Dys Astyr

Today's word of the day is....

propagate
verb PRAH-puh-gayt

Definition
1 : to reproduce or cause to reproduce biologically : multiply
2 : to cause to spread out and affect a greater number or greater area : extend
3 : to pass along to offspring
4 : to foster growing knowledge of, familiarity with, or acceptance of (such as an idea or belief) : publicize
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

Shores

The birds propagated quickly as the balloon rose up into the air, the rays of the sun making the birds warmer and causing the females to lay eggs, while the males fertilised them. Soon, the basket of the balloon was filled to the brim with baby birds. The pilot followed the warm winds towards a nearby volcano, letting the birds and their baby chicks off.

corvusul86

It began as a simple story, whispered between school children.  The twenty-first century equivalent of Bloody Mary, but instead of simply scaring each other at parties or in the safety of their own homes, they had to go into wooded places to make it work.

Most didn't try, too afraid on a basic, subconscious level to actually do it. That didn't stop them from spreading the story to friends, and from there onto social media.  Slowly the story began to propagate across the planet, with those few souls who would try learning about it.  Within six months thousands of children across the planet had disappeared, and with every death That Which Should Not Be Spoken Of grew stronger.

Dys Astyr

extemporaneous
adjective ek-stem-puh-RAY-nee-us

Definition
1 : composed, performed, or uttered on the spur of the moment : impromptu
2 : provided, made, or put to use as an expedient : makeshift

Shores

No one believed that the dish he made was extemporaneous, garnered from the leftovers he could find in the kitchen. They demanded the recipe, but try as he might, he found it hard to recreate, since he didn't write down the recipe when he made it. He had made last minute spice additions to the sauce which was now lost to time and space.

corvusul86

Serrah sat at the back of the group, ignoring the whispers from the other angels.  She was new, and sometimes it seemed like she could never catch up to the others.  Whether it was making friends, or creating new life, she was always three steps behind.

"Okay, everyone, settle down," Micheal called.  "We're ready to begin.  Today, we're going to be performing extemporaneous creation.  Rather than working on your recent designs, each of you will be expected to create a new and unique creature to inhabit some biome on earth before the end of this period.  Please, work by yourselves, and be as creative as possible.  You have one hour, so... begin!"

Serrah bit her lip, wrapping her soft white wings protectively around herself as she glanced around the room.  All of the other angels had immediately dived into their projects, but her mind was a complete blank.  How could she possibly be expected to create something unique in only an hour!  When she made the dove she'd had weeks, and she'd based it heavily on existing state of the art bird technology!

"Hey, Serrah," one of the other angels whispered.  "You going to turn in a ball of clay?  I guess that's about all we'd expect from you."

"N-no," Serrah answered, quickly grabbing the clay, desperately starting.  She paid more attention to the snickers than to what she was making, and before she knew it she'd crafted a perfect duckbill.  She frowned down at the part, annoyed that she'd made something so mundane when she was supposed to be creating something unique.

"Another bird, Serrah?" Micheal asked.  "I had hoped that you'd stretch yourself a bit more for this.  You're supposed to be creative here, not just fill in an ecosystem gap."

"N-no, no, it's not a bird!" Serrah objected.  "It's, um, it's a mammal!"

"With a duckbill?" he asked.  "Well, it certainly is creative.  I look forward to seeing what you create."

Serrah grabbed another handful of clay and desperately began forming a mammalian body.  She tried to make it look cute, going with a semi-aquatic shape to match the duckbill she'd made for it.  She was almost done with the basic outline when someone thrust a large creature, resembling a cross between a fox, a wolf, and tiger at her creation.  "I hope that stupid thing ends up in mine's ecosystem," he snickered.  "It looks like good eating."

Serrah bit her lip, carefully fixing the damaged she'd accidentally inflicted when she'd jumped in surprise.  In a fit of annoyance she decided that her cute little creature needed some way to defend itself, and before she could second guess the thought she added poisonous spurs to its back limbs.

"Alight everyone, that is time," Micheal called.  "I look forward to seeing what you can create on the spot.  Serrah, why don't you start us off?"

Serrah waved her hands gently over the creature, singing a quickly composed song of life, transforming the clay into a new animal.  The furry creature snapped its duck bill, looking around blearily for a moment.  "This is my creation.  I call it the platypus!"

"Is that... is that a poisonous spur?" Michael asked.

"Yes," Serrah said, raising her chin proudly.

