News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shores

“Are you sure this refurbished projector will work?” I frowned at what he had brought in.

“It will! Just watch!” He had a smug smile on as he plugged it in and booted it up.

“What is that?” I gasped as an image of a bipedal form appeared. It didn’t have any other human features though, just a mass of round growth-like protrusions. It was lighting up our kitchen wall.

“I’ve turned it off but it won’t shut down.” He frowned.

“It’s moving!”

Caedy

Today's word of the day is....

visceral
adjective VISS-uh-rul

Definition
1. felt in or as if in the internal organs of the body: deep
2. not intellectual : instinctive, unreasoning
3. dealing with crude or elemental emotions: earthy
4. of relating to, or located on or among the internal organs of the body: splanchnic
No New Games At This Time
A/A updated Important: 6/2/17
Caedy's Pretty Things (SFW&NSFW)
Blog: My Bullet Journal Journey
Word of the Day
~...still like air, I'll Rise...~ Maya Angelou

ZephyrInk

She watched the boy being taken away amid screams. Those frightening screams that echoed in the hallways.

The scratches on her skin left deep marks when he had tried to hold onto her, hoping that she would change her mind at the last minute, but she hadn’t. It was cruel to have done that, to have left the boy in the care of strangers after all these years. She had raised him ever since he was a baby and watched him grow but the times had been tough on them lately. Her husband having divorced her and she having lost her job, yes, things were – messy, to say the least.

She rubbed the indentations as she walked on, being careful not to peel off the bandage. Tears began streaming down her cheeks as she neared the corner to the ice cream parlor. His favorite was pistachio and cream, she remembered. What a visceral torture this was! She turned her back, unable to look at the counter and the throngs of children who bumped and ran past her. She knew what she had to do.

Shores

Her nails clattered on the floorboards until she was within sight of him. She loomed over his terrified face, relishing in the visceral thrill of finally capturing her prey. She would savour each moment slowly, gently lowering her nails as they pierced through his flesh. The pain would be exquisite and slow, each moment dragged out until she was fully satisfied by his screams.

Caedy

acronym
noun AK-ruh-nim

Definition
a word (such as NATO, radar, or laser) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term; also : an abbreviation (such as FBI) formed from initial letters : initialism

Word of the Day

VioletPanda

There was a hissing and whirring sound near his ear and they were so far apart Simon could scarcely make out his partner's voice on the other communicator.
  "Sir! Sir, they found it! It's moving into a residential area and closing fast! What do we do? What are you orders?"

Simon's finger hovered over the button, feeling a cold sweat beginning to break on the back of his neck at the thought of the property damage and loss of life the escaped thing was capable of. His finger slammed down on the red button, depressing it til he heard the internal components spark. His eyes narrowed.
   "Send in the A.D.T. Double time. We can't afford the loss of the data or the life of those civilians we've put at risk."
He sighed as he cut off the connection. The acronym for the Automaton Detainment Team, they would make sure no one knew about the miraculous mistake that had happened down in the lab.

It still gave him chills to think about it. There had been...intelligence in that thing's glowing mechanical eyes. It's voice box, the one that shouldn't have been activated...The thing had spoken to him. Just him. Simon had barely been able to understand it, but there had been words.
How could you do this?
  Simon shuddered again. What had they stumbled upon? Had they created life? Had they trapped it, somehow, in that mechanical body?
  He didn't want to think about those implications.
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Shores

“What sort of a name is that?” I asked, glaring down at the prostrated man.

“It is the best we could come up with, your highness.”

“Mission I Love Force? Did you not think I would not notice the acronym, or the weird connotations behind the title?” My voice was a screech as I threw a scroll at him.

He yelled and fell back, blood from his head dripping downwards. “It’s quite fitting.”

“Out! Out of the throne room and death be to you!”

“I think not, Your Highness.” He stood up and it was then I recognised him.

Shores

“Hurry along now.” He patted his son’s head and the little boy ran out of the room, eager to return to the kennels outside. “Make sure he doesn’t dirty his trousers. You know how the lady hates it when he does. Also, trim the flytraps. Wouldn’t want another guard marching into it.”

