News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZephyrInk

With one hand, he pulled the wrapped scarf down and gazed into the distance while the other stayed clutched over the backpack. At last, he had reached it. The caravansary was exactly as he had dreamed two nights ago which was strange on its own given he had never before seen nor visited the place. He squinted there as he took in those larger than life archways and the hollowed rooms on either sides of it. Drawing in a sigh, Adam rolled the damp cloth and stuffed it into his backpack then before he walked on.

More than anything, he had hoped to find some food and water there and if he were lucky maybe even a way out of this desert. In his mind he had already pondered over how much it would cost him but then he remembered how in some cultures, the caravansary never took anything from the visitors. All they had asked for was a little company – tales to share of what they saw of the mysterious desert.

He already had that, if they would be willing to listen to a dream that is – dreams are stories too, aren’t they?

Rhedyn

Today's word of the day is....

validate
verb VAL-uh-dayt

Definition
1 a : to make legally valid : ratify
b : to grant official sanction to by marking
c : to confirm the validity of (an election); also : to declare (a person) elected
2 a : to support or corroborate on a sound or authoritative basis
b : to recognize, establish, or illustrate the worthiness or legitimacy of

brainsout

There was no document, no original manuscript, but custom practice for hundreds of years. Now the times had changed and the demands of the ascending houses around tried to question about the privileges and properties of the imperial convent. The princely abbess felt the need to get a affirmation of those rights and tried to get them validated by the newly established supreme court of the Holy Roman Empire. ".. to have it written black on white", as she pointed out to her attorney. But it took over a decennium to come to a final sentence.
My o/o thread - My Request thread ( maybe always object to change/ under construction)

Azrialdarklight

With the wind whipping through the wild untamed undergrowth at the cliff's edge and the rain pelting down with all the cold bite of falling glass. The waves rolled and crashed, the rivers ran faster and rose higher to sweep saplings whose roots were not yet dug deep enough out into the rapid current. Smoke rose from the burning town as orcs swept through the village lost between two great green mountains, plundering for treasures, ransacking for food to feed there armies and blades to arm them. The humans ran and fled from the creatures into the dark of the stormy forest away from the shelter of there homes. The clattering of the orcs did not follow to consumed with hunting through the degree of the town to find any interest in hunting humans as the fled east between the mountains stepping dangerously close to the raging river, edging ever neared to the home of the forest sprites who were not known for there kindness.

The people trudged through the pouring rain as it froze them to the marrow, they turned north at the apex of the fair folks kingdom and headed towards the bald patch of the mountain's side where lush greenery turned to jagged rock. There they knew they would find their longtime ally in the dwarves, where they would find rest. As the hours past and they saw the smoke die out the rain began to soften, the wind died to a mournful whisper amongst the leaves of the trees. The humans wept as the fair folk sung songs of loss that echoed throughout the connected roots of the trees and spread upward on dandelion tuffs. Cotton clung to shivering bodies as aching feet continued to trudge, the line of trees that marked the exit of the wood and the beginning of dwarf land was within sight. Slowly cries turned to whispers of hope of knowing that the night and its horrors and the fearful scrambling amongst the muck and trees was nearly over.

The group stumbled into the rocky clearing collapsing and scraping knees against the rough rock. The dwarves came pouring from there mountain hall with a surge, each guiding the humans into the shelter and safety of solid rock walls lit beautifully by torches guilded in gold. The humans were bather, dried and clothed in fine silks brought from the elves across the sea and fead a hearty meal. Things were looking up, the humans could not help but smile. With the aid of there allies and the message sent to there king they knew they could begin to ameliorate the wrongs done by the orcs.

With a good night of rest in them the warriors of the village armed themselves and set out alongside the dwarves, the kings battalion no more than a days ride behind them as they marched to reclaim there home. the grinned remembering an old saying from when the war of the ages raged "not all that has burned is broken, not all that is taken lost, with ally backed and blade in hand all shall again be as it was meant to be. The Greenland for fey, prairies and clearings for men, mountain halls for dwarves and beaten back again orcs in their fowl den."

