~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shores

He blenched at the thought of plunging his hand into the lobster tank. Their snippety claws looked hungry for his finger meat.

Rhedyn

Today's word of the day is....

spavined
adjective SPAV-ind

Definition
1 : affected with swelling
2 : old and decrepit : over-the-hill

Shores

The spavined Victorian house would never hear the sound of children laughing again. The wooden flooring and walls had been invaded by termites and it had become known as the local haunted house. Only teenagers hung out in it now, risking the chance of falling to their deaths into the basement.

brainsout

Magister Noah Buchius was retired when the Latin School he spend all his life being a teacher was closed down. He remained in the spavined schoolhouse, boarded by the bailiff of the nearby abbey.
My o/o thread - My Request thread ( maybe always object to change/ under construction)

Theta Sigma

logomachy
noun loh-GAH-muh-kee

Definition
1 : a dispute over or about words
2 : a controversy marked by verbiage

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Shores

They held a logomachy over the definition of King and whether one needed noble blood to be crowned as one.

ZephyrInk

Her gaze flitted between the two one last time, all the while as her head shook at their logomachy before she couldn't take it any longer and stepped a few feet back towards the door. "The trial resumes in twenty minutes, I suggest you both come to a decision by then. I would advise that you take the settlement offer Mrs. Liam but the court allows you both to discuss so...I'm going to go get some falafel". She had stressed on the word 'discuss' rather than call what they had been bickering about a 'dispute'. That was a legal term and she had wanted to tread carefully there, especially seeing as they were already in a courtroom. The falafel was just her way of an escape, even if for a few minutes worth of peace. This case had been draining her from the start as it is.

brainsout

In his younger years he was a skeptic. But then he found a weird book in the rearmost dark corner of the bookseller's cave. For reasons he never could explain the title caught him: "Turba philosophorum". He studied the preface and found that it was a copy of a book dating back to the 10th century. It contained a compilation of much older text, the wisdom of philosophers and alchemists from ancient Greek and Egyptian, presented in form of a academic logomachy.  From this moment he was lost, it took him his whole life to analyze it, working on understanding of the most dark and nebulous verbalization. In  his late years, when he was tired and nearly blind, his students start to collect and release his translation in modern time language, and he was lucky to see the day when the first printed copies where laid down on his table, just a few days before he closed his eyes forever.
My o/o thread - My Request thread ( maybe always object to change/ under construction)

thiccfiend69

The two men sat there in silence. Neither had moved in days. Although they didn't know it, the two of them were both passengers on the downbound train that is late-stage Alzheimer's. Sitting beside each other in their father's leather chairs, the men were nameless. The conductor stole from them their names, their memories, their lives and left them to wither together as strangers locked in silence. When they die together, they will die together as they were born: twins. But now, beside the fireplace that was lit for the last time so many winters ago, they are the same once again. Like two discarded batteries they sit together in silence, shells of former selves that not even they can remember, let alone recognize.  There will be no obituaries, no funeral. No one will know. 

Months later someone stumbles upon the decrepit shack they called home, discovering the two brothers decaying in the leather chairs. The police come.  So does an ambulance. Neither would have saved the brothers from Alzheimer's clench, but that's standard protocol for this type of thing. Wasted. 

Carrying one of the spent vessels in a stretcher, one of the medics says to another something about that day's work being "depressing."  Pausing, the other looks at his colleague and shakes his head.  Closing the back of the ambulance on the two corpses, the medic's comments evolve into a logomachy over the use of "depressing." Both old men were now "free from their deterioration into nothingness," said the one seated in the passenger seat. "They are free from suffering now. It's bittersweet, but is it depressing? Is it sad? No. They are not in pain." 

It took the other driver the remainder of the drive to realize that death was the first thing either man had grasped in months.  Death was all they had. 

Rhedyn

carp
verb KAHRP

Definition
1 : to find fault or complain querulously

Shores

He kept carping to his mother about breakfast that she dumped the eggs all over his head.

Theta Sigma

embargo
noun im-BAHR-goh

Definition
1 : an order of a government prohibiting the departure of commercial ships from its ports
2 : a legal prohibition on commerce
3 : stoppage, impediment; especially : prohibition
4 : an order by a common carrier or public regulatory agency prohibiting or restricting freight transportation

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Kiric Rand

Times had been tough. Where once rockets could be seen from all locals with in the city, blasting off toward planets unknown, today the skys were barren as the desert surrounding the metropolis. The people were suffering, the city dying, and all the government could do was worry about its stubborn damned pride. Those bastards were sitting the comfortable life in their orbital station, away from the pain and suffering of those they deemed surfs. And yet there were those who refused to be broken, to allow others to control their fate.

Darius was one such individual. This was his home, these were his people. His silver eyes gazed to the sky, shining like orbs of steel as he took a breath of the desert air. The arid, dry atmosphere had hardened his skin, and the wind picked up the dusty cloak, flapping in the breeze and leaving behind contrails of dirt, making the dark skinned man appear almost like a wraith as he stood upon the roof of his home. Well, what until today was his home. Today was the day, the moment all their hard labour and extensive planning paid off in spades. His mouth was dry, but not due to the air.

