My Kingdom for a New Video Game!

Started by Inkidu, August 01, 2010, 02:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on August 03, 2010, 05:36:33 PM
I just don't see where Blizzard gets the collective cajones to make people wait more than a decade for a sequel and then make them pay what 180 dollars for all three parts. Still, this isn't my thread to harp on Blizzard. I'm trying to find a new game on the cheap so I don't just die of boredom.

I am playing a bit of Rise of Nations but how man times can you totally crush Kim Il Sun in the Inchon Offensive before that gets dull again?

Personally, Ink, I don't think it was Blizzard's idea.

We all know how much Activision loves Money over Quality, and believes that the public will buy any piece of **** they turn out, and they WILL turn it out just to make a profit...

Soo..I think that Activision (Who owns Blizzard now.) forced them to split it into three games to get more money out of what they knew was one of the most anticipated sequels of all time.

That's my theory, anyway.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on August 03, 2010, 05:41:30 PM
Personally, Ink, I don't think it was Blizzard's idea.

We all know how much Activision loves Money over Quality, and believes that the public will buy any piece of **** they turn out, and they WILL turn it out just to make a profit...

Soo..I think that Activision (Who owns Blizzard now.) forced them to split it into three games to get more money out of what they knew was one of the most anticipated sequels of all time.

That's my theory, anyway.
That may or may not be the case, I think it's more of the fact that Blizzard had it sitting in development so long that they had a ton of ideas to use and saw dollar signs and again Blizzard didn't seem to have a problem selling out so... back on topic... now. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Darksiders?
Fallout 3?
Dragon Age?
Mass Effect 2?
Mass Effect 1?
Lost Odyssey?

O-o

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on August 03, 2010, 06:16:15 PM
Darksiders?
Fallout 3?
Dragon Age?
Mass Effect 2?
Mass Effect 1?
Lost Odyssey?

O-o
Struck out on all of them, Wolfy. I've owned or own all of 'em but Darksiders and that I'm not going to play again.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Cheap, good games?

The Darkness?
Chronicles of Riddick?

Just off the top of my head ...

Oniya

Have you hit up the freeware sites yet?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Geeklet

If you can ever download anything, check out Alien Swarm. Its free on Steam, and its a fun little game. Hopefully once the community has its hands on it for a little longer, some good user-made campaigns will start floating around.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on August 03, 2010, 07:22:40 PM
Cheap, good games?

The Darkness?
Chronicles of Riddick?

Just off the top of my head ...
Did not like the first, played the second to death. I love me some Riddick.

Freeware gets iffy because I can't really download anything substantial and I have to wait to like when the seventh of every month so I can use what remains of my allowance to download it.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on August 03, 2010, 05:28:57 PM
They already did..when they tried the whole "Real ID on forums" thing that would force you to use your REAL NAME on their forums....that..kind of backfired...A LOT.

My understanding is that one of the Developers had his name/address and other data posted as an example of why it was a BAD idea.. and the post vanished along with the Read ID idea in the forums. In like MINUTES

Wolfy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 04, 2010, 02:59:43 PM

My understanding is that one of the Developers had his name/address and other data posted as an example of why it was a BAD idea.. and the post vanished along with the Read ID idea in the forums. In like MINUTES

Exactly..because you know who is on the internet? 4chan.

and the first rule of the internet: don't piss off 4chan. o-o

And I'm pretty sure the whole RealID thing had the 4chan players pissed off alot. o-o

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on August 04, 2010, 02:52:18 PM
Did not like the first, played the second to death. I love me some Riddick.

Freeware gets iffy because I can't really download anything substantial and I have to wait to like when the seventh of every month so I can use what remains of my allowance to download it.

Judging from what you've said you like, you might be able to waste a couple hours with these:

http://military.discovery.com/games/games.html
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

akalasEDGE

Kingdom hearts!
Avernum! (www.spiderwebsoftware.com)
Darwinia! (http://www.introversion.co.uk/darwinia/)
Pokemon!
There's so many games in the world... and many of them are delightfully original. Some aren't, sure, but even some of the unoriginal clones can be fun. Sometimes when I'm bored, I'll just go back and try to re-play something, no matter how ancient it is.

Wolfy

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on August 04, 2010, 11:19:57 PM
Red Dead Redemption.

