News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Practical way to keep track of stuff?

Started by Nachtmahr, January 15, 2015, 03:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nachtmahr

Hello!

So.. This is not so much me having an actual issue with the site - This time the issue seems to be all mine actually. I'm sort of struggling to keep track of all my threads in a way that doesn't stress me out by leaving me to stare at five hundred bookmarks and so on.

Assuming that I'm not breaking any rules by asking this here: How do you keep track of your stuff on this site? Do you just bookmark everything, or do you have a better way? Or is there any way to alter the bookmark system to be a little more user friendly?

Now that I'm add it, there wouldn't happen to be some way to ignore certain threads in your 'Show new replies to your posts' tab? When you participate in a lot of different social threads the feature quickly becomes somewhat useless because of how it will be flooded by a ton of social threads and so on - Some of which you may not even have posted in for months or longer.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Bloodied Porcelain

I have a combination of ways to keep track... I have all the threads I RP in/talk in (usually just OOCs/A&As/and game threads) bookmarked, but I also have a list of the main threads (I'm in a number of groups, and most of them have at least a recruitment thread that has a list of all the other threads I might need) in my first post of my A/A thread. This list only changes when I add/drop games, so it's always there. This also means that I only need to bookmark a thread I'm actively playing in, in case a game I'm in has a lot (and several of my group games have 10+ threads at a time, and I obviously don't need them all, all the time). Then, I have a "to do" list, which I update daily with a new post. For example this is today's. I'm OCD enough that if something is "pending" I have to mark it as such, and I have so many games and several fast-posting partners that I also tend to mark posts that just came in that day so I don't feel overwhelmed if I have to add a post to the list while I'm working on my back log.

Obviously how complex or simple your to do list is depends on your workload/individual needs, but that's how I keep track. I just do a daily update and mark things off as I finish them. And then when I put up a new to do list, I just quote the old one, make the edits, remove the quote tags, and post. And the old post gets hidden in a spoiler so I don't get confused. :)

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is, I promise. xD
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Nachtmahr

Gosh.. That does sound rather complicated though! xD

Another thing is that if I were to keep a list like that, I'd really prefer it be more private and not publicly available to everyone. It's just a thing for me of course, but I don't feel like sharing all that information in such an unfiltered capacity. I couldn't really tell you why I feel like that, I guess I just feel like it could perhaps cause some sort of conflict with partners or other people involved in the threads and such.

I also definitely wouldn't be able to keep a to-do list. :P E is my hobby, it's what I do to relax and unwind. Keeping track of things like that and having to focus on keeping everything up to date and such stresses me out more than anything. x3

Thanks for the tip though - If there is a way to make an on-site private list for threads and such I'd probably like to look into that.

Thesunmaid

well on things that you don't want to book mark but want to know if someone replies to you can just hit the notify button and have it email you when there is a reply. I also also like bloodied keep a list of my active rps in its own post on my on's and off's page in case someone wants to read my posts and see what my writing style is. I personally don't bother with a dropped rp list..past is the past. but hopefully this is helpful?
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Nachtmahr on January 15, 2015, 03:43:15 PM
Gosh.. That does sound rather complicated though! xD

Another thing is that if I were to keep a list like that, I'd really prefer it be more private and not publicly available to everyone. It's just a thing for me of course, but I don't feel like sharing all that information in such an unfiltered capacity. I couldn't really tell you why I feel like that, I guess I just feel like it could perhaps cause some sort of conflict with partners or other people involved in the threads and such.

I also definitely wouldn't be able to keep a to-do list. :P E is my hobby, it's what I do to relax and unwind. Keeping track of things like that and having to focus on keeping everything up to date and such stresses me out more than anything. x3

Thanks for the tip though - If there is a way to make an on-site private list for threads and such I'd probably like to look into that.

You can PM yourself. :) That keeps it nice and private. I PM myself anything that is a WIP (usually sheets and idea pitches and the like) so I can work on it anywhere and no one but me will see it till it's ready.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Nachtmahr

Thank you Sunmaid, it is!

PM'ing myself could also work.

Hmm.. If I were to make any suggestions in terms of what the site needs, I'd say that it's a way to sort your bookmarks into different groups or folders. :P Of course I don't have any real idea of what that would take, or if it's even possible.

I suppose that making a list of stories that have reached a certain length where they would actually provide a worthwhile sample of my writing might not be a bad idea really. it would definitely help people get an idea of what to expect I suppose.

I just like to keep old, dead stories around if only just so that I might go back and read through the ones I was particularly fond of. Some might argue that, since that is the case, I should just make a lost of those stories - But then I'm afraid of upsetting the people whose stories didn't make it on there for whatever reason. x3

Oreo

You can also use your gmail as a form of keeping your RP threads up to date/organized. Along with the notify tab, you can use the gmail stars or icons (different colors) to mark which are replied to and which need a reply. This also saves a copy of your entire RP in gmail. Double win.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Nachtmahr

Wish that was an option, but I have pretty much given up on Gmail. I barely use any kind of E-mail as a matter of fact.  :-[

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

kylie

Something simpler, less dynamic but more private maybe?  Word etc. files in folders on your own hard drives?  It's not self-organizing or "high tech," but you can open just that window and see all the folder titles at once.  And it's not going anywhere either (That is, provided your computer doesn't crash someday - so maybe an external drive or an occasional backup would feel still safer.) 

Though depending why exactly you dislike Gmail, it might not be so much different.  I'm not really sure. 

Also not sure if I missed any conditions above that might not fulfill.  But anyway, I still do this quite a bit for stuff I may want to find again like character sheets, longer introductory posts, or just those threads I really liked so far. 

stormkitten

This thread might be of some  use?

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=65965.msg2932770#msg2932770

Specifically for  'Show new replies to your posts'....

Show New Replies to Your Posts
Show new replies to your posts is merely a listing of all the threads in which you have ever posted that have had a reply since you posted. This list can be quite long and can't be pruned. Remember posting in the Google Wars thread when you first joined? It'll show up. To use this function, select the "Show new replies to your posts." link in the upper right corner of any screen.

Click on the "New" and you will be taken to the first new post after your last.

Show Unread Posts Since Last Visit
This is an effective solution if you are interested in any posts to any thread within the Board. For example, if you are active in a sub-board game you can have a report that is similar to your bookmarks page or the "show new replies to your posts" link only for designated Boards. This requires a few steps:

1. Visit your Ignore Boards Options in your forums profile. You will see something similar to:

2. Select which Boards you do NOT want to show up in your custom search.

3. Click "Change Profile" at the bottom of the screen.

Once this has been set up, you can select the "Show new replies to your posts" in the upper left corner of Elliquiy.
"I thought of a wonderful present for you. Shall I give you despair?"

~Twisted Romance & Dark Tales~
*Extreme: Pregnancy & Breeding* 
ONS and OFFS