~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shores

The rosemary accentuated the freshness of the chicken and made for a mouth-watering moonlight dinner as the werewolf tore into the neck.

Rhedyn

Yesterday's word of the day was....

sacerdotal
adjective sass-er-DOH-tul

Definition
1 : of or relating to priests or a priesthood : priestly
2 : of, relating to, or suggesting religious belief emphasizing the powers of priests as essential mediators between God and humankind

Theta Sigma

Today's word of the day is....

hornswoggle
verb HORN-swah-gul

Definition
1 : bamboozle, hoax

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Shores

"It would be foolish to reject the sacerdotal influences in our culture. To think that all decisions all based on logic is to exclude the mysteries that surround us in the cosmos."

"Those mysteries you enjoy are mere clouds yet to be measured by the barometer of science. We must not let their tendrils take hold of our people and strangle us one by one."

Shores

It was the greatest hornswoggle in the history of the guild. All the peanuts in the land was now in our main hall. All that remained was what the guild leader was going to do with it. Would he crash the market? Would he destroy all peanuts? Or would he plant even more peanut crops?

Rhedyn

bindlestiff
noun BIN-dul-stiff

Definition
1 : hobo; especially : one who carries his clothes or bedding in a bundle

Shores

Being a bindlestiff from young meant he knew the trick to keeping warm in winter, the place to get fresh water, and also what the symbols those who had come before him had left on the walls of a home. All it took for him to survive in this new apocalyptic wasteland was to find a new place to sleep indoors at night, and there was no shortage of choices.

Rhedyn

mutatis mutandis
adverb myoo-TAH-tis-myoo-TAHN-dis

Definition
1 : with the necessary changes having been made
2 : with the respective differences having been considered

Shores

The only way compulsory conscription of females could be considered was mutatis mutandis, with separate sleeping quarters, and bathroom adaptations made. One could hardly expect a woman to pee at a urinal unless she had the proper device provided, nor could one expect women to go into combat with a ponytail.

Theta Sigma

officinal
adjective uh-FISS-uh-nul

Definition
1 : tending or used to cure disease or relieve pain : medicinal

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Shores

This plant could have been used for officinal purposes as an antiseptic, if it didn't turn people green on contact.

Rhedyn

cohort
noun KOH-hort

Definition
1 : companion, colleague
2 : a : band, group
b : a group of individuals having a statistical factor (such as age or class membership) in common in a demographic study
c : one of 10 divisions of an ancient Roman legion
d : a group of warriors or soldiers

Shores

"Unless you're top of your cohort, you'll never earn your father's love. Unless you're the best of the best, you'll never receive your mother's warmth." It was the unofficial school chant, and something we had been indoctrinated to believe since we were young. Yet, the book I had read when I was younger, of a time when parents loved their children the minute they were born, still rang true in my mind. Was it a possibility that maybe it had not been fiction? Had it perhaps been a part of our past? There were so many minute details in it that made me lie awake in bed at night, wondering.

Theta Sigma

placate
verb PLAY-kayt

Definition
1 : to soothe or mollify especially by concessions : appease

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Shores

She tried to placate her baby with a wubby, but like the appeasement policy for Germany, her baby vomited in her face instead.

Rhedyn

reprehensible
adjective rep-rih-HEN-suh-bul

Definition
1 : worthy of or deserving reprehension, blame, or censure : culpable

Shores

They had been watching us for millennia. The most reprehensible species of lizards in the galaxy, famed for their war-faring as they traveled to the cosmos, had been sentenced to life imprisonment and tasked with watching earth videos for all their entertainment needs. Four hours of cat videos, four hours of babies falling over or hugging people or laughing, four hours of music, and finally four hours of food programs each day. In the end, no one could blame the prison authorities when the lizards became the best tv show hosts in the universe.

Theta Sigma

stanch
verb STAUNCH

Definition
1 : to check or stop the flowing of; also : to stop the flow of blood from (a wound)
2a : to stop or check in its course
b : to make watertight : stop up

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Shores

The beavers stanched the flow of water with their dam and we were saved from the flood. Humanity picked itself up, forever worshiping the beavers as gods after that.

Theta Sigma

demiurge
noun DEM-ee-erj

Definition
1 : one that is an autonomous creative force or decisive power

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

brainsout

Under the stern eyes of his teacher the young demiurge again tried to create a satisfying version of some inhabitants for the planet he was doing for his semester Project, called Earth. But again he failed and was advised to put all the poor pieces of his workmanship to the dumpster. But as we know, "something survived"...
My o/o thread - My Request thread ( maybe always object to change/ under construction)

Shores

I was a mighty demiurge as I fashioned the pond for the tiny tadpoles. I placed plants for them to hide in, adequate water for them to swim in, and enough food to last for days. Alas, they rebelled, becoming frogs and eating my fish.

Rhedyn

intrepid
adjective in-TREP-id

Definition
1 : characterized by resolute fearlessness, fortitude, and endurance

brainsout

uuuu, I love this challange :) Thx for providing it!

In the year 2379 the USS Intrepid - NCC 74600 - is assigned to the omega combat group. The mission: detain the Romulan warbird Scimitar.
My o/o thread - My Request thread ( maybe always object to change/ under construction)

Shores

He was an intrepid explorer, boldly going where no anteater had gone before, diving head first into the large anthill for his supper.