“Yes, Sir.” The majordomo bowed and left the room.

Beautiful Mystery

demean
verb dih-MEEN

Definition
1 : to conduct or behave (oneself) usually in a proper manner
Check A/A
The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns.
He comes dressed as everything you have wished for.
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Shores

“You should follow the way in which The Lotus demeans herself.” The older courtesan raised her fan, hiding half of her face and then sliding back behind the screen. “It is no secret she is the most in demand here.”

I nodded and raised my fan as well, attempting to mimic what she had done. Alas, as I tip-toed behind the screen, I tripped on my own skirt and nearly pulled the whole antique screen down with me.

Beautiful Mystery

tetchy
adjective TETCH-ee

Definition
1 : irritably or peevishly sensitive : touchy
Check A/A
The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns.
He comes dressed as everything you have wished for.
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Shores

“Is that why you’ve been so tetchy with me?” He rubbed his hand along her arm.

“Yes! You tied me up and forgot about me. Who would do that?” She frowned. “I wouldn’t have minded so much if you came to retrieve me later, but no, you had to send your brother.”

“Something came up. I had to go.”

“What could be more important than untying your wife from a park bench?”

“Untying my girlfriend from the park bench?” He had a rakish grin.

“Oh, you!” She threw her pillow at him.

RampantDesires

panacea
noun pan-uh-SEE-uh

Definition
1 : a remedy for all ills or difficulties : cure-all

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Shores

He had hoped he would find the panacea for her blindness, and so with great determination, he had roped her to his back and started scaling the Great Mountain. It lived up to its name. Every step he took was agony, and when he reached the fabled cave, it was all he could do to haul himself over the edge.

He was shocked to see a long line of people extending out the cave entrance and down a steep but paved road on the other side.

JanesAddiction

All the long years of schooling, the late nights, the lack of social interaction, everything James North had be struggling his whole life for was so close to being within his grasp. His pale wrinkled hand pushed in the code on the minuscule keypad next to the bulky titanium door, and soon it opened before him. The hiss of air could barely be heard over the rubber wheels sliding along their track and even quieter still was the soft thump of his size 9 boots carrying him into the bleak corridor.

He didn't bother to look at the lab-techs scurrying about on the other side of the spotless windows that covered most of either wall. James focused all of his attention on the far wall, more specifically on the desk pushed up against it that housed his computer and the network drive that gathered all the data his employees were testing.The soft leather chair creaked under the weight of the old scientist, just as his knees cracked while he lowered himself into it. Nothing would be the same after today, James could feel it in his gut that today would be the day of his triumph. His fingers tapped at the keys of his archaic device and the screen filled with numbers same as it had everyday for the past thirty years.

"That's not a good sign." James rasped quietly, "The labs been contaminated, all the tests are inconclusive." His breath became heavy and his vision grew blurry despite his thick glasses, he was wrong. His research into a true panacea wasn't complete, and once again the determined man would have to start a fresh round of tests. One day he'd be finished and could be content with his life having giving the world a gift, a labor of love that he poured his whole heart and soul into. For now though he'd just have to keep trying and hope his heart would keep beating for another day.
Random PM's and questions welcome :D
Sorry 10/20/18      Updated O/o's 11/05/18

Sofia Grace

lanuginous
adjective luh-NOO-juh-nus

Definition
1 : covered with down or fine soft hair
i am a fire
gasoline, come pour yourself all over me
we'll let this place go down in flames
only one more time

[ O/O ] [ A/A ]

Shores

She let her cheek brush against the baby’s lanuginous hair. “You are going to rule the world in my stead one day. And then you will vanquish the ills that trouble our kingdom.”

She could hear footsteps climbing the stairs. She swaddled the baby in the royal blankets and made sure the basket was secure against the phoenix’s feet. With a low whistle, the bird took off. She gripped the stone parapet until she bled out.

