Alien Astronaught Theory

Started by Hunter, November 11, 2010, 08:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noelle

Quote from: Kate on December 24, 2010, 12:17:22 AM
Perhaps its easier for some to believe that it must all be hoaxes of misinterpretations ... than the thing it really is.

Sorry, no. That's not really how that works. It's not a matter of what's easier, that doesn't even begin to touch on anything I've presented to you. This is the same mistake you've made with the definition of being a skeptic. You're boiling it down to something so simple it's practically condescending, not to mention plainly incorrect. Boiling down a deduction based on research done on things that actually exist isn't just deciding one day that it's easier to deem things a hoax. I've examined the facts on both sides and done the research -- much as skeptics do -- and deduced my position from there.

QuotePlausible isn't enough for some.

Then I wish them a happy existence living in a world full of improbability, where it's just as acceptable to believe in the barely-evidenced than it is in what is heavily supported by fact. I rather enjoy my time living in reality, I'd recommend it to anyone.

QuoteWhat if there was one thing ? How many things should be needed to take the matter seriously as a THEORY, not fact THEORY.
And I don't mean taken seriously by EVERYONE... just taken seriously by SOME ?

What if there was one thing that was beyond our current capability to explain it? Oohh, I don't know, I'd probably say something reasonable. Say, maybe, "This thing is beyond our current capability to explain it," and then follow it up with research using things we can actually observe and measure rather than making the first wild leap I can possibly conceive and then convincing everyone that it MUST BE IT if silly old science can't explain it! But that's just me. Because I'm aware that science does not at any point in time have the answers to every single thing ever, but rather continues to evolve its understanding of particular subjects over a given period of time.

QuoteYou right to choose your intentions, their interpretation, and have right to believe what you do from your mindset, your belief set suits you.
Others are right to choose their intentions , their interpretation and belief sets.

Yes. At base, this is correct. However, if you are equating all methods of deduction, all forms of logic, and all beliefs/theories/whatnot as equal just because you can make it your opinion, I have to very strongly disagree. Not all opinions are equal in standing even if you still have your right to hold it. If that weren't the case, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

QuoteAssuming believers are "primed" to insert alien implications before mundane explanations is an insulting assertion, if you wish one to take you seriously you probably should take them seriously also.

Not really, no. I don't have to take someone's views seriously at all. I can respect them, I can understand that they can hold whatever opinion they want even if it's absolutely ridiculous, but never do I have to actually take it seriously if it's pseudo-science that has very little convincing research done and even less solid evidence. I don't have to take aliens any more seriously than I have to take moon-cats a la Avatar.

Besides, if there are believers here who would like to claim offense to what I'm saying, I'd love to intelligently debate the subject based on the facts that are out there in order to sort out whatever insult I may be inferring, but until then...

But actually, what you're describing is exactly what's happening in this case. People believing in improbable supernatural causes before thinking it could be something much simpler and more realistic. It is what it is.

QuoteBacteria can explain milk curdling perfectly, there is no need for alien inferring.
Some ufo/paranormal cases are not as easily explained through known science.
Plausible explanations within our current scientific knowledge can be treated as "possible" and because its without need of more theories
it can be treated as more likely than thus "explained"

So clearly any gaps we have in knowledge in science is okay to fill in with pseudo-scientific fluff with more holes in it than Swiss cheese. We still don't quite have a complete grasp on how gravity works, so it's probably okay to start feeding people information on how there could be aliens living under the earth's crust that we can't see who are somehow keeping us from floating into space, right? We can't just say "we don't know, but we're working on it" because that's not nearly as exciting as saying that there's some elusive being manipulating our earth. We can't stand the unexplained -- we have to have something to fill that void NOW.

