~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RampantDesires

Today's word of the day is....

hachure
verb ha-SHUR

Definition
: to denote surfaces in relief (as on a map) by shading with short lines drawn in the direction of slope

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Chanticleer

From The Hobbit: Behind the Scenes, Chapter 11.

As the disgruntled dwarves huddled in the shade of the cold stone, Bilbo Baggins partook of his last meager threads of pipeweed, stuffing his broken-stemmed pipe with a deliberately loud sigh. "This Ancient moon-runic nonsense," he observed, "...And lurking about in the hopes of random Passerines is for the birds, quite."

Bilbo brushed crumbs from their latest breakfast (more of that accursed Dalian cram) from a flat stone and carefully unfolded the map, squinting at it in the afternoon sun.

"Here now, that was in my pack!" Thorin objected, straightening up and tugging his tunic down over his sagging gut (there is nothing quite so sad as a dwarf with a sagging gut, although a hobbit without pipeweed is close).

"You have contracted me to burgle," Bilbo observed, without glancing at the irate dwarf. "...And burgle I shall. Now, look here? The cartographer uses a very thick brush to delineate the edges of the Mountain, and a much finer one to do detailing. Exquisitely careful detailing! Observe how all of the hachuring is almost parallel?"

"Gesundheit," said one of the dwarves.

"...All but this tiny spot here," continued Bilbo, tapping the map with the broken stem of his pipe. "Where it's quite obvious that the parchment was scraped, roughening it, and the artist hachured at a slightly different angle." He glanced mildly at the dwarves, but had the sense to shift aside slightly as Thorin lowered close.

"...Clearly, the artist was hiding a secret door."

"Nonsense," Thorin shaded his eyes to look at the map (for the sun is not kind to dwarves). "More likely he was removing a coffee-stain. And speaking of coffee-stains, when exactly did the map acquire this ring?"

"Ah, I'm not quite sure," Bilbo muttered, shifting aside uncomfortably at the new topic. He shooed a small brown bird away as it persistently tried to land on the map.

"In any case, I'm quite certain we're on the wrong side of the mountain, considering the hachuration."

"Bless you," said another of the dwarves, and Bilbo sighed.

EDIT: Should I move this to the Storyteller's Cafe? It appears that they have a separate forum for WotD, but most recently they seem to be using the same words from this one?
My current O/os (need work)

NewEraW

Zhala slowly allows her pen to lift from the map as she turns in a manner to greet her husband. She smiles weakly as she watches him lift up the paper and bald it between his fingers. A slight tear forms against her heart as she thought about how much effort and time she placed into doing a proper hachure of the trail that they had examined last week. She'd grown tired of this farce, they called a marriage, it was almost uncanny how unhappy she was and displeased he seemed to be with her, but she'd bite her tongue because arguing was more tedious than starting over.

She would allows the man's tantrum to subside, it wasn't like it had an anent to her. It was probably his mistress, who had upset him again. Every time things didn't go the way he wanted with Amanda, he would come home and take it out on her. Zhala had found this repeated action to be almost telegenic, as if she had been casted to one of those reality television shows she cared nothing for. She watched as he began to slowly move through the house as he grunted and fussed about how everything was a mess.

A light yep escaped her lips as she found his tight grip around her arm dragging her to the bedroom as he shoved her across the floor and pointed to a spot on the floor. She allowed herself to catch her breathe as she didn't say a word but merely studied the small stain of crimson that plagued the floor as he screamed inaudible words at her about the spot. She slowly folds her body as the rough feeling of his hand against her neck causes her to scream as he forces her into the bathroom and against the cabinet that housed the cleaning supplies. Once his hand released her she would fall to the floor as she quickly pulled out a scrub brush and a few bottles of whatever as she felt herself being dragged by leg back to the spot.

She carefully hunches over the spot as she begins to scrub as if it would make a difference. This stain of blood had been in the carpet for weeks, since their last argument when he had decided to show her who was boss. With careful eyes she would glance at him as he invigilate the cleaning and paces back and forth. In moments like this, she wonders what would her mother say about this laudable Croesus, that she had been arranged to marry. What scilicet a bit of advice could she give to her daughter, to the woman who had been broken in more ways than any lexicographer could define. A tight grip would find her chocolate colored hair as her hazel eyes were brought up to meet his icy blues, the tight grip around her cheek was enough to make caramel skin red as fought back the tears that seemed to give him pleasure. The tight hold is followed by a spiteful kiss as he looks deep into her eyes and begins to whisper.

"I just want to love you... until... death... dues... us... apart..."

