4e D&D Kingmaker-ish (closed for now)

Started by JohnTheGreat, November 25, 2017, 08:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnTheGreat

I'm considering putting together a D&D game just as an outlet for the ideas I've had rattling around in my head for a while now and am just checking what sort of interest there is for 4e.

I don't have a setting in mind for it and that's intentionally left vague at the moment as the players will be setting sail for a relatively newly discovered island to help the fledgling colony there. I don't have any intention of converting actual Kingmaker content from Pathfinder but the idea I have in mind is similar in that the players will be helping build a small village up into what will hopefully be a prosperous island nation.

It wouldn't have any real focus on sexual content, just a mature, adult game so if it comes up it comes up.
Ideally I'd like 5 or so players and it wouldn't be too hard for people to come and go as adventurers come to and leave the island seeking work.

ShadowFox89

You have my interest. Any further details such as level of smut expected, action to puzzle ratio, etc?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

JohnTheGreat

I was thinking something that would focus on exploration and whatnot, so hopefully social interactions and puzzles would be just as important as the action.
Smut is obviously welcome but I just don't want to get bogged down with people fucking in town when there are ruins to explore and beasts to slay if that makes sense.

ShadowFox89

Makes sense. What sort of tech level were you thinking for the setting? I had an idea for a tiefling from a family of bankers that was basically a rip off of the Medicis that I never got to use.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

JohnTheGreat

No guns, no steampuny airships, but I don't think there would be any problem with banking infrastructure being a thing that exists.

clonkertink

I’d be interested. Never played 4e, but I looked through the books once, and kingdom building can be a lot of fun.

Dhi

4e is fun, I'm interested. I'll play anything but a striker, prefer leader or controller roles.

JohnTheGreat

Quote from: clonkertink on November 25, 2017, 11:55:06 PM
I’d be interested. Never played 4e, but I looked through the books once, and kingdom building can be a lot of fun.
It's my favourite edition and I wish more people enjoyed it. The combat is kinda of videogamey, which I don't really think is a bad thing, it works well with tanks, crowd control, DPS and healer/buffers. Martial classes having cool abilities means combat never ends up as 'oh it's my turn? I auto attack'. It's also an absolute pleasure for DMing when you can fit all the rules you need for building monsters from scratch fit on a business card  O:)

clonkertink

Yeah, I don't really have anything against it. I'll play just about any system. The moment I heard "Kingmaker" I immediately thought "man, it'd be cool to be a Warlord in a campaign like that."

JohnTheGreat

Well Warlord is in fact a class in 4e so that shouldn't be too hard ;)

Chulanowa

Never gave 4e a shot either, wouldn't mind giving it a shot :)

AndyZ

I have a Deva Avenger from back in the day that I'd love to pull back out ^_^
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Evergreen

I might be interested. Is this voice or text based?
o/o

JohnTheGreat

Just text on here, probably with an IC thread, an OOC thread, and maybe a separate combat thread just to keep things neatly ordered (though I'll admit I'm not experienced with running games via forums so I don't know if it's better to split off and have a whole web of threads for things happening in different places or setting posting orders for people or anything).

Evergreen

I've only really done 5e but I'd be down for 4e as well!
o/o

JohnTheGreat

Great, well it looks like there's interest so if people want to start picking classes/races/roles and coming up with some backstories that'd be cool.

For those of you who've not played 4e it has 4 'roles' to consider during character creation; Leader, Controller, Defender, and Striker. Striker is your classic DPS, Defender a tank which typically acts by marking a target and they suffer extra attacks or debuffs if they attack anyone other than the tank, Leaders which buff the party and heal, and Controllers which are exactly what it says on the label, they immobilize and shuffle around enemies as well as use AoEs to mop up mooks (which are actually a thing this edition, they have 1HP minions to make players feel powerful even at low levels).

National Acrobat

I'd be interested in playing, I haven't played 4e in years, but am interested in a kingmaker type game. I'd likely submit ae Eladrin druid, which would be a controller.

JohnTheGreat

Cool, well for the moment I suppose I'll call that enough players and list this as closed until we've at least had confirmation from everyone here in the form of.. well I won't demand character sheets yet but it'd be nice. For now lets say a race, class, role, and at least a couple of lines about the character.

ShadowFox89

I'd probably look at either a defender or striker role.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

JohnTheGreat

Plenty of options for both.

Something I do think is cool is they list the power source for classes, so there can be an entire party of divine powered people, or all martial, etc.

Oh and if anyone needs help with mechanics or anything shoot me a PM.

National Acrobat

I've still got the old 4e Character Generator from WoTC, so I'm good with character creation and creating a CS.