"Well, you certainly were... creative," Micheal said.  "Full credit."

Wanderlost

A flash of blue grandeur brought Radeus to the place they had chosen, where about three inches of water sat, pristine and untouched over a seemingly endless plane of smooth stone. Oswald was standing with his hands folded behind his back, tracking his prey with those deep set eyes. He had been waiting, of course, but whether Radeus was late wasn't really relevant to either of them. This would end quickly enough. They were equally sure of that.

Radeus was partial to planning, and he kept mobile, opting for skirmishing tactics. That was advantageous, as Oswald found it difficult to hit him even though he was the better mage. His crimson lances and waves of scarlet never quite connected the way Radeus's own azure dance seemed to.

He was winning. He was confident of this as they both came to a pause. The bloodmage's reactions betrayed him as entirely extemporaneous, and he had studied the techniques the man favored. He had prepared all the right techniques to avoid those attacks and circumvent his defenses. Now they were both panting and watching one another warily in this strange little standstill. Radeus had hardly a nick over his eyebrow and an admittable lash on his arm. Oswald had been torn apart through his opponent's many successful snipes. He was standing there, panting and glaring and bleeding. The bone armor he'd been wearing was nothing to speak of as an implement of defense by then, so he took the reprieve as a chance to doff the otherwise cumbersome equipment.

Unfortunately for Radeus, he missed a key point of what it meant to be a bloodmage, and as they painted their reds and blues, their clashes began to look more like wine than indigo. And like, as Oswald's red began to overtake Radeus's blue, no amount of mobility could have saved him from the scale of his opponent's attacks, and his defenses were rather simply overpowered. This ultimately led him to an end in desperation and fear, giving him no time to regret antagonizing a superior arcanist.

Dys Astyr

disport
verb dih-SPORT

Definition
1 : divert, amuse
2 : display
3 : to amuse oneself in light or lively fashion : frolic

corvusul86

Before the revelation of the supernatural Mardi Gras had already been a wild affair.  When the vampires had first become public they had joined in the festivities, but that had caused few changes.  Their acceptance lead to more mystical creatures opening up to the world, and with them they brought their own party traditions.

Brittany smiled as she watched the festivities.  In her youth it had been nothing but a drunken street party, with people throwing beads at women to get them to reveal their breasts.  Now fauns capered and danced, centaurs drank, succubi danced erotically with nymphs to the delight of the crowd, and a hundred other species, many she couldn't even name disported in their own unique ways.

Mardi Gras had become the truest symbol of the melting pot that is America, and no matter how old she got, she would always come back to experience it.

Autumn52

Candice sat and waited for hours. The deer blind was about 20 feet off the ground and she was certain that when the albino came close enough, she would get the prize winning shot. The albino was about a year and a half old and it was suspected that she was pregnant. Candice knew that Jerry was out there somewhere, trying to steal her shot. She regretting taking him into her confidence and sharing what she knew about the albino doe.

Candice froze as she saw the beautiful doe disport around the small field next to the tree line. That was something that always amazed her, she was always so happy. Always frolicking around this field as if nothing in the world mattered except playing with the other animals. No matter what happened at least the albino was protected and would live a long life in this forest. Hunting was forbidden in the national park that the albino lived in. Candice had loving nickname the albino Snow White. She often giggled to herself when she wondered where her dwarves were? She wanted to name her book, Snow White and the dwarves of the forest, but there was all kinds of branding issues and she knew she couldn't win that battle so she was still in search of a name for her book. The book would feature Snow White the albino doe. She stopped and wrote that down, Snow White the albino doe, that was the perfect name for her book.

Candice began concentration of getting some great shots for the book. It wasn't hard to get good shots of the albino, she was very photogenic. Suddenly there was a loud shot and Candice dropped her camera. She know what that sound was and she was in shock. That was the sound of a rifle, not a camera. She picked up her camera and looked through the zoom lens. What she saw was Snow White standing over a small squirrel. They had all just been playing and now the beautiful white deer looked as if she was crying. Before a few more seconds had passed a large burly man came out from the tree line and instead of running Snow White stood her ground. Most deer would have run when the sound rang out, but Snow had never been exposed to guns or humans with bad intentions. She stood over her friend as the man tried to shoo her away. He wanted his prize and Snow was not about to let him have her friend. She took two steps which put the squirrel directly beneath her. It was as if she were saying, 'over my dead body body.' That thought sent a chill down her spine.

