What's the most racist show on TV?

Started by Mathim, August 01, 2008, 08:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

I've been pondering this lately. I'm tempted to think it's The Boondocks but I just downloaded some of The PJ's and I'm starting to wonder, if there are more shows like that which are even more negative-stereotype-filled. Can anyone else think of shows that are pretty stereotype-laden? Doesn't matter what ethnicity they're bashing, as long as there's tons of it. Or does anyone agree with me about The Boondocks/The PJ's?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Caity

Archie Bunker?  Is that still on TV?

And I always thought that the white people on Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Family Matters were portrayed negatively.  *laughs*

Mathim

I had the impression it was always worse when black people were portrayed, they just have more negative stereotypes surrounding them to exploit, or so I believe I've observed. I mean, it's one thing to occasionally make a racist joke like South Park, but to revel in them like the shows I mentioned, that's going kind of too far. Sometimes it seems less like comedy and more like an actual attack on someone's race or culture.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Kalen

The Proud Family... a cartoon.

Then again, I don't think that show portrays people of ANY race well.  It's all negative, and stereotypes.  Nasty stuff.

Mathim

You mean that Disney Channel show? Wow, I knew Disney had always been racist but even in this day and age, when people SUE for things like that? Shit...

Sealab 2021 on Adult Swim is pretty racist, at least in later seasons. When they get that Southern football coach as their new captain, he's really redneck-y.

ShrowdedPoet

I generally don't worry about things like what shows are racist. . .  

I was listening to the Corey and J show 100.3 the edge the other day.  They were discussing the stupid irritating lady who got offended cause her license plate read 3 numbers and NGR.  She said it could be read as Nigger and therefore was offensive and racist.  Now they're perging the database and spending tons of money to do so.  Well they have a conversation time where people call in and discuss things.  This man called complaining about how the Hotels.com commercials are racist cause the white guy is the foil to the black guy. . .

I just don't think about it usually.  I try not to be racist and that's all that matters to me.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Mathim

Well I see two problems. The first, is people seeking to profit off of racist sentiments and not caring who they offend or whose feelings they hurt. The second is people overreacting to things that aren't racist at all, and their paranoia only hurts other innocent people and wastes tons of time and money just to satisfy their own overinflated egos. To me, people like that are the racists because they obviously think badly of other races since their paranoia drives them to believe they deserve to be given special treatment over trivial things.

Caity

Is the "n" word allowed to be typed in this forum?...

Really?...

*feels sick*

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Caity on August 08, 2008, 02:08:53 PM

Really?...

*feels sick*

I hate the word but I typed it so that what I was trying to say would be understood but I think it is allowed on this forum cause I've heard it in many a PG 13 movie.
Ons and Offs

Caity

I have such a mental block to that word, I can't even complete it in my head.  Let alone speak it or type it. 

Sherona

Quote from: Caity on August 08, 2008, 02:08:53 PM

Really?...

*feels sick*

as long as it is not used in a derogatory manner, Poet was not calling anyone the N word, she was just stating what the NGR could have been read as. I would have said "it could have been read as the N- word" as most adults would have been able to figure out what N word was being referenced but she did not call anyone the slur so it was well wtihin the pg-13 bounds and the civility rule.

Caity

Personal opinion...

I think it should be stricken from everywhere.  Regardless of the rating... which really, means nothing.  That word, in any context, is disgusting. 

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Caity on August 08, 2008, 02:12:53 PM
I have such a mental block to that word, I can't even complete it in my head.  Let alone speak it or type it. 

I NEVER speak it, I generally don't say it in my head, and I hardly ever type it unless it's telling about something and I need to type the word for clarity.
Ons and Offs

Sherona

well I agree that for discussion purposes N-word comes a cross better then actually saying the N word. We are all adults, and unfortunately generally know exactly what N-word is being talked about. However on that same note, we /are/ all adults, and as long as its used as discussion purposes I see no reason to lynch the word when its not being used in such a derogatory way.

Caity

*lol*

But the word itself, regardless of content, is derogatory.  Like I said, just my personal opinion. 

I don't think saying it, or not wanting to hear or see it, makes anyone more or less of an adult. 

Sherona

I wasn't trying to say anyone was less adult in not liking the word. I personally can not stand it when someone uses the term Gay derogatorily. Such as "That is so Gay!" giving the term Gay a negative meaning, and in a sense saying that being gay is a bad thing as well. Yet it does not stop the youth of the world from doing it sadly. Where did that become so popular to say?

