New Message Issue

Started by Wistful Dream, January 11, 2012, 10:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wistful Dream

I'm getting alerts when I get a new message, which is nice, the red bold uptop and all. When I click reply it shows up like I have a new message still, as in another one arrived that I haven't seen yet. I reply and click to view the forum, it still has the red bolded font so I click back into my inbox and then there isn't a new message, just the one I already replied to. Its happened more then once so I thought I'd just mention it and see if anyone else was having the same happen.

Caeli

Have you tried clearing your cookies recently? Sometimes that clears up similar problems.

I know there has been a longstanding problem where, from my inbox, one of my labels (or the inbox) will sometimes read that I have a new PM (bolded with a (1) or (2) or however many), even when I've already read it. I've never had an issue with the red text at the top being "out of date," though, so my first suggestion would be to clear your cookies and see if it continues to happen.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Wistful Dream

I did earlier this afternoon because it had been playing the joke on me for the past few days  :-\

Caeli

Weirdness. :/ Does it happen in other browsers besides your primary?

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Wistful Dream

Hmm, that's a good question. I'll try E in Firefox next time I get a message then. I use Chrome.

lollipop

It does it to me (in Firefox) and has for months now. It does it too, if I have multiple new messages. It lasts through four or five screen refreshes and disappears.

jouzinka

I knew you guys were special. ::)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Wistful Dream

lollipop

Quote from: jouzinka on January 11, 2012, 11:15:33 PM
I knew you guys were special. ::)

Get off our short bus!

:p

~wiggles butt~

jouzinka

Quote from: Wistful Dream on January 11, 2012, 11:15:50 PM
...thanks?  ::)
Okay... SUPER special. O:)
Quote from: lollipop on January 11, 2012, 11:27:08 PM
Get off our short bus!

:p

~wiggles butt~
Short? For that buttshake it's gotta be wiiiiiiiiiide. :P

*flees*

lollipop

~scowls at jouzi~

I wish my butt was bigger, but alas ... I've no Kardashian genes.

jouzinka

Well, you just need to shake a bit more, then. ;D

// thread hijack

Sorry, girls, but other than clearing cache/cookies, neither do I have a suggestion. It may be that you have too many messages and SMF is just acting up, just like it tends to with threads with too many answers, but I don't know how many messages you have, so that's totally a shot into the dark...

lollipop

Quote from: jouzinka on January 11, 2012, 11:38:09 PM
Well, you just need to shake a bit more, then. ;D

// thread hijack

Sorry, girls, but other than clearing cache/cookies, neither do I have a suggestion. It may be that you have too many messages and SMF is just acting up, just like it tends to with threads with too many answers, but I don't know how many messages you have, so that's totally a shot into the dark...

I've got more than 3000 and come to think of it ... it didn't do it until I hit the 2,500 mark.

jouzinka

Hm... that will not be it, then, but was worth the shot. XD

Wistful Dream

Beguile's Mistress

I'm up over 5 digits and I haven't had this problem even when I can't get rid of that pesky (1) that seems to cling tenaciously in the inbox.

Caeli

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on January 11, 2012, 11:56:42 PM
I'm up over 5 digits and I haven't had this problem even when I can't get rid of that pesky (1) that seems to cling tenaciously in the inbox.

Same here.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Wistful Dream

Does it in Firefox and Safari. Don't have IE because I'm on a Mac.

Sure

For what it's worth, that's happened to me, though since the total number stays consistent (ie, 100 PMs, 1 New stays as 100 PMs, 1 New after I've read it, but would be 101 PMs, 2 New if a new one came in) I've never found it overly confusing. This has been true over Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. I thought it just happened to everyone.

It's also not an issue with the number of PMs you have. It's happened to me since long before I got up to higher numbers. What number specifically I couldn't say.

Geraint

I have had the pesky lingering numer on the in box ever since I came here.  But, for the last week, the big red Headline at the top of the page (which used to be very reliable) has been behaving the same pesky way, popping up (or remaining) after I answer the only unread message.

I'm using IE9, and have somewhat over 1900 messages in my in box. 

I got it in IE8 as well, and updating to IE9 three days ago did not change that situation.

[On the positive side, updating to IE9 removed a couple of other site quirks, so I shall consider myself ahead of the game. :)]

Vekseid

It won't be browser dependent, or (typically) be helped by fixing your clock or cache. It basically happens when the server forgets how to count, or potentially APC is caching things too aggressively server side. It -should- get resolved when someone sends you a PM, but that doesn't always work. If it really bugs someone I can go kill it in the database manually.

lollipop

It is terribly annoying. However, I wouldn't think it is that big of a deal for the time being. Especially if you're still working on all the other things.

~nods~

Wistful Dream

Ah well no big, I was just wondering if it was something particular to me.

Haibane

I thought this was a well-know problem that has been going on for ages, a year at least. It affects me most days. I know I saw an explanation from a staff member at some point and I think its a failing of the site code but fixing it is low priority.