PS
I am want interested in seeing if anyone is willing to push their creativity. Use the last ten words in order and try to keep the post under 550 words. Please Pm if you if you attempted this feat.
Creator of bitter sweet dreams.
O&Os
So You Think You Want to Play

RampantDesires

March 20th's word of the day is....

yegg
noun YEG

Definition
: one that breaks open safes to steal : safecracker; also : robber

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

ZephyrInk

“Has anyone called for the yegg yet?” Marcus’s eyes scanned the room. He was beginning to regret the team he had built for this heist. There were five members onboard for this. Sally was the technical brain, though he wouldn’t call her that when half the time she’s sleeping over the keyboard. Then there was Liam, he was the hustler or was supposed to be one. His last gig hadn’t worked out all too well. The old woman down the street had caught him in the act of switching disguises. Payton was the sustenance keeper, no one knew why he had wanted to be called that. Everyone had agreed that he brought food for the gang, so the least they could do was to let him give himself a title. Last and not the least was the yegg Marcus had been waiting for – none of the team members knew this person. They had heard rumours of course, stories of how he had gone international and still avoided jail time. Marcus had put all his hopes on this mysterious man or woman that they were to meet today.

No answer. He huffed and tried again before he walked over to the phone himself. Really, why had he bothered with such a team. He picked up the phone, dialed the number that had been scrawled over the table and waited. All eyes were on him the instant he had picked up the phone. There was a reason no one had heard from their biggest player yet and he was going to find out in five...four...three...two... click.

Mirrah

As she approached the closed door, she could year a man yelling from behind it.

"What?! What do you mean the yegg failed and got caught?! This is a disaster! You better fix this mess or it's going to be your ass on the line next, y'hear me?!"
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

RampantDesires

cadre
noun KAD-ray

Definition
1 : a nucleus or core group especially of trained personnel able to assume control and to train others; broadly : a group of people having some unifying relationship

2 : a cell of indoctrinated leaders active in promoting the interests of a revolutionary party

3 : a member of a cadre

4 : frame, framework

Theta Sigma

lugubrious
adjective loo-GOO-bree-us

Definition
1 : mournful; especially : exaggeratedly or affectedly mournful
2 : dismal

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

persephone325

never-never land
noun nev-er-NEV-er-LAND

Definition
: an ideal or imaginary place
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

persephone325

vanward
adjective VAN-werd

Definition
: located in the vanguard : advanced
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

persephone325

thimblerig
verb THIM-bul-rig

Definition
1 : to cheat by trickery

2 : to swindle by a trick in which a small ball or pea is quickly shifted from under one to another of three small cups to fool the spectator guessing its location
I don't know.

RampantDesires

bravado
noun bruh-VAH-doh

Definition
1 a : blustering swaggering conduct

b : a pretense of bravery

2 : the quality or state of being foolhardy

Theta Sigma

grandiose
adjective gran-dee-OHSS

Definition
1 : characterized by affectation of grandeur or splendor or by absurd exaggeration
2 : impressive because of uncommon largeness, scope, effect, or grandeur

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

RampantDesires

delegate
verb DEL-uh-gayt

Definition
1 : to entrust to another

2 : to appoint as one's representative

3 : to assign responsibility or authority

Theta Sigma

manticore
noun MAN-tih-kor

Definition
1 : a legendary animal with the head of a man, the body of a lion, and the tail of a dragon or scorpion

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

RampantDesires

"You have grandiose plans Princeling, but I fear that much of what you say will be taken as mere bravado."  The boy bristled noticeably and he turned toward her, crowding her a bit against the edge of the boat.  Did he think such a display would work?  That she was not used to facing down men far larger than she? Laughter spilled out making both men stiffen, the older looked wary while the younger flushed darkly.

"What would you know of revolutions? You're little more than a yegg, this is political strategy and not thimberligging on some street corner!" Across from the prince Braden buried his head in his hands, fingers tugging at his hair in exasperation.  These two had been picking at each other for most of the night and it was starting to wear heavily on him.  If his charge continued in this vein Althea would dump him into the ocean and truthfully he was not sure he'd stop her at this point.

Her laughter only grew stronger at his expression, "oh stop looking so lugubrious, I'm not about to pitch the boy overboard! He's far too entertaining."  There it was again, his thoughts coming out of her mouth, and some of the tension in his shoulders eased.  "He was raised on never-never land tales, with dragons and manticores.  All brave knights and obedient serfs who are happy to recognize noble intentions and sacrifice food from their tables and even their own lives to see their Lord's wishes fulfilled.  The world will break him soon enough, I'm content to let him have his fairytale Braden.  As to his opinion of me, well, I've stopped caring about what men thought of me long before today."

Shores

Drawing a manticore was no easy feat. First, she had to travel to Africa and hunt a lion down. Then, she had to open her Compendium of Fantasty Beasts and summon a demon who looked like a dragon. Last but not least, she had to knock on her neighbour's door to ask him to pose for her. It took her a week before she could summon the courage to even darken his front porch, but there was no one else she could ask, since everyone else lived too far away.

persephone325

parlous
adjective PAHR-lus

Definition
: full of danger or risk
I don't know.

RampantDesires

"That's cute, but the two of you are not coming with me."  Her smile took some of the bite out of the words but the statement still made her companions pull up short, hands frozen in the middle of divvying up their supplies onto the three serviceable horses they'd purchased from the stable near the docks.

"But it is too parlous.." her voice dropped in gruff impersonation of Braden and she could hear his soft growl of warning, he always hated when she mocked his gravely tone.  So she changed track, lifting her next words into a piping falsetto, "and I'm much too important to be left behind, this is preposterous!"  The boy opened his mouth to protest and she forestalled him with one raised hand.

"No, resign yourself to it now.  You came looking for a Nerezza to kickstart your little coup, and you found one.  We do not babysit youths or listen to the worried ramblings of old generals.  We kill people, quickly and efficiently.  If you attempt to follow me out of the city I'll be happy to give you a hands-on demonstration."  Her smile had faded, but there was nothing overly threatening in the words, it was a simple statement of fact.

Shores

"You have such a parlous parlour." He wrinkled his nose, shaking his head at all the live wires hanging everywhere, and the pools of water from the burst pipes. "When are you going to fix it?"

"When that old man moves out." She shook her fist at the closed door. "I'm not fixing it before that and giving him the satisfaction of destroying everything again."

Kyranna

Each sound of crumbled stone carried with it the sense of urgency laced through with the slow build of fear. The ache had spread from the chilled gnaw deep within her core to reach out in liquid tendrils until she feared the quiver might reach her hands. To climb, it was a parlous decision and yet she knew deep within if she continued to merely stand at the base, to stare into the heavens, she would never attain that which she sought. Hand over hand, each movement a rejection of the tremors which sought to capture her grip, to cast her down to the shattered ground below, and still she reached ever higher. 

A slip, a soft cry and then a memory, a murmur as her fingers tightened through the agony, clung to the rocky outcroppings and held her still, no she would not fall, she would not fail. "To reach for the stars, the heights, the heavens is to dare to dream, and dream I shall."
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

persephone325

rectitude
noun REK-tuh-tood

Definition
1 : the quality or state of being straight

2 : moral integrity : righteousness

3 : the quality or state of being correct in judgment or procedure
I don't know.

Kyranna

She hung her head in shame as her mother stood there, hands on her hips and a most cross expression etched into her features. "Elizabeth, I see you have not the moral rectitude to be left to your own devices outside. You march yourself right back over there and apologize to Ms McKenzie for building that kind of 'snowman' in her front yard."
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

RampantDesires

He wanted to argue with her, that was written clearly in the harsh line of his mouth and the tight cast of his shoulders.  Sending women into danger went against the inborn rectitude of character that years of war and bloodshed still somehow had not touched.  Women were meant to stay at home, to be protected.  As his wife had been?  That thought gave her pause, made her tilt her head and study him more closely.  Braden wanted to argue ... and yet he did not.  She could practically hear his teeth grinding even over the din of the market square behind them and he just gave her a single abrupt nod, one of those large calloused hands falling upon the Prince's shoulder to stave off any objection from that quarter.

Something inside her cracked at that simple gesture because Althea knew how very much this act cost him.  Knew that he would find no peace and get no rest knowing that she was out there putting herself in danger because he had asked it of her.  His silence wasn't for the Prince's benefit or this grand cause that he had thrown himself into.  He abandoned his objections for her, knowing that such a conversation would drag open the scabs on old wounds and she would end up going off on her own anyway, just angry and perhaps sloppy.  She could afford to be neither. 

Impulsively she reached out, her hand settling over his where it curved on the boy's shoulder and she offered the pair of them a genuinely pleased smile.  "It will be alright.  I have been inside the fortress of Averly dozens of times over the years, even with added security measures there is no way to make the place truly impenetrable.  A day and a half to travel, the night to scout, who knows I may well be able to open the gates and roll out the welcome mat for you that next morning.  However if you have not heard from me in four days ... well.  There is no contract, no fees to be returned to you.  You'll not find my ship again, they have their own orders. "

She meant the words to be reassuring, but Althea was singularly bad at providing comfort so she abruptly changed tack. "When I am successful I will need an appropriately grand title as a reward.  I trust that you'll think on that and have one ready when next we meet!"

Shores

She had thought her father was a man of rectitude, but the appearance of a second family he had been hiding, turning up at his funeral, broke the illusion.