~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shores

The five soldiers aggress against the machine gunners would prove fatal for the campaign, as they destroyed the stronghold immediately with the rapid fire of their newly captured weapons.

RampantDesires

Today's word of the day is...

winsome
adjective WIN-sum

Definition
1 : generally pleasing and engaging often because of a childlike charm and innocence

2 : cheerful, lighthearted

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Shores

He has such a winsome smile that I can't help but delight in wiping it off his face by telling him his puppy has just died. The wrath I incurred from his father was worth it, even if it caused our whole village to burn to the ground.

Flower

I was studying for my Calculus test when a loud commotion caught not only my attention but also the librarian, Ms. Saunders. It was coming from Zacharias Holt's table.

From what I overheard in those few seconds, his paper had been selected as a finalist in the state competition. The winner’s article would be submitted to a rather prolific academic journal. There was prize money involved as well.

Just as I'd been about to refocus my attention and Ms. Saunders supervised their leaving of the library, Zach turned around and discovered me staring at him.

This was not my first time staring at Zacharias Holt. He was one of the top students in Cherry High and not because his dad was the principal. Cherry High was not your typical high school. Your popularity depended on your performance, not in sports or even in some quick rump in the bed.

Grades and grade point average meant everything. Only Cherry High could make someone hate rainbows.

Why? Parent-Teacher conferences happened four times during the school year. Parents would dress better for these ritualistic meetings than they would for Sunday church service. By the end of the night, a student’s report could remain black and white or it could glow with bloody reds, pissy yellows, and bruised purples.

Our eyes met. Zach's winsome smile faded; replaced with a look of utter disdain. I returned his gesture with my best noiseless snarl.

Zacharias was going down this year.

There could only be one valedictorian.

Lilias

Grandma didn't waste time. She called me into her room before the last guests of the funeral breakfast had even left. 'Here,' she said, handing me an apparently ancient shoe box. 'Yours now. No one left to stop you.'

I sat on the edge of her bed and opened the box. It was full of old, yellowed letters, some photos and a dilapidated diary. Most was in Grandpa's handwriting, but there were a few letters in a hand I had never seen before - clumsy, tentative, almost childish.

'You wanted to know about Margarita, and now you can,' added Grandma, before I could even ask. 'I'd have talked a lot earlier, but your Gramps wouldn't hear of it.'

Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather. Margarita was the big family secret - Grandpa's first wife. All I knew was that he had met her as a young correspondent in the Spanish Civil War, that he had brought her back with him, that she had borne him a daughter and had perished with her during the Blitz. Grandpa had steadfastly refused to say anything more; once I mentioned, only half-seriously, that I wanted to go on one of those genealogy shows and find out, and he thundered at me to not bloody dare if I knew what was good for me. Grandma disagreed; she wouldn't go openly against his wishes while he lived, but here she was now, handing me the keepsakes I assumed he had held on to until the end of his life.

'Did you know her, Grandma?'

'Met her, yes. Can't say as I knew her much, though. But she was a winsome lass who made your Gramps very happy and suffered very much. She didn't deserve to be forgotten.'

'Have you read these?' I held up the diary. A brittle sepia photograph slipped out of its pages with the movement and landed in my lap - Margarita with her daughter in her lap, a wartime Madonna.

'No. Not my place. You're the only one left who cares. Take them home and find out what you always wanted without going on TV.'

She had no idea what kind of rabbithole she was sending me down.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

RampantDesires

muliebrity
Noun myoo-lee-EB-ruh-tee

Definition
: the quality of being a woman : femininity

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Shores

Her muliebrity was further enhanced by the lace wedding dress she wore. She was the epitome of charm and grace as she glided down the long walkway.

persephone325

Today's word of the day is....

unfettered
adjective un-FET-erd

Definition
: free, unrestrained
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Shores

His music playing was as unfettered as the birds on the breeze, which was why he raised the ire of his master, who had become trapped by the riches of his various wins. He had lost his freedom to create, pushed around by the desires of the general public.

Kyranna

The young girl's unfettered laughter as she ran down the corridor brought light and joy back into the dark hallways of the nursing home. It was a joyous reminder that rules are sometimes meant to be broken.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

Lilias

When he arrived home from the hospital, his sister-in-law was in the conservatory with the children. They all had unravelling daisy chains in their hair and grass stains on their dresses, so it must have been a rambunctious afternoon out in the garden, but right now they were having a tea party with as much decorum as if the Queen herself was in attendance.

