it happen. Or, if you'd rather be surprised...well, we'd enjoy that far too much.
    ;)
  • The Docebat: People who have had their fair share of encounters with the supernatural and have been changed in some way as a result. Docebats may be more/less knowledgeable about certain supernatural creatures depending on what they've encountered in the past. However, no one Docebat knows everything and your knowledge may even be partially incorrect. Due to their past experiences, Docebats tend to be more perceptive about the unseen world around them.

Describe in your character's backstory how they were introduced to the supernatural and how they came out differently because of it. It is completely up to the player whether they would like their Docebat character to be sympathetic towards supernaturals or against them. Keep in mind that not all supernatural encounters need be terrible -- but it would most certainly have been an encounter that changed their life in some way for the better or the worse.

• The Lux: Commonly referred to as a "reformed" supernatural, the term tends to be more tongue in cheek than actual truth. The Lux are supernaturals who have supposedly turned a new leaf and now work to protect people from their own kind, or stay out of their way at the very least. Think of them as: neutral parties or actively allied to humans; if allied to humans, they have taken solid steps to show their alliance (ex: aiding humans out of compassion); view Lux as a gamble, you never quite know where their alliances truly lie, they are very much a moral gray area

Lux characters will require a strong backstory explaining why they've turned away from the supernatural world.

• The Tenebris: The stuff of legends and children's bedtime stories, these are the supernaturals who simply don't give a damn about anything besides themselves. Think of them as: self-interested creatures who are focused on their own lives and desires; has no love or compassion for humans; may keep a low profile or be the exact opposite (ripping through town without restraint --> the kind of Tenebris who need to be put down or controlled); may do things that benefit humans on the surface but are ultimately working for their own self-interest

Players with Tenebris characters may occasionally have to cooperate with GMs to help set up certain scenes/events. We will, of course, PM you beforehand with a summary of what to expect and go from there. :-)
A note on supernatural creatures: All supernatural creatures are parahuman, exhibiting two distinct sets of DNA within the same system. When in human form, they are, by all accounts, physiologically that way and thus, can pass as human. However, certain aspects about them still sets them apart from the rest of humanity, such as the fae being weak to iron. There are both good and bad supernaturals, but they generally behave stereotypically in accordance to their own kind, such as werewolves typically having a pack mentality. Otherwise, a supernatural creature's "true" form can only be seen in two ways:
  • When their emotions aren't in check
    • Ex: When caught by surprise or experiencing sudden rage, their human guise may momentarily slip or partially shift
    • These glimpses may be so brief that most humans would find themselves simply questioning their own imaginations.
  • When they choose to drop their human form completely.
As such, it is completely possible for players to create characters who are Lux or Tenebris masquerading as an Initium or Docebat. If you wish to disguise yourself as a human, make sure to mark your Character Sheet as an Initium or Docebat, not as a Lux or Tenebris. Include only a picture and description of how the human world sees you. Then, PM your complete Character Sheet to the GMs.

Also, while vamps, wolves and fae were the supernatural creatures I mentioned in the original post, these three are by no means the only options available. We're open to taking ideas about any kind of supernatural creature as long as there is enough lore to support it and base a character off of it. This is mostly so that we'll be able to plan accordingly based on its strengths/weaknesses when plotting to move our game forwards.

Interested? Here's a few things to keep in mind...
  • All characters must be approved by both GMs.
    • Questions? Make sure to include both GMs in your PM!
  • Players can make a maximum of two characters.
    • Please only do so if you're confident that you can actually play both characters.
  • Players must post once a week minimum.
    • Posts should be a length of at least two paragraphs (4 sentences per paragraph) minimum.
    • Longer posts are certainly welcome, but not a requirement.
  • Literate posts only!
    • No text/chatspeak!!!
    • Understandable grammar/spelling. Perfection not required.
  • If you are unable to continue the game for whatever reason, or disappear from E for extended periods (a month) and cannot be reached, your character will be used by the GMs as they see fit.
    • Need to take a break from E/writing for a while but want to pick the game up again later? Not a problem, just let us know beforehand.
  • Be courteous to each other and have fun!
Character Sheet:
[float=right][img height=350 padding=10]INSERT IMAGE LINK[/img][/float][b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Character Type:[/b] (Initium, Docebat, Lux, Tenebris)

[b]Skills:[/b] (List three maximum)
[list][li][b]First Skill Name:[/b] First skill description[/li]
[li][b]Second Skill Name:[/b] Second skill description[/li]
[li][b]Third Skill Name:[/b] Third skill description[/li][/list]
[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Backstory:[/b]

[b]Character Ons/Offs:[/b]