Honestly, your assertion on "alien THEORY" is incredibly tiresome and isn't really serving to make any point except...yes, it's a theory. And a very shoddy one, at that, full of incredibly large gaps -- bigger gaps than the ones that science can't fill. It's a theory in the loosest sense of the word, the layman's term, certainly not the scientific usage of the word (if this confuses you, there is a stickied thread in the Elliquiy U section on the subject). By that definition, I could claim that Amelia Earhart was abducted in midair and shot off to a mystery planet with Tupac Shakur and the Lindbergh baby, rustle up some "unexplained mysteries" that silly old science can't (and therefore probably will never!) explain, and then expect to be taken just as seriously as alternative explanations that have much more solid and tangible and realistic evidence.

None of your definitions thusfar have been particularly accurate starting with your view of what skepticism is and most especially your views on evidence and truth. If we're going to fundamentally argue about "How do we know if what is true is true?! What if everything we know is wrong?!", then that is one seriously large gap of conspiratorial thinking that I cannot even begin to bridge and it's tiresome to even seriously discuss if all you can come to is fluff about objectivity. If someone's truth is that milk curdles from milk-dwelling aliens, that is self-delusion and it does not change the actual, factual truth that it is due to bacteria converting lactic acid. I'm sorry to say there is nothing subjective there.

Edit: Oniya's post basically says it all, but more succinctly. Thank you.

Edit edit: changed objectivity to subjectivity...that's what I get for writing in p&r past midnight...

Jude

Quote from: Kate on December 24, 2010, 12:17:22 AMPerhaps its easier for some to believe that it must all be hoaxes of misinterpretations ... than the thing it really is.
Lets take a step back and actually analyze the lines of evidence behind belief in aliens.  I will, at the same time, give simple explanations for each phenomenon.

Evidence:  Some people have memories of being abducted by aliens.
Explanation:  Human memory is not only fallible, but also subject to tampering as proven by the memory reclamation movement's nonsense.  Furthermore, the vast majority of these abduction memories occur after a person sleeps at night, implying they are dreams.

Evidence:  Crop circles.
Explanation:  ...this has nothing to do with aliens whatsoever.  Why would I need to explain anything?  Aliens are a completely left field cause assigned to this phenomenon.  I won't even bother going into all of the deception at play here.

Evidence:  Bovine Mutilation.
Explanation:  Again, there is not a shred of evidence here that actually points at aliens.  It is absolutely absurd to assume that aliens have anything to do with this.

Evidence:  Implants found with substances that don't exist on earth.
Explanation:  I have heard this story, but I have never seen a shred of evidence to back it up.  If anyone has any links to corroborate this story, please share them.  More than likely this was a story spread by someone who found some biological abnormality that they removed and  brought to a town doctor that served as an "expert" (who was actually unqualified to give any testimony).  Or it could be an outright lie.  Even if a substance was found that does not normally occur on earth inside of a person, there are still a number of possible scientific explanations for this phenomenon that have nothing to do with aliens.
Quote from: Kate on December 24, 2010, 12:17:22 AMSome ufo/paranormal cases are not as easily explained through known science.
Please provide proof.  Furthermore, even if a situation cannot be explained, that does not mean it was caused by aliens.  It means it cannot be explained.
Quote from: Kate on December 24, 2010, 12:17:22 AM
Some people don't buy what is deemed "plausible" by others to explain what they believe or experience, which to them is something else.
And that's exactly why true believers of UFOs exist.  They either A)  have a very powerful personal experience that ties them to this belief in an emotional way or B)  fail to exercise critical thinking and choose to believe in exotic things because it makes them privy to special truth that grants a false feeling of enlightenment.

I can't fault group A for their belief.  It's difficult to exercise logical principles when emotion is present.  Critical thinking is not the default mode of human behavior, so this is all fighting an uphill battle to begin with.  What makes matters even worse is that a large portion of the UFO community is probably mentally ill thanks to "remembering" psychology pseudo-shrinks.

I'm sympathetic, but please remember it's hard to remain that way when I hear these same points repeated ad naseum without evidence.  These very same talking points, more or less, are used in Cryptozoology as well.  It all kind of blurs together as one anecdotal mess.

