verb vye-TOO-puh-rayt

Definition
1 : to criticize or censure severely or abusively
2 : to use harsh condemnatory language

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

corvusul86

"I loath you," I vituperated him.  "If you were on fire, I wouldn't waste my spit on you.  If you died, I would host a party in your honor, and your own mother would attend that instead of your funeral.  You are the worst waste of skin to have ever crawled out of the primordial muck, and it heaved a gurgle of relief to have your cancerous mass out of its filthy sludge.  Your very existence denigrates the entirety of the human species, and is, in fact, a blight upon our planet.  The last thing I hope for every night before I go to sleep, and the first thing I hope for every morning when I wake is that you died painfully and embarrassingly in your bed.  The very fact you exist is a counter argument to the existence of a just god.  You-"

"Look, write me up all you want, when I get hungry I'm going to eat something from the office fridge," he said with a shrug, taking a big bite out of my delicious sandwich before washing it down with Janet's iced tea.

Theta Sigma

Today's word of the day is....

bombard
verb bahm-BARD

Definition
1 : to attack especially with artillery or bombers
2 : to assail vigorously or persistently (as with questions)
3 : to subject to the impact of rapidly moving particles (as electrons)

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Beguile's Mistress

Midge stared at the man sitting across from her and wondered.  Did she have him fooled by the facade she pasted on when she came into his office or did he see through the mask and recognize the turmoil she was trying to hide?  She knew he would censure her for her effort to fool him so the placid expression he displayed made her think she was doing a good job of prevarication.

"This is our last session Lieutenant Sanderson.  I'm going to release you back to your unit but I'm giving you the name of a therapist should you feel the need to talk to someone in the future.  I'll also be available by phone or email if you need me."

It was over and done with Midge told herself as she walked out of the office and headed for her truck.  Her medical files, release forms, and the contact information for the therapist she wouldn't need were in the briefcase she flung into the back seat before climbing in behind the wheel and starting the engine.  It was already past lunchtime and she had three days of driving ahead of her before she reached Daedalus, Texas, and the ranch that had been in her family for four generations.  She wished she felt like she was heading home but then she didn't feel much of anything these days.  Nope.  No feeling whatsoever to deal with and she liked it like that.

corvusul86

"We're only going to get one shot at this," Captain Silverleaf said.  "All of the free captains are engaging the Navy just south of the Cape of Sirens to buy us the breathing room to make this raid, so we have to make it count."

"Aye, Cap'n," Jacky barked.  She was a hulking gnoll Silverleaf had met during a nasty incident in the Red Desert, but she'd become a fine boatswain.

"Make sure they know I'll be cracking open all the rum stores tonight if we get the job done," Silverleaf said, taking off her bandanna to pull her long hair back for a moment.  It was far too hot for her tastes, but the conditions would make the wooden docks all the more vulnerable to fire.  "We need to bombard as much of the port as we can.  We'll only get one pass, so have your gunners on point, Mr. Bloodtooth."

The trollish Master Gunner growled in response, and she decided to take that as an affirmative.  "Even with the fleet gone, there are a lot of patrol ships in the harbor, so we need to make this quick.  If we get bogged down we're done for, and I for one don't plan on swinging from the docks we're charged with wrecking tonight.  Now, get to work you dogs!"

SithLordOfSnark

"Are you kidding me? They're going to bombard us and there's not a damn thing we can do about it." Jackson said as he shook his head and began to pace back and forth. "What exactly do you propose, James?" He asked.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Shores

"Your mother should have opened a cheese factory for how much she stank! And you should have joined her instead of entering politics. You reek of corruption." He vituperate his opposing candidate. "Where did all the donated money go? No one knows except the flies in your bank vault."

Shores

The planes will let fly the bombs, which will unendingly bombard the town until all the insurgents are wiped out. What? The innocent people living there? Well, they aren't so innocent if they live with insurgents. They were giving ample warning to vacate the area. Yes, I'm sure we translated correctly and got the message out to everyone.

Theta Sigma

prehension
noun pree-HEN-shun

Definition
1 : the act of taking hold, seizing, or grasping
2 : mental understanding : comprehension
3 : apprehension by the senses

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

corvusul86

Docking was always nerve wracking.  The ships, which were traveling at notable fractions of the speed of light, had to perfectly align their trajectories and positions in the vast, unforgiving vacuum of space.  The slightest miscalculation and the docking gear would be ripped off, sometimes doing catastrophic damage to both ships given the incredible speeds involved.  This time the prehension of the docking system went perfectly, and before long the airlocks were able to bond.

Shores

Her prehension of the syllabus only came about through grueling hours of study. Anyone who would try to get to her level overnight was bound to fail. And yet he could do it. What did that say about her or him? He wasn't so sure and he wanted to find out more.

Dys Astyr

slake
verb SLAYK

Definition
1 : satisfy, quench
2 : to cause (a substance, such as lime) to heat and crumble by treatment with water : hydrate
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

corvusul86

Sandy smiled her best smile, making sure to show just enough teeth, before holding up the can of soda.  "Nothing satisfied like Berry Pop!  Made with eight kinds of real berries, brought to you by the makers of BaconAid, the Bacon flavored sport drink, you can trust us to slake your thirst!"