I digress. I should have phrased it like so "Using such a word in a discussion adn not actively smiting someone by calling them that should not really be a punishable offense." Bad wording on my part.

ShrowdedPoet

Actually the N word, looked up in a good dictionary, primarily means trash.  Not many of the other things that people use it as.  But the newer dictionaries have modified to add the derogatory definitions.  I always get irritated when I hear it.  And one time in band some kid who thought he was black and acted like a gangster (rich white kid) was calling me his n word.  I asked him several times not to before I finally yelled at him and explained that it didn't mean black, didn't mean friend, it meant trash and I was not trash.  My band director was shocked because I was very quite in band and immediatly came upon the situation.  The kid got sent to the principles office and in big trouble.
Ons and Offs

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Sherona on August 08, 2008, 02:26:06 PM
I wasn't trying to say anyone was less adult in not liking the word. I personally can not stand it when someone uses the term Gay derogatorily. Such as "That is so Gay!" giving the term Gay a negative meaning, and in a sense saying that being gay is a bad thing as well. Yet it does not stop the youth of the world from doing it sadly. Where did that become so popular to say?

I digress. I should have phrased it like so "Using such a word in a discussion adn not actively smiting someone by calling them that should not really be a punishable offense." Bad wording on my part.

I agree. . .and it was some time in my generation after I became a pre-teen that I started hearing it used like that.
Ons and Offs

Caity

I wasn't calling for punishment.  A small edit would be nice.  ;)

And I've had to hear it all my life.  My dad is the biggest racist ass*beep* I know.

Sherona

At least he wasn't hypocritical about it. My parents were adamant that they are not "racists or homophobes" but preached constantly against "interracial marriages and Homosexuality" ..*cringes*

Caity

*laughs*  He is.  He's nice to black and gay people in person. 

I would love it if he turns out to be gay.  I think him turning out to be black is more of a long shot.  It would have been paradise if he'd pretended not to be racist.

Mathim

I had some co-workers at my hotel job, half-white and half-hispanic, and they'd talk gangster all the time, saying the 'n-word' that ends with 'a' instead of 'er', you know, like black people say to each other as a term of endearment rather than derogatory. Why or how the word was twisted into something that is comfortable to be used by them, I can't imagine, but if they want to say it to each other, let 'em. I just hate when they jump down other peoples' throats about it if it's supposed to not mean anything bad anymore. It's the same word, but it suddenly becomes bad if someone of a different color says it? N-word, please! LOL.

Fact is, people are always going to be racists, and it's not just from one group, it's from all of them, and for every bigot who is white, there is one from every other ethnicity as well, just as bad as they are or worse. I'm sure negative stereotypes and peoples' upbringings have a lot to do with it, but I don't think anything is going to change how people feel, ever. Everyone wants to feel superior to someone else so whether or not their racism is legitimate or just an outlet for their inferiority (like, for instance, if someone who went through a lot of the stuff I did with other ethnicities and it turned them bigoted, that would be the former, whereas someone who just decides to go with the group mentality would be the latter) so unless you find the cure for the human condition (pun intended) then good luck changing the way the world thinks.

Personally I've endured lots of racial anger and hatred towards me from various minorities, and I never did anything to anyone to deserve it. I don't let it get me down, though, I know they're hurting and they just don't know how to deal with that pain except to lessen it slightly by spreading it to others.

Caity

It does have a different meaning depending on who says it.  *laughs*

The same way it's okay for certain people to call you names, but different if someone else says it.  It's the same name.  It just means something different. 

I don't agree with other races being just as racist as whites.. Who cares?  Why is that relevant?  Two wrongs don't make a right and all that jazz.  I personally base my behavior and beliefs on what I think is right, not what I can get away with cause other people do it too. 

ShrowdedPoet

Ons and Offs

Mathim

But it's naive to think that way. People who do right are walked all over by people who embrace the other approach. Fight fire with fire, I say, and be prepared to relaliate when necessary. Not in a racist way, but if someone shows you hatred and is really trying to hurt you, you need to stand up for yourself because more often than not, just explaining to them that they're wrong and should behave differently, won't work. Speaking their language, violent or hated, might not change their way of thinking but they'll sure think twice about who they spread it to.