Fear the path that they may tread.

Flower

Today's word of the day is....

nimiety
noun nih-MYE-uh-tee

Definition
1 : excess, redundancy

Kit Cat

To the tune of Chim Chim Cher-ee from Mary Poppins…

Nim nimiety,
Nim nimiety
Nim nim, uh-tee!
A writer is as lucky
As lucky can be.

Nim nimiety,
Nim nimiety
Nim nim, uh-roo!
Good luck will rub off when
I sing songs for you
Or read one of me poems
Cos I write them too!

Now as the pen of life
‘As written its book
You may think a writer’s
Missing her pluck

But as I spend’s me time
With words of the day
I muse when I see em,
And then decide to play.

Nim nimiety,
Nim nimiety
Nim nim, uh-tee!
This song is excessive
In its redundancy.

Nim nimiety,
Nim nimiety
Nim nim, uh-roo!
If you don’t like it
Then please write one too.

If you just don’t like it
Then please write one toooooooooooooooo.

The Green One

He uses a nimiety of green on his posts.

Not available for new stories

Jaclyn

How can we hide behind our anonymity when we suffer such daily nimiety

The Green One

He sat down on the couch, seriously looking into his father's eyes and proceeded to give a lengthy sophistry about why he needed a new computer.

Nymphadora

He coaxed her forward, his eyes kind and smile soft with that benevolent hand extended. But she knew, even as she stepped closer, he was not as he seemed. The young woman was close to her first change, the full moon was coming and this man, this much older wolf was telling her he could guide her through it. Help her learn to live amongst the humans despite the bite that had changed her forever. Her senses were heightened, she could smell the deceit in his mind. He would be her mentor, her Alpha, but she knew there was evil in there as well.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

The Green One

It was early in the morning. Too early, and he was now suffering the consequences of his vespertine round of gaming. His eyes barely opened to the dim light filtering through the blinds and the heat from outside seemed to cling to his skin. He sat up on the bed and stretched his body, his stomach growling, his head spinning. Slowly, he stood up, crossing the threshold leading outside of his room as he peregrinated towards the kitchen. The short distance between both areas of the house felt immense at such early hour, but the effort of taking each step across the cold floor presented him the ultimate reward. The fridge. And more specifically, the freezer, containing the panacea of the modern gods known as ice cream.

Remec

Somewhere in a dimly lit, starkly furnished office, a phone rang. On the third ring, as per protocol, a slender feminine hand picked up and answered, "Hello? Ministry of Excessive Redundancy, how may I direct your call?"

A heavy cough came through the line and a rasping sort of irregular, labored breathing. Then a deep, male voice said, "Nimiety, must have some."

The receptionist nodded to herself and smiled as she replied, "Well, you certainly called the right place for that. One moment and I'll put you through to the Secretary."

8-)

Lilias

The room looked like a luxury boudoir, all jewel-toned upholstery and fresh flowers, its windows opening to a breathtaking view of the domes of the Sacré-Cœur and, further off, hazy in the early morning mist, the silhouette of the Eiffel Tower. It looked like a place of indulgence and decadence, not hard decisions, and the two men did not look impressed.

Neither did the two women facing them, though not for the same reasons. Shoddy suits, trying to make up with flash what they lack in craft. And sunglasses indoors? Please.

‘We were promised an operative capable of working solo,’ said the man in blue. ‘Not a child.’ He jerked his chin towards the younger woman. Admittedly, she did look like a socialite prepping for a showjumping event, impeccably turned out in suede jodhpurs, riding boots, a sleek black turtleneck and a blonde ponytail, not a hair out of place.

The older woman, equally impeccable in a cashmere cardigan and a string of pearls, seemed unruffled. ‘You asked for ability,’ she said smoothly, ‘you did not specify packaging. I can assure you that Margot has all you need, and more.’

The two men’s eyes flicked back to the girl, who smiled, a touch smugly. ‘Do not worry, gentlemen,’ she said, her accent more pronounced than her superior’s. ‘C’est mon métier.’ And just like that, the atmosphere in the sunny room turned decidedly sinister.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lilias

‘I won’t lie, it’s a hard deal. Long hours, close scrutiny, competition out the wazoo, backstabbing is not out of the question. Regardless, I believe you’ve got what it takes to pull it off.’

‘Joy and jubilation, and the pinnacle of compliments. What else could I possibly want from my career?’

‘Dammit, Lou. We need someone in, and the necessary skill set is pretty unique. Just keep your temper in check and don’t get yourself fired until we verify the lead. Is it that hard?’

‘I don’t know, is it? The way you’re painting it, I’m about to step onto the set of The Devil Wears Prada.’

‘Nothing so glamorous, I’m afraid, but then you won’t have to last as long.’

‘How long are we talking about?’

‘Three to six months should do it. We should be able to pull you out ahead of schedule, if the leads prove solid enough.’

‘And then I can get myself fired?’

Goddammit, Lou, why can’t you just quit and be done with it?’

‘Burning bridges is a lot more satisfying. Not to mention memorable.’

‘No kidding.’
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

The Green One

With a painful howl to the clouded skies he changed into his zoomorphic being, his edacious instincts quickly taking over him. The need to snaffle the life of a prey oftentimes carried him too close to human settlements, where he hid in the shadows and waited. A visceral feeling growing, heating his body as he lurked behind the tree line. The werewolf was patient, carefully picking his meal for the night, as his golden eyes landed on a solitary man, heading outside the village.