/topic! o3o

Oh, I beg to differ.

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Hmm. I'm running out of ideas here. It seems your problem isn't so much that you can't find any games, as you've played them all. I have the same problem, and there's no cure!

Inkidu

Thank Oniya, They'll kill some hours.

Edge: They look kind of like a series and that's a lot of money to put forward to play it chronologically.
I also despise Kingdom Hearts with venom. I'm kind of burned out on Pokemon too. The problem is they're all the same game. Play one you've pretty much played 'em all.

Thanks for your suggestions and I might try to look some of those up later when I'm not so pressured on the wallet.

I played, loved and beat RDR twice. Wolfy.

Also played and beat Red Faction: Guerrilla, Hemingway.

I know I'm hard to please. I do play a lot of games though.

Tsais

[Ons&Offs]
As she laughed I was aware of becoming involved in her laughter and being part of it, until her teeth were only accidental stars with a talent for squad-drill. I was drawn in by short gasps, inhaled at each momentary recovery, lost finally in the dark caverns of her throat, bruised by the ripple of unseen muscles. An elderly waiter with trembling hands was hurriedly spreading a pink and white checked cloth over a rusty green iron table, saying: "If the lady and gentleman wish to take their tea in the garden, if the lady and gentleman wish to take their tea in the garden..." I decided that if the shaking of her breasts could be stopped, some of the fragments of the afternoon might be collected, and I concentrated my attention with careful subtlety to this end.
[Entertain Me]

Craz

Just about anything from the Total War series? It's strategy, but it's awesome in that it's turn-based on the campaign, but the battles are in real time. Then again, I'm a histori-junkie.

Blood Bowl's pretty fun, if you like sports games and humor.

Inkidu

Quote from: Tsais on August 05, 2010, 08:02:22 PM
The Witcher! Love that game ^.^
Got it.

Craz: I'm not a big fan of Total War. The battles take so long to position and breaching the larger structures like forts and castles takes as long as a real siege would. Plus I would like to stay away from PC. I've said it before it's just not a superior platform as far as finances are concerned. I'm not a big sports fan either. Thanks for trying though.

I'm looking for something I've not played in the current generation. I'm finding out that's not a lot...

Jude

As far as I'm aware you don't have a PS3 so these are 360 suggestions (some are available on PC as well):

Deadly Premonition (budget game, can get it for under 20 used), Miner Dig Deep (Indie game on XBL for 80 points or 1$), Shadow Complex (XBLA title from last year, I loved it), if you're looking for a Western RPG type feel, I think the Borderlands DLC is on sale this week, you could pick up a copy and check that out.  It's a bit Western RPGish (like a shooter-heavy version of Fallout, I think, still very fun).  Operation Darkness, a very quaint SRPG that is actually pretty fun and different.

Wolfy

Don't, however, get borderlands if you want a deep story. o-o

Craz

Snoopy: Flying Ace. It's a pretty gun fame. Sotrta a this-generation Crimson Skies.

TheWriter

Alpha Protocol.  Yeah, everyone panned it because it took so long to come out, and it wasn't as good as Mass Effect 2 (what is?), but that shouldn't deter you from getting what really is a great game.  What Mass Effect claims to do with its conversations that change the course of the game, Alpha Protocol actually does with its more complex but just as intuitive take on it; there is no good guy/bad guy path, there are just different paths.  I've been having an absolute ball with it.

Wolfy

You could get Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection..to experience the Genesis days...Legally, anyway. <_<>_> o3o

mannik

Have you given Alan Wake a try? The animations aren't all that great but the story is really good and the game play is fun....if a bit difficult.

Jude

I have to disagree with Mannik partly:  the story of Alan Wake is good, but the gameplay is terrible in my opinion.  Feels really dated; standard go from one location to another and kill things with a lack of progress (zero RPG elements).  It's fun for a quick playthrough on a rental if you can stand the repetitive combat and environments however, but don't expect replay value.

And I'd argue that Alpha Protocol is better than Mass Effect 2 to a certain kind of gamer:  the kind who likes hardcore RPGs ala Fallout 1 & 2 (but not 3 so much).  It's a much more behind-the-scenes dice-heavy game.  Mass Effect 2 was basically a Third-Person Shooter with heavy RPG story elements but light RPG gameplay elements.