Having a major problem with PM's

Started by HymenBreacher, March 22, 2009, 11:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HymenBreacher

On top of my screen, it says

"I have 256 messages, one of which is new."

When I clicked on that to go to my Inbox, it says :

"I have 255 messages, none of which is new."  (So one PM seems to be in limbo.

And when I tried to highlight some PM's to move into a label, it says ;

"Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

Needless to say I tried logging out and back in but the problem persists.  I don't know how to read the new PM's that are coming to me.  And something seems corrupt.

Vekseid

Are you using AOL or something? Who is your ISP and what browser do you use?

Try clearing all cookies for elliquiy.com and try again?

HymenBreacher

Edited : see below

Vekseid

Something is really insisting that it be caching. Are you behind any proxies of any sort?

HymenBreacher

Okay, learned something new today.  Apparently here is what happened :

My 7 year old cousin was playing and clicking with the computer clock last night.  I noticed just now that the year was set to 2039.

Apparently the cookie to this site uses some kind of date stamp? (no idea why that would affect the number of unread messages I have)  So I reset the clock, re-deleted the cookie and it seems fine now.

HymenBreacher

Thanks for the help Vek.  That last post of yours hinted at the solution and problem, however bizarre it was.

Oniya

Quote from: HymenBreacher on March 22, 2009, 12:17:15 PM
Apparently the cookie to this site uses some kind of date stamp? (no idea why that would affect the number of unread messages I have) 

Here's a thought - whether a message is read or unread basically seems to come down to two factors:  The time of the last visit to the PM box, and the time that it is when you enter the PM box.  If the time that the message arrives is between those, then it's 'new'.  With your clock set way in the future, any 'actually new' messages would be arriving way in the past.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

A cookie can't be set beyond 2039, so that's what most such programs set it to. If you set your computer's date to 2040 lots of fun stuff will happen on a lot of sites.

HymenBreacher

Quote from: Vekseid on March 24, 2009, 05:34:24 PM
A cookie can't be set beyond 2039, so that's what most such programs set it to. If you set your computer's date to 2040 lots of fun stuff will happen on a lot of sites.

Thats very interesting.  Whats so magical about the year 2039?

Oniya

Wasn't able to find references to 2039, but 2038 is supposed to cause something similar to the Y2K issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Vekseid

Ah right, 2039, 2038, easy to mix them up :-p

Oniya

Amusingly enough, 2039 did bring up a Kabbalistic prediction for Armageddon, made some time in the 1200's.  The number was close enough that I decided to search off of the Y2K issues for other 'threshold' events.

Basically, it's when the 32-bit Unix date coding wraps around.