News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hob

Quote from: persephone325 on November 17, 2018, 06:13:18 PM
Today's word of the day is....

susurrous
adjective soo-SUR-us

Definition
: full of whispering sounds

Tiffany Aching approves...

Flower

I enjoyed your contribution, Mirrah. :)

Also...

Did You Know?

English speakers borrowed par force from Anglo-French in the 14th century. Par meant "by" (from Latin per) and the Anglo-French word force had the same meaning as its English equivalent, which was already in use by then. At first, perforce meant quite literally "by physical coercion." That meaning is no longer used today, but it was still prevalent in William Shakespeare's lifetime (1564-1616). "He rush'd into my house and took perforce my ring away," wrote the Bard in The Comedy of Errors. The "by force of circumstances" sense of perforce had also come into use by Shakespeare's day. In Henry IV, Part 2, we find "... your health; the which, if you give o'er to stormy passion, must perforce decay."

Hob

Flower

Did You Know?

Did you expect quirk to be a noun meaning "a peculiarity of action or behavior"? If so, you're probably not alone; the "peculiarity" sense of the noun quirk is commonly known and has been a part of our language since the 17th century. But quirk has long worn other hats in English, too. The sense meaning "a curve, turn, or twist" has named everything from curving pen marks on paper (i.e., flourishes) to witty turns of phrase to the vagaries or twists of fate. In contemporary English, the verb quirk can be used in referring to facial expressions, especially those that involve crooked smiles or furrowed eyebrows.

KarterKicks

Quote from: Justric on November 25, 2018, 09:38:49 PM
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=264702.msg14531644#msg14531644

Hey, glad to have you with us, KarterKicks!  And your bit wasn't dumb at all, never fear!
Thank you! I'm not super confident in my writing yet, so I often qualify it. So Thanks for the validation, I really appreciate it!

Hob

Sorry on the delay, folks. Crazy old day, lemme tell you!

Hob

Did You Know?

César Ritz (1850-1918) earned worldwide renown for the luxurious hotels bearing his name in London and Paris. (The Ritz-Carlton hotel company is a contemporary descendant of these enterprises.) Although they were by no means the first to cater to high-end clients, Ritz's hotels quickly earned reputations as symbols of opulence. F. Scott Fitzgerald, a writer who often focused on the fashionably wealthy, titled one of his short stories "The Diamond as Big as the Ritz," and the phrase "to put on the ritz" means "to indulge in ostentatious display." The adjective ritzy, describing either something fancy or stylish, or the haughty attitudes of the wealthy elite, first checked into the English language in 1920.

The Green One

I reaaally need to thank World of Warcraft for saving my Naga mini challenge for Ewrimo :P

Not available for new stories

Hob

Greetings, all!

As you may or may not have noticed, Word of the Day has been... quiet. Slowing down. Inert. We're just not attracting much in the way of new blood or regular contributions outside of a select (if marvelous) few. And believe it or not, it takes a lot of work to keep these sorts of projects going! So the mentoring team will be shutting this challenge down at the end of this December...

... and relaunch it as a new project to coincide with the New Year!! 

Yes, a new challenge for Word of the Day, with revisions, reformatting, and re-... erm... re-something or other. So if you want to complete this challenge and/or earn one of the current Word of the Day badges, you've got 31 days to do it! Definitely doable, trust me!

The team wants to thank everyone who has contributed over the duration, especially our long-term contributors who have stayed with us WAAAAAAY past the ten posts required for the challenge!  You were all awesome, and we hope to see you in the new version come January!

As a final blow out to the challenge, this month we'll be adding a bit of musical inspiration to the daily offerings. You can submit an entry inspired by either the Word of the Day, that day's bit of audial inspiration, or both!!  There will be some old winter holiday favorites as well as a few "lesser known hits" to choose from.

We hope you've all enjoyed yourselves with this challenge, and stay tuned in for upcoming announcements on the NEW AND IMPROVED Word of the Day challenge to come!!

Sain

PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Eva

Quote from: Armphid on December 27, 2018, 04:36:31 PM
(I got a good idea.  I'm sorry if I get carried away.)

(I am so, so sorry.  I just got this idea in my head and got carried away!  Please let me know if I should have put this somewhere else.)

Armphid, I just wanted to say that I thought your story was great!  I was quickly sucked in and held until the end.  I really like how you mixed sweet and weird and did so with a well balanced hand.  I particularly enjoyed this line, "Her eyes were the bright gray of a knife's edge".  Very evocative and altogether well done.  I look forward to seeing what else you do here on E.

Hob

Armphid

Thank you very much!  :-[  It was a lot of fun to do.
[tr][td]
My ONs/OFFs and Other Info

One-on-One Ideas/Interests

Group Ideas/Interests[/td][td]     [/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Flower

Here's the last word of the day for this WOTD thread! We hope you enjoy the new WOTD. Have a safe holiday. :)

The Green One

It's been great! Happy New Year everyone~

Not available for new stories

Hob

We'll be leaving this up for about a week to give people time to reply to the last couple of words.

Thanks for playing, everyone!!

While I'm at it, I did promise a relaunch, and here it is:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=298384.0  Not much has changed, but we wanted to try and get members and newbies to mingle a bit more and add a little something extra to the challenge.