Theta Sigma

tenebrous
adjective TEN-uh-brus

Definition
1 : shut off from the light : dark, murky
2 : hard to understand : obscure
3 : causing gloom

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

RampantDesires

exegesis
noun ek-suh-JEE-sis

Definition
: exposition, explanation; especially : an explanation or critical interpretation of a text

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

RampantDesires

"Sorry to bother you Father, but Maggie and I were just having a friendly debate over this week's bible study passage.  She seems to think that Luke 10:4 means we shouldn't go shopping this weekend and that we have to donate all of our shoes.  I told her that was ridiculous.  We need you to give an excuse me Jesus..."

The woman trailed off looking at him expectantly but all Father Mark could do was stare and her blankly for a few moments trying desperately to replay the last bit of the conversation and find some hidden context or meaning.  A what?  He was used to odd and often rambling requests from his congregation, but this was new.

"I'm sorry. I don't think that friendly bible discussions require confession, but I appreciate you taking bible study so seriously it-"  He was cut off abruptly by her sigh of dismay.

"No.  An excuse me Jesus.  You know.  Where you explain what the passage means so I can tell her how wrong she is!"  A few more seconds of silence fell between them before the lightbulb went off in his head.

"You mean an exegesis?"  He spoke the question tentatively but let out a relieved sigh at her bright smile and rapid nod.  "Alright.  I'd be happy to discuss it with you in greater detail, but I'm pretty sure God's fine with you keeping your shoes..."

Luke 10:4 "Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way."

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Theta Sigma

agon
noun AH-gahn

Definition
1 : conflict; especially : the dramatic conflict between the chief characters in a literary work

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

brainsout

"With every mention of agon I always remember that competition between the Greek Heroes at Troy". Their old teacher took a break - just to increase the dramatic of the said - and then started again to talk about Achilles, Agamemnon, Hector and Patroclos. Painted in such braid colours, the murky atmosphere of the class room was outshined by the splendor of armor and weapons and the sounds of battle.
My o/o thread - My Request thread ( maybe always object to change/ under construction)

persephone325

nondescript
adjective nahn-dih-SKRIPT

Definition
1 : belonging or appearing to belong to no particular class or kind : not easily described

2 : lacking distinctive or interesting qualities : dull, drab
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Cracked Pepper

Frederick hunched over the old, sterile table, squinting as dust visibly settled onto his eyelashes. There was a tray of biscuits under the influence of his long clammy fingers. It was made of that indestructible 'plastic' stuff, and Charlie was disturbed to realize that the tray was being actively reused by the home owner, hence the clumsy sorting of treats that was happening now.

Frederick had already made a few decent rows, including one of those rough cookies, with the orange stuff inside, that the acceptably greasy salesman had told him everyone loved so much. After reaching into the assorted tin he had bought earlier that afternoon for another biscuit to file away, Frederick was mildly perturbed to find the article in his hand NONDESCRIPT.

It was rough and craggy like the others, but lacked a partner, or the sweet orange cream of marriage it would need in order bond to one. His hand quivered as it hovered over the tray. Most of the rows were coming along nicely, but this cookie didn't belong with the pale smooth ones, the chocolate studded majority, or... any of them.

Frederick stared at the biscuit in his hand, swallowing uneasily, until Charlie gently settled his cup down. "You," Charlie observed, neat mustache twitching, "are a very NONDESCRIPT gentleman."

Shores

The statue is so nondescript that one can walk by it and not notice it's presence. It made the perfect hiding place for his keys and other important bobs and ends, like his lucky coin and the shoelace he took from his victim.

brainsout

With a smile she told the well-known story to her visitors. "When I asked the hawker on the market about it, he told me that it is very rare... and how to cook it ..." She petted the colourfully figured bird sitting on a pile of book on her overloaded desk. "But I think it is an nondescript species". With a little smile on her face she added "It's a male one. For now I named it "Phoenix Rarus Brainisiensis..".

Majere Dreavan

It's a small, nondescript little gem. A dull grey, with very little shine to it. Not something to be sought after by kings and their men in some great war or conquest, at-least on looks alone. It's hard to believe that the hidden properties of such a drab stone would be the cause for agon between nations. But here I am, getting paid so much I could stop the thief business for good. All I have to was break into this palace, snag this little dumb gem, and bring it back to my handler. It seemed easy enough when I was being told about. I didn't even care to read the specifics when getting the order. I wish I had. Apparently the stone turns anyone who touches it bareskinned into a shadow. This was a tenebrous outcome. Now I can't touch anything but the stone, and without having read the paper, I have no idea how much good that will do me. I guess I can sit her for eternity, or wait for a particularly bright light to destroy me.

