News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Morgue

"Did you hear, mmh?" Alice looked up from the cup of coffee she was pouring, turning to look to her co-worker Micah. Micah didn't bother looking up from his cup of coffee or the newspaper in his hand. "Micah!" Alice stomped her foot, picking up a packet of sugar and tossing it at the young man, her green eyes brilliant in the fluorescent lights.

The sugar packet hit Micah right between his gray eyes, and he started as the packet plunked right into his coffee cup. Eyebrows furrowing together, his gaze shifted up from his cup to the raven-haired woman who was now tapping her foot as she stared at him. He set down his coffee, his hand now free to tug through his messy blond hair as he sighed. "What is it, Alice, I'm in the middle of something..." He gave her a lazy sort of smile as the woman shifted over to sit beside him, eager to spill some sort of story to him.

"Well..." Alice slid the coffee she'd just gotten in front of Micah, who plucked it up like this routine was old hat for him. Alice then used a spoon to fish out the soggy sugar packet from his old cup and took a drink from it. "There's a new guy in the office, new admin, heard he's on the way to upper management. Megan says he's a real prodigy for business, quite precocious. Have you met him?" When Micah didn't answer her again, she pushed the newspaper down and used her hand to try and block out whatever he was reading. "Have you seen him?"

Micah groaned, and sighed again. "No, Alice. Why don't you go hunt him down like the bloodhound that you are. What's so special about some brat who's been polished for the upper echelon? I don't see what's so exciting about it."

"Of course you wouldn't... You have no ambition, but I do." Alice stuck her tongue out and took Micah's old cup to the sink, dumping the contents and tossing the soggy sugar into the garbage before she wandered out in search of their new administrator in training.

corvusul86

"Amazing," he said, shaking his head in bemusement.  "You've accomplished so much -- a law degree, a mastery of two forms of magic, and you speak four languages, and all at such a young age."

"I'm forty-seven," she said.

"So young," he said, shaking his head in amazement.  "Human are so precocious.  At your age most elves are still learning to speak."

Shores

She was a precocious young child, picking up on musical instruments easily. She formed her one-girl band, playing all five instruments at once, as she sang. She belly-danced to clap her castanets.

Theta Sigma

Today's word of the day is....

marginalia
noun mahr-juh-NAY-lee-uh

Definition
1 : marginal notes or embellishments (such as in a book)
2 : nonessential items

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Wanderlost

He lifted and settled himself in the corner he'd been thrown to. The coughing and the blood bore as little relevance as the marginalia about him. Books, splinters from the table, and a manner of other things he'd oft surrounded himself with lay shattered and broken as he.

He wasn't going to ask why. He knew it was in the business, but that did little to halt or even mitigate that cold stare as he turned one of his own teeth over with his tongue.

"This is what I taught you to do." He spat out the tooth. "Remember that." And it was little longer as his life visibly left him, and he finally settled into the hole in the drywall.

corvusul86

The Grand Book was as older than the written word, raising many questions about its origins.  Why, and how, could a book be made before clay tablets were even invented for recording words?  How could it have infinite pages, which could not be damaged or defaced, yet new information could be added?

The first few thousand pages consisted of crude images and art, and many generations pondered over the significance of them.  In some places scholars had recorded thoughts and opinions, some so cramped it was nearly impossible to even read the marginalia of a thousand minds.  Entire books could've been constructed from just the footnotes, and even after a lifetime of study a scholar could never understand it all.

Shores

He hid the secret to his treasure in the marginalia of his notes, so that only someone meticulous and who understood him well would find it. His oldest daughter had no interest in books, she much preferred to build airships and he had arranged for her to learn from the best. His second daughter had a more carefree nature, and had become a prominent artist after her apprenticeship. Only his youngest daughter had remained by his side, caring for his ailing body until his death, and so he sought to make up for her lost time with a lifetime's fortune.

Szandor

When disaster struck, no one had time to grab anything. There were no children grabbing stuffed teddies, no parents grabbing photo albums, and no needless marginalia being taken with them. They simply had to get up and leave. Ash had already begun to pile up outside the door when the family of four opened it and made a run for their car. The fire was close. They had been warned weeks ago, but chosen to stay.  Why had they chosen to stay? Surely nothing could be more important than their lives, their very home?
Posting Rate: SLOW

Theta Sigma

inoculate
verb ih-NAHK-yuh-layt

Definition
1: a : to introduce a microorganism into
b : to introduce (something, such as a microorganism) into a suitable situation for growth
c : to introduce immunologically active material (such as an antibody or antigen) into especially in order to treat or prevent a disease
2 : to introduce something into the mind of
3 : to protect as if by inoculation

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

corvusul86

"Honey?"

"Yes..." she called out, pausing at the familiar tone of her husband's voice

"Well, you know how if you get a virus it means you can't get it again?" he called.  "You know, like vaccines?"

