New monitor, all the text is tiny.

Started by Revolverman, February 04, 2012, 04:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revolverman

I just hooked up a 19 inch HD TV to my PC, and I'm using it as my main monitor. HDMI cable. Games and videos are awesome, but webpages and text is so small, its nearly unreadable. I've tried messing with the resolutions, but that's not working. Any ideas?

Oniya

Tried using the 'Zoom' feature?  (Ctrl-+ on Firefox, also Ctrl-scrollwheel on the mouse)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Revolverman

That does work nicely for the webpages, but not for things like IM windows or text editors.

Kuje

I know on Windows 7 they give you a option of making your text larger through the Screen Resolution feature/settings. At the bottom there is a link that says something like, "Make your text bigger/larger."

I think the older versions of Windows has this feature/setting....

Geraint

Assuming you are running Windows 7, right click on an empty area of your screen.  Choose personalize from the menu.  In the tower right of the new window, there is a link to "display".  Click it and then try the Medium setting first, and then the large one if that isn't enough.  But be aware that this will change how some web pages display, especially ones that ask you to click on a box or write in a small box.  You might have to switch back to smaller type to do that.  I run my flat screen on Medium, which has type size 125% of normal.  It seems to be the best compromise between size and distortion for me.  With the "larger" (150%) setting, you sometimes miss stuff on web pages.

If you have a lot of time to experiment, and enjoy doing so, you acan also click the link  for "Window color" in the middle bottom of the Personalization page, then click the "advanced appearance settings".  The window that opens there has a drop down menu that will let you change typesides and fonts, as well as changes spacings for individual parts of the windows.  It takes a lot of patience, though, because you have to guess at what it is you are actually changing a lot of the time, as the descriptions are not always straight forward.

You can do more or less the the same thing in Windows XP.

Revolverman