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Shores

The fireflies disported into the air as the baby bear chased after them, stumbling over the grass a few times until it disappeared over the edge of the ravine. The mama bear roared.

Theta Sigma

conversant
adjective kun-VER-sunt

Definition
1 : having knowledge or experience

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

corvusul86

"Well, I'm no expert, but I am conversant on most forms of invertebrate reproduction," Charles said, sipping his whiskey.

"Interested in practical experience?" Ambassador Tha'q'da'h'q asked, wiggling her antennae.

"How could I resist?"

Shores

He was conversant on ancient scrolls and anything to be found in nature, but when it came to human politics, he failed miserably, and that was why the school he had toiled to set up fell into the hands of another and was subsequently closed. But towards the end of his age, he seemed to connect with children easily, and started up a backyard school to educate them on the wild herbs around their town. That was how I came to know my teacher.

Theta Sigma

bibelot
noun BEE-buh-loh

Definition
1 : a small household ornament or decorative object : trinket

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

MajesticFrost

"Happy Birthday!!" Everyone in sector V, except number 3, shouted in excitement.

"Awe. Thank you guys." Number 3 spoke with a big grin plastered across her lips.

"Open my gift first, number 3!" The eager number 4 spoke with his hands forming into a tight fist and leaning over the small table that held all the birthday presents and double fudge rainbow monkey cake.

"Ok ok. Sheesh." Number 3 ripped open a box that was poorly wrapped and pulled out a, bibelot. "What is this thing?!"

"A.. U-um." Number 4 scratched his head, trying to find the right words to say.

"Spit it out man. I want to know what this awful thing is." Number 1 spoke up and takes a closer look at the object.

"Oh! A bibelot! At least that's what my mother called it." Number 4 said, now with his hands resting on the table and looking over at everyone else.

"Uh.. This thing is a what? A bebetot?" Number 3 held out the bibelot in front of her and within seconds, dropped it. "Oppsies." She covered her mouth and looked up at the blond male. "I'm so sorry, Wally."

"That's okay. I got plenty more back at hom- I-i mean don't worry about! I'll get you a rainbow monkey later!"

The bibelot remained shattered on the floor through out the birthday celebration.
  [tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]"I have all the characteristics of a human being:
blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear,
identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust."[/td][td]
I tripped and feel into some feelings.
Don't worry
I brushed that sh-t off.
O/O
[/td][td]_[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]  

corvusul86

"Come one, come all," the barker shouted.  "We've got everything you're home needs to spruce it up!  We've got knick knacks, we've got gewgaws, we've got trifles of every description.  You, young lady, you look like you need some more bric-a-brac about your homestead!  What about you, sir?  Your domicile in need of a few flummeries to keep up with the joneses?  Perhaps a nice bibelot to brighten the mantle.  Come on down to the Ornament Emporium, where every kind of curiosity, furbelow, or novelty showpiece can be found!"

Autumn52

The family was very poor, but they loved each other fiercely. John went to work before day break each day. Julie stayed home until she got the children off to school and then she hurried, baby in arms, to her job. The company Julie worked for had a daycare center in the building. John and Julie were thankful the company paid for this expense for its full time employees. The baby was only 6 weeks old and she had only been bringing him to the daycare for a week. Before she left him in his assigned crib she held up his favorite bibelot. The first day he was born he was introduced to this little charm. Little did he know that the words his mother spoke were a spell of protection. She would hold him close and whisper the spell before she laid him, and his little elf plushie, down. You see, Jacob's was born into a very 'special' family. His line went back as far as could be researched. It was believed that one day he would rule the underground world that he was now part of. That was the reason for the protection spell. Not everyone was happy for John and Julie. Some of the warlocks had made threats to 'dispose' of the little one. Jacob had already shown a lot of potential for someone his age.

