Those with Aspergers or Autism...

Started by someinheritthewealth, March 02, 2014, 09:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

someinheritthewealth

I was diagnosed last year and in many way it was a relief but with it understanding came and I just wonder how those diagnosed earlier learned to handle the big factor and annoyance of information overload... If I get too much information I just switch off or get too stressed... I am trying to apply to college or universities courses and I know what I want, but I just can't handle everything flung at me at once, I am reading information and trying to discern but without a guiding hand or sorts I get lost and really I should be applying now...

I guess I just want advice how do others with the condition handle that information overload is there some secret I have yet to learn, personally I would love it if there is, but I doubt it...

Any help would be appreciated though...

Hope I am posting this in the right place...

Vanity Evolved

Do you have anyone you can contact professionally about this? Also, how severe is your diagnosis? My girlfriend suffers from moderate austism and has similar reactions when faced with large amounts of information, and part of her coping mechanism is work; she gets very easily overwhelmed if she's sat around doing nothing and when she got less hours at work, but now that she's regularly working and occupying her time, she's coped much better. She's done quite well, considering that her family not only gave her no support for her condition, at home or through doctors and they even hid her condition from her for a large portion of her life.

I can't imagine what you're going through. I don't have the condition myself, and after being out of education for a good eight years, I can sympathize; the amount of information I had to get when applying for university, student finance and such was ridiculous. My university had a drop in center, even for non-students, who can help walk you through the process or give you the information you need for certain parts of your application.

All I can say is, like with any diagnosis of a constant condition, don't pressure yourself too hard to cope. A year is relatively short when you think about it, so putting a huge pressure on yourself to adapt to a change in your life isn't going to help. Hopefully, you can get in contact with some help groups, either in your community or online with people who can help you get an idea on what works for you as a coping mechanism.

ReduxRed

I don't but my younger brother has autism. He's 16. He does find it a terrible stress though. We're trying to get him more support, there's a few support services. I don't think I can help aside from saying search everywhere, online and offline, for supports where people know what you're going through and can help you. My brother struggles with a lot of things though... My sister and I support him as best we can though, so maybe try reaching out to family as well. If you know what you want then maybe family or friends can help you with applications.