What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Quote from: AmberStarfire on May 09, 2016, 12:11:08 PM
Who's to say his life is 'all that'? Everyone has their burdens to bear and their difficult things to deal with. I'm sure he does too.

Your forgetting he is overweight in a country where 90% of everyone else is so starved that collectively they have become smaller over the years. And sends people to literal death and concentration camps.

His only burden is that tiny occasional tear of his lost humanity, before he goes right back to abusing his people, just like his father and his father before him.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 09, 2016, 12:17:56 PM
Your forgetting he is overweight in a country where 90% of everyone else is so starved that collectively they have become smaller over the years. And sends people to literal death and concentration camps.

His only burden is that tiny occasional tear of his lost humanity, before he goes right back to abusing his people, just like his father and his father before him.

Exactly. he's not fat, he is healthily plump. It's a sign of how he (and his cronies) are the only ones who get good food, and as much of it as they can want. He doesn't have anything to cry over, because he's too evil and self-absorbed to care about his people.

Lustful Bride

80 year old great grandmother came home to find her husband beaten to the ground by a robber and proceeded to kill the robber.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/granny-who-killed-home-intruder-says-im-not-your-typical-granny/vi-BBsMqgp?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I hope I can be as badass a grandmamma in my twilight years. Also I bet her grandkids will be on their best behavior now when they visit X3 hahahah

AmberStarfire

I thought you were talking about Keanu, but even so, my comment applies to anyone. No one's life is perfect because it's life.

Far eyes

I would love to add being on trial in the Hague to that list.
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Lustful Bride

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/chinas-crackdown-on-christian-churches/ar-BBsONQI?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

China seems to be putting pressure on local Christians and churches, with some claiming it is to stamp out western/foreign influences in the country. Others claim the churches they punish are embezzeling money.

It could just be crying wolf or maybe it is true. I am on the fence but it is not as if China hasn't done such things before (Look at what occurred to the Buddhists). Either way im crossing China off of my bucket list.

Far eyes

Not really sure, i am kind of surprised there are even christian churches there. First time i hear about it
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Far eyes

Actually talking about China... the place that should be sent a large supply of muscle relaxant, so they stop puckering up quiet that hard.
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-36226141

A/A

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Far eyes on May 09, 2016, 05:00:05 PM
Not really sure, i am kind of surprised there are even christian churches there. First time i hear about it

If I remember correctly, there are authorised christian churchs, but the clergy has to be appointed by the government, which runs them into conflict (at least with the catholic variety) who would see that as an usurpion of power that belongs to the Pope. Unauthorised ones tend to be more decentralised, ad hoc, home based things.

It's been a while since I read anything about that though, so I may be a bit fuzzy on the details.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Far eyes on May 09, 2016, 05:00:05 PM

Christians have been in china for a long long time and even held out against mao's cultural revolution.
There is however a law on the books that they cannot answer to any outside authority, and combine that with the fact in order to get anywhere you have to join the CCP, and to be a CCP member you must be athiest...

Anyways christian groups are basically guilty of garnering influence with locals by doing what churches are supposed to do... treating people with kindness, respect, helping the poor, sick, and in need.
This represents a threat to the Party... they receive little to outside official help from Christians in other lands (any aid is confiscated by authorities) but still manage to bring people together and help those in need. It is important to point out these are not Evangelical churches from the US or Anglicans from England, some are Catholics cut off from the papacy, but the majority are homegrown Chinese christian groups. They've grown by leaps and bounds.

Basically they help those the party ignores (such as providing a source of clean water or treating those affected by pollution which officially does not exist, or giving factory workers enough hope not to kill themselves) and they subtly imply there is a higher power than The Party just by existing.
This makes them
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

gaggedLouise

The front-runner of the Filipino presidential election is not your ordinary kind of Roman Catholic, in the most solidly catholic country of Asia.

"Pope, you son of a bitch, go home" and a pointer to the traffic jam is a really unusual kind of greeting when Pope Francis makes an official visit to town  ::) (or in this case, it was said almost a year later, but with a throwback to when the visit happened).