He had always adored the young woman’s unfettered enthusiasm for even the most childish things, her boundless good nature towards everyone and everything smaller than herself… and he hated himself for having to be the one to deliver the news that would crush her. Still, he deserved to hear from him, not from some faceless stranger, that her sister, the only blood family she had left, would not be coming home again.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

persephone325

Yesterday's word of the day was....

besot
verb bih-SAHT

Definition
1 : infatuate

2 : to make dull or stupid; especially : to muddle with drunkenness
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Shores

In order to besot him, she tried every means of enchantment, including inflicting sex dreams on him and making him allergic to others girls through her spells. It was only when he found out about her talent for magic that he truly fell for her.

Mellific

Today's word if the day is...

railler
noun RAIL-uh-ree

Definition
1 : good-natured ridicule : banter

2 : an instance of joking or ridicule : jest

O/O | A/A | MM

Lilias

Why do you want to hear about Luca? Nay, don’t answer that; it is an old, half-forgotten story and I think I know just who you’ve been hanging out with, if you’re interested.

You’ve heard the rumours about Luca, haven’t you? Well, he was worse than that. Most of the people who knew him are dead now, or far away, but I remember, and trust me on that, he was a scoundrel of the first order. He would besot himself with a different girl in every village, turn her head with his music and his craft, and once the sweetness wore off, he would be on to someone else. There were plenty of tears in his wake, and perhaps a secret visit to the midwife here and there, but once the wagons had moved on, there was not much the families could do. He was clever to ply only girls of the settled folk, none of his own travelling people. News flies fast among travellers, while the settled folk would not see him again for years, and likely not even recognise him.

The one time he broke his rule and went after the old puri daj’s granddaughter was his undoing. He was probably trying to trick her into marrying him - none of the chiefs would give a kinswoman of theirs to a ruffian like him, and Reina’s grandmother had no way to object him. In the end, it was no chaperone or protector he should have worried about. Reina well and truly made an example of him, all by herself.
~Wendell Berry

Shores

The two siblings' railler caused their father to laugh as the brother called his sister a poopyhead and she called him a poopymouth in return.

RampantDesires

Today's word if the day is...

garrulous
adjective GAIR-uh-lus

Definition
1 : given to prosy, rambling, or tedious loquacity : pointlessly or annoyingly talkative

2 : using or containing many and usually too many words : wordy

Lilias

When Julien had asked if she would like to come out for a stroll with him, Francine had enthusiastically accepted. But that was the day before, and right now she had never been more nervous in her life.

The afternoon had gone wrong from the get-go. Francine had been late, because she had torn her stocking with the hooks of her skirt (how on earth had that even happened?). When she’d finally come down, her mother had disapproved quite vocally of how much makeup she was wearing, which made Francine turn scarlet even under her powder. Julien had looked faintly amused and asked her if she wanted to sit somewhere, to which she had promptly suggested the pastry shop in the central square, refusing to even consider his suggestion of going further down towards the waterfront. And then Francine had ended up talking about nothing in particular all along the way, increasingly unnerved by the silence Julien seemed content to let stretch. She wasn’t even sure she had made a good choice anymore, but it was too late to turn around and go somewhere else.

They had barely sat down when the waitress came for their orders. Without missing a beat, Julien requested ‘two scoops of chocolate ice cream for mademoiselle and a measure of Armagnac for myself’. Francine managed to wait until the waitress was out of earshot before sighing in defeat.

‘It looks like I’m showcasing all my flaws before you tonight, aren’t I? Tardy, vain, selfish, gluttonous - did I get everything?’

‘You forgot garrulous,’ added Julien evenly, but his eyes were crinkling up.

Francine sighed again. ‘You’re right, I’m doing all the talking, I’m sorry…’

‘Hey.’ Julien reached out to cover one of her hands with his own. ‘I’m not mad. And I’m sorry for keeping you in the dark like this. Just wait for our treats and I’ll tell you everything. Promise.’
~Wendell Berry

Mellific

petard
noun puh-TAHRD

Definition
1 : a case containing an explosive to break down a door or gate or breach a wall

2 : a firework that explodes with a loud report

O/O | A/A | MM

RampantDesires

The silence stretched between them, long enough that it settled upon them almost like a physical weight.  It was only when she saw his shoulders slump with it that she forcibly straightened her own and cleared her throat loudly to break the tension.  "Come on now, you've never been particularly garrulous, but these pregnant pauses in conversation are starting to drive me crazy.  Are we done then for tonight?  It has been a rather long day and I'm exhausted.  What happened wasn't your fault Braden.  I don't ... blame you for anything.  Was I hurt in the moment? Absolutely.  Angry?  Gods you have no idea.  But those things got me through the next few years and I am better for them."

"I didn't, you know I didn't mean for things to happen that way.  Your father could be .."  She cut him off with an indelicate snort.

