Dungeon Crawl Mafia - Game Over (Anyone May post here now!)

Started by RedPhoenix, January 26, 2016, 02:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

Here's the thing, a role that has to vote to kill is nothing new to Mafia and werewolves, same thing with a role that cannot vote to kill. Those characters are always on the town's side, they just have wonky vote conditions.

Vera is still relatively new to Mafia, I don't think she'd be familiar enough with the role to make that up, plus it's information she volunteered. She could have just told us she's chaotic good, and I think many players would very satisfied. She didn't have to tell us about her voting requirement. To me, the extra information seems truthful, and fits what we know about her.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about finding the pacifist. Normally they're harmless (literally), but in a game with a minimum requirement for total votes to get a kill, based on the number of players, they could actually become a serious problem in late rounds of the game.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

King Serperior

Xavier huffs at the argument, "I still think that my having those boots would be useful to someone.  I am no pacifist myself, but I do not approve of those who sneak around like cowards to kill another in their sleep.  I won't argue if you are deadset on giving those boots to someone else, but I guarentee that someone will thank me long after I am gone."

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Mintprincess

(In case you didn't know I'm 100% new at this too and have no idea what I'm doing ;) )

King Serperior

((I also have no idea what I am doing either!  Just guessing, crossing my fingers, and hoping I am right!))

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Galactic Druid

You guys are doing great! It takes a game or two to really know what to look for in a mafia game. Heck, I've run at least 50 of them between Online and Offline, and stuff still catches me off guard.

The biggest advantage people in my situation have is that we know a lot of the common roles that are seen in mafia games, and really, that's only an advantage in a game like this, where no information is given about what possible roles are in play. That's why a claim like Versaille's doesn't seem crazy to me, I'm pretty used to seeing the role of 'has to vote for a kill' and vice versa.

Mintprincess

Oooh. Well that makes sense.   (Out of character anyway! In character they would not 'know' roles either)

Remiel

It did cross my mind that Verasaille could be on the side of evil simply because she's a Tiefling, but I would hope the game wouldn't make it that obvious.

On another note, we have two dwarves!  Do we really need two dwarves?  Isn't one dwarf enough? :P

Mintprincess

I have no idea what a teifling is lol. 

And hey! We dwarfs are awesome! I have beautiful hair! And a very beneficial spell that I'm worried talking about will make me a target of our bad guys.  It would help to do it first (as like you Remy I have to cast it on someone else). It's a good spell! Very helpful.   

And I won't turn your skin colors with it! Although that's kinda helpful too.  And look how helpful I was with derwaysh! His hair made him suspicious and look what he did there!!!! He ran off with the stuff! And the shiny! For being clueless I'm good at this!

King Serperior

"Ay!  We Dwarves are quite useful indeed.  However, I don't have any skills of the arcane type, but I am limited unless I know the difference between those whom I am dealing with.  I need information to maximize my potential, otherwise, I am only good at hacking at giant bugs and other vicious beasts.  Because of that, I don't envision myself as a priority target of either elimination or killing since my usefulness depends on what I know, which is nearly nothing."

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Galactic Druid

Guys, shhhhhh, don't tell the bad guys which of you have powers and not.

Mintprincess

Well at this point if we don't talk about something we won't get anywhere?  I mean no one has a clue to who is bad.  :/

Verasaille

Oh this game is far from doing the obvious! Yes, it is not always wise to talk about your powers. In fact I am a bit suspicious of those who do, because they can be lying.

I have not played this before either, not this way anyhow. I am not sure I like the strictness of the defined roles. Still getting used to it.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Remiel

Mint, a Tiefling has demonic blood, I believe.  Usually they are the spawn of incubi/succubi and mortals.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Remiel on February 03, 2016, 01:39:40 PM
Mint, a Tiefling has demonic blood, I believe.  Usually they are the spawn of incubi/succubi and mortals.

Hot!!

Mintprincess

Ooooh!

Also Vera the rules say you can't claim to do things you can't do.  So if someone talks about something they did they should be telling the truth. 

You may not pretend to take any actions that you do not have the power to take (i.e. post that you are killing someone during the day if you do not have this ability).

#not pretending!

Verasaille

But there is also this:

The bad guys and any third parties that exist have been given fake roles to claim. These fake roles will also be revealed when they flip.

So a fake role means they can say things that would indicate what they might be able to do, not necessarily what they can?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

RedPhoenix

questions asked:  can we lie about our powers or not?

Yes. You can.

What you cannot do is make it look like you're using a power you don't have.

Example: 

I am using my power to steal bob's hat.

Is not allowed unless you actually have that power.