The thing is, the reason why it's fundamentally not accurate to consider alien existence a scientific theory is because it has failed every experiment to verify whether the theory is correct or not.  We look in the night sky and see nothing.  The hubble hasn't detected anything.  Although the first modern scientific experiment was performed in 1960, scientists had been looking for alien radiowaves for almost decade prior.  Ever since rigorous test done has failed to corroborate the theory.  Add to the fact that there hasn't been any solid confirming evidence, and the situation is pretty clear.

It is very, very likely that aliens do exist, but it is damn near completely impossible that they have interacted with us in any meaningful way, if at all (certainly not beyond some sort of panspermia situation).  It is more likely that you will be killed the next time you get in a car, than it is that a single human being has been abducted by aliens.

Kate

Explanations are candidate causes.

I am not saying that one thing is hands down true or provable, definitively to all belief sets.

I am not trying to convince anyone anything other than the reasoning behind some (including myself) believing it so and being sane and logical in their own belief set ... no more.

This thread isn't titled

"prove to ~me~ Alien Astronaut theory is definitively proven wrong"

Nor

"prove to ~me~ Alien Astronaut theory is definitively true"

Can "we" agree that proof of something to one isn't proof of something to another while the same "facts" are being seen by both ?

While all are logical and sane ? (ie one not "objectively wrong" the other "objectively true")

Remember I don't beleive in objective truth, I beleive objectivity in its literal sense is a myth.

This could be part of the reason some are becoming frustrated arguing their point with me, I have different sets of core beliefs,
assuming we can "meet and agree" on a certain foundation set is hopeless, we all have different sets of foundation beliefs to our current perspective.

We can all have very different ones while being logical, deductive, reasonable, tolerant, diplomatic .. for the subjective world we live in.

Silverfyre

Quote from: Kate on December 24, 2010, 03:53:37 AM

We can all have very different ones while being logical, deductive, reasonable, tolerant, diplomatic .. for the subjective world we live in.

You really need to start learning that the world is a hell of a lot more objective than you think it is.  It doesn't matter if you think that something like a bus is subjective if it hit you crossing the street.  That's a pretty real occurrence and most of the things you are mentioning as being "subjective" really aren't.  Living in a great delusion of reality is really hazardous.

Star Safyre

I am not trying to convince anyone anything other than the reasoning behind some (including myself) believing it so and being sane and logical in their own belief set ... no more.

Saying that you are explaining the reasoning implies that you are giving reasons for the belief.  From what I'm able understand of your argument, so far you've offered no reasons beyond "that's what they believe and belief is reason enough."  I doubt people who hold this as truth produced it out of thin air.  They have what they believe is evidence.  I'm still waiting to see some.

This thread isn't titled

Nor

No, but the board is dedicated to discussing the named topic.  Simply saying one agrees or not is not discussion.  A discussion implies an exchange of facts or ideas regarding the topic.  A simple statement of agreement or disagreement isn't sufficient.

Can "we" agree that proof of something to one isn't proof of something to another while the same "facts" are being seen by both ?

While all are logical and sane ? (ie one not "objectively wrong" the other "objectively true")

Remember I don't beleive in objective truth, I beleive objectivity in its literal sense is a myth.

Obviously we cannot agree to your first statement given that you state that you do not believe in facts or truth.

Regardless, I agree that not everyone understands data and observations in the same way.  There is a great variety in mental capabilities and not everyone is neuronormative.  Though I embrace diversity in cognitive functioning, I accept that those who are neurologically aberrant may not be able to accept the world or observe it beyond their organically defined structures.  Those who are bound to their perspective based on biological limitations should be accepted into discussions such as this, though I do not believe the group can hold them to the same standards of proof and logic as nueronormatives.

This could be part of the reason some are becoming frustrated arguing their point with me, I have different sets of core beliefs,
assuming we can "meet and agree" on a certain foundation set is hopeless, we all have different sets of foundation beliefs to our current perspective.

My frustration at this point is caused by just how far off topic this thread has become.  Rather than debating whether we can debate at all, can we please return to the titled subject instead of this continued digression regarding "Why Kate Can't Debate"?  Honestly, I feel trolled at this point.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Silverfyre

To get back on topic:

I'm curious as to the social, educational, and economic level of those who call themselves "believers" in the alien astronaut theory.  I wonder what type of commonality those factors hold when applied to those who believe in the theory itself.  Perhaps there is something they experience that drives them to believe that little green men have had a hand in human evolution (culturally, genetically, and otherwise) from the beginning of time. 