((Here's a playful sentence for Agon))
Agon? The ancient and avant-garde affray among antagonists who assault another for aims both amiable and abhorrent, alighting from the annals of authors antediluvian and adolescent.

persephone325

elucidate
verb ih-LOO-suh-dayt

Definition
1 : to make lucid especially by explanation or analysis

2 : to give a clarifying explanation
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

persephone325

cursory
adjective KER-suh-ree

Definition
: rapidly and often superficially performed or produced : hasty
I don't know.

Autumn52

Janet was usually in a hurry but she alway made time to greet the doorman of her apartment building. This Tuesday evening she gave the doorman a cursory smile before she bolted through the door carosuel and headed to the elevator. Charles had not had the opportunity to tell her she had a visitor. The visitor was a well dressed man in his mid thirties. He had choosen to wait in the lounge area of her very poshy apartment building. As she headed to the elevator she saw him. Janet stopped as if she had seen a ghost. Her mind whirled as she stared at the man who was now headed straight for her and she knew there was no where she could go and no where she could hid this time. Why? How? Where? All these questions tumbled inside her head as Charles said, "Hello my love, I think a private place to discuss our 'little' problem would be best, don't you?" Janet dropped her bags to the floor and she soon followed. Just as everything went black, as her eyes closed, she saw him smile.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Autumn52

James needed to validate his birth right. However, he knew the only way to gain his rightful inheritance was to prove his father a liar. He sat with his ill mother at the hospital she had been in for more that 5 weeks. They knew that the cancer would claim her life this time but they had hoped it would take a little longer. Lucy told him to start with his birth certificate. Even though it had been altered 6 months after his birth, the man who altered it was still alive and now he would be an old man. She hoped he would be willing to make things right with God before he had to meet him. She told James, "how would it have looked if a congressman had been named father to the son of his maid?" Lucy, had worked for the Kenny family for more than 40 years. She was only 20 when she came to this country and only just 22 when she gave birth to James. She had allowed her employer to spread the lie that she had gotten mixed up with the wrong sort and innocently been mislead by a man who had got her pregnant and left her high and dry. She couldn't dispute the lie, at the time, because she needed the job and was threatened several times by the campaign manager who work for her employer. The governer, at the time, had promised her that if she went along with him she would never have to worry about money again and that he would provide for their son. To a single mother it was a good offer and she accepted it gladly because she was in love. Lucy had kept everything he had ever given her, over the years. Love letters, flower cards, hotel recipts, everything she could keep without his knowing including one piece of evidence that she knew would come in handy one day. She looked to her son and gave him the entire box of 'souvineers' she had collected over the years. "I know this isn't much son, but the congressman's family will not be able to refute your claim with these.' As he took the box from his dying mother she shed a tear and with her last breath she said, "I'm sorry son." Her eyes closed and a smile crossed her face as the last person she saw was the man she had loved and who had loved her. Her beautiful son.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

RampantDesires

rabble
Noun RAB-ul

Definition
1 : a disorganized or confused collection of things

2 a : a disorganized or disorderly crowd of people : mob

b : the lowest class of people

Phoenixrisen

Genevieve drew back from the window with a gasp as she spied the rabble below her window. The press of bodies near the door  was enough to strike panic into the heart of the generally rather stoic young queen. She had come to the throne against the wishes of the commoner's council. They had no desire for the daughter to sit the throne, no matter that she was eldest and the only one of age. Her father really had placed her in a reprehensible position dying so suddenly on that damned hunting trip. She'd told him not to go. His health had not been the best.

"Come milady," There was a soft touch to her elbow as the captain of her guard moved to catch her attention. "We must get you into something more nondescript before they breach the walls and find you. A maid's uniform with a veil of morning perhaps?"

"If we elucidate them to the error of their way," She was cut off with a shake of the knight's head.

"That will not do my queen, we must get you away, that is the only answer."
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Theta Sigma

scarify
verb SKAIR-uh-fye

Definition
1 : to make scratches or small cuts in (something, such as the skin)
2 : to lacerate the feelings of
3 : to break up, loosen, or roughen the surface of (something, such as a field or road)
4 : to cut or soften the wall of (a hard seed) to hasten germination

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Phoenixrisen

She'd never understood those who would scarify themselves until she had fallen deeply into the depths of depression. The overwhelming need to do something, anything, to prove to herself that she was real was intense and sometimes hard to control. Those were the days she barely got out of bed, because that was how her condition worked. If she stayed in bed, if she avoided any kind of pain, she would be alright. The urges would be easily ignored if they existed at all. She was lucky that today was not one of those days.