She took a deep drink, and then dropped the can, spewing the hideous concoction everywhere.  It was, without a doubt, the worst thing she'd ever tasted in her life, and in middle school she'd been dared into trying dog crap.

"Cut!" the director shouted.  "Get the stunt can."

"Stunt can?" Sandy gasped wiping her tongue off on her sleeve.

"Same can, filled with colored water," the director said.  "We usually have to use them in these commercials."

Dys Astyr

denegation
noun den-ih-GAY-shun

Definition
1 : denial

corvusul86

"You've been busy," Lisa said as she casually flipped through the mail.

"Oh, anything good?" Mark asked.  He was balanced back on two legs of his chair with his feet on the desk, wobbling slightly right on the tipping point that would sending him crashing to the floor.  Lisa was half tempted to toss the mail at him, the surprise no doubt sending him to the ground, but she managed to keep up her professional mien.

"A couple of restraining orders, several notices about impending lawsuits, and a few letters expressing denegation for whatever wrongdoing you've been accusing them of of late.  Busy week?"

"All in a days work," Mark said with a satisfied hum.

Dys Astyr

gregarious
adjective grih-GAIR-ee-us

Definition
1a : tending to associate with others of one's kind : social
1b : marked by or indicating a liking for companionship : sociable
1c : of or relating to a social group
2a : (of a plant) growing in a cluster or a colony
2b : living in contiguous nests but not forming a true colony — used especially of wasps and bees

corvusul86

"You've got to be careful out here," Milosh said.  He was a squat, powerfully built man, with an expanding waistline but broad, muscular shoulders and thick, solid legs like tree trunks.  He wore a small breastplate, and was so hirsute and thickly bearded that it was difficult to tell where his bear mantle ended. "We're gettin' close to rusalka territory."

"What's that?" Yelena asked as she carefully picked her steps.  Unlike her companion she was tall and willowy, with a heavy, shapeless wool dress that almost completely obscured her form.  A thick rabbitskin mantle lay over her shoulders, and she shivered slightly despite the many layers that she was wearing.

"River spirits, and they're a bit too gregarious," Milosh said with a dark chuckle.  "When folk get too close they can't help but ask 'em to visit their homes, and they never let 'em leave.  Just bubbles floatin' to the surface while they dance 'neath the flow."

"Lovely," Yelena grumbled.  "Is there anything out here that isn't trying to kill us?"

Milosh paused to run a hand through his coarse beard in thought, eyes lighting up as he found a large crumb left from their breakfast, which he promptly stuffed into his mouth.  "Well, I'm sure there's somethin'.  Leastwise, somethin' might want to et your enemies first, and that's pretty helpful, hey?"

"Let's just hurry up," Yelena said, speeding up her pace, eager to leave the forest behind.

Shores

His desire for the best chocolate in the world cannot be slaked by a mere cocoa product from the chocolate factory. Nay, we must journey to the end of the universe for that rarest cocoa bean that drops from the tears of the Chococrocodilest.

Shores

She was living in denegation all this time, thinking that she hadn't lost the gold bar, and that it hadn't sunk to the bottom of the sea, that it was still in the chest that she had left in her cabin room, and that it still could be reached and saved. It only took meeting him for her to let go of that idea.

Shores

She had a gregarious personality and liked being with others all the time, to the extent that it was hard to get to know her, since it was difficult to have any one on one time with her. It was a contradiction in herself and it made one wonder if perhaps she was afraid of getting too close to people.

Dys Astyr

tendentious
adjective ten-DEN-shus

Definition
1 : marked by a tendency in favor of a particular point of view : biased

corvusul86

Some people say that history is written by the victors, but they are wrong.  History is written by people with something to say, no matter how tendentious.

Dys Astyr

interdigitate
verb in-ter-DIJ-uh-tayt

Definition
1 : to become interlocked like the fingers of folded hands

corvusul86

The commandoes carefully crept forward, moving from cover to cover to avoid detection.  It felt like an eternity to Tamaya, but eventually they reached the edge of the killing field, the entire squad crouching behind rubble as they peered at the entranceway.

The alien ship was like vast, pulsating tumor on the crust of the earth.  It was a pale, putrid pink color, with throbbing green veins and sphincters that opened and closed to vent exhaust or take in air.  They were near the main troop entrance, which had an addition defense in the form of hardened cilia while would interdigitate to deny access to the primary entrance sphincter.

"Now we wait," Sergeant Rivas said, preparing his grenade launcher.

Tamaya checked her own weapon.  They would only get one shot at it, the protections able to open and close too quickly to allow access to the interior when the door opened.  Instead everyone was armed with the heaviest ranged explosives they could carry, with the plan being to damage the portal when it next opened so that they could rush inside with demolitions.  It was a risky plan, but they didn't have any other options.

Finally the cilia began to twitch, unfolding with remarkable speed to reveal the tightly closed entrance, which soon opened as well.  Before the aliens could take even a single step all eight commandoes opened fire, the explosions shaking the ground.

"Go, go, go!" Rivas shouted as soon as they ran out of ammo, and as one they charged the bleeding orifice.

Dys Astyr

lagniappe
noun LAN-yap

Definition
1 : a small gift given a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase; broadly : something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure