My governor wants to create jobs by laying off 1300 state employees.

Started by DrFier, March 16, 2010, 01:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrFier

Is this bad?
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

Scribbles

Well, he certainly achieved his goal... Thirteen thousand openings.

If I may, are there any articles on the issue? I'm sure he had some form of plan or that there is more to the story than meets the eye.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

September

Some of my ons.

DrFier

Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

Scribbles

I didn't read it in its entirety, just enough to understand the gist of it, but from what I gathered the governor is trying to rectify a financial issue caused by overspending. Sounds like he made a tough and unpopular decision; I hope it bares fruit.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Vekseid

A liquidity shortage amidst a general resource surplus is not solved by restricting liquidity further. This is not Zimbabwe, we actually do produce a lot of stuff >: (

RubySlippers

If you don't like this then would you be willing in NJ to pay more taxes so the state has more money?

DrFier

Quote from: Scribbles on March 16, 2010, 06:48:53 PM
I didn't read it in its entirety, just enough to understand the gist of it, but from what I gathered the governor is trying to rectify a financial issue caused by overspending. Sounds like he made a tough and unpopular decision; I hope it bares fruit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have this work. It would be great if it singlehandedly ended the recession. I just doubt that it will.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

DrFier

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 16, 2010, 08:00:25 PM
If you don't like this then would you be willing in NJ to pay more taxes so the state has more money?

We are. Some of the funding he cut was the tax rebates. He's cutting spending and raising taxes.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Vekseid on March 16, 2010, 07:17:33 PM
A liquidity shortage amidst a general resource surplus is not solved by restricting liquidity further. This is not Zimbabwe, we actually do produce a lot of stuff >: (

Trouble is, we've got a shortage of a very essential resource: crude oil.  Thus far, the shortage has manifested itself in the form of higher prices rather than an actual inability to obtain the stuff (thank God!). 

But much of this epic recession is because we live in a country built on $20 to $25/bbl oil that is now having to strain to get by on $80/bbl oil.  This means that everything from energy to plastics to a whole host of other materials have become much more expensive.

RubySlippers

Quote from: DrFier on March 16, 2010, 08:22:41 PM
We are. Some of the funding he cut was the tax rebates. He's cutting spending and raising taxes.

Good, then cutting spending is then something that must be done. Must I note like Florida property taxes are getting decimated from the gorge years, people are spending less that is less in sales taxes so naturally every government at the state level or lower is looking at cuts. In Florida run by Republicans they are raising "fees" not taxes since taxes are a no-no here to raise.

In my city and county they are thinking of closing parks and reducing library hours and days of service so you think you have it bad.

Tribalz

The article is very...Right wing ^^* And I'm not sure it's the type of thinking we need right now. 'Course, I don't pay taxes yet, being under the legal amount to earn without tax in Britain, and I don't have a degree in economics, so I'm not an expert. But when the experts muck up as much as they did in this recession...It doesn't lend itself to hope for the masses. But what I believe is that the "Greater good" is important. And if that means a larger government, then that's what it needs.

It's odd. I'm studying political philosophy, and I keep an ear to the news every day, and I still don't understand economics; unless, of course, there's not much to understand in the first place.
Ons & Offs

Also, appologies to anyone RP'ing with me. It's been a -very- merry Christmas! ^^*