[Interest Check] World of Darkness (VtM, MtA, or WtA)

Started by Hades, October 23, 2014, 11:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hades

Since the result has been overwhelming in favor of a Camarilla-centered game, I've edited this post to reflect the sort of character creation rules I want to use, as well as a bit of city details to help everyone sort out their backgrounds.

The game is going to be based in the city of Seattle.   From the 1970s until 2000 the city was an Anarch-city, until the Brujah baron was bribed and/or blackmailed into declaring his loyalty to the Camarilla at the turn of the century and proclaimed himself as Prince.  Since that time, the city has been contested between the Anarchs who feel betrayed and want to take their territory back and the Camarilla who have invested considerable resources in acquiring the city and shaping it to suit their needs.   Most of the conflict has been 'cold war' in style with the occasional spat of physical violence spilling onto the streets.   

However such internal conflict did not go unnoticed for long. With it's attention divided, the Camarilla failed to notice the Sabbat gaining a foothold in the nearby city of Tacoma.  With forces gathering to the south and a large support system to the north based in Vancouver, the Sabbat is in a position to tighten a noose around the city if it can't settle its political turmoil in time.

Character creation rules

All of the standard Camarilla clans are available, as well as the Independents.  Note that this is after the Gangrel's departure from the Camarilla officially, so if you are playing a Gangrel please specify if you are Independent or Camarilla-aligned.

Attributes and Abilities are capped at 4 as the highest score.  The exception to this is Linguistics which can go to 5 if you feel it suits the character's background.  No more than two Attributes at 4, and they can not be in the same category (so no Strength and Dexterity 4, or Charisma and Manipulation, etc...)

Characters can be any age up to 100 years undead.  If you want to play a character that is younger than that you are welcomed to do so as well, but a century under the blood is the maximum.  Whatever age, the characters will be assumed to have already undergone their presentation to the court and received the Prince's acknowledgement, and so will have Camarilla Status 1 for free.

Standard character creation rules apply in terms of number of points available.  However, I have decided to mimic the effects of the Age background by giving everyone an additional 30 freebie points to spend.   So that means a total of 45 freebies rather than the normal fifteen.   There are of course conditions on how to spend that, which are:

Generation is capped at 5 dots.  All other backgrounds are capped at 3.
A total of six dots in Disciplines are allowed.  So the three points you get at creation, plus up to three additional dots purchased with freebie points.   No Discipline can be higher than 3, and no clan-specific Disciplines can be purchased at creation.  For example, no Thaumaturgy for non-Tremere characters, no Protean for non-Gangrel and so forth.  You can however purchase what I call the eight common powers:  Animalism, Auspex, Celerity, Dominate, Fortitude, Potence, Presence, and Obfuscate.   Any Caitiff characters should also take their initial Disciplines from the common powers as well.

Tremere Characters should begin with Path of Blood as their primary Thaumaturgy path.   Tremere also recieve one ritual free per level of Thaumaturgy (so if a character has Thaum 2, they would have a Level One ritual and a Level Two ritual for free).  Additional rituals can be purchased with one freebie point per level of the ritual, up to a maximum number of rituals known at creation equal to the character's Thaumaturgy rating x 2.

Influence will be determined for specific sectors in the city.   So you can buy Influence (Church) but would have to buy Influence (Police) seperately.  I will have a list of the various sectors of Influence available in a later posting, once I find the necessary book.

Influence Sectors
Bureaucracy
Church
Finance
Health
High Society
Industry
Legal
Media
Occult
Police
Political
Street
Transportation
Underworld
University

Because of giving the Age background for free, you also will deduct one point from your Humanity/Path score at creation as well.  You can however buy that dot back with freebies if you wish.  Remember that paths are highly suspect within Camarilla society and may make one a target for "Sabbat sympathies" if uncovered.

Combination discipline powers as presented in the various clan books and guide books will be handled on a case-by-case basis, but are not available at creation.

No NPC sires will be approved (so no being the childe of the prince, or one of the primogen, and so forth).  If players want to come in as members of the same "family" (ie, share the same sire from the city they were embraced in before moving to Seattle) that will be acceptable.

I think that covers the nuts and bolts of things enough for right now to let people start working on their backgrounds and sending them to me.   Once I get my home PC back and set up again, I'll likely make an opening post for the story.   I am going to post it in the Extreme category, simply because that provides coverage if the chronicle goes in that direction.  It's no guarantee that it will, but better safe than sorry I say.

Chulanowa

werewolf player here, though can do Vampire. Not much interest in Mage, though.

Pumpkin Seeds

Angie

Will there be any crossover fun? I've never done oWoD, but I'm willing to try, I'd just prefer to be Mage.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Hades

Quote from: Angiejuusan on October 24, 2014, 12:40:16 AM
Will there be any crossover fun? I've never done oWoD, but I'm willing to try, I'd just prefer to be Mage.

I think for now I'd rather have a single system party just for the ease of everyone being on the same page.  If the game turns out to be successful and popular enough though I wouldn't be opposed to introducing cross-over into the mix.

Angie

Quote from: Hades on October 24, 2014, 12:47:29 AM
I think for now I'd rather have a single system party just for the ease of everyone being on the same page.  If the game turns out to be successful and popular enough though I wouldn't be opposed to introducing cross-over into the mix.
Bah, poor luck on my part then! Well, I hope it takes off for you! And if it's Werewolf I may consider joining-I hate to be 'that guy', but nWoD did more to turn me off vampires then Twilight ever could.

Hades

Quote from: Angiejuusan on October 24, 2014, 01:00:23 AM
Bah, poor luck on my part then! Well, I hope it takes off for you! And if it's Werewolf I may consider joining-I hate to be 'that guy', but nWoD did more to turn me off vampires then Twilight ever could.

I never read much of the new Vampire game, but from what I heard from others I wasn't that impressed with Requiem either.  Then again, I'm not fond of the whole nWoD anyway so...yeah.  Hence going old school with this idea. :D

Angie

Quote from: Hades on October 24, 2014, 01:09:39 AM
I never read much of the new Vampire game, but from what I heard from others I wasn't that impressed with Requiem either.  Then again, I'm not fond of the whole nWoD anyway so...yeah.  Hence going old school with this idea. :D
Yeah, no blame here. I might check out VtM and see what it is, if it's good, I might jump in anyway.

Bibliophilia

Bruja

Any of those...I have all the books!!!! Count me in! Though I really want to play Vampire...Salubri...ok so I voted... :P

Devilyn Sydhe

A real vampire game (no glitter :-) ) could be interesting though I'm not well versed in the VtM canon.  Still, I will be keeping an eye on this.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AndyZ

Primarily interested in Mage, but could also do Vampire.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Josietta

I'd join in on Vampire or Werewolf!  I can play either and love both!  I don't know a whole lot about Mage though.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Captain America

GAWDZ YES I'd play some vampire. Most likely if it was NOT a play by post. If its done off site I have one or two people I can actually bring in who are really good role players.
Skype Captain America (captainamerica_@Hotmail.com)

Feel free to pester me.

TheHangedOne

If the game goes Vampire, I'd be willing/wanting to play a Ghoul, in servitude to a female (PC) vampire, if anybody would be interested in having a henchman.  :-)
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

VonDoom

Up for any of those. In order of preference: Mage, Vampire, Werewolf.

I'm most familiar with VtM and it's my overall favorite, but it's also the one that's generally easiest to find and so my first pick when a choice is given will always be Mage. Unless Wraith or Kindred of the East are in the running, because those are super rare.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Captain America

See I can't find any current VtM games. Seems all the good ones were years ago. lol But yes, definitely looking forward to one.

Feel free to pester me.

Bruja

Quote from: VonDoom on October 25, 2014, 11:55:28 AM
Up for any of those. In order of preference: Mage, Vampire, Werewolf.

I'm most familiar with VtM and it's my overall favorite, but it's also the one that's generally easiest to find and so my first pick when a choice is given will always be Mage. Unless Wraith or Kindred of the East are in the running, because those are super rare.

Oh KoE....*drool* If only...

Captain America

Feel free to pester me.

Hades

Quote from: Rapt on October 26, 2014, 03:33:05 PM

Oh KoE....*drool* If only...

*Hands Rapt a hankie* You've got a little something on your chin. ;)

I have the KoE book but have no experience playing or STing for them, so we will be staying strictly the lovable Cainite variety of cursed blood-addicted corpses. :P

Quote from: Captain America on October 26, 2014, 10:06:20 PM
All I ask is to be able to play a Tremere. :)

If Vampire is what the majority picks (which at the moment it's in the lead but I'll give it a few more days), then there will be time to decide which sect we want to go with. :-)

VonDoom

Alas, that's what most people say regarding KotE. That and how unfamiliar a setting it is, but between archaic vampiric societies, tribal werewolves, fantasy rpgs and other such things I never really understood that argument.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Josietta

* Josietta totally would play a Brujah or maybe a Torrie

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Pumpkin Seeds

Kindred of the East is an entirely different view of vampires than most people are used to handling along with a completely different set of cultural norms and ideas than most Western people are familiar.  While an awesome style and setup, the game is very different and very grounded in Eastern philosophy and culture.  White Wolf did too good of a job with it in my opinion.

And as for Vampire Clans..hmm.  Lasombra are always my favorites, but I can also go for a Ventrue.