Gaddafi -- What a jerk

Started by Missy, September 01, 2011, 01:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzie Aditi

From the first time I've seen and heard him speak on television, I thought he was one sandwich short of a picnic. His speeches were almost comedy to watch and were usually followed by a lot of "he said what?!" comments. Dangerous man nonetheless, completely self-centered and to be that way in a position of power..well..we all saw what happened.

However, the news about him the last few days has made me sick to my stomach. Yes, he was an awful man who hurt a lot of people (this is an understatement, obviously), but all the things I've seen are downright inhuman. The Libyan people have stooped to his level by being this way and being proud of it. This was, in my opinion, not the way to handle things.   

"The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back."

</devil's advocate>
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

krakenknight

Quote from: Scribbles on October 21, 2011, 02:52:42 PM
I couldn't watch the whole video of his capture... Even if he was "evil" I'm not sure anyone deserves to be treated like that.

Oddly enough, many young Africans are outraged over this event. They see it as a grab for Libyan resources by the "imperialists".

If you're talking about the ANC Youth league then its more a case of Gaddafi was funding them but yeah.

Quote from: Izzie Aditi on October 22, 2011, 11:50:28 AM
From the first time I've seen and heard him speak on television, I thought he was one sandwich short of a picnic. His speeches were almost comedy to watch and were usually followed by a lot of "he said what?!" comments. Dangerous man nonetheless, completely self-centered and to be that way in a position of power..well..we all saw what happened.

However, the news about him the last few days has made me sick to my stomach. Yes, he was an awful man who hurt a lot of people (this is an understatement, obviously), but all the things I've seen are downright inhuman. The Libyan people have stooped to his level by being this way and being proud of it. This was, in my opinion, not the way to handle things.   

"The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back."

</devil's advocate>

You never heard his "United States of Africa" proposal. Of course he would have been president for life

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: krakenknight on October 22, 2011, 12:43:07 PM
You never heard his "United States of Africa" proposal. Of course he would have been president for life

I have, as a matter of fact. I'm however not sure how that is relevant to the point I've been trying to make. Yes, it's better that he is dead and buried, again..I'm completely agreeing that he was one pashmina short of a wardrobe. I'm mainly pointing out this whole aftermath is disrespectful. Does a man that horrible deserve respect one could ask, he surely never showed anyone a lot of respect. I'm somewhat torn about that myself as well, given how many people suffered under his regime. However, I would've found it more suitable had they just announced his death and be done with it. He doesn't deserve all the "television time" he's getting now, and as pointed out before, people will see him as a martyr.   
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

krakenknight

Quote from: Izzie Aditi on October 22, 2011, 01:05:51 PM
I have, as a matter of fact. I'm however not sure how that is relevant to the point I've been trying to make. Yes, it's better that he is dead and buried, again..I'm completely agreeing that he was one pashmina short of a wardrobe. I'm mainly pointing out this whole aftermath is disrespectful. Does a man that horrible deserve respect one could ask, he surely never showed anyone a lot of respect. I'm somewhat torn about that myself as well, given how many people suffered under his regime. However, I would've found it more suitable had they just announced his death and be done with it. He doesn't deserve all the "television time" he's getting now, and as pointed out before, people will see him as a martyr.

I'll agree with what you're saying the way that the circus around the man's death has erupted is shameful, however at least he got knocked off by his own people and since he's a muslim they'll bury him before the week's out.

I will mention that there are groups heaviliy pushing his image back into the limelight. They're the people he bankrolled and buddied up to in order to further his selfish agenda. They need him to be a martyr because it further's their own image.

I wish that someone would account for the huge sums of money he funnelled into destabilising and buying off the continent's leadership.
One of the main reasons that the AU dragged its feet on recognising the NTC because half its sub saharan members owed Gaddafi a favour or 2. (ANC, ZANU PF SWAPO and the current govt of Mozambique all owe they're rise to power to Libyan oil money).

Scribbles

Quote from: krakenknight on October 22, 2011, 12:43:07 PM
If you're talking about the ANC Youth league then its more a case of Gaddafi was funding them but yeah.

No, the African youth in general. Not all of them of course but there is already a heavy anti-West sentiment developing amongst many of the young in Africa. I should probably mention that this is based off what I've seen and heard as well as what I've managed to gleam from the media, so I could be wrong.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

krakenknight

Quote from: Scribbles on October 22, 2011, 01:59:28 PM
No, the African youth in general. Not all of them of course but there is already a heavy anti-West sentiment developing amongst many of the young in Africa.

Which African youth? I'm an African youth (24) and I think the French did is a service arming the rebels. I can acknowledge that there is an anti-western sentiment in many African countries mostly driven by inept leaders blaming local problems on america, a belief helpfully enforced by America's bizarre foreign policy and the cultural climate of denial here in Africa.

Truthfully most African youths have no idea what they want, poverty unemployment and lack of constructive education is breeding an underclass of people easy to indoctrinate in their leader's schemes of patronage.

Oniya

The constant parading of Gaddafi is reminding me of the old Wild West posters where they would show a dead outlaw.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zakharra

Quote from: Izzie Aditi on October 22, 2011, 01:05:51 PM

People will see him as a martyr anyways and the ones that rebelled against him have 40 odd years of rightful anger, hatred and frustration to let out. Like it or not, he was the symbol of their repression and they can now let it out fully. Besides, it's a pivotal moment in Libya.

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: Zakharra on October 22, 2011, 02:47:02 PM
People will see him as a martyr anyways and the ones that rebelled against him have 40 odd years of rightful anger, hatred and frustration to let out. Like it or not, he was the symbol of their repression and they can now let it out fully. Besides, it's a pivotal moment in Libya.
I didn't say I couldn't fully see where they're coming from, I think I've made that completely clear in my last two messages. I was merely pointing out my dislike of the way they decided to deal with it and how the media -here in Europe anyway- have decided to air this story.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on October 22, 2011, 02:42:22 PM
The constant parading of Gaddafi is reminding me of the old Wild West posters where they would show a dead outlaw.

True, but many of the really graphic pictures come from the mobile phones of soldiers and ordinary people in the area. If the death of princess Diana had happened now, you'd have had really close-up pictures of her in the car wreck in the papers a few days after. In the fifteen years in between, phone cameras and small video recorders have spread to most parts of the world.

I saw a two-page spread of a picture with the man dead, lying on back and bleeding from the head and stomach surrounded by young Libyan fighters, taken by a pro news photographer with an Arabic name. It was very graphic and, I would say, nicely compositioned (tv channels in the Middle East, like al-Jazeera, have been more willing to show the really grisly amateur pictures than e.g. BBC or CNN)

Two out of three of the guys in the pic were waving their cell phones - they either were taking pictures of him or had already snapped some.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Scribbles

Quote from: krakenknight on October 22, 2011, 02:05:25 PM
Which African youth?

As I said, I'm talking in general. I'd be hardpressed to point out a specific group or organisation.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time