She closed her eyes, feeling the headache starting already.  "That's not quite... what did you do?"

"Why do you assume I did something?" he asked as he stopped in the doorway.  When she didn't answer him for a long moment he chuckled sheepishly.  "Well, anyway, I thought that, well... you know how computers have antivirus stuff?"

"Yes," she said slowly, feeling the stiffness returning to her neck despite having just visited a nice massage therapist the day before.

"Well, I thought, well, if we could inoculate it we wouldn't get another one," he said.  "So I kinda... you didn't have anything important on the family computer did you?"

"'Did'?"

"Um, yeah... my plan... didn't work like I hoped."

Shores

In order to inoculate the population against the virus, all we had to do was pour this vial into the water system. And yet, who could tell how many people would be allergic to it? Was it okay to sacrifice the few for the many? There wasn't time to choose otherwise so I tipped the liquid in.

ZephyrInk

“We have inoculated the specimen and are now looking at its ability to adapt under various conditions. The proposition is to see which variable works best for it and how quickly it can grow into the next phase. Of course, we will be updating the forum periodically so it is recommended that you keep a lookout for any developments, Mister Liam will now take over the panel. We will open the floor for questions”

As soon as Myrah had finished the press conference, there seemed to be a flurry of voices around the tall man, all eager and determined to get their story first. A scientific achievement such as this would not only warrant headlines for tomorrow’s papers, it is bound to open a pandora’s box with it as well. Darcy knew that, feared that, which is why she was the only one on the team who had backed out at the last minute, warned everyone against cultivating the specimen and had even suggested ridding of it. She stood in the corner of the hall, her eyes pleading with Myrah, her friend and confidante but the woman had hardly given a second glance towards her.

With a scoff and a shake of her head, Darcy left the hall and stormed out of the building. “They don’t know what they’ve got themselves into” she sighed before she clicked her car door open and slipped in.

Szandor

Hi there. This is my first time posting here, so I hope everyone is doing good. If not; have some cupcakes! If you are; then you also deserve a cupcake!

Szandor

Wroooooong section. First mistake of my membership - won't happen again!

Theta Sigma

travesty
noun TRAV-uh-stee

Definition
1 : a burlesque translation or literary or artistic imitation usually grotesquely incongruous in style, treatment, or subject matter
2 : a debased, distorted, or grossly inferior imitation

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

corvusul86

It was the strangest car accident that I had ever seen.  The car had flipped three times as it overbalanced on a sharp turn, and loud honks and whistles blasted from the open windows with every roll, until finally it plowed through the front window of the pie shop. It took the passengers almost ten minutes to disembark, as almost two dozen of them tumbled out, dazed but with smiles still painting their faces, where they weren't doused in pie filling.  At least no one from the clown college was seriously hurt, but the media coverage was a real travesty.

Shores

The cake she had so painstakingly iced was a travesty, a confectionary recreation of dracula's castle, replete with fake cranberry sauce blood and even a jelly that was supposed to be an eyeball, but just looked like an orange blob.

Gypsywoman

Tree limbs,siding and broken glass litter the yard. The house it self was nothing but rumble. But true travestyof the torando was the lost life.
Just because the road is rocky doesn't that mean your spirit should be rocky too!

Dys Astyr

portentous
adjective por-TEN-tuss

Definition
1 : of, relating to, or constituting a portent
2 : eliciting amazement or wonder : prodigious
3a : being a grave or serious matter
3b : self-consciously solemn or important : pompous
3c : ponderously excessive
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

corvusul86

The stars aligned, the planets were in conjunction, and a comet was directly overhead.  In twenty cities around the country mothers gave birth to goats, and lambs gave birth to infants.  The sky was starless, and the moon was red as blood.  Truly, it was the most portentous moment to take a bathroom break he could imagine.

Shores

The gates of Hell opening was a portentous matter and a Council was immediately called to decide on how to close it. Alas, there was not enough funds to send an expedition to the other side, and so the powers that be built a ritual barrier around the place, hoping to keep out the miasma. And so it say for five hundred years.

Dys Astyr

amanuensis
noun uh-man-yuh-WEN-sis

Definition
1 : one employed to write from dictation or to copy manuscript
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

corvusul86

"What is your business here, child?" the scholar asked.  He was a portly man, wearing thick brocaded robes, and silver rimmed spectacles on his round face.  "I'm very busy you know."

"I- I was hoping for some work, sir," Mary asked, biting her lip as she smoothed down her best dress, the plain green, oft patched fabric looking like little more than crude sack next to his finery.

"This is a college, not a sweatshop," he scoffed.  "Find work elsewhere."

"Please, sir, I can write very well sir," Mary insisted.  "I know my letters and my numbers, and I am quite skilled.  My handwriting is quite good, sir, and I can even draw!"