Thoughts?

Noelle

I am not saying that one thing is hands down true or provable, definitively to all belief sets.

Then what are you saying, exactly? It's fine if you want to defend the reasons why someone might believe in aliens without actually believing yourself, but then when we discuss it and prove why someone shouldn't believe due to those very reasons, you resort back to "that's just your opinion" or "it's just a THEORY" without actually discussing the points we're bringing up. If you haven't made your point, then I invite you to do so sometime soon.

QuoteThis thread isn't titled

Nor

No, but if you'll notice, it is placed in a forum where people discuss things in this manner. It's not titled that way because it doesn't need to be. The point of a debate is to comb over the points for and against a topic, examine the facts, and try to come to a conclusion that is closer to the truth based on all of the above. If you don't want to discuss it like that, then start a different thread where you can subjectively state your points without anyone's criticism.

QuoteCan "we" agree that proof of something to one isn't proof of something to another while the same "facts" are being seen by both ?

We can agree that some people may not be convinced, but the nature of proof isn't changed by self-delusion. If someone refuses to believe that lactic acid-converting bacteria in my milk carton disproves the existence of milk-dwelling aliens, that doesn't change the fact that it's proof, it just means that someone is willfully choosing to ignore it in favor of their own twisted form of logic. Disbelief isn't always good skepticism, especially in the face of solid evidence.

QuoteWhile all are logical and sane ? (ie one not "objectively wrong" the other "objectively true")

I can't agree that all are logical and sane. That's insinuating that all conclusions are equal in standing when they're blatantly not. It's insinuating that everyone has the same "toolkit" of logic when not everyone does. Some people have stronger logical and deductive skills than others -- it's a skill you have to build and exercise. It's not logical to make leaps in reasoning to the supernatural when modern science cannot fully explain something. It is a logical fallacy to accept a lack of evidence as proof, to use it as a strike against something, therefore you cannot logically say that a lack of scientific explanation is "proof" that the supernatural is at play. Truth is not subjective to whim and science is in constant pursuit of that.

QuoteThis could be part of the reason some are becoming frustrated arguing their point with me, I have different sets of core beliefs,

No, it's frustrating because you don't acknowledge any of the points we make with any degree of counter-point. You revert back to the same defense mechanisms that we've also pointed out to not work and then openly wonder why we're discussing it in a discussion forum. If you don't want to do the research and address the points we're raising when we've taken the time to look at yours, if having your views picked apart and criticized bothers you, then please don't waste our time here. If you're on your own individually made-up set of logical standards that the rest of us aren't on, then you're right, this isn't going to work.

Noelle

Quote from: Silverfyre on December 24, 2010, 11:30:16 AM
To get back on topic:

I'm curious as to the social, educational, and economic level of those who call themselves "believers" in the alien astronaut theory.  I wonder what type of commonality those factors hold when applied to those who believe in the theory itself.  Perhaps there is something they experience that drives them to believe that little green men have had a hand in human evolution (culturally, genetically, and otherwise) from the beginning of time. 

Thoughts?

Indeed, to get back on-topic...

It seems to be a large range of demographics in reported believers...From government officials to farmers who think their cows have been blown up by aliens. I think the supernatural tends to transcend certain groups, especially when many accounts of supernatural happenings are personal experiences -- and perceived personal experiences are far more persuasive than "cold" logic, even if they are incredibly flawed. I'd be curious to see if there are any actual commonalities in sightings over time and how those alien reports will change as our own society advances further.

Star Safyre

Quote from: Silverfyre on December 24, 2010, 11:30:16 AM
To get back on topic: Perhaps there is something they experience that drives them to believe that little green men have had a hand in human evolution (culturally, genetically, and otherwise) from the beginning of time. 

You assume they believe in evolution.

Regardless, I did a tiny bit of research (if checking wikipedia can be considered research  ::) ), and I was actually surprised to read Carl Sagan's name mentioned in association with those who have scientifically considered the proposal.  That discussion actually did make me consider that, if there are alien cultures coming in contact with Earth, I can concede that the likelihood of them coming in contact with ancient humans is as likely as modern contact.

Still, this creates two issues to me: Have extraterrestrials contacted humans at any point of history?  What affects could such contact have?

I pose these questions not because I already believe I have the answer.  I am honestly seeking evidence of either.

Silverfyre

Quote from: Star Safyre on December 24, 2010, 11:45:52 AM
You assume they believe in evolution.

Regardless, I did a tiny bit of research (if checking wikipedia can be considered research  ::) ), and I was actually surprised to read Carl Sagan's name mentioned in association with those who have scientifically considered the proposal.  That discussion actually did make me consider that, if there are alien cultures coming in contact with Earth, I can concede that the likelihood of them coming in contact with ancient humans is as likely as modern contact.

Still, this creates two issues to me: Have extraterrestrials contacted humans at any point of history?  What affects could such contact have?

I pose these questions not because I already believe I have the answer.  I am honestly seeking evidence of either.

No, I use the term "evolution" as defined as "any process of formation or growth; development", not just the theory of human evolution.  This is a broad spectrum I am addressing in regards to what facets people believe our race has been changed and influenced by aliens.  It can cover art, culture, social-economics, beliefs... a plethora of subjects and honestly, it seems that there are people out there that think all parts of our society are being influenced by aliens.

It's rather... sad.

Here's one such "believer":

Ultimatum to Obama and all Hostiles, Surrender or Die!

Just...yeah.  I'm sorry, but I can't take these people seriously.

Will

Quote from: Silverfyre on December 24, 2010, 11:54:26 AM
Here's one such "believer":

Ultimatum to Obama and all Hostiles, Surrender or Die!

Oh, that was SO awesome. XD 

I still don't understand where the evidence for aliens comes from.  It's just an assortment of things that are unexplained, and for some reason, it all gets slapped with the "Aliens!" tag.  Why?  It's just unexplained; that's all.  "UFO" doesn't mean "alien spaceship," it means "unidentified flying object."  That could be anything.  So, it seems a little hasty to jump straight to "Aliens!" when there are any number of more mundane explanations.  So again, seriously, where is the evidence?  I would sincerely love to see evidence that points specifically at alien interaction with humans.  Not just open-ended unexplained phenomena. :P
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Star Safyre on December 24, 2010, 11:45:52 AM
Which is why I always like Sagan's take on these things. Despite spending most of his career researching the possibility of intelligent alien life, despite having every reason to have just as much hope and faith as the myriad of 'believers', he sticks by a rational analysis of evidence rather than wishful thinking.

I'm frequently asked, "Do you believe there's extraterrestrial intelligence?" I give the standard arguments - there are a lot of places out there, the molecules of life are everywhere, I use the word billions, and so on. Then I say it would be astonishing to me if there weren't extraterrestrial intelligence, but of course there is as yet no compelling evidence for it.
  Often, I'm asked next, "What do you really think?"
  I say, "I just told you what I really think."
  "Yes, but what's your gut feeling?"
  But I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that might be, is likely to get me in trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgement until the evidence is in.
  I would be very happy if flying saucer advocates and alien abduction proponents were right and real evidence of extraterrestrial life were here for us to examine. They do not ask us though, to believe on faith. They ask us to believe on the strength of their evidence. Surely it is our duty to scrutinise the purported evidence at least as closely and skeptically as radio astronomers do who are searching for alien radio signals.
---Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

mystictiger

So essentially he believes that there is alien life. Otherwise, he wouldn't be looking for it. If he knew that there was not, then he wouldn't look for it. If he knew there was, then he wouldn't need to believe.
Want a system game? I got system games!

Silverfyre

Quote from: mystictiger on December 25, 2010, 06:48:17 PM
So essentially he believes that there is alien life. Otherwise, he wouldn't be looking for it. If he knew that there was not, then he wouldn't look for it. If he knew there was, then he wouldn't need to believe.

He believes that in such a vast universe, it is almost numerically impossible for there NOT to be other life out there.  This does not mean that these cultures are any more advanced technologically than we are or have even visited our planet.   They could all be some sort of proto-bacteria or something of that nature.  Life, according to the mathematical possibilities based solely on the size of universe, has to exist out there. 

Star Safyre

The Demon Haunted World!  *forehead slaps*  How could I forget Sagan's discussion of that in there?!  I'm thinking that because his tone is so logical, his ideas so logically and factually based, I've mentally divorced him from the "believers" group entirely even in cases where their thoughts overlap.  He espoused so many possibilities the pseudo-scientific community embrace as full truth (alien intelligences, intelligent design, etc.) in a way that still remained true to the scientific method: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

As I recall, I particularly enjoyed his discussion of modern "alien abductions" compared to the "demonic nocturnal visitations" of the pre-industrial era and their mutual resemblance to sleep paralysis.

I think the idea of extraterrestrial influence on human culture falls most certainly under the aforementioned quote: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."  Though certainly an exciting idea and not entirely beyond the realm of (extreme) possibility, I'm failing to see the strong, irrefutable evidence such a claim requires.

KaiiVii

I saw an Alien Astro. Show on TV the other day and while they did show a lot of the same old ambiguous arguments one place did stick out. Unfortunately this is about the best article I can find. Me and Crypt would love to visit someday.

http://weeklyworldnews.com/alien-alert/6766/puma-punku/

(Personally I think that it could have been just an advanced civilization of HUMANS or just some lost technique but the only theory I've seen put forth other than aliens is that they are cast from molds.)

Thoughts? Anyone else even know of this before?
"Whatever you are, be a good one"- Abe Lincoln

On/Off/Plot/etc Thread :)

Oniya

I'm quite familiar with the reliability of the Weekly World News.  If that's the best source you've got... um... yeahh.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Noelle

If there can be such thing as an alien/UFO expert, I demand my official status as an accomplished unicornologist finally be recognized and accepted by the world. D:<

KaiiVii

Not ONLY, just the first one that actually talks about anything like the show was, how oddly smooth/exact the materials etc are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumapunku
http://www.suite101.com/content/the-mystery-of-puma-punku-a188888
https://www.forbiddenhistory.info/?q=node/41
http://www.infocuts.com/story/article-001552

However it is hard to find anything with a lot of information that isn't biased in some way. I apologize.

Silverfyre

You do realize that wikipedia is hardly a creditable source, right?  I... honestly am not going to re-launch into my explanation on how these "symbols of aliens" are nothing more than matrixing and how some ill-informed individual's theory on how little green men are responsible for all the great wonders of humanity is complete and utter trash.  If you want to read my explanation, then please scroll up and search for it.  All I have to offer this time around is please don't believe everything you see on the History channel or read on the internet, especially from sources any one can edit and from a dishrag tabloid. 

KaiiVii

If you look at MY original post I did not say I thought it was aliens, I think it is simply INTERESTING, and strange. Should I have posted this somewhere else? I do know not to use Wikipedia but honestly after looking through 6 pages of search results I kinda gave up. I expected thoughts and ideas, not to be attacked because there is nothing that I can find that has any better information. Excuse me. Again I apologize.

Noelle

Silverfyre

Silverfyre

Quote from: KaiiVii on January 26, 2011, 06:54:13 PM
If you look at MY original post I did not say I thought it was aliens, I think it is simply INTERESTING, and strange. Should I have posted this somewhere else? I do know not to use Wikipedia but honestly after looking through 6 pages of search results I kinda gave up. I expected thoughts and ideas, not to be attacked because there is nothing that I can find that has any better information. Excuse me. Again I apologize.

I did not mean what I said as a personal attack, merely as a questioning of the sources you were citing.  It may be interesting, yes, but it is based on ill perceived knowledge and misconstrued facts.  No need to apologize, I am just trying to point out how skewed this theory is, that is all.

Star Safyre