(Please note this is entirely a work of fiction. Just a note because I know I've been on the down side, but this is not my reality.)
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Chajesdad

"As you wish." Wesley promised again, as he delivered the water pitcher to Buttercup. She held aloof as was her way, though he had gouged another groove in her wall of status, allowing life to erode it away. He would continue to scarify the barrier in such a way, till she recognized that his words were a pledge of love. He would love her and she would he, and they would have a love that stories would be made of. This he vowed. His coming voyage would boost his wealth and hopefully his status, and maybe then, he would be worthy and able to say a bit more than just 'As you wish'.
What were you thinking just now?

https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=31109 Ons and Offs

RampantDesires

woolgathering
noun WOOL-gath-uh-ring

Definition
: indulgence in idle daydreaming

RampantDesires

Fingers twirled and the knife spun lazily on the table before her, twisted onto its edge and then clattered flatly back down.  The blade was dull, unable to scarify the hardwood on the surface beneath and that made her frown thoughtfully down at it.  It wasn't that she wanted her table marred, but a tool should always be kept honed and suited for its purpose, granted this one was only used for cutting meat during meals but her servants were usually better than this. 

Across the table the princeling broke off from his well-rehearsed speech making an inarticulate growl of annoyance.  "She's not even listening Braden.  My nation is in shambles and she sits there woolgathering! I TOLD you this was a waste of time we ..."

Her low laugh cut him off and he bristled noticeably in his chair.  "Oh calm down little lordling.  My ears work well enough... "much to her dismay.  Gods but the boy liked to hear himself talk.  "I've heard a great deal about patriotism, a mighty struggle where good might triumph over evil, something about guards and a watch rotation, the thanks of a grateful nation, my name added to this great agon that scholars and bards will carry through the ages.  What I have NOT heard is any talk of real payment.  And he called you General sweet Braden?  Say it isn't so!  You've given up the battlefield for a command tent?"  Green eyes flicked toward the man who still stood guard by the door.  In truth he was the reason she'd agreed to this meeting in the first place.  She cared nothing for the petty squabbles of the Island kings and their messengers were always sent off with a firm no, or they failed to return entirely which was a much clearer message.

He was not a classicly handsome man, nose too wide with a noticeable curve where it had been once broken and improperly set.  Unlike the boy seated across from her he'd passed on the finery, his tunic a nondescript brown which matched the shaggy edges of his hair.  For a moment she let her gaze linger, drinking in details that her first deliberately cursory inspection had missed.  Faint lines bracketed his mouth and others fanned at the edge of his eyes.  There was a stiffness to those wide shoulders and in his gait as he crossed the floor to take up the seat next to the youth who was yet glaring at her.  "I am tired Althea.  It has been six years since Galthor died and the battle of succession began.  Six years of blood and sacrifice, and I just ... want it to be done.  If that means putting down a sword and picking up a quill and learning to play politics so be it."

"Your wife must be thrilled she was forever pushing you to be..." Hazel eyes snapped upward and met her gaze fully for the first time since this tenebrous meeting had started and the stark look in them cut off anything else she'd been about to say.

"My wife is dead."

Oh.   

Questions tangled on her tongue.  When? How? Where? but thankfully none of them made it past her lips.  The tense silence in the room was broken by the scrape of the chair leg upon the floor as the young noble stood.  "I told you this was a waste of time, coming here to ask aid from this... this .. rabble.  They're scarce more than butchers with no concept of honor.  I can call on my bannermen we'll assault the walls of Averly and force my uncle onto the field then.."

"I'll do it."

Her announcement made both men look back to her, one incredulous and still annoyed, the other wary and questioning at her unexpected capitulation.

"You want this man killed, quickly, quietly, and I'll do it.  But not because I need titles or my order needs the validation of a would be king, and especially not to have my name put into some prattling panegyric by the skalds.  I'll do it because YOU ask it of me Braden."

Her sisters would be furious.  You never got directly involved in the Princes' squabbling and you never took a contract without gold up front.  Two very simple rules, and she was about to break both of them...