On the other hand:

"I can take anyone's hat anytime I want. I'm looking at you bob."

Is perfectly okay even if it is a complete lie.

Carry on! :)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Mintprincess

I guess that makes it more clear.   So... Now what do we do?

Galactic Druid

I'm still on board the "Lynch Remiel or Strangefate" train. Choo Choo!!

RedPhoenix

Votecount!

Elimination

3 - James Moriarty (Blythe, Remiel, Verasaille)
2 - Verasaille (James Moriarty, Mintprincess)
1 - Remiel (ThatRPGuy)
1 - Nobody (Strangefate)

Exploration

3 - Against (Strangefate, ThatRPGuy, Verasaille)
2 - In Favor (Mintprincess, Remiel)

(You don't need to vote against exploring, since not exploring wins by default, but since people are voting for it I may as well count it!)

Boots of Elvenkind

2 - Strangefate (Remiel, Strangefate)
1 - King Serperior (King Serperior)
1 - Remiel (Mintprincess)
1 - Verasaille (Verasaille)

With 11 votes in Play, it will take 6 to decide! The day will end 6 PM PST on Friday, or when a party member has six votes to be thrown out!

36 1/2 hours until deadline!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Galactic Druid

Okay, if town doesn't start eliminating players, we're going to lost for certain. In that interest, I am changing my vote to James Moriarty, since he already holds majority, and it's very clear Remi won't win this round's votes. Still think you're shady, Remi.

Strangefate

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on February 03, 2016, 08:33:53 AM
Say, Fate, I'd sure like to know why you've voted for Nobody on day 3...

Because I honestly don’t feel throwing someone out at random is a great idea.  In these kind of games I think voting is really important but we’re all just guessing at this point.  So I don’t know if we’ll get much information out of it.  The only ones who know anything about who to vote against are the killers.  So I feel like the odds are very much against us making the right choice.  We’re probably going to eliminate one of our own, and then go on a wild goose chase trying to eliminate the people who voted for that person.

I also disagree with your stance on the dungeon after thinking about it further.  Enough so that I’m changing my vote.  The powers change things.  They could potentially make gambling on random eliminations (which always favors the villains IMO, just due to simple numbers) unnecessary.  Right now we still have more heroes than killers presumably, which means the balance of powers and magical items favors us.  We should want more of them, not less. 

Basically you’re arguing that we can’t explore the dungeon because a hero might die and that’s too risky.  We have to eliminate someone however, even though the odds are in favor of it being one of us rather than a killer.  I find the logic a little inconsistent, and am not sure I trust you at this point. 

I would like to change my vote to I Want to Explore the Dungeon

And I also want Bob's hat  :P
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Galactic Druid

I'm pretty sure not every hero is going to develop powers, and stand by that exploring is a bad idea until at least one baddie is off the table.

My reasoning that we NEED to start eliminating players during the day phase is because it is literally impossible to win if we just proceed to the night phase every round without trying to do anything, giving the baddies a chance to slowly trim us down, meanwhile every day phase everyone is making more info public just to try to get the ball rolling. Right now we are on a path to simply hand the game to the bad guys.

Hopefully everyone here knows that a wrong guess for elimination isn't instant guilt. The fact is, we're on the third round, down three people in two days, even without a night kill one night and zero lynching. That is a way bad rate of loss for our team, even if one of those was neutral. We can't afford to keep doing nothing. We can't afford to keep risking more losses. We can't afford to keep making our potential roles public when we're an open buffet for team evil.

Strangefate

But we also risk a loss when we vote to eliminate someone based on guesswork.  The odds almost certainly favor the killers.  I can’t imagine there’s more than a couple of them.  My hope is with powers someone will identify one, come forward, and we can eliminate that person, even if it costs that person their life in the night phase.  I doubt we have to find very many to win.  Throwing someone out just to throw someone out I feel hurts us more than them though, unless we get really lucky.  At least when we risk the dungeon, we should gain more than they do in terms of powers and magical items.  I admit I have no idea how it works though in terms of who gets what or when.

I agree people shouldn’t be revealing their powers in public though.  If I was a killer I’d be focusing in on that and picking them off for sure.  Hopefully with the powers people are contacting each other in private though.  There was no kill this past night phase so maybe there’s a bodyguard-like character and he/she saved someone?  They should be working together now if so.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Remiel

I agree with Guy that we need to start lynching people, but I strongly disagree with him that not exploring the dungeon is our best bet.    At this point, if we do nothing, the bad guys will win.  Period.

Also, the inactives are killing us

* Remiel kicks the inactives, particularly James Moriarty, Madame Professor, and Persephone.