RampantDesires

cerebrate
verb SAIR-uh-brayt

Definition
1 : to use the mind : think

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Kit Cat

It’s time to celebrate,
Our chance to cerebrate.
Be sure to mark the date,
So you won’t be too late.

No need to delegate,
Or to ask a random mate.
Just accept your fate,
And please don’t denigrate.

This need we have to sate,
It will feel so great.
If you don’t arrogate,
Or try to dictate!

I will invigilate,
As you investigate.
So, don’t sit and wait.
Let’s collaborate!

Remec

"Ugh...I swear. If I hadn't installed your brain myself, I would tend to side with those who think you're the next best thing to useless," Dr Rachel Zee told the rather hulking figure kneeling at her feet. She sighed lightly and gently shook her head while the details of her creation's latest faux pas still ran through her brain.

"But, Doctor...I thought...."

She interrupted him with a loud snapping voice, "Thought? Well, that's good, I had beginning to wonder if you had the capacity to cerebrate at all."

Lilias

You don’t get to meet a legend every day, and that was what was about to happen at the Conservatory.

The guest coming in to give a masterclass could not possibly have a more star-studded resume. Vera Olegina Kolesnikova had blazed through the world of opera like the brightest meteor ever, achieving in just over a short decade what many other singers took twice as long to manage, if at all. A product of the old Russian school of training, the coloratura soprano against whom all others were measured and found wanting, her vocal pyrotechnics were immortalised in a dozen or so recordings, and people who had seen her perform on stage--everywhere and with everyone worth performing with--swore that she was not a whit less secure away from the studio.

Her career had been cut short when some health issue left her partially disabled. She had retired from public life for a few years, apparently sorting herself out as best she could, and then she had started giving masterclasses at the most prestigious music schools worldwide. Over thirty years later, she was still at it, steadily and quietly, because the showbiz that had raised her to prima donna assoluta had moved on, no longer interested in an aging teacher.

That didn’t stop students fighting over a place in her courses and coming out of them all mystified and unable (or unwilling) to describe the sessions in terms more specific than ‘quite an experience’. An experience that my best friend and I were about to share in, today.

Well, you know the saying. Never meet your heroes. They’re bound to be different from what you imagined them to be.

The saying is right. They can be so much more.
~Wendell Berry

The Green One

The doughty explorer walked back and forth the entire area of the small island within hours, as if making a mental map of everything that seemed important as he gathered dry wood to build a fire for the night. Sitting there, at the heat of the flames, caressed by soft oceanic airs and soothed by the calm song of the seas, the lonely captain looked up to the stellar roof over his head and smiled. He had no food left on his ship, there was no fresh water, and the next day would eventually greet him with the fervid rays of an eternal summer sun. Yet, he smiled, sure that somehow, he'll survive.

RampantDesires

gumption
noun GUMP-shun

Definition
1 chiefly dialectal : common sense, horse sense

2 : enterprise, initiative

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Kit Cat

Andy flew backwards through the door, smashing it into splinters with the weight of his body, before landing hard on his back; the air forced from his lungs as a result of the impact. Clutching his side, he groaned, and looked up blearily as his tormentor came through the ruins of what had been the entrance to his home, to look down at him.

“If yow ay got the gumption tah keep away from the hoss track, when yow already owe us yow’re arm and leg, Andy, then there ain’t no ‘ope for yow, is there?” Davies demanded in his thick Black Country accent, grabbing Andy by the lapels and pulling him to his feet, so he could stare menacingly into his eyes.

“Tell Harris I’ll get his money,” Andy begged, wanting to pull away, but knowing if he did, things would only get worse for him. “I just need some time, and a bit of luck.”

“Yow’ve ‘ad more time than we give most before we chuck ‘em in the cut, Andy,” Davies snarled, kneeling him in the stomach for good measure, in order to underline his point. “And as for luck, if yow bay ‘ad it these past few weeks, it ay gonna ‘appen now, is it?”

“Please,” he gasped, barely able to get the words out. “I’ll make good, I promise. Just let me have one more bet?”

“Sorry mate,” Davies stated flatly, pulling out his shiv. “For yow, all bets are off….”

RampantDesires

obviate
verb AHB-vee-ayt

Definition
to anticipate and prevent (something, such as a situation) or make (an action) unnecessary

Jaclyn

Oh great! This obviates the need to post anything! Have a lovely Saturday night, cuz I ain't got nobody. I got some money cuz I just got paid* ...

Wait stop halt. Typus interuptus obviatus. Just go to sleep Jaclyn! It's just too late!

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
* with apologies to Sam Cooke

RampantDesires

mercurial
adjective mer-KYUR-ee-ul

Definition
1 : of, relating to, or born under the planet Mercury

2 : having the qualities of eloquence, ingenuity, or thievishness attributed to the god Mercury or to the influence of the planet Mercury

3 : characterized by rapid and unpredictable changeableness of mood

4 : of, relating to, containing, or caused by mercury

RampantDesires

declivity
noun dih-KLIV-uh-tee

Definition
1 : downward inclination

2 : a descending slope