More seriously, Mr. Duterte as vice-mayor for more than twenty years used to be affiliated with vigilante shooting squads working with their own brutal "on the spot" methods in the slums of one of the most violent crime-ridden cities in the country.  :-( He summed up his philosophy in the words, ""Summary execution of criminals remains the most effective way to crush kidnapping and illegal drugs". And he doesn't mean, after a trial or even access to a lawyer. Just rounded up in the street or in some backyard.

(Links: Manila Times and News.com (Australia))

"This country has a tradition of colourful politicians" someone said on the news. Right.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Far eyes

Lol lovely, now i am not in the Pope Francis fan club he can go jump off the same bridge as a couple of other people but as far as Popes go he is the best one we have seen. There is a saying here, to directly translate it "Best Rabbit on the Fish market" thats kind of how i feel about Pope Francis

A/A

Blythe

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 10, 2016, 02:44:46 AM
The front-runner of the Filipino presidential election is not your ordinary kind of Roman Catholic, in the most solidly catholic country of Asia.

"Pope, you son of a bitch, go home" and a pointer to the traffic jam is a really unusual kind of greeting when Pope Francis makes an official visit to town  ::) (or in this case, it was said almost a year later, but with a throwback to when the visit happened).

More seriously, Mr. Duterte as vice-mayor for more than twenty years used to be affiliated with vigilante shooting squads working with their own brutal "on the spot" methods in the slums of one of the most violent crime-ridden cities in the country.  :-( He summed up his philosophy in the words, ""Summary execution of criminals remains the most effective way to crush kidnapping and illegal drugs". And he doesn't mean, after a trial or even access to a lawyer. Just rounded up in the street or in some backyard.

(Links: Manila Times and News.com (Australia))

"This country has a tradition of colourful politicians" someone said on the news. Right.

Isn't this the same fellow who made that very horrifying gang rape comment?

Duterte scares the hell out of me. :/

Lustful Bride

Iranian American Marine is suing Iran for torture he endured while imprisoned in Iran.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/former-us-marine-sues-iran-over-torture-while-held-captive/ar-BBsSnUy?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

You know what? I hope he wins, four years of torture, shit id ask for one hundred hand written apologies from everyone in the Iranian government. :P

They probably would fake it or not do it at all, but you gotta aim high :-)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Skynet on May 10, 2016, 07:00:49 PM
Donald Trump's campaign hires a white supremacist to delegate for him in California.

Also on Vox, and LA Times, and NY Daily News.

The campaign says that it's an accident and a database error, yet I say "fool me once..."

Eh, I'll actually take TrumpCo at their word on this one. Trump hasn't been universally racist, he's specifically focused his rhetoric on Hispanics and Latinos, and I've seem some insightful-sounding commentary that suggests he's going to heavily court the black vote (who suffer disproportionately from unemployment) in a general election, on a note of "I'll get rid of all these illegal Mexicans so there's more jobs available for the inner-city black population." He's a walking political caricature, but I don't think he is actually a moron, and hiring a man who wants to deport 'the Negros' would torpedo any chances of getting black voters to support him.

Then again, I've also seen commentary that insists Trump is actually a paid stooge fronting for the Clinton campaign by deliberately presenting a worst-possible-alternative.

Lustful Bride

You know usually by now people have started accusing Candidates of being the Antichrist.

IT happened to Obama, and Bush, and Clinton (oddly enough). But not trump.

(PLOT TWIST: He really is the antichrist! _

TheGlyphstone

I get plenty of hits on Google for "Trump+Antichrist", sadly.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 10, 2016, 07:13:44 PM
I get plenty of hits on Google for "Trump+Antichrist", sadly.

Darn there goes my joke.

Also North Korea proving just how mad they are.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/topstories/north-korea-spins-creepy-communist-fantasy-with-newborn-triplets/ar-BBsRzIG?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I can feel my grandfather going (Korean War Vet)  "See! ITs what ive always been saying! Their evil! Its not just the PTSD!!"

TheGlyphstone

Isn't that article just saying the exact same thing we've all known for years? It's a creepy, isolationist and oppressive place that practices Potemkin Villages on a scale even Russia never dreamed of?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 10, 2016, 07:34:39 PM
Isn't that article just saying the exact same thing we've all known for years? It's a creepy, isolationist and oppressive place that practices Potemkin Villages on a scale even Russia never dreamed of?

Meh needs to be said, :P

TheGlyphstone

Though since I apparently love playing Devil's advocate - I honestly wonder what it's actually like to be inside the mind of someone like Jong Un? You've spent your entire life seeing yourself and your family glorified as living gods, including 33 years of watching your father rule exactly the way you are now, being groomed for the leadership post since you were 17 or even earlier. Your entire staff and government consists of sycophants and yes-men (because you get executed along with your family for dissenting) who ensure your every whim is met, and you rarely, if ever, even got to leave your own borders. China more or less bankrolls you because your temper tantrums are a headache for American and the other Western powers, freeing any need to be self-sufficient. He's unquestionably evil, but like the greatest of evil men through history, does he even realize it? Or is he even more brainwashed by North Korean propaganda than the North Koreans?

Skynet

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 10, 2016, 07:11:23 PM
Eh, I'll actually take TrumpCo at their word on this one. Trump hasn't been universally racist, he's specifically focused his rhetoric on Hispanics and Latinos, and I've seem some insightful-sounding commentary that suggests he's going to heavily court the black vote (who suffer disproportionately from unemployment) in a general election, on a note of "I'll get rid of all these illegal Mexicans so there's more jobs available for the inner-city black population." He's a walking political caricature, but I don't think he is actually a moron, and hiring a man who wants to deport 'the Negros' would torpedo any chances of getting black voters to support him.

Then again, I've also seen commentary that insists Trump is actually a paid stooge fronting for the Clinton campaign by deliberately presenting a worst-possible-alternative.

This may very well be true that it's been a mistake, but when folks like David Duke are disproportionately coming out in favor of you, and a lot of your most popular online fanbases* on Reddit and elsewhere cozy up to such people (/r/european's a Neo-Nazi subreddit), if you really want to be clear of actual white supremacists you'd be super-de-duper careful as to preventing stuff like this from happening again. But the fact that it keeps happening makes me unwilling to give the Trump campaign the benefit of the doubt anymore.

* /r/the_donald isn't an official subreddit of Trump's, but it's by far the most popular fan sub of his. A candidate is responsible for the base he gathers to an extent, and as far as I can tell the campaign's encouraging, not driving away, such elements.

TheGlyphstone

Well sure, they drive controversy, which means headlines, and Trump is first and foremost a showman. No sane politician is going to intentionally drive away potential voters, and as for the racists themselves, Trump is still the closest thing to an acceptable candidate they've had since the 60's, so they're going to idolize him as their Chosen One. He's going to milk the controversy for all it's worth, string them along as long as possible. For that matter, it could easily have been a 'mistake' as far as intended to stir up controversy like every other aspect of the Trump campaign. I'm just quite certain it wasn't intended to be a genuine candidate that Trump then backpedaled on, because the one thing he's been very consistent on is that he doesn't care what anyone else thinks. Even the David Duke thing he just waffled about and acted ignorant of for publicity.

Ultimately, if I had to make a unsupported assessment of Trump's actual attitude, I'd say he is anti-foreigner, rather than simply racist. He's made comments against Hispanics/Mexicans, against Muslims, against most people who aren't American - he wants protectionism re-instated. But he doesn't think of black people as 'foreign', so they don't register on his radar at all (ignoring the question of African immigrants, but no one asks about that for obvious reasons). The racists see him railing against Hispanics/Arabs and assume, like I think you might be, if you're racist against one group you must be racist against all of them.

Lustful Bride

Mentally Disturbed man committed a Mass Stabbing in a Massachusets Mall. His rampage ended when an off duty Deputy shot him.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man-behind-mall-stabbings-described-as-mentally-disturbed/ar-BBsTfzw?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

According to his family he had not been getting adequate mental care and there had been signs of this long in advance.

They aren't saying how many injured and dead there are yet.

The Mental Health system in the US is more broken than the veterans hospitals.  -_-