News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

Today's word of the day is...

Fustigate
verb FUSS-tuh-gayt

Definition

1 : to beat with or as if with a short heavy club : cudgel

2 : to criticize severely

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Sam Alexis Lee

To get over stress, it is critical to make it a physical object. Whether it is an annoying celebrity or a habit you cannot get rid of. Print it on paper and fustigate it until you feel better. :D

My preferences info → Ons / OffsRP Status: Looking for partnersPlayer Status: working / normal RP hours

Shores

If you are going to fustigate her, it is better to use the club with nails embedded in them. Or perhaps you would prefer our premium club with the diamond studs instead?

Mellific

unbeknownst
adjective un-bih-NOHNST

Definition
1 : happening or existing without the knowledge of someone specified — usually used with to

2 : not known or not well-known : unknown

O/O | A/A | MM

Mellific

“How do you feel about sharing?” He asked with just the slightest hint of mischief in his tone, something unseen tugging his grin into a smirk.

It was an innocent enough question, she supposed. Though it could have been taken in a number of ways. Sharing what; Food? Money?

“I don’t mind sharing,” she responded without much thought and a nonchalant shrug of her shoulder.

“In that case, I’d like to introduce you to my wife.” He smoothly remarked, urging her to follow him.

She blinked in her confusion, her expression shifting to one of uncertainty.

“...Your wife?” She questioned, having thought this handsome, bearded man was flirting with her with the best of intentions. Or at the very least, that he was showing interest because he was single.

Unbeknownst to her, he had a very specific plan in motion; convincing her to become their unicorn.

O/O | A/A | MM

Oreo

Unbeknownst to many, the word was labeled out of use back in 1926, with the exception of dialect and for use by the uneducated. Be it known throughout the lands that unbeknownst to them the word would continue to this very day. OMG! Does this mean I am uneducated...or I speak with a dialect? Could be it is part of the Californian experience.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Flower

boondoggle
noun BOON-dah-gul

Definition
Definition
1 : a braided cord worn by Boy Scouts as a neckerchief slide, hatband, or ornament

2 : a wasteful or impractical project or activity often involving graft

Shores

The dam was a boondoggle since it didn't hold any water back at all and flooded the plains. The wizard had to use his golems to block out the tide of rising water.

Heinakori

John's Colleague: “John, look at me. No, not your hands, look at me. It breaks my heart to tell you that.. this project of yours is dead. It’s a zombie, John, in our company. A gangrene. And dead things need to be cut off from the living things, John. Sometimes we just need to.. let go.
You have to face it, nobody wants to buy these ‘Happy Woggles’ from retail, not even lazy boy scouts. The market's too narrow. Your project, John, gosh this is hard to say like this, but it’s literally a boondoggle.
John. Let it go.
Let it go.
No need to cry, mate.
Just let it go.
There, there."
O/O

persephone325

Yesterday's word of the day was....

whelm
verb WHELM

Definition
1 : to turn (something, such as a dish or vessel) upside down usually to cover something : to cover or engulf completely with usually disastrous effect

2 : to overcome in thought or feeling : overwhelm

3 : to pass or go over something so as to bury or submerge it
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Shores

He decided to whelm his feelings for her by burying himself in his work. It wasn't until years later that they realised they had liked each other all along.

Heinakori

“This is not overwhelming. Not even nearly overwhelming. This isn’t anything I couldn’t cope.”, John swore as he broke off yet another leg of the kitchen table. “I’m an intuitive guy. I’m smart.”, he continued on his path of self-assurance when-ever doubt did raise it’s ugly head. "I'm a civilized man. The top of the food-chain. A winner."
It took John a few moments to squeeze the table out of the broken office window, and yet another moment to check if it truly had enough buoyancy, or should he add few empty plastic drinking canisters on it. After making quick preparations, and dashing to prevent the raft from floating away twice, he tossed a loose kitchen sink on his crude raft.
“I..”, he said as he straightened his tie as an act of defiance against mother nature. “.. am a survivor.” And then he climbed out of the window.
John splashed on the murky water with a yelp. It was more than a struggle for John to get on his crude raft of empty Eden-freshwater bottles and a kitchen table, but not a struggle enough to make him give up. No, not even near.
Using the kitchen sink as an improvised paddle, John proceeded to row his way through the skyscrapers whelmed by flood water.
“This.. is just another Tuesday!”
O/O

RampantDesires

Today's word of the day is....

shenanigan
noun shuh-NAN-ih-gun

Definition
1 : a devious trick used especially for an underhand purpose

2 a : tricky or questionable practices or conduct — usually used in plural

b : high-spirited or mischievous activity — usually used in plural

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Shores

There was to be no shenanigans at the border and so the former terror suspect was turned around.

persephone325

Today's word of the day is....

roseate
adjective ROH-zee-ut

Definition
1 : resembling a rose especially in color

2 : overly optimistic : viewed favorably
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Shores

She had a roseate view of the world which was going to be smashed when she finds her father's body.

Mellific

abrogate
verb AB-ruh-gayt

Definition
1 : to abolish by authoritative action : annul

2 : to treat as nonexistent

O/O | A/A | MM

Shores

The only way to abrogate the wedding was to go through the legal courts and annul it.

Flower

epithet
noun EP-uh-thet

Definition
1 : a characterizing word or phrase accompanying or occurring in place of the name of a person or thing

2 : a disparaging or abusive word or phrase

3 : the part of a taxonomic name identifying a subordinate unit within a genus

Shores

She has been known by the epithet "fastest baker in town" since she was a young girl, and could churn out breads by the dozen at a lightning quick pace. Her speed got her the attention of the king who hired her to go to famine-hit places in the kingdom to convert their flour into bread.