Ci'ona Tol Galen is an Eladrin Druid, who follows Melora. In tune with the aspects of nature as a child, she is a carefree spirit, dedicated to preserving nature, and ensuring that those who take from it, do so in a respectful and wise manner. Wise beyond her years, her faith has tasked her with bringing Melora's practices to new areas, and with that comes the responsibility of setting up a new druid circle in an unexplored area once it has been settled. Ci'ona is wild, her social and etiquette skills are rather blunt, despite her wisdom, and she approaches situations with a thoughtful resolve. In a fight, she is a savage combatant, using her wild shape to shape the battlefield around her.

Ci'ona will be a druid, which is a controller, with the Predator Build, and the Primal Predator aspect.

initial CS: http://www.whenthesungrowscold.com/ciona.pdf

Mythweavers sheet https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1410205
How are we doing Character Creation?

Evergreen

I'd like to play as a striker, a Deceptive Warlock.

Here's a basic background for my character.

Alright! So I went along with clonkertink's approach and created a sheet on myth-weavers. I did try my best! But I think some things still might be missing. Hopefully, you guys could help me out!

o/o

clonkertink

I was thinking of playing a human warlord, Justine Hestia Galesong (a Leader character). Nobleborn, and fresh out of her training at the military academy, Justine is in this to bring honour to her family and civilization to the frontier.

She's a stern, no-nonsense individual, her military training still fresh in her mind. This icy exterior hides a fervent warrior spirit, however, and on the battlefield she is an earnest, passionate fighter who leads from the front. She feels it is her responsibility to ensure the survival of her companions (regardless of how well they get along off the battlefield) and will fight to the last to protect them.

ShadowFox89

Looks like that sets me up as a Defender then. I'll do through my books and see what pops out. Perhaps a tiefling battlemind.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Dhi

Mischievous Three tailed Fox Goads Devil, Missy for short, is a hengeyokai hunter (Essentials ranger controller variant). Many would call her a vagabond, wandering the highways of the land, taking odd jobs and offering small goods in trade, bestowing the blessings of a queer trickster god. But what Missy does is a sacred duty, for Oinari tests all travelers at the crossroads. It's by these nine-tailed creatures the heavenly laws of irony and drama were first penned, and Missy is one of their few faithful remaining in this world.

Missy has three fox-tails, not pictured.

clonkertink

Updated my character post with a preliminary character sheet. Pretty bare bones. Not sure if I've missed anything (aside from filling in abilities. I'll get to that a little later)

Dhi

Here's a sheet for your consideration.
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1409829

I dipped into Thievery to cover that if necessary, and it fits the character.

Evergreen

I've also updated my character post with a sheet. I've probably missed some things so hopefully, you guys might help me out?
o/o

National Acrobat

Updated my character submission post with an initial CS linked.

clonkertink

So.... looking through the character sheets I might need to make a new character concept. Not sure how well Justine fits in right now. I figured she'd work well for a kingdom-focused campaign, but everyone else seems to be going very primal, chaotic neutral types. I mean, mechanically, I think she works just fine. But I might have to change portraits and backstories so she's more of a "Barbarian Conqueror" type. Someone with less of a stick up her ass.

Thoughts?

National Acrobat

Maybe she can teach some of us the finer points of civilization, explain why certain institutions are important, how they fit in with everything?

JohnTheGreat

Quote from: clonkertink on November 26, 2017, 04:58:34 PM
So.... looking through the character sheets I might need to make a new character concept. Not sure how well Justine fits in right now. I figured she'd work well for a kingdom-focused campaign, but everyone else seems to be going very primal, chaotic neutral types. I mean, mechanically, I think she works just fine. But I might have to change portraits and backstories so she's more of a "Barbarian Conqueror" type. Someone with less of a stick up her ass.

Thoughts?

Chaos and order need to be in balance, too much of either and you end up with anarchy or a dictatorship.

She also works very well as someone who can join the fledgling town guard and become a valuable officer as the colony grows, potentially becoming the leader of the city watch or a general at a later date, the colony will need people like that.

She does need you to recheck her speed though, you've not added your base speed and currently move -1 square a turn.

clonkertink

I think you really summed up my intentions with the character, John. I designed her thinking she'd make a good General, rather than Queen of our fledgling empire. I was expecting that someone else might aspire to the throne who could moderate her rigid ideas. She'd play Spock to the ruler's Kirk. Or, perhaps more apt, she'd play Saul Tigh to the ruler's Adama.

If she's the only lawful character though, I figured it might be better to switch her to a conquering barbarian princess concept. That way, we'd still have a character whose goals were specifically on kingdom building, but she'd be better suited to rallying a ragtag bunch of chaotic weirdos.

JohnTheGreat

Quote from: Dhi on November 26, 2017, 03:24:36 PM
Here's a sheet for your consideration.
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1409829

I dipped into Thievery to cover that if necessary, and it fits the character.
Stealth and thievery will be useful. I probably should have mentioned I'm not super keen on or familiar with Essentials content but it's not a huge deal. Do you not get a daily power from it though?

Oh, and everyone else may want to follow her lead and fill in the boxes under your abilities so you don't need to reference a rulebook to see what your powers do.

*Edit*
Oh and you need an age on your sheet.

Dhi

I don't intend to play Missy as CN or primitive. She represents a small god(dess) who's all but faded away with the disappearance of animism, but who once shepherded humanity's villages and served as consort to emperors. I see this as a redemption for Oinari and Missy earning her fourth tail. She will be very invested in the story, as she has always been invested in the little villages on the byroads. That she doesn't come from an academy with a title of peerage doesn't, I don't think, disqualify her from service to the kingdom. This is what adventure arcs are all about. If you were to play a barbarian conqueror and pull the party in a different direction than the Kingmaker-style story, I would be disappointed.

And we wouldn't have a leader class anymore, so I would need to make a different character anyway.

JohnTheGreat

Quote from: Evergreen on November 26, 2017, 03:27:18 PM
I've also updated my character post with a sheet. I've probably missed some things so hopefully, you guys might help me out?
You're missing gold and might want to buy some more equipment, as well as the stats on that dagger attack (but that's pretty unimportant I doubt you'll ever need to get stabby with it).

Dhi

Quote from: JohnTheGreat on November 26, 2017, 06:10:02 PM
Stealth and thievery will be useful. I probably should have mentioned I'm not super keen on or familiar with Essentials content but it's not a huge deal. Do you not get a daily power from it though?

Oh, and everyone else may want to follow her lead and fill in the boxes under your abilities so you don't need to reference a rulebook to see what your powers do.

*Edit*
Oh and you need an age on your sheet.

I could make her a seeker instead if you don't want to use Essentials. Is hengeyokai still okay?

Hunters don't really get daily attack powers, I'm fine with that.

clonkertink

Quote from: Dhi on November 26, 2017, 06:11:49 PM
I don't intend to play Missy as CN or primitive. She represents a small god(dess) who's all but faded away with the disappearance of animism, but who once shepherded humanity's villages and served as consort to emperors. I see this as a redemption for Oinari and Missy earning her fourth tail. She will be very invested in the story, as she has always been invested in the little villages on the byroads. That she doesn't come from an academy with a title of peerage doesn't, I don't think, disqualify her from service to the kingdom. This is what adventure arcs are all about. If you were to play a barbarian conqueror and pull the party in a different direction than the Kingmaker-style story, I would be disappointed.

And we wouldn't have a leader class anymore, so I would need to make a different character anyway.

Thanks for the clarification Dhi. The role in the founding of villages is cool. I saw the "Trickster God" bit and figured that would lean towards Chaotic Neutral tendencies. This makes more sense to me and makes me feel a little more at ease about running Justine. What I meant for reskinning Justine is that I'd keep the same character sheet (Still a Warlord, class-wise) but she'd be a Warlord from a more chaotic society. Basically, "Viking Warlord" rather than "Feudal Military Captain." Same crunch, just different fluff.

But I'll stick with what I have for now. I'm a little less worried. And I'm sure once we start connecting our characters' backstories, it'll all start to take shape.

JohnTheGreat

Quote from: Dhi on November 26, 2017, 06:21:08 PM
I could make her a seeker instead if you don't want to use Essentials. Is hengeyokai still okay?

Hunters don't really get daily attack powers, I'm fine with that.
Nah it's all good, keep her as is.

Quote from: clonkertink on November 26, 2017, 06:22:14 PMBut I'll stick with what I have for now. I'm a little less worried. And I'm sure once we start connecting our characters' backstories, it'll all start to take shape.
Awesome  8-)

Dhi

John, the reason I did not put an age is this passage from the hengeyokai article.

QuoteThe race is exceptionally long-lived, with an
unusual life cycle. Hengeyokai can live for over 200
years, but for the first century they exist only as animals
and cannot assume another form. Except for
their extended life span and above-average intelligence,
immature hengeyokai differ little from
mundane animals. Once they reach 100 years of age,
they can assume hybrid and human forms. At this
point, they are the equivalent of human adolescents,
but any memories of their previous existence are hazy
and indistinct.

What do you think, is Missy 100+ years old? Is this appropriate to the setting?

National Acrobat

I'm going more for a 'Wise Woman/Counselor' type role, with Insight, Perception and some knowledge as trained skills. She just worships Nature, instead of a traditional deity.

I am likely to change unaligned to Good before we start playing.

She is true to her fey (wood elf) leanings though, and is a bit handicapped in some social settings, and that makes her a little rough around the edge, which also gives good RP potential for her learning that aspect of life.

She does eschew armor and only has a staff, as wild shape and her powers will be her combat orientation.

JohnTheGreat

Quote from: Dhi on November 26, 2017, 06:26:25 PM
What do you think, is Missy 100+ years old? Is this appropriate to the setting?
Yeah that's fine.

JohnTheGreat

Quote from: National Acrobat on November 26, 2017, 06:29:44 PM
I'm going more for a 'Wise Woman/Counselor' type role, with Insight, Perception and some knowledge as trained skills. She just worships Nature, instead of a traditional deity.

I am likely to change unaligned to Good before we start playing.

She is true to her fey (wood elf) leanings though, and is a bit handicapped in some social settings, and that makes her a little rough around the edge, which also gives good RP potential for her learning that aspect of life.

She does eschew armor and only has a staff, as wild shape and her powers will be her combat orientation.

Cool. Since everyone else is giving them mind putting together a character sheet on myth weavers?

clonkertink

@Acrobat: Yeah, I got that impression from reading your backstory. Ci'ona seemed like a good "cabinet minister." "I'll show you through the woods, and help you found your settlement, but I'm Nature's elected representative in the government."

National Acrobat

Myth weavers sheet added to my descriptive post.

Chulanowa

Realized I have no 4e materials, so this might be a trip to figure out  ;D

JohnTheGreat

Quote from: National Acrobat on November 26, 2017, 08:21:32 PM
Myth weavers sheet added to my descriptive post.
Sweet.
Quote from: Chulanowa on November 26, 2017, 08:24:51 PM
Realized I have no 4e materials, so this might be a trip to figure out  ;D
PM me if you need any help, but it should be as simple as grabbing the players handbook PDF and following the steps in it. 4e is fairly streamlined and shouldn't be hard to work out.

clonkertink

Been reviewing my math, and I think I may have calculated my HP incorrectly?

So, just to clarify, a level 1 Warlord has 12 HP + Constitution score. So if I can a Constitution score of 12, I start with 24 HP, not 13 (12 + CON modifier), as I originally thought? I'm so used to Pathfinder/5e that I just assumed it worked the same in 4e.

JohnTheGreat

Quote from: clonkertink on November 26, 2017, 08:36:08 PM
Been reviewing my math, and I think I may have calculated my HP incorrectly?

So, just to clarify, a level 1 Warlord has 12 HP + Constitution score. So if I can a Constitution score of 12, I start with 24 HP, not 13 (12 + CON modifier), as I originally thought? I'm so used to Pathfinder/5e that I just assumed it worked the same in 4e.
Good catch, you are indeed supposed to have 24 HP.

JohnTheGreat

Evergreen I think you've made the same mistake. Your sheet says 10HP but a Warlock is 12+ Con so you should be 26 and your healing surges should be 6+ Con mod (+2), not just 6.

clonkertink

Man, I feel like a noob all over again. Thanks, John. 4e is a very different animal from what I'm used to. Still, I'm pumped! I like learning new systems.

JohnTheGreat

It is very different, I hope you'll enjoy it when we get into the real crunch of combat. The numbers get way higher than other editions and the whole thing has a more heroic feel to it even at lvl 1.

I also have an opening post ready so I think I should be going and making threads.

Dhi

What benefits do we share with each other?

I saw Justine gives me +2 initiative.

I grant everyone else +2 stealth when I roll a stealth check, and eliminate the perception penalty for being asleep.

clonkertink

Also, any time someone spends an action surge to attack, and I can see them, you add my INT Bonus to the attack roll (Normally, it's 1/2 my INT bonus, but I took a feat to boost it.)

Chulanowa

I've got a few notions for a monk (striker), berserker barbarian (defender), or shaman (leader). Will ahve to go over my options and what stuff does, though.

AndyZ

Is this full already?  I already expressed interest but was a little busy yesterday.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

JohnTheGreat

We're rolling ahead with it already but yes we still have space for you.

AndyZ

If you have anyone who wants the spot, I'll withdraw.  I'll end up needing a few days to get this done.  Apologies.

Chulanowa

Well, didn't know it was first come first serve. Have fun guys  :-)

...Unless you're waiting for my character or...?  ??? Pardon sometimes I'm easily baffled

JohnTheGreat

There's still room if you want to hurry and make a character and throw them into the IC thread.

Chulanowa

Oh, okay! I'll see what I can conjure up then