Caedy

erstwhile
adverb ERST-wile

Definition
1 : in the past : formerly
Word of the Day

Shores

“Your erstwhile King is now a beggar in the streets.”

“Surely not!”

“He was seen performing a pantomime outside of our local tavern.”

Disbelieving, he ran out to the dingy streets immediately. Lo and behold, what his friend had said was true. The once King had on a sort of makeup to mask his true face as he put on a show about a Knight Errant on an impossible quest. As the King fell to the ground in a cloud of dust, stabbed by an imaginary windmill, he ran over.

“My liege, what are you doing?”

“And who might you be, young ruffian! Unhand me at once. I will suffer no indignities under your rule. To perish is a braver way to end a life than to wallow in despair.”

He pulled the camouflaged King to his feet, determined to reinstate his rule once more.

Dys Astyr

The rickety truck swayed and groaned as it sped across the wastes. The Shepherdess tugged her hood further down around her face, doing her best to seem just another pilgrim looking to pass into the Black City; eager to loose herself in all the vice it offered. Across from her the hulking man that was her companion was being considerably less innocuous. He stared at her, hard enough it made the other passengers steal glances as well. She bit back a sigh of frustration, he wasn't ready to be out of the Cathedral yet. Wasn't ready to move among the unenlightened with drawing attention. Yet they had no choice, their hand had been forced.

It felt wrong, to be leading him into the jaws of the beast when every instinct cried out for her to take him back to safety. There was nothing for it though, the erstwhile raider had insisted on coming. She couldn't lie, having the brute at her back would make her feel a lot safer. Something she was all too grateful for as the static crackle of the radio announced their arrival at the gates.
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

Bibliophilia

"Are you going to help me, or not?"

"Maybe.  What do I get out of it?"

"Excuse me?  You expect to get something for helping me?"

"Let's just say that I'm not the kind of person who does something for nothing."

"I can't believe this.  I am genuinely baffled by what is happening right now."

"Okay, yeah, but seriously, you're sort of bleeding to death there.  So, what do I get for helping you?"

"Right now I'd almost rather die."

"Are you being serious?  Just make me an offer!"

"This is so ridiculous.  Fine, if you save me, I'll give you five hundred dollars."

"Excellent!  Seems like you kind of put a low price on your own life, but I'm not complaining.  Here, let me just use this bandage to ameliorate your circumstances and we'll find the nearest ATM."

RampantDesires

supposititious
adjective suh-pah-zuh-TISH-us

Definition
1 a : fraudulently substituted : spurious
b : (of a child) falsely presented as a genuine heir : illegitimate
2 a : imaginary
b : of the nature of or based on a supposition : hypothetical

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Shores

“Despite his supposititious background, he has his share of admirers and supporters.” I leaned back in my armchair, scotch in hand.

“But he can never inherit the estate. The lion’s share will always go to the real son. I wouldn’t be surprised if his brother gets everything.” The journalist leaned forward, pen in hand.

“Don’t be too quick to pass judgement. Their father is an astute businessman. He’ll only select the best heir for his company.”

“So the rumours are true?”

“That he’s testing them? Yes, I imagine that’s what I would do if I were in his shoes. He’s given each of them a quarter of a million dollars. He wants to see what they do with it.”

“And what have they done with it?”

“They’ve opened restaurants next to each other.”

Dys Astyr

Panic fluttered in his chest, like the pages of the disemboweled books that rained down all around him, settling as a heavy knot in his stomach. It had been a spurious, supposititious thought, and from that one ember had come madness. Madness that spread like wildfire, consuming his every waking moment until there was nothing else. Until he existed only as a vessel for that fire.

What remained of his library was smothered in near darkness, relieved only by searingly bright lances of sunlight that had found a way through the heavy drapes. Rather than alleviating the bone gnawing apprehension, it was those very beams that mercilessly illuminated the nightmare his actions had unleashed.
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

RampantDesires

Many apologies, yesterday's word of the day was....

grok
verb GRAHK

Definition
: to understand profoundly and intuitively