Quote from: Saffron on June 26, 2016, 05:09:51 PM
GM STUFF - PLS TO BE READING
  • Character sheets should not be posted to this thread until they have been approved by the GMs. If you have not recieved an approval, please PM your character sheet to us and remove it from this thread until then. It is literally becoming impossible for us to try to keep up without the PM trail that allow us to keep track lol.
  • The game is currently in an interest chest and recruitment phase BUT we ARE excited to start the game very soon and were actually planning to do so tonight before Myobi's emergency (we're hopeful the game will be ready by Tuesday, June 28th though). If you are not prepared to wait an additional week or so for the game to begin however, please feel free to let us know that you are dropping out - there are no hard feelings.
  • Please remember that it is your job as the players to connect with each other. The GMs cannot make character interaction happen, feel free to start plotting ideas and making history with other characters. If you're bored and excited for the game to begin, start messaging the other players with your ideas.
  • Once again, please include both GMs in all game related PMs.
Please title your PM subjects as "BitN (Character Name) Character Sheet"

Each player may create up to a maximum of two characters only!
Please only do so if you're 110% confident that you can actually play both characters.

Approved Characters

Character                    Player                    Type                    Face Claim                     
Dom André                    Saffron                    Tenebris                    Dimitris Alexandrou                   
Esmé                    Esoteric Myobi                    Lux                              ???                   
Lily, aka. "The Librarian"                    Saffron                    Docebat                              ???                   
                    Esoteric Myobi                                        Nyle DiMarco                   
Aidan (Aodhán) Fendweller                    Remiel                    Lux                    Colin Farrell                   
Anishal Silveris

- CURRENTLY INACTIVE -                   
bubby                   Tenebris                             ???                   
Amargosa                    Elysian Radiance                    Lux                    Nadezhda Neyasova                   
Collin Delaney                    wolventears                    Lux                              ???                   
Damien Rowe

- CURRENTLY INACTIVE -                   
Derwaysh                    Docebat                    Lee Pace                   
Danjiro Kuriyama                    Kuroneko                    Tenebris                    Jang Dong Gun                   
Father Domenic Sozio                    Captain Whitebread                    Docebat                    Colin O'Donoghue                   
Erik "Cath Fach" Carter                    TheHangedMan                    Tenebris                    Gaspard Ulliel                   
Flora Cassidy                    TheDarkGoddess                    Initium                    Karen Gillan                   
Gabriel Harvester                    dblkrose                    Initium                    Hugh Jackman                   
Dr. Jackson Lee Hunt                    Twisted iN Tux                    Docebat                    David Gandy                   
Khaendan Maeve Greyson                    Elysian Radiance                    Docebat                    Adelaide Kane                   
Kuriyama Miho, aka Horimaru III                    Kuroneko                    Tenebris                    Shibasaki Kou                   
Liam Kim                    Captain Whitebread                    Lux                    Eduardo Berastegui                   
Nari Kim                    Lady Kitsune                    Initium                              ???                   
Ravenna Sinclaire                    LamentingQuill                    Docebat                    Ksenia Solo                   
Reinhardt Terell Fouchs
(Reynard The Fox)

YourTroubleMaker                    Lux                    Evan Peters                   
Sid Lukia                    Twisted iN Tux                    Tenebris                    Cole Monagan
      -and-
Brock O’Hurn                   
Vexania 'Vexie' Ve'Scay                    VexaVenom                    Tenebris                              ???                   

OOC Thread

...I want to be your wet dream, your daydream, your only distraction...
~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Lady Lunarius

I may have interest but I need to let life settle a bit first if that is okies! >.>
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

YourTroubleMaker

Esoteric Myobi

Quote from: persephone325 on May 29, 2016, 02:24:21 PM
You know I'm interested. <3

Yay, Sephie! ;D

Quote from: Lady Lunarius on May 29, 2016, 02:43:07 PM
I may have interest but I need to let life settle a bit first if that is okies! >.>

That's okay, Luna. Life definitely comes first. But you know I'd love to have you if you could manage it ;)

Quote from: YourTroubleMaker on May 29, 2016, 03:12:55 PM
I am super interested. <3

I'm so glad to hear that~ <3

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

Lady Lunarius

LaLu's Delicious treats!

Twisted iN Tux

Bring forth the document of interest! I shall sign it in blood if I must! In other words, count me in. :P

Autumn Sativus

Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Madame Professor

The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Lady Lunarius

LaLu's Delicious treats!

Esoteric Myobi

Quote from: Lady Lunarius on May 29, 2016, 04:40:02 PM
Ok I'm in....>.>

Yaaaaaas  >:)

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on May 29, 2016, 06:14:53 PM
Bring forth the document of interest! I shall sign it in blood if I must! In other words, count me in. :P

Hello new person! Nice ta meetcha and thanks for taking an interest! ^^ Looking forward to seeing what you come up with ;3

Quote from: Madame Professor on May 29, 2016, 06:27:14 PM
-sneaks in-

MP~!! I knew you couldn't resist >:)

Quote from: Lady Lunarius on May 29, 2016, 06:38:11 PM
I'd like to request a face claim of Sophia Bush please

Done. If anyone else has any face claims they'd like to make, feel free to do so. Actual character sheets still need to undergo approval first though :-)

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Twisted iN Tux

If possible, I would like to lay claim to the face of Mr. Gandy. Please and thank you. Oh, and, thanks for the warm welcum!

Diesel Heart

This seems up my alley.  I'll place a concept down, going ahead and making claim to the face of Emily Rudd.  Would a Docebat type, in the sense they've interacted with ghosts for a certain few years, be possible?

Esoteric Myobi

Hullo! Welcome and thanks for the interest! :-)

So are you thinking a Docebat who specializes in the paranormal, as in a ghost/haunting sense?

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Diesel Heart

Quote from: Esoteric Myobi on May 29, 2016, 09:19:50 PM
Hullo! Welcome and thanks for the interest! :-)

So are you thinking a Docebat who specializes in the paranormal, as in a ghost/haunting sense?

More or less.  It would be an import from another medium, tailored to this setting.  She's basically seen and spoken to ghosts from an early age and it's caused her a plethora of problems growing up.  I wouldn't call her an 'expert' by any means, but she's always abused the ability to get information out of benign spirits in exchange for helping them pass on, for example.

Esoteric Myobi

Alright, so. After some quick discussion, this is what we came up with:

Ghosts/hauntings aren't considered a supernatural creature per se since they're on a different plane of existence. So, while you can go ahead and make that a part of your character's backstory/skill set, she would still be considered an Initium since she hasn't had an actual encounter with a Lux/Tenebris yet.

If that makes sense and you're fine with it, then we're looking forward to seeing your character. :-)

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Lady Lunarius

Quote from: Esoteric Myobi on May 29, 2016, 09:31:29 PM
Alright, so. After some quick discussion, this is what we came up with:

Ghosts/hauntings aren't considered a supernatural creature per se since they're on a different plane of existence. So, while you can go ahead and make that a part of your character's backstory/skill set, she would still be considered an Initium since she hasn't had an actual encounter with a Lux/Tenebris yet.

If that makes sense and you're fine with it, then we're looking forward to seeing your character. :-)

I'm thinking what we talked about with my girly is going to stick I just need to get words to come out of my keys. :P
LaLu's Delicious treats!

Remiel

Ugh.  I generally steer clear of group games, but having a fondness for the GM(s), will be watching to see how this develops...

Timeless

*peeks in* Just want to voice my interest for this! Debating on whether I could fit this into my schedule, and also whether I want to play a female or male character. Hope this will get more interest though!

Twisted iN Tux

Just to give the GMs a status update, I have nearly all of my character concept completed, I just have to flesh out his backstory; however, with today being a holiday, I'm actually off in a few to spend the day with friends for some festive food and fun! I should be able to have him wrapped up in the next day or two later this week, so expect a PM by no later than Wednesday Friday evening.

Cheers,
Tony

Aeons

Looks interesting.  I would be interested in playing a Tenebris, more specifically a fae, I believe.

Esoteric Myobi

@Luna: Take your time. We're not in a huge rush to get the game started. Plus, it's Memorial Day weekend so we figured most people are busy with the holiday this weekend anyway. ;3

@Remi: Yay! Remi! -ties to the nearest chair so he can't escape- >:)

@Timeless: Timeless <3 If you're too busy that's totally understandable, but we'd love for you to play~  ;D If you wanted to, and think you can handle it, you could make both a female and a male character. Each player can only create a max of two characters though, but please only do so if you think you can manage to keep up regular posts for both your characters.

@Tony: Again, no rush. Enjoy the holiday! ;D

@Aeons: Hello and welcome! Thanks for the interest :D I can definitely see the fae making for a perfect Tenebris, they're definitely a self-interested bunch, haha

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Galactic Druid

* ThatRPGuy is being drug in by Myobi.

This looks really interesting, and I already know what I would play if I did, plus the GMs are awesome, but I'm generally not super great with group games. I tend to be a pretty slow poster and RL gets in the way a lot, especially with moving coming up in a few months, I know Ill be slow.

What kind of activity level and post size are you guys looking for? I'm interested, but afraid of holding the game back.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on May 30, 2016, 01:21:07 PM
* ThatRPGuy is being drug in by Myobi.

This looks really interesting, and I already know what I would play if I did, plus the GMs are awesome, but I'm generally not super great with group games. I tend to be a pretty slow poster and RL gets in the way a lot, especially with moving coming up in a few months, I know Ill be slow.

What kind of activity level and post size are you guys looking for? I'm interested, but afraid of holding the game back.
The post requirements are listed in more detail under the opener but basically a couple of paragraphs once a week.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

wigglebiscuit

GMs: you wrote that this is an open-sandbox. Will there be any GM initiated plots and events, or is everything up to the players?

If so, can you give us any hints?