Mellific

mantic
adjective MAN-tik

Definition
: of or relating to the faculty of divination : prophetic

O/O | A/A | MM

Suzie Shalmirane

Quote from: Flower on June 07, 2018, 11:39:09 AM

boondoggle
noun BOON-dah-gul

Definition
Definition
1 : a braided cord worn by Boy Scouts as a neckerchief slide, hatband, or ornament

2 : a wasteful or impractical project or activity often involving graft

I’m never quite sure how I get involved in these things. I mean, I’m just a grunt, a cog in the machine so I’m the last one to know where we are headed, let alone why we are going there. So, I’m not the least bit surprised when my boss showed up this morning with the latest and greatest new idea from corporate.

We started out on this boondoggle a little more than a week ago and none of us has any idea what we’re accomplishing by taking soil samples wherever the suits from headquarters tell us to. We’re fifteen miles upriver from the trailhead, camped in a little meadow at the end of the maintained trail. In truth, it’s not a bad spot for a base camp but we’ve been out here long enough that camping is rapidly losing its appeal. That despite the fact we’ve had regular resupply brought by guys who must be even lower on the food chain than we are.

I know I’m the ‘chosen one’ when I see Chuck, my boss, striding across the campsite with that glint in his eye that tells me I’m headed further into the boonies. “So, what’s up boss? How am I being punished today?" I ask with a grin. He knows I really don’t mind this work, but I have to give him a little flack, just to keep him honest.

“Well, Dave, corporate wants us to take some samples at a location about five miles north and two thousand feet higher on a little nob named Bear Ridge. Henry and Josh will be going with you and you’ll have to plan on being out overnight. I’ll give you the GPS coordinates and looking at the map, it seems pretty straight forward. We have a resupply arriving tomorrow so there will be steak for dinner when you get back.” Chuck explains with an almost apologetic look on his face. “And before you ask, I have no idea why they want samples from that location. You know how they are.”

“Got it boss. We’ll be out of here within the hour. I’m counting on that steak when we get back!” I tell him as I turn to pack my gear.

Heinakori

Blazing embers rattled against the planked floor. The air was thick with black smoke. Loud clacking sounds of splintered planks, spiced with few flaming crackles, acted as a whispery epilogue of the roaring explosion. Swarms of sparks swirled within the dark drape that now cut the battlefield in half. The sparks gave it character.

"You got me all wrong, revered Wellfast.", the dark mage coughed a miniature swirl of smoke. His boring grey robes were torn, burnt and charred into a black, fiery veil that roared in contrast against his bony pale limbs. Skeletal fingers, stiff and crooked, were extended towards the twisting wall of smoke. The very last pair of his thin hair had been burnt into oblivion, making his baldness raise up to skeletal levels. "I'm now more than what I was!"

"So, you are still alive?", a genuinely surprised voice coughed from the other side of the curtain. "How fascinating. I was confident that your feeble skills in conducting and redirecting magical energy would've served as a fitting end for you. Perhaps we have miscalculated your abilities in magical arts, my dear boy.", and with those words, a sudden gush of unnatural wind blew away the cindering smoke, revealing the wizard behind it. Councilor Wellfast was the polar opposite of Aep Cair: he was a bright, ripe apple against a half-charred stick of Cair. He had draped himself in colorful robes, filled with silk and complicated magical ornaments, and with the sprinkles and sparkles of all the heavy jewelry he carried made him look like a very pompous garden gnome of royal standards. He even had the same gnomishly eerie smile on his round and reddish face. "Very well. I shall grant you a wizard's death."
What was a wizarding duel without an extended, dramatic talk? A dazzling, yet short spectacle of flashing lights and puffs of ozone on their own would've been quite boring. A dramatic talk did all the necessary build-up for a good duel. Even Councilor Wellfast knew this and thus he set his short, plump arms behind his back and politely nodded to his rather crisped adversary to have his own go.
Traditions before all, they say.

Aep Cair bark out a single and sharp "Ha!" before sneering his pale white face into a crumbled twist. "I'm no mere wizard!", Cair couldn't even hold out spitting saliva between his crooked, yellow teeth. "You fat and insolent, arrogant and unimaginative bauble-vendors think that you are "The Magic". With your pathetic laws and restraints, you close your eyes from the true nature of magic! You cannot chain power!", his shriek slashed through the battlefield. "After your precious tower is eradicated and you with it, your laws will be abrogated, your legacy wiped!"

"You speak of forbidden schools, young Cair! Look what the Necromantic arts have done to you. You have distorted into the very image you seek to control, Racipae: the dead! Honestly, you should have focused into priesthoods and the, so to say, softer mantic arts.."

Aep Cair's eyes flashed in shock as Wellfast announced his name. Racipae. His old name. The name which he was summoned when was nothing but a dependency of these old men and their knowledge. The sympathetic, even gentle face of Wellfast and his round red cheeks made his heart nudge. A brief nudge.
"Your arrogance..", Cair felt the black snakes of hate slithering up from his gut. ".. shall be your undoing.. and your epithet! Die, fat fool!", he roared and thrust his black wand forth.

And then came the dazzling, bright lights, and the tremoring words of magic...
O/O

Flower

defenestration

noun dee-fen-uh-STRAY-shun

Definition
1 : a throwing of a person or thing out of a window

2 : a usually swift dismissal or expulsion (as from a political party or office)

Shores

Her mantic powers were awakened when she touched the crystal ball.