Julie was about to the 21 floor when the protection spell went off. She rushed down each flight of stairs a fast as she could. Once she was at the daycare center she was prepared for battle. Julie threw the doors open and her mouth dropped when she saw the scene. How? How was this possible? The entire room was suspended in space and time. Julie, after 200 years, didn't know how to perform such a feat and yet here it was and she looked around to see who else could have performed such a complicated spell. Suddenly the little elf bibelot began to grow and soon was standing beside Jacob's crib. He bowed in a courtly fashion, the way gentlemen did back a century or so ago. Then with the charm of an angel he introduced himself, "Good day to you lassie. My name is Caleb and I am your sons defender." He said these words with conviction and in a matter a fact manner. Julie was still confused as she walked to her sons crib and picked him up in a defensive way. To try to easy her mind about who and what he was he said, "the council, they assigned me to Jacob. We will need him in the future, far more than you know. Just understand that I will not let anything happen to him, ever. I will give my last breath to protect your son. It is my honor to do so." It was plain to see that this elf was proud of his assignment. Julie constantly scanned him but could not detect any falsehood coming from him. She let her shoulders drop slightly and asked, "what are we going to do now?" The elf had a devious look in his eyes, his look scared her. He finally said, "It is not safe to leave him exposed like this day after day. I can protect him better down below in the council daycare." Julie was adamant that her son would have a semi normal life and she knew he stood no chance of that if he went down below at this age. She sternly said, "NO, never. He is to young and I don't want him that far from me. Think of something else." The elf was not happy that she slammed him with a complete refusal but he was charming and he knew he could get her to come around eventually. He had time, all the time in the world. She however, was not immortal.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Shores

The whole glass cabinet was filled with bibelots. You would think an old granny lived here, except the owner of all the dainty little ornaments was a young lady in her twenties, though well on her way to grannyhood. After a light lunch, she liked to take each little glass bauble out and give them a clean before putting them back in. Next it was the porcelain babies with their cherub faces. They tiny animals followed, and some she would even talk to, though she would never admit that to anyone. Finally, it was her favourite piece. A small flute carved from wood that her brother gave her when they were young. She would polish it until it shined before replacing it next to a picture she had of him in a metal picture frame. One day, it came over her to play the flute.

Theta Sigma

scour
verb SKOW-er

Definition
1 : to move about quickly especially in search
2 : to go through or range over in or as if in a search

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

corvusul86

They say things are always in the last place you look.  Of course, the people who say that are idiots; what, you gonna keep looking once you found the whatever?  Didn't think so.

Still, it was stupid bad luck that we found what we were looking for in the eighth temple.  Why, you ask?  Well, there are only freaking eight temples!  And of course, they're all hidden in the middle of freaking nowhere, with no magical way to locate them, and nothin' showing up on satellite either.

It'd taken the better part of a month to scour the Sahara until we found the last one.  It was somehow a more unpleasant search than the one hidden under the antarctic ice, although the guardian mummies and giant scorpions weren't as bad as the oozing... whatevers the Elder Things had used in the antarctic temple.  Still, when we retrieved the last remaining Golden Apple for Monsanto I was ready to retire on the huge paycheck they offered.

Although not before we each snagged a bite, of course.

MajesticFrost

"We will scour this playground whether you like it or not! We have to find Ramen!" Kimchi, yelled at the innocent kids that were playing in the sandbox before frantically digging his fingers into the sand and pulling handful of it away. The kids sat there, terrified by the older male. "Ramen! Where are you?!" Kimchi kept digging until he felt a finger tapping on his back.

"Dad?" A small boy spoke with an ice cream in one hand.

"Ramen?!" Kimchi turned around and pulled his son into a tight hold. "Oh Ramen.. You're mother Sushi and I were looking everywhere for you." He dug his face into the boys shoulders.
  [tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]"I have all the characteristics of a human being:
blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear,
identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust."[/td][td]
I tripped and feel into some feelings.
Don't worry
I brushed that sh-t off.
O/O
[/td][td]_[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]  

Shores

"We're currently scouring the Pacific for any signs of the missing ship." The Commander said with sweat on his brow. "And we won't stop until we find out what happened to it. There are lives at stake here."

A blow-dart shot out of the air at him, embedding itself in his neck. He fell to the ground, foaming out of his mouth.

ZephyrInk

His free hand had waved in the air along with his words as if he was imagining them scouring the invisible town there. Maven had the perfect place in his mind just like he had for the previous day but this time he wanted them to pick one out together, something that would be memorable for them both on this trip. He related his ideas out to her as they lay on the grass, pointing up at the night sky while he spoke, "there's the lake we could go to that I've heard a lot about it or we could go to that museum, I think we could even get a private tour since father works there. What do you think?" He gave her an eye waggle as he said that, somehow feeling proud that he knew more about the town than her.

"I think its not a bad idea, we have our day planned out. We could go to the museum first and then go have a picnic by the lake. That sounds better, right?"

"I agree". 

Theta Sigma

precocious
adjective prih-KOH-shus

Definition
1 : exceptionally early in development or occurrence
2 : exhibiting mature qualities at an unusually early age

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns