Yet another Pathfinder request, but with good reason!

Started by Runi, December 09, 2018, 07:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runi

If this thread gets buried, I have no regrets, but I thought I would try. I've seen a fair few "Looking for" threads involving Pathfinder that leads me to believe there are quality GMs here that can make that framework...well, work. But most of them seem fairly well established, and it would really bother me to bog down other's experience with my fumbling attempts to learn about the site.

I'm fairly well versed in Pathfinder, even more so with D&D 3.0 and 3.5. However, I am utterly new here on E and still getting a feel for both the site and style of community.

I'm hoping to find a group to join who would be understanding of a new E member. (Character sheet formats, photo posting procedures, navigating IC and OOC threads, common accepted rules and procedures that are better learnt through experience than memorization, etc.) The game mechanic side I'm comfortable with, and I'm hoping to use that as a safe environment to get my feet wet.

Feel free to offer suggestions in whatever form you feel most constructive, I appreciate the opportunity.
"No, Hobbes, nailing a live octopus to a wall is impossible, everything else is merely difficult." ~ John Taylor

O/o

Chanticleer

Greetings, Runi.

In my experience, people here at E are extremely welcoming of newcomers. Provided that you ask questions when you're confused, I imagine you'll find yourself enjoying games here quite quickly.

I would suggest that you do apply to some of the current set of games which are recruiting. Read through those recruitments, see how people are going about doing what. Possibly look in one of the active gaming forums to read a bit of games which are currently in-play.

I won't tell you that everyone here is an angel,  >:) but by and large almost everyone I've seen here is helpful and understanding when you ask about things or need assistance.
My current O/os (need work)

MasterMischief

Quote from: Chanticleer on December 10, 2018, 06:36:04 PM
I won't tell you that everyone here is an angel...

Some of us are llamas.   ;D

Being new will not be the challenge.  Keeping the game going for more than a week will.  Is there a particular type of game you are looking for?  Does your sword hunger for the taste of your enemies' blood or doth thy wit yearn to display your superiority?  Perhaps you wish to explore a fantastical world of myth and mystery.

Runi

Right, so nooo touchy the Kuzco, got it. *chuckle*

Thank you both, I was hesitant to reply too soon and make it seem like unnecessary bumping.

At your suggestion Chanticleer I've been browsing the LFG and LFGM threads, and I thank you for that idea. It's incredibly interesting to see the kinds of games folk think up, and I've posted to join at least one waiting list.

As of yet, I don't feel like I have any preferences MasterMischief. I'm not usually the type to build min maxed war machines, though I could if the story lead that way. I've always enjoyed complex characters, with attachments to their world. In Pathfinder I adore the Kingmaker portion; being able to build a life literally from the ground up. And if the resources don't match the skillset of the character, like a druid finding a rich mining deposit (a progress vs nature dilemma), it's realistic and trying to find other a way around that, or decide to move on. Or focus on immigration and find some other resource to make use of in the area.

I'm not sure if that answered your question, I'm sorry. I guess I like the mundane portion of urban fantasy, even in a high fantasy world. I don't just want to suddenly be amazing, I want to earn that power and recognition. Probably says a lot about my psychology. *chuckle*
"No, Hobbes, nailing a live octopus to a wall is impossible, everything else is merely difficult." ~ John Taylor

O/o

Beltyn

If this does go somewhere, since it kind of feels like thoughts and ideas are being hoarded and put into neat little rows - as some of us like to do - then I would like to volunteer to participate in whatever might go on. I have played a decent amount of Pathfinder, and kind of prefer it to D&D, being similarly different systems. So many options. And I would not worry about the bumping stuff, personally. If its an active thread its an active thread, yeah?

GreenFlame

Hi, Runi! I always up to play PF and odds are I will be starting a game every now and then. Actually, there is a bit of advice. I looked at this thread hoping you have so sort of idea what you want to play and it is more about looking for people. My experience (mostly from other places) is that a lot of games start don't start 'a game' for something specifying. like 'a game was everyone is mana wasted mutant hell bend on infecting as many peoples as possible' or 'In this game you kill goblins, a lot. I believe it called the red hand of doom' or 'In this a game where we are using mech rules by Gonzo' so then you are one initiating the game, try to come up with a character, a bit of world build or plot you would really like to see and check if others are interested as well.

Have you ever played any PBP? If you did what forms, maybe I can help you transfer your experience. E seems to have two threats (IC & OOC) just like GitP.