"Darius, it is time."

He nodded, hearing the voice in his ear as he jumped from the roof, leaping from building to building like a trained athlete. Except for his head, the rest of his body was covered, and his dark, mid length hair fluttered behind him as he fell, a controled decent through the layers of the city. Sliding down an awning, he finally landed on the ground, rolling as he did to lessen the impact and return quickly to his feet. He began running, breath coming in short spurts as he maneuvered through the throngs or humanity. Little did he know he was being followed.

"You there, stop."

A voice rang out, but Darius did not freeze for a moment, continuing his path through the sea of bodies. The law bar been looking for him, and seeing a man running through a mass of people had seemed to raise suspicions. He knew they were after him, but he had no time, they were going with or without him. Finally arriving at the launch pad, he quickly climbed the scaffolding, acending toward the door of a fairly large rocket. He slid in, sealing the portal behind him as he was met by a stern face, one of a woman elder than he was.

"What kept you? We almost launched without our pilot."

Darius ignored her, the sound of her voice ferrying equal parts scolding and worry to his ears. He simply took his seat, starting up the massive machine. The engines started rumbling to life, shaking the whole craft. They had to hurry, this rocket had been hijacked, and the police would likely be here soon to stop their launch.

He didn't care one bit. This ship was launching, he would leave this place for now, only to save his people from this war. embargo be damned.
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

Beguile's Mistress

"Our neighbors believe placing an embargo on our exports with be looked on as a punishment," Derek Broadstreet murmured to his board of directors.  "We have other avenues through which to move our products and additional methods of delivery so that is not a problem."

"What I would like to know right now," he continued, looking around the table at each person sitting there, "is who in this room has been playing fast and loose with negotiations adversely effecting this company."

Confusion, fear and suspicion painted the faces looking back at him.

brainsout

The Victual Brothers, wild and free men under the command of Michael Goedecke and Klaus Stortebecker, would be seen as some kind of embargo-breakers nowdays. And in fact in the first years of their activities in the Baltic Sea, providing the besieged town of Stockholm with cereals and other food for the starving inhabitants, they have to be seen as combatants of war. Later on they were equipped with letters of marque and reprisal by several parties of the never ending wars. But by the way things are going at the end they were seen as ordinary pirates - or started to behave as such? The sad ending of the story... Michael Goedecke and over eighty of his men were beheaded at the blood field of the proud Hanseatic city of Hamburg. Whereby the sentence - beheading instead of the gallows - was an acknowledgement of their honesty.

persephone325

February 9th's word of the day was....

mnemonic
adjective nih-MAH-nik

Definition
1 : assisting or intended to assist memory; also : of or relating to a technique of improving the memory

2 : of or relating to memory
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

brainsout

All the time he was teaching her he wondered about her memory capacity for facts and numbers. One day he suddenly got aware of her mnemonic technique when she told him that the pentane molecule was placed rightmost on the edge of her bedroom's cabinet and the information about its melting point was written clearly and in large numbers directly above.

persephone325

February 10th's word of the day was....

instauration
noun in-staw-RAY-shun

Definition
1 : restoration after decay, lapse, or dilapidation

2 : an act of instituting or establishing something
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

persephone325

February 11th's word of the day was....

recuse
verb rih-KYOOZ

Definition
: to disqualify (oneself) as judge in a particular case; broadly : to remove (oneself) from participation to avoid a conflict of interest
I don't know.

Rhedyn

adust
adjective uh-DUST

Definition
1 : scorched, burned

brainsout

Even in the first days following the instauration of the royal court by order of the king a first eclat came up. Two of the three judges of the court recused themselves from the first case of proceedings. 

ZephyrInk

It roared and with it the ground trembled, loud enough that the entire town had gathered in the square. They knew what it was and while most had still stayed indoors, it was the curious ones who had dashed out for a spectacle. By the time Lyle had rushed out of his small shop as well, the fire had already started to dwindle. He heard whispers then, some pointing out how their crops would have been adusted by now, while others huffing in annoyance to whatever damage control they would have to do. Lyle didn’t care for any of that, they weren’t paying attention to what was important here – the creature. He had never seen it in his life. “Did you see it?” he asked one woman standing to his left but she scoffed at him before she turned away.

“Who cares, our land is destroyed. We must end this…today!” cried a man behind Lyle, his hands frantically waving in the air, a scowl seemingly plastered on his face as he barreled down to where he stood. They had it all wrong, everywhere the brunette looked he could see that none of them had wanted anything to do with the creature.   

Theta Sigma

nuts
adjective NUTS

Definition
1 : enthusiastic, keen
2 : insane, crazy

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Adrasteia

"Wow! That's the fifteenth pistachio shell I've seen today! It must be a new record!"

He scrambled out from under the train seat, grinning like a Cheshire cat as he scribbled down another tally mark with a stubby pencil.

The rest of the carriage looked on; the morning commuters united by a single, almost audible, thought.

"This guy is nuts!".

Rhedyn

frolic
verb FRAH-lik

Definition
1 : to amuse oneself : make merry
2 : to play and run about happily : romp