He narrowed his eyes at her.  "Not many commoners can write their own name, and even fewer little girls."

"My father was an adventurer, a wizard," Mary explained.  "He went after some gatehouse overrun by goblins when I was seven and never came back, but he'd taught me my letters.  Please, I'm a hard worker."

"Hmm," he hummed.  "Alright, I'll give you just one chance.  I recently lost my amanuensis, and if you're as capable as you claim you can have the job.  Just know that I have no patience for childishness or incompetence, and I will be most wroth if you fail to perform as well as you claim."

"Thank you, sir, you won't regret this!"

Shores

The amanuensis wrote as quickly as she could, trying to take down all the clicks and whistles the alien made, hoping she managed to note all the accents properly. Her hand started cramping after a minute straight of writing, but there was no one else who could understand what the alien was saying.

Caelia

The king stood before the window, the fading sunlight dancing across his golden hair as he gazed out upon his kingdom. His hands folded behind him, cerulean eyes studying the world below as the townsfolk readied themselves for nightfall. Lamps were lit, children were ushered inside, and doors were closed hurriedly. Beyond the wall encircling the city, the Obsidian Forest loomed through the gathering mist. Shadows stretched out from the deadened trees, hungrily eating up ground as the sun dipped below the mountains and cast the world into darkness. As the last of the light faded, Corvis could begin to see spots of light shining through the trees. In pairs, they bobbed like fireflies, seemingly floating but Corvis knew what evil hide behind them.

They had plagued his kingdom for so long that he could conjure their image in his mind's eye without struggle. Shades, abominations left behind after the Dark King's reign; they sucked the very life from their surroundings. Tall, with gangly limbs, they crawled on all fours, limbs askew, eyes glinting a nefarious yellow. Their touch proved fatal, draining life and energy from everything they laid their sights on; the light was their only weakness, fading their bodies. Corvis was unsure if it killed them but it drove them away and that was all that mattered. The Forest, once a lush green blooming with life, now lay a husk of its former glory; trees barren of leaves and trucks an inky black. Life grew there no longer, animals fled in terror, and the sun no longer shone its rays through its branches. Only his city remained with its wall of light, standing bastion against the encroaching darkness and preventing its spread across the land.

As the beacons along the wall blazed with light, Corvis turned to a young man seated at a desk nearby. His youngest amanuensis yet, Qrow proved to be quite able in his craft and was of great value to Corvis. The young man was currently finishing up what they had discussed earlier that day, quill flying across the parchment, Qrow's nose bent so close it was nearly touching the still wet ink. Corvis let a brief smile touch his face; his scribe was dedicated to his work, that was for sure. As the last letter was imparted upon the page, Qrow unfolded himself from his bent position and stretched, brushing shaggy bangs aside as he sprinkled drying powder over the ink and handed it over to his liege.

Corvis nodded, eyes scanning the work. "Very good, you'll need to make copies of this and have them sent out tomorrow. Trade between the boarding kingdom would be very beneficial and the faster we establish a road, the lesser our dire circumstances will be." Qrow nodded and collected his things. "Will that be all, Your Majesty?" Corvis nodded and dismissed the amanuensis, his study falling quiet as the door clicked shut. Corvis sighed, rubbing a hand over his tired face. With the trade route through the Forest lost to them, it was imperative they established a connection with the kingdom boarding the sea.

Shoulders sagging Corvis retired to his rooms, forgoing a bath for simply falling into bed in only a sleep shirt. As he sank into his feather-filled mattress, his thoughts became sluggish and soon drifted away as sleep claimed him. But it felt like he had no more than just closed his eyes when a roar all but shook the castle. Corvis jolted out of bed, thoughts jumbled and legs tangling with the bedsheets. After he had managed to free himself, he stumbled over to the window and peered into the gloom. Backlight against the beacons, Corvis could just make out a hulking beast in the darkness. But it took him no time at all to recognize the beast and for horror to fill him. Be it the first time he'd seen one with his own eyes, there was no mistaking the hulking shape, jutting antlers or insidious red eyes that filled countless books detailing the Dark King's creatures. This beast was the worst of them all, akin to the Hellhounds of the Underworld, they descended upon the Dark King's enemies, bring death and darkness in their wake. Legends had foretold they had died out when the Dark King fell, but clearly one of the eldritch creatures managed to live on.

And it was currently standing at his front gates.

With an almighty roar that rattled the windows, an inky blackness rushed from the maw of the beast and swarmed over the lanterns.

Lights began winking out, the horrified screams of his men reaching even the topmost tower of the kept. Even as Corvis snatched up a blade that would do him about as good as a stick against the dark creatures, a part of him had accepted his fate with an air of terrified detachment.

The lights had gone out.

His kingdom was becoming lost to the darkness.

They were coming.