"Oh, please, I do not need reminders on 'how my father could be' I am still painfully aware of his maniacal need to control those around him. I know WHY you did it Braden.  And part of me is glad.  I am glad that you were there for my sister.  I hope that you managed to protect her from the weight of his manipulation and expectations.  She was always the more, I guess I'll be diplomatic here and say pliable of the two of us.  I always worried that she would kill herself trying to please him..."

This time it was HER turn to be the herald of the uncomfortable silence.   

"She died in childbirth Althea," the admission was low as though the words pained him still to say outloud.  "As did our daughter.  I'm sorry.  I tried to send word, but I wasn't sure you would get it.  Your surprise aboard the ship seems to indicate that you did not.  I always thought that you knew, friends, contacts, hell the Nezerra are supposed to have the most extensive network of spies and informants in the world.  How could you NOT know."

"I didn't want to know Braden!" The words came out in a harsh whisper.  She was ashamed to admit it, but he had been honest with her and deserved nothing but the same in return.  "I did not want to hear about you and your idyllic life.  It was best if I just pushed all of you, father, Adara, that part of my life aside.  What was I supposed to do?  Travel home to visit my niece on her birthday?  Sneak past my father to spend time with my sister? Look at the pair of you and pretend that everything was fine and seeing you together didn't freshly rip out part of my heart? I couldn't, nor could I read reports and do nothing.  So I just assumed that things were fine. That you were happy, that SHE was happy and that made things more bearable.  I'm sorry that you lost her, that the world lost her.  She was a truly good and decent person, far too kind and soft heated to deal with the hand that life dealt her at times, and I loved her too dammit, but I refuse to apologize for my actions, for taking care of myself for all these years."

A low sound somewhat close to a growl emerged from him.  "That's not what I want, not what I came here for tonight..." again her voice cut through his mid-sentence.

"Why DID you come here Braden?  To reminisce?  To get some kind of absolution?  Well consider yourself absolved and us caught up on old times."

"You are the most stubborn, ill-tempered woman I have EVER met." The sigh he gave was world-weary and she thought he would turn and take his leave then, her deliberately flippant comments driving him away as they usually did.  Instead she was surprised when large arms came around her in a tight bear hug, her face pressed against the hard wall of his chest, her startled meep muffled but still audible in the small room.  "I came here to tell you thank you and to tell you that I'm sorry, for the pain you've suffered on my behalf now, and then, but only you could make this process so bloody difficult."

"What can I say .. it's my gift."

His low laugh vibrated against her cheek and Althea found herself relaxing slowly, a true bone deep release of tension that she had not allowed herself in days, months perhaps, something soft and vulnerable uncurling within her that she hadn't felt perhaps since the last time Braden had held her like this a lifetime ago.

Well damn...

Shores

He planted the petard near the castle wall, then ran away, hoping his master's plan would work.

RampantDesires

cajole
verb kuh-JOHL

Definition
1 a : to persuade with flattery or gentle urging especially in the face of reluctance : coax

b : to obtain from someone by gentle persuasion

2 : to deceive with soothing words or false promises

persephone325

Today's word of the day is....

homogeneous
adjective hoh-muh-JEEN-yus

Definition
1 : of the same or a similar kind or nature

2 : of uniform structure or composition throughout
I don't know.

Sam Alexis Lee

While taking a shower, many thoughts ran through Sam's mind. "If you think about it, society is not homogeneous. I mean there are short people and tall people, sexy or cute, or even evil and nice. People always say all humans are the same, we are all DNA and all come from Africa. But now that society has grown out, I'd say there are some differences that make us similar at the same time."

"HEY SAM!! STOP TALKING TO YOURSELF ... "

Grumbling to herself, "I really need to get my own place ... "

"NEERRDD!!"

:p

My preferences info → Ons / OffsRP Status: Looking for partnersPlayer Status: working / normal RP hours

Sam Alexis Lee

Quote from: Sam Alexis Lee on May 26, 2018, 04:02:09 AM
While taking a shower, many thoughts ran through Sam's mind. "If you think about it, society is not homogeneous. I mean there are short people and tall people, sexy or cute, or even evil and nice. People always say all humans are the same, we are all DNA and all come from Africa. But now that society has grown out, I'd say there are some differences that make us similar at the same time."

"HEY SAM!! STOP TALKING TO YOURSELF ... "

Grumbling to herself, "I really need to get my own place ... "

"NEERRDD!!"

:p

Milk, Gatorade, and Beer. All these are considered homogenous mixtures, meaning they have a uniform appearance and composition. Stuff that are not homogenous include pizza and a chunky banana protein shake with kale and seeds.

P.S. I can't edit so I fixed it with another post :p

My preferences info → Ons / OffsRP Status: Looking for partnersPlayer Status: working / normal RP hours